05-14-2014 01:01 PM
86 ... 234
tools
    I guess the league DOES have a few reasons to wash its hands of Donald Sterling. While it is kind of off putting that his conversation was supposed to be a private conversation (despite his mistress claiming that he wanted the recordings), him being an owner, he shouldn't have put himself in the position he did with that woman obvious being someone wanting to shake him down. A rich person typically shelters themselves away from such type of gold diggers. I'm sure the NBA would rather not have someone in their ownership that is such a liability. As much as I hate the idea that someone can be forced out of ownership, I can understand the NBA's point of view.
    It is the step in the right direction to get rid of a racist owner, but If the things that have been written about him in this thread are true then the NBA's racism problems are a lot bigger than one racist owner.
    05-12-2014 03:21 PM
    It is the step in the right direction to get rid of a racist owner, but If the things that have been written about him in this thread are true then the NBA's racism problems are a lot bigger than one racist owner.
    I agree that we have too many people that don't believe racism is a problem (or believe it's not that big a problem) in this country. One of the biggest problems I have with entities like the GOP is they insist that they believe in "Darwinism" and think that the smartest/hardest working among us will automatically rise to the top, yet if you have spent any time as a student in a classroom, (and I have NO problem giving credit where credit is due) what nationality and/or race do you generally see do best in class? I tend to see Asian (this includes Indian) students generally ranked as some of the highest performers. This isn't 100% of the norm, but I see a good percentage of those students near the top of their class. Yet if you look at the CEOs of the top 500 companies, what percentage of them are Asian?

Now I'm sure someone will try to justify such disparity "Well success in school is different than success in business". And that may be true, but given that school should be preparing students for the real world, then there must be some serious deficiencies in our education system. This link should shed some light as to how "far we've come" when it comes to race.

Where's the Diversity in Fortune 500 CEOs? - DiversityInc

There are six Black CEOs of Fortune 500 companies,

There are nine Asian CEOs of Fortune 500 companies,

There are eight Latino CEOs of Fortune 500 companies

There are 23 women CEOs of Fortune 500 companies
    So we're looking at 46 CEOs that aren't white men in the FORTUNE 500. Not exactly a picture of diversity, and seems to fly in the face of the GOP's claim that hard work and intelligence will equal success.
    05-12-2014 04:11 PM
    Yet if you look at the CEOs of the top 500 companies, what percentage of them are Asian?
    The CEO is almost never the smartest person at a large company. You don't get to be CEO by being smart, smart people are analysts or coders or marketers - they apply knowledge. The CEO has a totally different job entirely and intelligence isn't even really necessarily correlated to leadership or charisma.

I'm not saying your overall point is correct or not - that data's not really available in anything that I've seen, but I don't think CEO would be the right thing to measure in any case. They're logically inconsistent means and ends.

I do get that the CEO is generally one of the top positions, but one metric of intelligence or hard work or whatever isn't going to show us the combination of correct qualities to get the opportunities and then we have to see execution on utilizing those qualities and a whole lot of luck all converging on the same place for those qualities to translate to success.
    palandri likes this.
    05-12-2014 07:24 PM
    The CEO is almost never the smartest person at a large company. You don't get to be CEO by being smart, smart people are analysts or coders or marketers - they apply knowledge. The CEO has a totally different job entirely and intelligence isn't even really necessarily correlated to leadership or charisma.

I'm not saying your overall point is correct or not - that data's not really available in anything that I've seen, but I don't think CEO would be the right thing to measure in any case. They're logically inconsistent means and ends.

