11-18-2014 09:03 AM
136 1234 ...
tools
    I think the law would state anything above the posted limit is speeding (and I've heard of tickets issued for 1mph), but speedometers are also allowed to be off I think 5mph at 55 and still be considered ok. So I personally don't mind a little over when accounting for variables in speedometers.

Btw, anyone else find this a rather odd topic to be so active here? :beer:
    I've actually tried driving the speed limit on a few occasions and found it to be a little mind numbing on long trips. Then there's the actual flow of traffic vs the actual speed limit. If you aren't at least trying to go with the flow of traffic, you run the risk of changing lanes into a car that's going faster.

I still think the number is arbitrary and needs to be re-evaluated considering how far cars have come in the past 40 years. About the only concern I would have is having parents that are close to 70 years old, I've seen how their driving is affected by their deteriorated condition. I've actually told them on more than a few occasions to try to stay out of the left lane unless they're trying to pass. I guess what I'd ultimately like to see is police departments abandon the enforcement of a random number that doesn't necessarily indicate reckless driving and focus on actually catching reckless drivers. Then again, it's much easier to assign an arbitrary number and automatically assume guilt of reckless driving because someone is going 1 MPH over a posted speed.
    07-06-2014 09:19 PM
    First off, 1mph over isn't reckless driving. That usually doesn't kick in until 15 over. Plus many states are starting to up the speed limits. Good or bad, it is happening with most of those states going to 70-75 mph limits and some at 80. But the way speed limits are supposed to figured is by what's called the 80% rule. If the road can handle it, speed limits are set to what 80% of traffic would normally drive. So if 80% of drivers would run 65 mph or less, then that's the limit.

The down side is upping the speed limit doesn't mean everyone will go faster. People concerned with fuel mileage and safety will tend to drive slower. If they aren't doing 65 now, it's reasonable to assume they won't go much, if any faster, with a higher speed limit. Now add in people that would consider 65 to be their personal limit, and that means a greater number of people going under the limit. If that's your concern.

I hear all the time of how split speeds can be dangerous due to increased interaction between vehicles. That's a good theory, but I've yet to hear any hard numbers on how much more dangerous (if any) it is. It's always the vague "studies show..." type answers from groups against things like split speed limits for cars and large trucks. Thinking about it anecdotally, someone doing 60 and another doing 80 is the same as driving down a city road at 20 mph. Consider that when you're diving through town and how much reaction time you have at that speed. If you rear end someone, or someone cuts in front of you at that differential, that's purely someone not paying attention. I also keep up on these kinds of things pretty closely, especially when it comes to trucks driving slow. There is no epidemic of rear end collisions due to these slower drivers.
    07-06-2014 09:44 PM
    First off, 1mph over isn't reckless driving. That usually doesn't kick in until 15 over. Plus many states are starting to up the speed limits. Good or bad, it is happening with most of those states going to 70-75 mph limits and some at 80. But the way speed limits are supposed to figured is by what's called the 80% rule. If the road can handle it, speed limits are set to what 80% of traffic would normally drive. So if 80% of drivers would run 65 mph or less, then that's the limit.

The down side is upping the speed limit doesn't mean everyone will go faster. People concerned with fuel mileage and safety will tend to drive slower. If they aren't doing 65 now, it's reasonable to assume they won't go much, if any faster, with a higher speed limit. Now add in people that would consider 65 to be their personal limit, and that means a greater number of people going under the limit. If that's your concern.

I hear all the time of how split speeds can be dangerous due to increased interaction between vehicles. That's a good theory, but I've yet to hear any hard numbers on how much more dangerous (if any) it is. It's always the vague "studies show..." type answers from groups against things like split speed limits for cars and large trucks. Thinking about it anecdotally, someone doing 60 and another doing 80 is the same as driving down a city road at 20 mph. Consider that when you're diving through town and how much reaction time you have at that speed. If you rear end someone, or someone cuts in front of you at that differential, that's purely someone not paying attention. I also keep up on these kinds of things pretty closely, especially when it comes to trucks driving slow. There is no epidemic of rear end collisions due to these slower drivers.
    The problem is that even at speeds as slow as 40 MPH, it's like falling from a 4 story building so anything even approaching highway speeds is already inherently dangerous. For an arbitrary number to be set and for an officer to cite you for going past that arbitrary number just seems illogical to me. I'd rather be cited for actually being reckless as opposed to going 1-100 MPH over some randomly set number. Montana had it right for a while when they had no real speed limit, but officers could pull you over if they felt you were driving excessively fast.
    07-06-2014 10:57 PM
    I'll bet I've had more speeding tickets than all of you guys combined. 😛
    07-13-2014 09:27 AM
    I'll bet I've had more speeding tickets than all of you guys combined. ������
    I've had 0...
    07-13-2014 09:30 AM
    I've had 0...
    You just haven't gotten caught yet. 😄
    Aquila likes this.
    07-13-2014 12:02 PM
    I wonder how many people have been ticketed for driving slow. Would be nice to see officers pulling people over for being an actual danger on the highway. The other day I saw a guy driving a small moped on the highway. I think he was doing all of 40 MPH and everyone behind him was jockeying to pass him. Talk about dangerous.
    07-13-2014 04:47 PM
    Unlike some to most on AC, I actually live in Georgia (SW Atlanta as a matter of fact) and it is common knowledge that people speed and drive fast there all the time, from cops to cars to big trucks, they all speed and because people love to speed so much, this penalizes people who go the speed limit (like me).

