06-11-2014 09:51 AM
70 123
tools
    Again I ask the question. Would you rather an American solider be stuck over there held and died whole capture?

Yes no. Would you rather a solider be allowed to die?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sliding away from the illogical "It's a guideline" defense huh?

If he is a EPW he is afforded the same protections we gave those who we captured. His health must be taken care off, if there are doubts we have the UN and international red cross to go look at him. They cite grave health as the reason for the expediency, yet by all accounts and the video and pics we've seen, he is far from deathly ill. If they are threatening to kill him in exchange for their guys, that's not an EPW swap, that's a hostage demand. There is very little doubt we got the short end of the stick and the purpose of bypassing congress is clear, it's because even those on the left wouldn't have made such a lop sided trade.
    06-09-2014 05:07 PM
    Sliding away from the illogical "It's a guideline" defense huh?

If he is a EPW he is afforded the same protections we gave those who we captured. His health must be taken care off, if there are doubts we have the UN and international red cross to go look at him. They cite grave health as the reason for the expediency, yet by all accounts and the video and pics we've seen, he is far from deathly ill. If they are threatening to kill him in exchange for their guys, that's not an EPW swap, that's a hostage demand. There is very little doubt we got the short end of the stick and the purpose of bypassing congress is clear, it's because even those on the left wouldn't have made such a lop sided trade.
    So yes you would rather have him die. Got you.

In. Y first post I pointed out what you would of said if he did not make that thread.

06-09-2014 05:46 PM
    So yes you would rather have him die. Got you.

In. Y first post I pointed out what you would of said if he did not make that thread.

It wasn't inevitable that he was gonna die, where did I state that I wanted him to? He's a EPW, not a hostage, he's protected. I'm sorry but it's not a black and white issue just because it's convenient to your point of view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-09-2014 06:02 PM
    It wasn't inevitable that he was gonna die, where did I state that I wanted him to? He's a EPW, not a hostage, he's protected. I'm sorry but it's not a black and white issue just because it's convenient to your point of view.

No it really is. Mix this with your standard history I hate obama threads which this is. I bet money that if he had turn down the offer you would be screaming about he letting a WAR HERO stay in prision. Hell there is a long list of quote from the Party of Hate and bigotry from before and after. They OMG switch views. Republicans on Sgt. Bergdahl: Then & Now | The Daily Banter

Those are why I put very little stock in this. It has become SOP from the party.
    The health was in question. Who knows what was not shown to the public. Or what they were just saying and threating. It was a risk that he was in heath problem. Mix that with prisions given up had an expiration date on them that the US woudl have to release them. At least this way they had some stipulation put on them.

That or the deal was take it now or leave it. If leave it means never get to trade and a solider is left behind..... But like I called early on this is yet another I hate Obama thread from the right wing echo chamber lines all over it.
    06-09-2014 06:12 PM

Who enforces this protection?

You say that like it's a guarantee. The protection of classification and any International law depends on the willingness of those involved to respect and follow that law.

"being protected" is not as black and white as you're making it sound. Remember those "enhanced interrogation techniques" that we used that many thought violated individual rights and those protections that were spelled out in International law. Internally we classified them as something that those laws didn't technically apply to.

If we can do it so can other countries.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    06-09-2014 06:38 PM
    Diane Feinstein is in the party of hate and bigotry? Both Republicans and Democrats signed the law, the Senate passed it, the president signed it. Last I check the Supreme Court determines the constitutionality of the law in part or it's entirety.
    When did we start talking about Obamacare? And it's nice to see a right winger defend it so adamantly......
    rexxman and A895 like this.
    06-09-2014 06:43 PM
    "Leave no soldier behind, but no soldier leaves his country behind."

- - - Updated - - -

When did we start talking about Obamacare? And it's nice to see a right winger defend it so adamantly......
    It says that Republicans signed it, so it isn't Obummercare.
    06-09-2014 08:32 PM
    If he had not deserted his platoon, he wouldn't have been a POW.
    06-10-2014 01:35 PM
    If he had not deserted his platoon, he wouldn't have been a POW.
    If the terrorists hadn't kidnapped him he wouldn't have been a POW either.

Posted via Android Central App
    06-10-2014 02:30 PM
    If the terrorists hadn't kidnapped him he wouldn't have been a POW either.

How do you call it kidnapping when he went looking for them?

06-10-2014 03:20 PM
    How do you call it kidnapping when he went looking for them?

Well (heaven forbid) they could have killed him and none of this would have mothballed the way it did. But they kidnapped him and then one thing led to another and now things are getting scrutinized.

06-10-2014 03:39 PM
    Well (heaven forbid) they could have killed him and none of this would have mothballed the way it did. But they kidnapped him and then one thing led to another and now things are getting scrutinized.

Mothballed or snowballed? j/k
    06-10-2014 03:44 PM
    I never really understood the distinction between the two.

06-10-2014 04:17 PM
    Don't bring a mothball to a snowball fight!
    06-10-2014 04:54 PM
    I was in the service, government military law says, if you leave your post, it is the brig for you, no exception they told us.
    That's if he left his post on his own.
    Was said he wrote letters home that his Company was fall apart, so he said? Saw it on the news today.
    06-10-2014 05:08 PM

I like it when I can post gifs that are actually helpful.

Snowball...................................................................................Mothball

Now we negotiate with terrorists?-snowball.gif Now we negotiate with terrorists?-mothballs_1.gif
    06-10-2014 07:22 PM
    From dictionary.com:

Mothball (verb) -- to put into storage or reserve; inactivate.

Snowball (verb) -- to cause to grow or become larger, greater, more intense, etc., at an accelerating rate.
    A895 likes this.
    06-10-2014 11:14 PM
    This has been a really odd event. The thing that bothers me 8s that I see no real upside for anyone involved at this point. Surely all the negative Intel about this guy was known by the administration long before the trade happened.

Was this a failed PR stunt? Was there some reason the military wanted him back that we do not know about? Is this covering something else up? Is there something more sinister going on here? Is this just an example of decisions that seemed ok at the time but look bad in retrospect?
    06-11-2014 08:35 AM
    This has been a really odd event. The thing that bothers me 8s that I see no real upside for anyone involved at this point. Surely all the negative Intel about this guy was known by the administration long before the trade happened.

Was this a failed PR stunt? Was there some reason the military wanted him back that we do not know about? Is this covering something else up? Is there something more sinister going on here? Is this just an example of decisions that seemed ok at the time but look bad in retrospect?

Even with all the reports Susan Rice said he served with "honor and distinction" (her words). I'd say they have their heads up the butts.
    06-11-2014 09:48 AM
    Who enforces this protection?

You say that like it's a guarantee. The protection of classification and any International law depends on the willingness of those involved to respect and follow that law.

"being protected" is not as black and white as you're making it sound. Remember those "enhanced interrogation techniques" that we used that many thought violated individual rights and those protections that were spelled out in International law. Internally we classified them as something that those laws didn't technically apply to.

If we can do it so can other countries.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Who's always enforces it? If the US broke the law then those responsible should be charged with War crimes as long as their is no ambiguity pertaining to the law. My understanding is we utilized the tactics that our own troops are trained with during SERE training as an example of what will happen to you if you are captured.
    06-11-2014 09:51 AM
70 123