07-10-2014 10:29 AM
57 123
    So they'll concentrate on easy prey. You.
    That, actually, is incorrect. As others have alluded to in this thread, barring some evidence of doing something wrong that stands out, catch phrases that computers catch and the like, they won't concentrate on you OR me, because they simply will not care enough to bother. It is a grain of sand on a 90 mile beach. You alluded to that yourself, so I don't think you really disagree.

And if they concentrate on you or someone else because that person IS doing something that generates those catch phrases--I predict you or they eventually won't like it. Osama wound up dead, btw. That's an easy riposte with many complex issues (and yes, I read the book, didn't just see the movie). But lots of really smart hackers have been arrested, too. While not many normal users are going to adopt the tin foil hat approach to security with all the layers you described--it seems like overkill for no good reason--I'm sure ALL those smart hackers thought they were immune, too, which just goes to show you what a false sense of security gets you when running around with Tor and Silk Road and so on. Evidently, people are human, make mistakes and get caught, no matter how careful they think they are. Shocking, huh? Here's the latest:

If motivated sufficiently, the authorities find a way, even out-of-the-box ways. If someone is doing something wrong, they will in fact be more motivated. And if not doing something wrong, it hardly matters anyway. I really don't care if they find out I like science fiction from reading this forum. Gasp! There! I've done it now. I'm toast.
    A895 likes this.
    07-09-2014 12:41 PM
    Talk about paranoid. No thank you. I live my life my own way and it's not through paranoia.

Posted via Android Central App
    A895 and monsieurms like this.
    07-09-2014 07:25 PM
    I always get a kick out of the online political scholars who parrot what someone else told them to be true.

Take a moment and study how Zbigniew Brzezinski influenced the course of this country's history by getting others to believe something just because he said it.

Then remember that the politics section is the best place for this sort of talk.
    TgeekB, A895, Johnly and 1 others like this.
    07-09-2014 11:13 PM
    If you are concerned about privacy sell your phone, delete Facebook and move on. You made a CHOICE to be on the grid by purchasing your cell phone. The government didn't force me to own a galaxy. Secondly who cares about your location being tracked? Unless you attend some real bad things I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Sent from my Galaxy S5
    TgeekB, A895, monsieurms and 1 others like this.
    07-09-2014 11:30 PM
    I don't get it. Of course it "knows" where I've been, I'm using "their" hardware and software. I don't understand who people think "they" are. I assume google knows all my stuff because my phone uses all google stuff. Since I don't have anything to hide, it seems like a fair trade to me.

I don't see why the conclusion is that the NSA automatically has all this information and uses it for some reason. The "government" has access to my tax returns, address, phone number, workplace location, super spy satellites, et al. If some NSA employee is rebuilding individual data packets in order to find out where I am...someone should tell him that it would be way easier to send a squad car and see if my lights are on
    TgeekB and monsieurms like this.
    07-10-2014 12:32 AM
    Looking back, I find myself glad that I ran away from this thread when I did.
    A895 likes this.
    07-10-2014 01:59 AM
    Thread has been moved to politics, cleaned, many infractions issued and closed. Wow.
    VDub2174 likes this.
    07-10-2014 10:29 AM
57 123