07-10-2014 10:29 AM
57 123
tools
    Unless you turn off Google's backup of your WiFi networks in Backup and Restore, this information isn't ONLY on your devices.

If someone wants to know what wireless networks I've connected to, so what? Does that info include geographic location? If not, how do they know which of the 5 or 6 saved networks is my home? I take it back, one of them is actually the address of the network location, but I'm only there 1 week a year and I'm sure LOTS of others have the network saved.

Call me a sheep if you must, I've got NOTHING to hide. Until someone decides it's illegal to have subscriptions to certain (currently legal) sites and they use my (presumably private, encrypted) email to track that and arrest me, there's no reason for them to send the black helicopters my way.
    A895 and msndrstood like this.
    07-06-2014 09:35 AM
    Unless you turn off Google's backup of your WiFi networks in Backup and Restore, this information isn't ONLY on your devices.

If someone wants to know what wireless networks I've connected to, so what? Does that info include geographic location? If not, how do they know which of the 5 or 6 saved networks is my home? I take it back, one of them is actually the address of the network location, but I'm only there 1 week a year and I'm sure LOTS of others have the network saved.

Call me a sheep if you must, I've got NOTHING to hide. Until someone decides it's illegal to have subscriptions to certain (currently legal) sites and they use my (presumably private, encrypted) email to track that and arrest me, there's no reason for them to send the black helicopters my way.
    My thoughts exactly. Knowing what WiFi network you connected too is not serious at all, unless it broadcasts exact GPS coordinates, this is a non issue.

Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App
    07-06-2014 09:57 AM
    Jokes on them for me I guess... I only get on my home wifi... Otherwise mobile data.

Also I could honestly careless if they knew what wifi I was connected to previously anyway.. :P.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    A895 likes this.
    07-06-2014 10:58 AM
    You probably are hanging out.
    Like Merkel with Obama.
    Ah, now I see. Perfectly.
    A895 likes this.
    07-06-2014 11:12 AM
    As for this "issue," I wouldn't be surprised to find out if every device did it.
    A895 likes this.
    07-06-2014 06:00 PM
    In about 5 years we will look back on days like this and say, Gee wasn't it nice when the government hardly ever tracked us? If you think its bad now, just wait! I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I'm just living in reality. It's going to happen. We just will have to live with it if you want technology that keeps you connected to everything 24/7.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App
    A895 and mrsmumbles like this.
    07-06-2014 06:32 PM
    Location history is extremely sensitive information for some people

by the way ( Response from Google )
    “We take the security of our users’ location data very seriously and we’re always happy to be made aware of potential issues ahead of time. Since changes to this behavior would potentially affect user connectivity to hidden access points, we are still investigating what changes are appropriate for a future release.”
    07-06-2014 10:48 PM
    There are plenty of people fearful that the government is keeping a constant eye on their citizens, tracking and cataloging their whereabouts on a constant basis. To those people, something like this is horrifying and fills them with rage.

I am not one of those people.

The NSA really couldn't care any less about what Wi-Fi hotspots I've connected to.... I don't associate with the kinds of people that get the cloak and daggar treatment. And... and I'm going to go out on a limb here.... none of you are that important either. The NSA has far more pressing issues on their mind than where a bunch of mobile phone geeks go to save on their mobile data.

But another thing to keep in mind..... if the people that work in that giant black cube want to keep tabs on you (which they don't)... turning off your Wi-Fi scan isn't exactly going to hamper their efforts.

But hey, gotta keep the foil hat brigade busy or they'll start to do something foolish.
    TgeekB, A895 and TOTtomdora like this.
    07-07-2014 11:01 AM
    There are plenty of people fearful that the government is keeping a constant eye on their citizens, tracking and cataloging their whereabouts on a constant basis. To those people, something like this is horrifying and fills them with rage.

I am not one of those people.

The NSA really couldn't care any less about what Wi-Fi hotspots I've connected to.... I don't associate with the kinds of people that get the cloak and daggar treatment. And... and I'm going to go out on a limb here.... none of you are that important either. The NSA has far more pressing issues on their mind than where a bunch of mobile phone geeks go to save on their mobile data.

But another thing to keep in mind..... if the people that work in that giant black cube want to keep tabs on you (which they don't)... turning off your Wi-Fi scan isn't exactly going to hamper their efforts.

