06-26-2014 06:06 PM
66 123
tools
    A draft would put more Americans in harm's way. I don't think that's the solution the OP is looking for.

You'll never occupy a space or territory with robots.
    06-17-2014 02:35 PM
    You'll never occupy a space or territory with robots.
    Not yet, but we might in the future if technology advances enough.
    06-17-2014 03:03 PM
    It's because the people you cite are only good at answering polls. If they spend more of their efforts pressuring their representatives, they might get better results.
    I doubt it considering today's politics is greatly influenced by money. If you don't believe me, then let me direct you to the Supreme Court's ruling on the Citizens United verdict.
    06-17-2014 05:40 PM
    Not yet, but we might in the future if technology advances enough.
    You've been watching way too many Schwarzenegger movies haven't you?
    06-17-2014 05:44 PM
    I doubt it considering today's politics is greatly influenced by money. If you don't believe me, then let me direct you to the Supreme Court's ruling on the Citizens United verdict.
    So, is America doomed? Is that fate inevitable? Will the people with money always triumph?
    06-17-2014 05:57 PM
    So, is America doomed? Is that fate inevitable? Will the people with money always triumph?
    The people with power(currently the measure of power is more or less equal to money) have always and will always rule humanity. To say it is a good or bad thing is the same as arguing that gravity is a good or bad thing. It is just a fact of life. You can work against that fact, but you will never change it.

Just because we have always had a system of rights and democracy in this country does not mean our country has ever worked differently than any other from a fundamental stand point. Those that can rule, will rule. Those that a content being led, will be led.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    06-17-2014 06:09 PM
    Those that can rule, will rule. Those that a content being led, will be led.
    Well said. I would also add that if money is the key to power, we should see how much we could pool together. There are about 300 million people in the US. If only half of the population gave $1 per person, we would have $150 million to support the cause of our choice, whether that is to stop war or something else.
    06-17-2014 06:27 PM
    You've been watching way too many Schwarzenegger movies haven't you?
    Maybe.

"The unknown future rolls toward us. I face it for the first time with a sense of hope, because if a machine, a Terminator, can learn the value of human life ... maybe we can too." Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton), Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    06-17-2014 06:55 PM
    The problem is where we as a society align our values. Do we invade countries for noble causes or to fatten our bottom line and stockpile natural resources? When our military returns home, do we care for them for the services they provide or do we cast their broken bodies aside because we don't want to spend money on securing their well being?

If I haven't mentioned it a million times by now, I'm by no stretch of the imagination a spiritual person (at least I don't subscribe to any of the major religions), but there are some phrases that I think EVERY person needs to heed. One passage in particular, "evil begets evil" is one of special interest to me, and that some of our presidents exercised in the past as their foreign policy.

The Iraq war is a perfect example of how an administration with a misguided and corrupt moral compass has spawned what is taking place now in that region. We are now bearing the fruit of that horrible decision to go to war. Do you think we'd have these kinds of issues if we worked with the international community with regards to Iraq? Would the group called ISIS (more fundamentalist than Al Qaeda, btw) be as hell bent against American values if an INTERNATIONAL group neutralized Iraq and Saddam's regime?

