07-18-2014 04:07 PM
484 ... 17181920
tools
    So if an employer believes that single women who comingle with men can be stoned, he's well within his right to stone one of his employees?
    If you are talking about throwing rocks at people, current laws prohibit assault and battery.

If you are talking about using cannabis to treat conditions like glaucoma, then different state and federal laws apply.
    Live2ride883 likes this.
    07-16-2014 06:25 PM
    Because it's so easy to just get a job.
    People should just use the contraceptives that Hobby Lobby will pay for while they're looking for a new job. Once they get a new job, they can then choose the 4 methods that Hobby Lobby didn't cover.
    07-16-2014 06:41 PM
    I like this approach, PAC for a Change | Fight back against Hobby Lobby let's take our employers out of the equation.
    It looks like the bill didn't get enough votes.

Senate Bill to Nullify Hobby Lobby Decision Fails -- The Wall Street Journal (article link here)

Excerpts:

"In a 56-43 vote, which was largely along party lines, Democrats came up short of the 60 votes needed to advance their legislation. It sought to prevent companies from relying on a religious-freedom law to avoid complying with the Affordable Care Act's requirement to cover all forms of contraception approved by the government without charging workers a copayment."

"Senate Republicans introduced their own legislation this week, which lawmakers said would reaffirm that under current law employers can't prohibit a woman from accessing contraception. The bill—from Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.) and Sens. Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire and Deb Fischer of Nebraska—also requests that the Food and Drug Administration study whether prescription contraceptives could safely be made available to adults without a prescription."
    07-16-2014 06:47 PM
    Here is more information about the upcoming bill:

Dems Strike Back on Hobby Lobby Case With ‘Not My Boss’s Business Act’ -- ABC News (article link here)

Excerpt: "The bill, the Protect Women’s Health from Corporate Interference Act, mandates that employers cannot disrupt coverage for contraception or other health services that are guaranteed under federal law. It comes a week after the Supreme Court’s controversial ruling that closely held for-profit companies can deny contraceptive coverage under their company health plans if it goes against a sincerely held religious belief."

As far as I can tell, this bill will help counter the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA) that allowed the Supreme Court to rule in favor of Hobby Lobby. If the Protect Women’s Health from Corporate Interference Act becomes law, cases similar to Hobby Lobby would need to invoke the First Amendment, and the courts would need to base their judgment on that.
    I've already heard that the GOP has shot it down. No surprise there.
    07-16-2014 07:03 PM
    Not that it matters at this point, I wonder if that proposal would have been contradictory enough against the RFRA that it would have to be challenged in the court system too. The argument basically being you couldn't comply with one without being in violation of the other.
    07-16-2014 09:16 PM
    The problem I have with people complaining that they don't want to subsidize other people's "sex life" is that what's stopping me or anyone else from complaining that I don't want to subsidize some fat guy's love affair with meat by paying for his cholesterol medication? I find it funny that some people are only about "Me", but when you point out all the medications they're on, somehow that's untouchable. I personally don't believe that you can get happiness out of a bottle (anti-depressants), that you need pills because your leg is shaky, or that your overindulgence with meat can be reversed by a cholesterol pill, but am I going to make a federal case out of it? No, because I can't judge you unless I've walked a mile in your shoes, and I would expect the same courtesy from you, unless you're some type of egotistical sadist.
    msndrstood and GadgetGator like this.
    07-16-2014 10:28 PM
    I've already heard that the GOP has shot it down. No surprise there.
    Then the next step will be with the voters. At the next election, they will have an opportunity to vote out the politicians that supported the Hobby Lobby decision.
    07-17-2014 12:30 AM
    When you have a few thousand people in DC making law that affects 330million people, someone is bound to step up and put the government in it's place if they over reach on any given law. The SC is there to determine if they have or have not done so. It's what sets us apart from any other nation on the face of the earth. Would you rather be like China and just bend over and take whatever the almighty decide with next to no say so or possible prison time for inciting subversion of the state?
    What in the heck are you rambling on about? If you wish to quote my post and reply, at least address the themes I raise.
    China? Give it a rest, would ya?

