05-14-2014 01:01 PM
86 1234
tools
    I just don't see that happening. I didn't pay enough attention to the exact amounts they were talking, but it was a significant amount of money (millions) he would make by selling the team. The contract he signed gives the other owner the right to kick him out, which I am sure they'll do.

I still don't understand this relationship he was having with this woman that was 40 years younger than him. Talk about robbing the cradle.
    It's called money.

Posted via Android Central App
    04-29-2014 04:19 PM
    While I don't agree with what was said, the actions taken against him condone a clear violation of The Bill of Rights, particularly the first amendment. This will end up setting precedent for corporations to stomp all over the constitution. But what can be done about it? The light of justice has long been shadowed by the fog of corruption our government has created.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Corporations are already in control of every aspect of government and now it seems even society itself. We're living in a politically correct corpocracy. USA INC.

oz123 likes this.
    04-29-2014 04:23 PM
    Were the recordings of a private conversation between two people in his own home? If so, something doesn't sit right with me about this. If you are President or some other high profile public servant charged with enormous public responsibility then your private thoughts should be fair game, but a secret recording of a private citizen between two people? When you start punishing private citizens for their thoughts rather than their actions its kind of Orwellian. It's a slippery slope. Anyway, I don't know any of the facts and barely glanced at the headlines. If I heard the recordings or read some of the news stories I'd likely think the punishment was warranted. I guess you could argue an NBA owner is a quasi-public figure.
    I don't know the legalities, but even if the recordings aren't admissible in court (much like recording a phone call without the callers' knowledge), that doesn't matter in the court of public opinion. If the recordings are real but illegally obtained, he could perhaps sue or file charges against the lady but that won't make the public forget about or prevent any business penalties he receives.

This isn't the government taking this action. The Constitution doesn't apply
    This.
    jdbii likes this.
    04-29-2014 04:31 PM
    Serves him right.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    04-29-2014 04:34 PM
    I still don't understand this relationship he was having with this woman that was 40 years younger than him. Talk about robbing the cradle.
    When you're rich, you get to have a trophy wife/gf. He's one ugly guy and I can't imagine him landing any woman without his bank account behind him. Granted, the type of woman he'll attract will love him for what they can provide, not for what he's all about, which is fine by me.
    04-29-2014 04:50 PM
    This isn't the government taking this action. The Constitution doesn't apply
    Not just that, but professional leagues are given special status so it's not like any other business model.
    04-29-2014 04:52 PM
    The local news here said that the fine levied would be like an $80 fine for anyone that makes $44,000 a year.
    04-29-2014 05:04 PM
    Corporations are already in control of every aspect of government and now it seems even society itself. We're living in a politically correct corpocracy. USA INC.

Amen I completely agree, unfortunately many Americans are oblivious to the fact. If more of us would educate ourselves perhaps we could gain a chance to take back the reins, but until that day comes I sit and wait, and occasionally voice my opinion (albeit to a polymorphic* crowd). *Sorry couldn't think of another word to use.

anon(6142785) likes this.
    04-29-2014 07:21 PM
    The local news here said that the fine levied would be like an $80 fine for anyone that makes $44,000 a year.
    CNN was on in Mr.Hero covering the story, and they said 2.5 million which I guess wouldn't be a lot to him but still to the normal person that's debt for life.

04-29-2014 07:23 PM
    Even if the constitution doesn't apply, there's still the matter of laws put in place to protect people on the workplace of being fired on grounds of discrimination alone. I'd hate to get race involved but from what I saw of the press conference, it was a bunch of African American upper management bashing and belittling a white owner. That is reverse discrimination. What's that old saying; Two wrongs don't make a right?

04-29-2014 07:27 PM
    Wow, I think his comments are absolutely disgusting and ignorant, but I don't know if I think he should be banned for life. I mean he owns the team. That would be like me owning a business, saying something incredibly stupid (more than I typically do ) and then being told that I'm banned from my business. I'm thinking the NBA is going a little harsher on this because they don't want to seem insensitive to this issue. But I still think it's a little bit overboard.
    I agree. Most people calling for his resignation I bet doesn't want to be recorded when they don't know. Spike Lee works for the nba and has said more than his fair share of racist comments in the past.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    04-29-2014 07:35 PM
    You know that's the thing though. Since African Americans make up a large portion of the NBA's consumer base, they couldn't afford not to fire him, lest they anger and potentially lose a good chunk of those customers. That is the real reason they fired him, when it boils down to it, it's all about profit.

04-29-2014 07:41 PM
    From a legal standpoint this is the NBA trying to get ahead of any future discrimination lawsuits. A halfway decent plaintiff's attorney (or even a crappy one) will use this episode to argue a culture of discrimination exists in the NBA, so the NBA owners are just covering their backs. Plaintiff's attorney nonetheless will still use it to argue whatever discrimination suit they are arguing, but the legal sting won't be as damaging because the NBA can point to the swift and severe punishment they meted out.
    04-29-2014 08:30 PM
    This seems to be one the tip of the iceberg with him. He has been acting like pig forever, this just seems to be only the first racist thing he as been caught in. He seems to have trouble with women as well...