I drive to my college in Lawrenceville which is a 45-60 minute drive and of you drive on say 85 or 285 people will not hesitate to ride your behind until you move over or until they can get over. I am out of town now (for 4 weeks now), but now I know I can't drive the speed limit anymore when I go home, thanks for that Georgia.

Now between this, commissioning building the New Stadium in Atlanta, and doing nothing to stop the number of deaths that happen in Atlanta because of reckless drivers (in February-March, they already had over 50 people die in car accidents since January!), I am questioning the people who run my own home state.

Anyone in Georgia can tell you it is nothing but traffic, car accidents, and speeders on the roads and this law should not have even been thought of.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-14-2014 03:03 AM
    Anyone in Georgia can tell you it is nothing but traffic, car accidents, and speeders on the roads and this law should not have even been thought of.
    I don't live there, but I'll vouch for you on this. They don't call I-285 the Watermelon 500 for nothing.
    07-14-2014 03:12 AM
    I'm not sure why some of you think this law means we're going into Mad Max road rules. The bottom line is if you're in the left lane and aren't trying to pass the car to your right, you're breaking the law. If you want to avoid breaking the law, stay out of the left lane if you're not using it for what it was intended for, passing.
    07-14-2014 06:22 AM
    I'm not sure why some of you think this law means we're going into Mad Max road rules. The bottom line is if you're in the left lane and aren't trying to pass the car to your right, you're breaking the law. If you want to avoid breaking the law, stay out of the left lane if you're not using it for what it was intended for, passing.
    No the left lane is the fast lane, and more often than not people are speeding in there. This law is basically letting those who drive fast the right to make people who go the speed limit move into other lanes.

07-14-2014 09:14 AM
    I don't live there, but I'll vouch for you on this. They don't call I-285 the Watermelon 500 for nothing.
    I-285 is like a racetrack, anytime I drive on there no one goes less than 70 mph over there and I have never even saw a police presence on 1-285 north or east.

07-14-2014 09:16 AM
    No the left lane is the fast lane, and more often than not people are speeding in there. This law is basically letting those who drive fast the right to make people who go the speed limit move into other lanes.

What's the problem with that? Having slower traffic stay right promotes more consistent flow. If people want to speed, let them. It is of no inconvenience to move over and let faster cars pass.
    07-14-2014 10:56 AM
    What's the problem with that? Having slower traffic stay right promotes more consistent flow. If people want to speed, let them. It is of no inconvenience to move over and let faster cars pass.
    What is the issue with just enforcing the speeding laws that are already in place besides punishing those who follow the law? More often than not, traffic does not allow someone to just switch lanes because someone is speeding behind them.

07-14-2014 12:00 PM
    What is the issue with just enforcing the speeding laws that are already in place besides punishing those who follow the law? More often than not, traffic does not allow someone to just switch lanes because someone is speeding behind them.

The speed limits being enforced and this law are two separate discussions. Drivers do not have the ability to track others' speeds and should not be concerned with others' speeds outside of extreme circumstances.

What drivers should be concerned with is their position relative to the other drivers. NO ONE should be in the left lane unless they are passing. Period. If you are passing and someone comes up behind you wanting to pass faster than you are, you move over at the next available position and let them by.

If traffic is overly congested, you follow this rule as much as you can and just accept that it will not always apply.
    davidnc likes this.
    07-14-2014 12:35 PM
    The speed limits being enforced and this law are two separate discussions. Drivers do not have the ability to track others' speeds and should not be concerned with others' speeds outside of extreme circumstances.

