05-12-2014 11:55 AM
61 123
tools
    I'm not sure I understand this post. You start with trying to focus on socioeconomic conditions and then get into a rant about your local politician. Herein lies part of the problem. We insist that we're trying to be bipartisan but then we look back at failed policies and point and scream till we're blue in the face. I can't speak for your political leadership's past failures, and I actually don't believe in some of the left wing policies (telling someone they can't have a beverage above a certain size, telling families they can't have guns to protect themselves when criminals are armed to the teeth, etc) but I don't think the heart of this issue is just "Lets teach them how to raise their children".

Do you know how many people in the inner cities have tried for the American Dream only to be in the same squalor after years of hard work? The opportunity for attaining the American Dream isn't the same for everyone. Some people aren't even given a place at the starting line. Look at public education. If you're a poor minority, I have news for you, you're not going to get a quality education. If you're a white youth in an affluent area, you're going to get a good education. The only reason I can see not wanting to give someone an opportunity is because some people feel that they may surpass expectations, which is kind of sad. I say let the creme rise to the top regardless of background or skin color. We do ourselves a disservice as a society when we let skin color, gender, or race play a role in deciding who succeeds and who doesn't.
    The fact that we're talking about the bluest county in the nation and you want to sit there and talk about "not getting an opportunity", hence all the violence. I'd say that speaks volumes. Like I've said before, you don't live here, so I don't expect you to know a thing about it. But you keep going on about the "hard working people who can't get ahead or get an opportunity". You are talking about another group of people (for the second time I've mentioned this), but you keep hanging on to this notion that that is who's causing all the problems in Chicago. We have a GANG and MOB action problem. Do you know a lot of gang members? Do they work full time jobs? You chastised me for not being empathetic towards them so I can only assume you know a lot or were one? Like I've said, we've gone with the gun restrictions, taxes up the ying yang, but the one thing we don't see is the leaders of these communities trying to fix the problem. Everyone is quick to point a finger at everyone else but themselves. I'm not surprised we have the problem we have when 72% of these mothers are young and having kids out of wedlock and the fathers are MIA. Why is it a shock that Jr. is gonna probably end up like daddy, dead or in prison. My father was a butcher and my mother did data-entry. I went to a high school they call Rolling Ghettos. I was far from living the rich white affluent life. I managed to stay out of jail and not knock up 3 different women, and I've never sold so much as an aspirin. I went to school with Latin Kings and Gangster Disciples with a few P.R. Stone.
    05-02-2014 02:22 PM
    .... I went to a high school they call Rolling Ghettos. I was far from living the rich white affluent life. I managed to stay out of jail and not knock up 3 different women, and I've never sold so much as an aspirin. I went to school with Latin Kings and Gangster Disciples with a few P.R. Stone.
    Steve, there are other people here from Chicago and I am betting your Rolling Ghettos high school is really Rolling Meadows, a quaint little suburb about 40 miles from the south side.
    HelloNNNewman, Paul627g and A895 like this.
    05-02-2014 02:37 PM
    And as I've already stated, all the gun laws in the world short of banning all firearms won't stop someone who: 1. Could care less about the rule of law. 2. Has no issue with putting you 6ft under. So your explanation falls flat.
    It doesn't fall flat at all. Will we ever stop gun violence in this country? No, not with the 2nd amenders in our midst. But we sure as hell can reduce it. Less accessibility = less ability. I've said it before I will say it again...it's just common sense. It seems like you want to throw your hands up and do nothing at all about the guns and instead think you can solve the entire problem just by raising children better. I agree that's a factor, but there are SO MANY factors here that addressing one and ignoring all the others solves absolutely nothing. But let's say for a minute that just raising kids better and somehow keeping parents together could solve this problem entirely. How long do you think that would take? How would you do it? And what would we do in the meantime?
    05-02-2014 02:41 PM
    And as I've already stated, all the gun laws in the world short of banning all firearms won't stop someone who: 1. Could care less about the rule of law. 2. Has no issue with putting you 6ft under. So your explanation falls flat. It falls flat because you can put up all the gun laws in every surrounding state, all you need is one guy who can pass a background check to procure the gun (he's gonna get paid for his services). Report the gun stolen, file down the serial number, and wa-la! Which is exactly what is happening. Come up with a gun law to stop that?