Yes hindsight is 20/20, but when you go to war for misguided and ulterior motives that are not good and wholesome, this is the result you get. I don't know about you, but I've noticed in my personal life that when I don't have the best intentions at heart, they tend to come back and bite me.
    rexxman likes this.
    06-17-2014 07:00 PM
    The problem is where we as a society align our values.
    So, what should we do to fix the situation? We can't change the past, only the future. Tell me something that the average American can do to make the situation better.
    06-17-2014 07:29 PM
    So, what should we do to fix the situation? We can't change the past, only the future. Tell me something that the average American can do to make the situation better.
    My personal opinion would probably be seen by some as partisan, although I think it would show great leadership on our country's part. I say we investigate how we were misled into war with Iraq. Those that lead us into war under false pretenses need to be held accountable, that way going into the future as you say, those that mean to lead us into another war will make sure they're doing it for the right reasons.
    06-17-2014 07:51 PM
    A draft would put more Americans in harm's way. I don't think that's the solution the OP is looking for.
    You realise that the draft is still active, right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    06-17-2014 08:00 PM
    You realise that the draft is still active, right?
    Yes, the president and congress can authorize a draft if needed. As far as I know, we are currently using our volunteer troops, so a draft is not necessary right now. Of course, that could change in the future.
    06-17-2014 08:14 PM
    I say we investigate how we were misled into war with Iraq.
    So, Americans should ask their representatives to start an investigation into the Iraq War. They can write letters or make telephone calls to Congress, as those methods seem to have the most effect. Does that seem reasonable to you?
    06-17-2014 08:19 PM
    If people had their loved ones drafted to go to war, I think there would be more opposition to war. More people would have skin in the game and there would be more pressure on our politicians to search for diplomatic solutions. Hence the reason I don't think a "robot army" would be a good idea. If war is easy to declare then we will be too eager to go to war for every little dispute we have with other countries.
    06-17-2014 08:21 PM
    So, Americans should ask their representatives to start an investigation into the Iraq War. They can write letters or make telephone calls to Congress, as those methods seem to have the most effect. Does that seem reasonable to you?
    It would be nice if we could have a grass roots movement like this, but I think that something drastic would need to happen in order for Joe Public to stop their daily routine and pressure their political leaders.
    06-17-2014 08:23 PM
    The problem is where we as a society align our values. Do we invade countries for noble causes or to fatten our bottom line and stockpile natural resources? When our military returns home, do we care for them for the services they provide or do we cast their broken bodies aside because we don't want to spend money on securing their well being?

If I haven't mentioned it a million times by now, I'm by no stretch of the imagination a spiritual person (at least I don't subscribe to any of the major religions), but there are some phrases that I think EVERY person needs to heed. One passage in particular, "evil begets evil" is one of special interest to me, and that some of our presidents exercised in the past as their foreign policy.

The Iraq war is a perfect example of how an administration with a misguided and corrupt moral compass has spawned what is taking place now in that region. We are now bearing the fruit of that horrible decision to go to war. Do you think we'd have these kinds of issues if we worked with the international community with regards to Iraq? Would the group called ISIS (more fundamentalist than Al Qaeda, btw) be as hell bent against American values if an INTERNATIONAL group neutralized Iraq and Saddam's regime?

Yes hindsight is 20/20, but when you go to war for misguided and ulterior motives that are not good and wholesome, this is the result you get. I don't know about you, but I've noticed in my personal life that when I don't have the best intentions at heart, they tend to come back and bite me.

Tell me something, what then provoked 19 guys to slam planes into buildings 13yrs ago? What part of Iraq were we in then? Our being allies with Israel is enough to tick them off and wage attack after attack on us. Do we cut off ties to Israel? They hate us and any shred of western culture that seeps in to an area they claim is theirs prompts them to start planing. We don't have to have a single boot on the ground in any middle eastern country for them to want to kill us.

The current issue in Iraq has nothing to do with how we left that country. It has to do with the fact that you have 3 religious factions and one is trying to insulate itself from the other two while they control Baghdad. When Saddam was in power he would just have his opposition killed, gassed, tortured/raped and we could care less. Hell we made ample empty threats. Does living in a country were Uday would take cordless drills and drive them through your hands and feet sound fun? How about when he had one of this body guards grasp your upper and lower jaws and yank them apart for talking out against the current regime. Or when he would scout college campus's for a girl to kidnap and rape. Then when he was done he let his swarm of bodyguards gang rape her and leave here naked on the side of the road. Add to the fact that in their culture a girl getting raped (regardless of how overpowered she is) is likely to be killed by her father and is justified in doing so.