But hey, gotta keep the foil hat brigade busy or they'll start to do something foolish.
    Totally agree. The premise that the government is watching every citizen is ridiculous. They don't have the manpower nor interest. It's like saying I'm watching every person I walk by in the mall. Do my eyes see most of them? Sure, but I don't concentrate on 99% of them. If my eyes were to catch something suspicious, then you can bet I would focus on them.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Posted via Android Central App
    A895 and TOTtomdora like this.
    07-07-2014 11:46 AM
    Thread cleaned

I remind some of the participants in the discussion of this thread to Please remain on topic as per the guidelines.

Taking Threads Off Topic - While the interplay of a conversation in the forums will naturally wander; members must not intentionally derail a thread from its original topic
    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Almeuit and Aquila like this.
    07-08-2014 08:06 AM
    The premise that the government is watching every citizen is ridiculous. They don't have the manpower
    They don't need manpower. They have computer power. Paid for with your tax dollars. E.g. scores of acres of servers in Utah that store and (try to) analyse every move you make on the internet, on the phone, and IRL (GPS and tower triangulation).
    Paid for by you! To spy on you!

nor interest.
    If they have no interest then what are they wasting billions of your tax dollars on the FBI, NSA, DHS, FISA, and these humongous data centers for...? Like this one: the size (and cost) of 10 Ronald Reagan class aircraft carriers.
    Attached Thumbnails Your Android Phone Is Telling the World Where You've Been-nsa-utah-data-center.jpg  
    07-08-2014 10:15 AM
    My thoughts exactly. Knowing what WiFi network you connected too is not serious at all, unless it broadcasts exact GPS coordinates, this is a non issue.

However, if someone were to know the wifi networks your phone would automatically connect to, it would be possible to setup a hotspot with that same SSID and then sniff your traffic.
    07-08-2014 10:22 AM
    However, if someone were to know the wifi networks your phone would automatically connect to, it would be possible to setup a hotspot with that same SSID and then sniff your traffic.
    If in range of said hotspot sure... Or in range of that person. You'd have to be doing something really illegal or questionable for them to do that if we are talking the government.

If you're talking about just general security.. Well.. WiFi isn't the best regardless of knowing the SSID...

A895 likes this.
    07-08-2014 10:26 AM
    If in range of said hotspot sure... Or in range of that person. You'd have to be doing something really illegal or questionable for them to do that if we are talking the government.

If you're talking about just general security.. Well.. WiFi isn't the best regardless of knowing the SSID...

I'm just talking general wifi security, not government specifically. My reply was to the poster that said knowing those SSIDs was a non-issue. While it maybe not widely used, it's a potential for an exploit (as is quite a few things related to wifi as you mention).
    07-08-2014 10:33 AM
    its not governments you need to be wary of, its data thieves, and there is way more than just your wifi history that your phone gives out. I work information security and I helped my brother setup a way to monitor people when they walk close enough to the access points in the jewlery store chain he works for. depending on what all he wanted to gather, he could get the device name, mac address, device owner, and more, and thats not even with aggressive monitoring. for $40 he could get a publicly available tool that would be able to gather all the website you went to and the logins for any unsecured site.

dont argue about security the threat is real, but easy to avoid in most circumstances. if you logging into you bank or accounts you need to keep secure, then do it over mobile data if you can. but you can keep your wifi on at night, you probably dont have stalkers on you...
    gabbott, A895 and dctokyo like this.
    07-08-2014 10:52 AM
    its not governments you need to be wary of, its data thieves, and there is way more than just your wifi history that your phone gives out. I work information security and I helped my brother setup a way to monitor people when they walk close enough to the access points in the jewlery store chain he works for. depending on what all he wanted to gather, he could get the device name, mac address, device owner, and more, and thats not even with aggressive monitoring. for $40 he could get a publicly available tool that would be able to gather all the website you went to and the logins for any unsecured site.

dont argue about security the threat is real, but easy to avoid in most circumstances. if you logging into you bank or accounts you need to keep secure, then do it over mobile data if you can. but you can keep your wifi on at night, you probably dont have stalkers on you...
    I keep wifi off when not using.. I only use at home. I don't trust anything public wifi related for this reason lol.

davidnc and A895 like this.
    07-08-2014 11:00 AM
    I'll say this again: You're not that important. Why are those data centers so large? Can anyone here actually fathom the amount of data that the world processes these days? It's staggering. And yes, there are spooks out there going to try to intercept and go over as much of that as they can.... Governments have been doing this since the days when data was transported in scroll form on the back of a horse.

Egads, Mildred! They want to know what brand shaving cream I buy!