You really think a Gangster Disciple stopped for a moment on the street and said, "You know what, I wanna get a gun and pop that dude but I don't have my FOID card". The most restrictive gun laws in the state were in the City of Chicago/Cook County, not state wide. There were no gun shops within City limits, there were no ranges within city limits. I even think Daley banned water guns because he didn't want the little ones to get an itchy trigger fingers (sarcasm).
    Australia
    05-03-2014 05:10 PM
    Steve, there are other people here from Chicago and I am betting your Rolling Ghettos high school is really Rolling Meadows, a quaint little suburb about 40 miles from the south side.

OMG, it's such a ghetto, how ever did he survive?!?!?!?! http://www.google.com/maps/@42.06669...hzPPvM_u3w!2e0

I wonder why he hasn't posted in awhile....?!?!?!
    05-03-2014 05:14 PM
    TXGTOU--Why don't you tell us where you grew up so we can see what your back ground is? What ghetto do you call home? Pretty easy to cast stones while we are on a internet site. I admit that growing up in Rolling Meadows is not that same as growing up in Cabrini Greens but who knows if he grew up in the city and just happened to move there when he was older? Also why is this a race thing? Are you going to tell us that there are no privileged black families in the city or poor white families? Pretty sure we as a nation need to do a better job helping our poor achieve a better life, and that has nothing to do with skin color.

GadgetGator--So how do we fix the gun problem? Just ban them altogether? Please tell me why I, as a responsible gun owner, should A) not be able to buy a gun if I want to. B) Give up the guns I have because they have a problem in Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC etc?
    toober likes this.
    05-03-2014 07:30 PM
    TXGTOU--Why don't you tell us where you grew up so we can see what your back ground is? What ghetto do you call home? Pretty easy to cast stones while we are on a internet site. I admit that growing up in Rolling Meadows is not that same as growing up in Cabrini Greens but who knows if he grew up in the city and just happened to move there when he was older? Also why is this a race thing? Are you going to tell us that there are no privileged black families in the city or poor white families? Pretty sure we as a nation need to do a better job helping our poor achieve a better life, and that has nothing to do with skin color.

GadgetGator--So how do we fix the gun problem? Just ban them altogether? Please tell me why I, as a responsible gun owner, should A) not be able to buy a gun if I want to. B) Give up the guns I have because they have a problem in Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC etc?
    When someone is claiming that they grew up in a rough area to try and prove their point and the area they grew up in is not the "Compton" that they claim, why are they not supposed to be called out again? I never claim I grew up in the ghetto, although my parents did make it from a very modest background. I was actually fortunate enough to see the difference between schools where the local families made under $30,000 a year and schools where the parents of my peers were doctors and lawyers. I can say with no hesitation that there IS a big difference.
    A895 likes this.
    05-03-2014 10:50 PM
    Not sure I ever read that the other guy claimed to be from "Compton" or any other rough area but I do agree money makes a difference. I guarantee you two things, A) there are kids at Rolling Meadows HS that have parents that are doctors and/or lawyers and enjoy every thing that goes along with that life style and B) There are kids living out of cars wondering if they are going to eat dinner.

This has turned into a rant about Chicago politics and or class warfare neither of which has anything to do with the original post about the president going to Malaysia.
    05-04-2014 12:10 AM
    Not sure I ever read that the other guy claimed to be from "Compton" or any other rough area but I do agree money makes a difference. I guarantee you two things, A) there are kids at Rolling Meadows HS that have parents that are doctors and/or lawyers and enjoy every thing that goes along with that life style and B) There are kids living out of cars wondering if they are going to eat dinner.

This has turned into a rant about Chicago politics and or class warfare neither of which has anything to do with the original post about the president going to Malaysia.
    It does tie into human rights though. I still think we need to address our own human rights issues here before we start trying to tell other countries how to handle their human rights shortcomings.
    05-04-2014 11:29 PM
    Do you really think that red states are some sort of paradise under Republican leadership? And why do you keep bringing up gun laws? I explained to you already how they cannot work when adjacent states have less restrictions and people can just funnel them over state lines.
    I swear I just saw a report on data from red states and how they tend to be poorer and less educated than blue states. But don't quote me, might be a few weeks old.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    05-11-2014 06:52 PM
    I swear I just saw a report on data from red states and how they tend to be poorer and less educated than blue states. But don't quote me, might be a few weeks old.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    I am going to quote you just to put a bee in your bonnet!

What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican? – Cafferty File - CNN.com Blogs
    nolittdroid likes this.
    05-12-2014 11:55 AM
61 123