Also, it is interesting that the girl baited him into this. I wonder what her motivations were?
    04-30-2014 05:40 AM
    This seems to be one the tip of the iceberg with him. He has been acting like pig forever, this just seems to be only the first racist thing he as been caught in. He seems to have trouble with women as well...

Also, it is interesting that the girl baited him into this. I wonder what her motivations were?
    He has done and said things similar in the past. It could have been a setup, but he fell for it rather easily.

Sent from the Samsung Galaxy Note 3...yeah, it's spectacular.
    04-30-2014 05:42 AM
    While I don't agree with what was said, the actions taken against him condone a clear violation of The Bill of Rights, particularly the first amendment. This will end up setting precedent for corporations to stomp all over the constitution. But what can be done about it? The light of justice has long been shadowed by the fog of corruption our government has created.

you forget bill of rights only apply to the government. Have you noticed the government has done NOTHING to punish him. All the actions taken against him have been well with in the those groups rights of free speech. There are other rules he is required to follow and they do not have to follow the bill of rights.
    Remember freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences of said speech. What is happening to him is an example of consequences.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    04-30-2014 09:14 AM
    So much for free speech. Political correctness run amok. The guy's a jerk but so what. If I were him I would lock the doors and call it a day. Fire all the players and sell the team.

I am going to point out Freedom of speech does not mean you are free from consequences of said speech. You are still accountable for everything you say and print.
    04-30-2014 09:17 AM
    I am going to point out Freedom of speech does not mean you are free from consequences of said speech. You are still accountable for everything you say and print.
    Even in a private conversation in your own home to one other person?

04-30-2014 10:38 AM

Apparently not. There isn't a single person in this world who hasn't said something in their own home or behind closed doors that they wouldn't say in public.
    dkhmwilliams likes this.
    04-30-2014 10:42 AM

Again this has nothing to do with that part. It does not matter now that it was private. It is public now, this followed by he was before this a public figure and has a history of being racist.

All this does is add fuel to that fire. Also pointing out that claiming bill of rights is a false and invalid argument. Top it all off yes even in a private conversation you can be nailed. It is only private as all parties involved. He said it and now he is accountable for it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    04-30-2014 10:53 AM
    Again this has nothing to do with that part. It does not matter now that it was private. It is public now, this followed by he was before this a public figure and has a history of being racist.

All this does is add fuel to that fire. Also pointing out that claiming bill of rights is a false and invalid argument. Top it all off yes even in a private conversation you can be nailed. It is only private as all parties involved. He said it and now he is accountable for it.

What makes it unfair is that others aren't judged the same way. You and I can say whatever we want to behind closed doors and nothing happens. We are free to have our own thoughts and beliefs. He should have the same rights. I don't like his statements, but I can't really see what he did as being that bad. Banning him for life and fining him 2.5 million dollars is punitive. Especially when considering professional athletes have said and done worse and have not received penalties even close to what Sterling received.

toober, anon(6142785) and oz123 like this.
    04-30-2014 11:02 AM
    What makes it unfair is that others aren't judged the same way. You and I can say whatever we want to behind closed doors and nothing happens. We are free to have our own thoughts and beliefs. He should have the same rights. I don't like his statements, but I can't really see what he did as being that bad. Banning him for life and fining him 2.5 million dollars is punitive. Especially when considering professional athletes have said and done worse and have not received penalties even close to what Sterling received.

Maybe so but again bill of rights is not a valid defense.
    This followed by conversation is not so private any more. Doing nothing the fall out would of been NBA getting hammered.
    He shot himself in the foot. From what I gather he did not even try to address it. He denied it.
    He has every right to his belief but again that does mean freedom from consequences of them.

04-30-2014 11:06 AM
    Maybe so but again bill of rights is not a valid defense.
    This followed by conversation is not so private any more. Doing nothing the fall out would of been NBA getting hammered.
    He shot himself in the foot. From what I gather he did not even try to address it. He denied it.
    He has every right to his belief but again that does mean freedom from consequences of them.

In the end, California is a two party consent state. If she recorded him without his knowledge she has done irreparable harm to him (according to him), I'm sure if he is forced to sell he will look into the legal recourse to make the rest of her life worthless.
    04-30-2014 11:29 AM

When you have that much to lose, that should be enough incentive to quell your darkest thoughts. The reason I find his statements to be such a detriment is because imagine how many decisions and lives have been influenced by his racist attitude. Imagine all the people that didn't get an opportunity because of the color of their skin. That's what makes this so egregious. Comparing "you and me", unless you're in a position where you can affect a large group, that argument is shallow.
    04-30-2014 11:40 AM
    When you have that much to lose, that should be enough incentive to quell your darkest thoughts. The reason I find his statements to be such a detriment is because imagine how many decisions and lives have been influenced by his racist attitude. Imagine all the people that didn't get an opportunity because of the color of their skin. That's what makes this so egregious. Comparing "you and me", unless you're in a position where you can affect a large group, that argument is shallow.
    You are assuming. I'm not. And I don't condone his actions or his words. I don't think he is a good person. But his punishment is an overreaction in my opinion. If he were a young, professional football player and said the same thing on the football field during a game, he would have been fined $50-$100,000 and maybe a suspension for a game and that would have been it. If he were black, he may have gotten away with a warning. Doesn't seem fair does it?

04-30-2014 12:28 PM
86 1234