No. They are looking for very particular things, nasty "BREAKING NEWS: 100's DEAD" sort of things. They don't care if you steal cable from your neighbor, or if you got some cell phone case scam on Ebay.... Jackbooted shocktroops are not going to break into your home under the cover of darkness because you criticized a new trade policy (well, at least here in the US) on some tea party forum. They have no f's to give about you or your boring life. They aren't looking to establish some Orwellian society where they control every aspect of our lives.

They are looking for the deadly digital needle in a haystack the size of Jupiter. And that takes more than your new Macbook Air.

Yes, they aren't the only ones interested in data. There are plenty of thieves interested in all manners of digital douchebaggery. But the thing about them is that they are not stupid... Those security flaws you read about on Flipboard are yesterday's news and they've moved on to something new and improved.
    A895 and monsieurms like this.
    07-08-2014 12:08 PM
    They don't need manpower. They have computer power. Paid for with your tax dollars. E.g. scores of acres of servers in Utah that store and (try to) analyse every move you make on the internet, on the phone, and IRL (GPS and tower triangulation).

If they have no interest then what are they wasting billions of your tax dollars on the FBI, NSA, DHS, FISA, and these humongous data centers for...? Like this one: the size (and cost) of 10 Ronald Reagan class aircraft carriers.
    All they do with computer power is search for key words. They ARE NOT listening to me. There is a difference. Could they mistake what I say for something dangerous? I doubt it but there is a very, very, very slim chance. I am not worried. JMHO.

07-08-2014 07:18 PM
    They ARE NOT listening to me.
    I'm sorry to have to report that your raindance isn't working, Tgeek!

NSA spying flap extends to contents of U.S. phone calls - CNET

But if you keep shouting it loudly enough, who knows, maybe they will miraculously overlook you in their warrantless dragnet operations.
    07-08-2014 10:27 PM

But if you keep shouting it loudly enough, who knows, maybe they will miraculously overlook you in their warrantless dragnet operations.
    I'm curios does the tin foil hat affect your day to day life?

07-09-2014 04:55 AM

Doesn't change anything I have said, but keep on trying to scare everyone. I'm not shouting anything. I'm not scared. I'm not being watched by the NSA.

A895 likes this.
    07-09-2014 05:15 AM
    Indeed, you're certainly with the vast majority.
    A.k.a. the sheeple.
    I sympathize to some extent with your view, but really--you ARE posting on a public forum. Once you start to do things like that, you've already started to create a public trail that interested people can investigate, pieces and cookies and crumbs to be sewn together to discern your views, habits, etc. Little clues often add up to a lot of information for a determine spy, hacker or villain. If you're concerned with privacy, it's necessary to avoid the internet completely. It doesn't matter who listens to your phone conversation if you post on the internet. Really, tech is the biggest change. Not suddenly evil powers. It's just easy to invade privacy when so many people keep doing things that easily allow privacy to be invaded. To a considerable extent, it's a lost cause.
    davidnc and A895 like this.
    07-09-2014 06:24 AM
    I'm not being watched by the NSA.
    Keep chanting that mantra – in spite of the NSA themselves admitting they track everybody without a warrant – and maybe you'll convince even yourself. Simply look the other way. You will sleep better.
    07-09-2014 09:43 AM
    you've already started to create a public trail that interested people can investigate
    No, they can't if you take precautions. I take precautions.
    You should too.
    07-09-2014 09:48 AM
    No, they can't if you take precautions. I take precautions.
    You should too.
    So, you use a VPN. You think that's enough? Not enough if your pattern of postings actually attracts peoples' attention. And everyone slips at some point. Here's the way it goes down, assuming someone is doing something shady: certain words, phrases attract attention. Computer programs begin to match how language is used, common phrases and spelling. They create a profile of the person in question, assigning anonymous posts to that person's temporary identity even if different peudos are used. Eventually, they find a couple of personal details that are dropped here and there and they narrow the profile. And eventually bigger mistakes get made. That's how they catch hackers on occasion.

When you create identities on the internet, you're not wholly secure. Precautions are nice. Among the people who take precautions are Microsoft, Google, Sony, etc. All been hacked. I.e, nothing is perfect unless you just keep your head down and stay unconnected. In fact, talking to some security experts in a seminar a few months back, they told me that when they do mission-critical work, they won't even do it on a computer CONNECTED to the internet. But I digress. Nothing's perfectly safe, simply put.
    A895 likes this.
    07-09-2014 10:20 AM
57 123