I do get that the CEO is generally one of the top positions, but one metric of intelligence or hard work or whatever isn't going to show us the combination of correct qualities to get the opportunities and then we have to see execution on utilizing those qualities and a whole lot of luck all converging on the same place for those qualities to translate to success.
    When talking about wealth, and the wealth gap, the GOP tends to point to "hard work" and "Intelligence". CEOs are at the top when it comes to income. That was my main reason for using that position. I wholeheartedly agree that a CEO generally isn't the smartest, or the hardest working person in a company, but for some reason they are compensated what they are compensated. It still doesn't justify the lack of diversity.
    05-12-2014 11:43 PM
    Anyone that has a problem with the secret recording part, should take a look at the very public very ugly interview he willingly gave Anderson Cooper on CNN tonight. (And there will be more tomorrow too!). It seems each time this man opens his mouth he makes things that much worse. He at one point called Anderson a racist with a plantation mindset (though he didn't explain that curious statement) and then went on to talk about the black men...not just men, that Stiviano would bring around and how jealous it made him. Then kept saying that she made him say those words. How? Who knows. The man is a loon. But he couldn't leave it there, he had to double down on race by saying that unlike the black community, jews take care of their own and then he went off on some tirade about Magic Johnson having AIDS (he's HIV +, he doesn't have AIDS) and how little he has done for the community.

Some of Monday night's interview:
    Donald Sterling tells CNN he's not racist, slams Magic Johnson - CNN.com
    05-13-2014 01:21 AM
    Anyone that has a problem with the secret recording part, should take a look at the very public very ugly interview he willingly gave Anderson Cooper on CNN tonight. (And there will be more tomorrow too!). It seems each time this man opens his mouth he makes things that much worse. He at one point called Anderson a racist with a plantation mindset (though he didn't explain that curious statement) and then went on to talk about the black men...not just men, that Stiviano would bring around and how jealous it made him. Then kept saying that she made him say those words. How? Who knows. The man is a loon. But he couldn't leave it there, he had to double down on race by saying that unlike the black community, jews take care of their own and then he went off on some tirade about Magic Johnson having AIDS (he's HIV +, he doesn't have AIDS) and how little he has done for the community.

Some of Monday night's interview:
    Donald Sterling tells CNN he's not racist, slams Magic Johnson - CNN.com
    I do believe that he has some form of dementia, but I think what it's done to him is removed his internal filters. This is his true mindset, but somewhat garbled due to his advanced age.
    05-13-2014 04:05 PM
    I do believe that he has some form of dementia, but I think what it's done to him is removed his internal filters. This is his true mindset, but somewhat garbled due to his advanced age.
    I don't think it is possible that he had dementia in 2003 and acted the same way.

The first thing I said...people really need to read up on all of this. True, his original comments go so far beyond a "one-off" that it is hard to see how anyone can actually have a problem with NBA sanctions, but let's learn more about who Donald Sterling is:

"Is she one of those black people who stink?"

Killed by Donald Sterling’s Racism - The Daily Beast
    05-14-2014 05:47 AM
    I don't think it is possible that he had dementia in 2003 and acted the same way.

The first thing I said...people really need to read up on all of this. True, his original comments go so far beyond a "one-off" that it is hard to see how anyone can actually have a problem with NBA sanctions, but let's learn more about who Donald Sterling is:

Killed by Donald Sterling€™s Racism - The Daily Beast

Yet he was all set to receive a lifetime achievement award from the NAACP, FOR THE SECOND TIME?
    05-14-2014 09:57 AM
    What i cant understand is why people still watch basketball?

Sent from my G-Flex........Life is Good!✌
    anon(6142785) likes this.
    05-14-2014 11:16 AM
    What i cant understand is why people still watch basketball?

Sent from my G-Flex........Life is Good!✌
    Because otherwise you'd only have Hockey or the early games of an extremely long Baseball season?
    05-14-2014 12:49 PM

Killed by Donald Sterling€™s Racism - The Daily Beast
    I'm not insisting that his dementia is what's making him racist, I'm saying that his dementia is what's making it easy for his true thoughts to come out. The part his the brain that would otherwise filter out his true racist nature is not functioning properly, thus we're hearing his true racist nature come out.

As I stated before, I think a lot of people (from all backgrounds) have some prejudices within them based on their experiences and exposures, what makes his situation unique is that he had the resources to act on his despicable disposition.
    05-14-2014 01:01 PM
86 ... 234