Posted via Android Central App
    07-17-2014 08:08 AM
    So if an employer believes that single women who comingle with men can be stoned, he's well within his right to stone one of his employees?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Absolutely not, this is a narrow decision by the US Supreme Court that has nothing to do with stoning. Its pretty obvious you should have known that.
    07-17-2014 09:16 AM
    And those owners are allowed to worship however they want, just like their employees. Or are you insisting that only the owners' religion matters?
    I can choose not to work for a corporation who's owners religious beliefs do not align with mine, just as I am free not to work for BP Oil because we have different views on how fracking affects the environment. Why is it only a big deal when someone makes that choice based on religious views?
    07-17-2014 09:22 AM
    Then the next step will be with the voters. At the next election, they will have an opportunity to vote out the politicians that supported the Hobby Lobby decision.
    The voters may also affirm the decision by supporting those same politicians.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    07-17-2014 09:23 AM
    It must be nice to pick and choose where you work based on whether or not you like their insurance plan. Somehow I doubt most people are so lucky.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    TOTtomdora likes this.
    07-17-2014 10:44 AM
    It must be nice to pick and choose where you work based on whether or not you like their insurance plan. Somehow I doubt most people are so lucky.

I've never been forcibly dragged to any of my places of employment since I've started working at age 15. In what way does someone have next to zero choice where they work and because of that the employer must conform 100% to what they feel they are entitled to. I put my money up to create a business, I need a labor force that I gladly compensate. Here is the pay, here are the health benefits, here is the number of vacation and personal days allowed and available to carry over from year to year, here is your uniform, 401k fully vested at X years, ect. Take the job or not is up to you.
    Live2ride883 and Scott7217 like this.
    07-17-2014 10:57 AM
    I've never been forcibly dragged to any of my places of employment since I've started working at age 15. In what way does someone have next to zero choice where they work and because of that the employer must conform 100% to what they feel they are entitled to. I put my money up to create a business, I need a labor force that I gladly compensate. Here is the pay, here are the health benefits, here is the number of vacation and personal days allowed and available to carry over from year to year, here is your uniform, 401k fully vested at X years, ect. Take the job or not is up to you.

I think you missed the point. People do not really have a choice on finding a job. Most people have very few if any real opportunity to move from job to job. People tend to be afraid to jump ship to another job on insurance fears.
    I can also point to cases were companies found way to artificially suppress wages. The market does not work when you have big players cheating the system.
    07-17-2014 01:32 PM
    I think you missed the point. People do not really have a choice on finding a job. Most people have very few if any real opportunity to move from job to job. People tend to be afraid to jump ship to another job on insurance fears.
    I can also point to cases were companies found way to artificially suppress wages. The market does not work when you have big players cheating the system.
    Now there's a crock of you know what.
    07-17-2014 01:47 PM
    Now there's a crock of you know what.
    Do you think that most people can get a new job at the drop of a hat?

You used the standard bs argument that no is forcing you to work there but ignore the fact that you seem to think people have that many choices and really have that many choices.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    07-17-2014 02:08 PM

You used the standard bs argument that no is forcing you to work there but ignore the fact that you seem to think people have that many choices and really have that many choices.

In retail most likely. Show up presentable, take out the septum piercing, cover your tattoos, speak standard american english (avoid words like "Hella" and "Swag"), have a good work ethic, find a different email address to put on top of your resume than www.datF%^$swagyo@yahoo.com
    Scott7217 likes this.
    07-17-2014 03:10 PM
    In retail most likely. Show up presentable, take out the septum piercing, cover your tattoos, speak standard american english (avoid words like "Hella" and "Swag"), have a good work ethic, find a different email address to put on top of your resume than www.datF%^$swagyo@yahoo.com
    So umm these retail jobs that you insist are very easy to find that actually DO pay for an employee's healthcare, can you ride the HOV lane if you're the only person riding the Unicorns they send out to pick you up in?

