07-18-2014 04:07 PM
484 ... 181920
tools
    Chances are if you're working in retail at a Hobby Lobby, you don't have a lot of choice. This ruling places a financial burden on employees who are (probably) already financially burdened. This is not responsible behavior for an employer that claims to be religious, but I suppose it is good for business if other means the employer saves a few cents per employee.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    That's probably one of the saddest parts about this whole thing, that the people that are claiming religious freedom are doing it disingenuously. I heard somewhere that one of the unintended consequences of this is there is a slight up-tick of actual abortions that take place. I also heard that some of the birth control medications that are now off the table are some that are used after rapes. What a way to make a woman feel after she's already gone through the ordeal of rape, "Oh we're sorry but that form of contraception isn't covered by your insurance company even in this instance, so we're going to have to stick you with the bill". Stay classy bible thumpers, stay classy.....
    GadgetGator and nolittdroid like this.
    07-17-2014 08:23 PM

Not to mention the fact that it's illegal, I don't think I've ever had to fill out a job application that asked me what my religion was. That being said, I don't expect an employer to share with me what their religious affiliation is. The only time I would suspect that they would share that sort of information with me is when they're attempting to make a case as to why I should also be of that same religion. At which point, I will have to consider if my employment with said company is conditional upon me following the same religion. There is a reason that religion and politics should not be discussed at work.
    Depending on how and where you network (church, or other religious gathering) or even by looking online through social media its not that difficult to determine where someone stands on certain issues.
    07-17-2014 08:29 PM
    Depending on how and where you network (church, or other religious gathering) or even by looking online through social media its not that difficult to determine where someone stands on certain issues.

Someone can say they stand for something but that doesn't mean much as far as I'm concerned. Some of the same people that claim to be Christian are the same people that are screaming about the influx of Central American children and insisting they send them back home. I'm no religious scholar, but seems to me that Jesus would be thoroughly disgusted at some of the people that pretend to be his followers and their actions.
    07-17-2014 09:02 PM
    Someone can say they stand for something but that doesn't mean much as far as I'm concerned. Some of the same people that claim to be Christian are the same people that are screaming about the influx of Central American children and insisting they send them back home. I'm no religious scholar, but seems to me that Jesus would be thoroughly disgusted at some of the people that pretend to be his followers and their actions.
    We all meet people who are not what they seem or claim to be, not only at work, but at church as well. I believe that those people will be held accountable when the time comes.

My relationship with my God affects and is a part of my daily life. For example, you may remember when I was in the hospital last year. There came a point that I was aware of my surroundings and on some level I knew I was dying. At this point I turned to God and left my future in his hands. I found out later that around the same time is when the doctors sent my wife and kids into my hospital room to say goodbye to me because all the information they had indicated to them that I was going to die soon.

I do not want to turn this into a sermon, nor am I trying to push my beliefs on anyone else. This is simply an example of how deep some peoples faith is.
    07-17-2014 09:09 PM
    We all meet people who are not what they seem or claim to be, not only at work, but at church as well. I believe that those people will be held accountable when the time comes.

My relationship with my God affects and is a part of my daily life. For example, you may remember when I was in the hospital last year. There came a point that I was aware of my surroundings and on some level I knew I was dying. At this point I turned to God and left my future in his hands. I found out later that around the same time is when the doctors sent my wife and kids into my hospital room to say goodbye to me because all the information they had indicated to them that I was going to die soon.

I do not want to turn this into a sermon, nor am I trying to push my beliefs on anyone else. This is simply an example of how deep some peoples faith is.

The problem I have with this is that people lose loved ones every day. What I get from your post is that you believe your relationship with God is better than someone else's relationship than God who lost their loved ones. I'm not sure that's the way it's supposed to work and who knows if that's the point you were trying to make. Hence the reason it's best to keep these types of things to oneself.
    07-17-2014 09:38 PM
    I've never read the bible, but from what I've heard from others, Jesus never said you should be forced into "charity" at the tip of the Roman spear. In today's terms, government forcing you to pay or care for someone isn't just. Doing it out of the goodness of your own heart is how it is preached, and how you receive the greatest satisfaction from helping.
    toober and Scott7217 like this.
    07-17-2014 10:26 PM
    The problem I have with this is that people lose loved ones every day. What I get from your post is that you believe your relationship with God is better than someone else's relationship than God who lost their loved ones. I'm not sure that's the way it's supposed to work and who knows if that's the point you were trying to make. Hence the reason it's best to keep these types of things to oneself.
    At the heart of this issue and the Supreme Courts ruling, regardless of how narrow the focus, is in fact the religious freedom of the individuals that own Hobby Lobby.

I never said that my relationship with God is better than anyone else's. I've lost loved one's prior to my relationship with him and since then.

I was and am simply pointing out how an individual can allow that relationship to be the most important relationship in their life. Therefore if I were to own a business I could certainly understand turning to God and ensuring his work was done in that business. For some that relationship is the most important one in our lives, before our marriage, even before our children comes our relationship with him.
    07-18-2014 12:00 AM
    But we saw what private healthcare does, it kicks people off with pre-existing conditions, it cancels your insurance if you have cancer, it kicks your college aged children off of your insurance, it cancels your policy if they insist that you filled out form B incorrectly by signing your name in blue ink. Our healthcare system shouldn't be a for-profit endeavor. The obvious conflict of interest is why we have one of the most expensive and least efficient systems in the developed world.
    Wow. What does one payer do? Look at the VA system and get back to us. Incidentally, my wife of 30 years died of cancer and her insurance was not canceled. When she became eligible for Social Security benefits, I adamantly refused due to the endless restrictions.

Sent via my Note 8
    Scott7217 likes this.
    07-18-2014 02:52 AM
    Therefore if I were to own a business I could certainly understand turning to God and ensuring his work was done in that business. For some that relationship is the most important one in our lives, before our marriage, even before our children comes our relationship with him.

I think if you want to do his work, there are better ways than selling products made in China, which doesn't exactly have a stellar record of human rights and has state sponsored abortions with its 1 child per household mandate. I won't even get in to how they treat their citizens. But yeah if he thinks he's doing "gods work", then he's the one that has to find a way to sleep at night with his hypocrisy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    GadgetGator and hydrogen3 like this.
    07-18-2014 04:07 PM
484 ... 181920