I don't think yester-year or the current state of Iraq is/was a picnic to live in.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    06-18-2014 09:38 AM
    More people would have skin in the game and there would be more pressure on our politicians to search for diplomatic solutions.
    With respect to the Iraq War, which diplomatic solutions did we miss? Was there any room for negotiation?
    06-18-2014 03:12 PM
    It would be nice if we could have a grass roots movement like this, but I think that something drastic would need to happen in order for Joe Public to stop their daily routine and pressure their political leaders.
    Isn't starting a war drastic enough? What more do you need for the average person to stand up for themselves?
    06-18-2014 03:15 PM
    With respect to the Iraq War, which diplomatic solutions did we miss? Was there any room for negotiation?
    I'm pretty sure Saddam was ignoring sanction after sanction, inspection after inspection. But the fact that he couldn't lob a missile and hit Florida, we should ignore it. He hit Tel-Aviv plenty of times though in the first go around.
    06-18-2014 03:20 PM
    Tell me something, what then provoked 19 guys to slam planes into buildings 13yrs ago? What part of Iraq were we in then? Our being allies with Israel is enough to tick them off and wage attack after attack on us. Do we cut off ties to Israel? They hate us and any shred of western culture that seeps in to an area they claim is theirs prompts them to start planing. We don't have to have a single boot on the ground in any middle eastern country for them to want to kill us.

The current issue in Iraq has nothing to do with how we left that country. It has to do with the fact that you have 3 religious factions and one is trying to insulate itself from the other two while they control Baghdad. When Saddam was in power he would just have his opposition killed, gassed, tortured/raped and we could care less. Hell we made ample empty threats. Does living in a country were Uday would take cordless drills and drive them through your hands and feet sound fun? How about when he had one of this body guards grasp your upper and lower jaws and yank them apart for talking out against the current regime. Or when he would scout college campus's for a girl to kidnap and rape. Then when he was done he let his swarm of bodyguards gang rape her and leave here naked on the side of the road. Add to the fact that in their culture a girl getting raped (regardless of how overpowered she is) is likely to be killed by her father and is justified in doing so.

I don't think yester-year or the current state of Iraq is/was a picnic to live in.
    You actually think the 9/11 attacks were completely unprovoked on our part? Wow, I didn't think anyone thought that to be the case anymore. You DO know that the U.S. trained Bin Laden and that we actually had Bin Laden as an ally when Russia was invading that area right?
    06-18-2014 05:55 PM
    Isn't starting a war drastic enough? What more do you need for the average person to stand up for themselves?
    Starting a war that doesn't affect the average U.S. citizen's daily routine? What if when we start a war, instead of the prime time lineup on TV, they show actual live war footage? Do you think that would provoke more discussion?
    06-18-2014 05:56 PM
    Is anyone else laughing at people like John McCain insisting that the current debacle in Iraq is Obama's fault?
    A895, rexxman and nolittdroid like this.
    06-18-2014 07:22 PM
    Starting a war that doesn't affect the average U.S. citizen's daily routine? What if when we start a war, instead of the prime time lineup on TV, they show actual live war footage? Do you think that would provoke more discussion?
    People could always turn off the TV, so I'm not sure what the effect of live war footage would be.

How would you stop a war without the support of the average American? If they don't care because the war doesn't affect their daily routine, I would say that stopping a war becomes a lot more difficult.
    06-18-2014 07:39 PM
    People could always turn off the TV, so I'm not sure what the effect of live war footage would be.

How would you stop a war without the support of the average American? If they don't care because the war doesn't affect their daily routine, I would say that stopping a war becomes a lot more difficult.
    The prime-time was mostly tongue-in-cheek. I figure since we Americans are so glued to our TV, an interruption in daily programming would be one way I can imagine Americans being outraged (I worked for AT&T Uverse awhile back and the way some of those customers would scream at you when they weren't getting TV, you'd think you just finished pushing their grandma down some stairs....)
    06-18-2014 08:09 PM
66 123