I do hope that this marks the beginning of a single payer system if only because an employer should NOT use your health insurance as leverage for your employment.

If the job market is such a fair place, why do women consistently get paid less than their male counter-parts? Why do mostly ALL employers have termination clauses for discussing wages?

The system is rigged and has been rigged for a very long time. The sad part is how many of you are unknowingly fighting against the working class and fighting for these special interests groups (Hobby Lobby represents a special interest group, the religion it belongs to is also a special interest group). Lets just hope come November your misguided voices can be silenced.
    07-17-2014 03:24 PM
    Lets just hope come November your misguided voices can be silenced.
    So because some people believe different than you, you think their voices should be silenced? The same could be said for your ideas, but I'm not one of them. I may disagree with what you say, but I'll still defend your right to say it.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    07-17-2014 03:54 PM
    So because some people believe different than you, you think their voices should be silenced? The same could be said for your ideas, but I'm not one of them. I may disagree with what you say, but I'll still defend your right to say it.
    Yes silenced as in more coming out to vote for the cause of the working class and SILENCING the vote of those that are unknowingly voting for special interest groups. You know November? Voting? Right? I'm not talking about cutting peoples' tongues out, but feel free to misconstrue, that's all some people are left with these days as far as debate goes.....
    07-17-2014 04:08 PM
    Well considering all the reports of political violence and intimidation tend to come from the left, you never know.
    07-17-2014 06:03 PM

Personally I think it comes down to priorities when looking for or accepting a job. Such as pay, vacation time, sick time and other benefits including distance from home. As in how much of my paycheck am I going to have to spend to work for this company.

For me the religion of the owners happens to be one of those priorities.

You or someone else might he willing to accept less pay for a shorter travel time, or more vacaction, etc. For me I would and have been willing to drive further for an employer who holds the same or similar beliefs as I do.
    07-17-2014 06:54 PM
    Well considering all the reports of political violence and intimidation tend to come from the left, you never know.
    Yeah, those left wing tea-party abortion clinic folks that you see screaming on TV all the time, huh? Oh wait.....

Personally I think it comes down to priorities when looking for or accepting a job. Such as pay, vacation time, sick time and other benefits including distance from home. As in how much of my paycheck am I going to have to spend to work for this company.

For me the religion of the owners happens to be one of those priorities.

You or someone else might he willing to accept less pay for a shorter travel time, or more vacaction, etc. For me I would and have been willing to drive further for an employer who holds the same or similar beliefs as I do.

Not to mention the fact that it's illegal, I don't think I've ever had to fill out a job application that asked me what my religion was. That being said, I don't expect an employer to share with me what their religious affiliation is. The only time I would suspect that they would share that sort of information with me is when they're attempting to make a case as to why I should also be of that same religion. At which point, I will have to consider if my employment with said company is conditional upon me following the same religion. There is a reason that religion and politics should not be discussed at work.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    07-17-2014 07:03 PM
    I don't think I've ever had to fill out a job application that asked me what my religion was. That being said, I don't expect an employer to share with me what their religious affiliation is.
    It's approximately exactly as relevant as who their favorite Harry Potter character is, their preference of personal computing operating system and/or the relative import of Star Trek vs Star Wars. Right up there with favorite color, least favorite Beatles song and the runner up of baby names your parents almost gave you. Completely not related to employment whatsoever unless you have an unhealthy habit associated with whatever random thing, in which case the unhealthy habit is probably the problem, not the whatever random thing.
    UJ95x likes this.
    07-17-2014 07:11 PM
    Chances are if you're working in retail at a Hobby Lobby, you don't have a lot of choice. This ruling places a financial burden on employees who are (probably) already financially burdened. This is not responsible behavior for an employer that claims to be religious, but I suppose it is good for business if other means the employer saves a few cents per employee.

07-17-2014 08:01 PM
484 ... 17181920