What drivers should be concerned with is their position relative to the other drivers. NO ONE should be in the left lane unless they are passing. Period. If you are passing and someone comes up behind you wanting to pass faster than you are, you move over at the next available position and let them by.

If traffic is overly congested, you follow this rule as much as you can and just accept that it will not always apply.
    I don't know how you drive, but you should always be aware of others drivers speeds as if you are not careful accidents ensue. Especially in Atlanta, people will get into accidents quick, I am only 19 and I have never been in a traffic accident, and I have been driving for over 2 years now.

07-14-2014 01:31 PM
    I don't know how you drive, but you should always be aware of others drivers speeds as if you are not careful accidents ensue. Especially in Atlanta, people will get into accidents quick, I am only 19 and I have never been in a traffic accident, and I have been driving for over 2 years now.

You should be aware of their speed relative to your own of course, but you should not be concerned with "O their speeding".

If someone wants to go faster than you, quickly and safely get out of their way. Them speeding within reason is of no concern to you. If you feel the need to do something about them speeding, take down plate numbers and call the cops. It is not your or anyone else's place to be the pace car for the whole interstate. Stay right and be curtious.
    07-14-2014 01:38 PM
    You should be aware of their speed relative to your own of course, but you should not be concerned with "O their speeding".

If someone wants to go faster than you, quickly and safely get out of their way. Them speeding within reason is of no concern to you. If you feel the need to do something about them speeding, take down plate numbers and call the cops. It is not your or anyone else's place to be the pace car for the whole interstate. Stay right and be curtious.
    The point is that Georgia's highways are primarily interstates, and there are usually no less than 3-4 lanes on them, and the left most lane is the fastest, and when you are in that lane you are allowed to go at the most 10-15 mph over the speed limit, once you go over that you are speeding. The speed limit on highways vary between 55-70 mph.

So by that rule, someone goes on average 60-65 in a 55, speeders are those who hit 70mph or more in these 55 speed limit areas. These are the people who will tailgate you for going only 60-65 in the fastest lanes and even in the right slower lanes, there are those who speed over there as well.

Either way, this law makes people who go slower be penalized.

07-14-2014 05:15 PM

I thought everyone knew the rule.

Georgia "Slowpoke Law"-202068361_d7b9a3bf1b_o.jpg

Then again, I think if everyone was more in tune with driving correctly, driving with their surroundings and other drivers in mind, we wouldn't have as much road rage as we have now.
    07-14-2014 06:30 PM
    The point is that Georgia's highways are primarily interstates, and there are usually no less than 3-4 lanes on them, and the left most lane is the fastest, and when you are in that lane you are allowed to go at the most 10-15 mph over the speed limit, once you go over that you are speeding. The speed limit on highways vary between 55-70 mph.

So by that rule, someone goes on average 60-65 in a 55, speeders are those who hit 70mph or more in these 55 speed limit areas. These are the people who will tailgate you for going only 60-65 in the fastest lanes and even in the right slower lanes, there are those who speed over there as well.

Either way, this law makes people who go slower be penalized.

If you look at it from an environmental standpoint, moving over makes even more sense. If you are congesting the highways by not moving over, you're bottle-necking traffic and forcing people to pass on the right, which in turn causes a chain reaction that causes other drivers to apply their brakes which slows down traffic behind them when they should be driving at a consistent speed to maximize their momentum. The minute someone behind you has to apply their brakes because you won't move over, that's lost MPG. You might as well have everyone drive with their emergency brake on.
    07-14-2014 06:35 PM
    If you look at it from an environmental standpoint, moving over makes even more sense. If you are congesting the highways by not moving over, you're bottle-necking traffic and forcing people to pass on the right, which in turn causes a chain reaction that causes other drivers to apply their brakes which slows down traffic behind them when they should be driving at a consistent speed to maximize their momentum. The minute someone behind you has to apply their brakes because you won't move over, that's lost MPG. You might as well have everyone drive with their emergency brake on.
    This is the same reasoning for being against forcing big trucks to the right one or two lanes only, like you see in big cities. Most of them would love to get over and cruise on through without having to slow down at every interchange because of local traffic trying to get on and off. Staying to the right can be more dangerous to boot.

Now on the open road with light traffic, I'm all for keeping right except to pass. As I mentioned in my first post, my biggest beef with this kind of law is it puts law breakers in higher regard and there's nothing "educational" about it as the article suggested.
    07-14-2014 06:55 PM
    I thought everyone knew the rule.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	202068361_d7b9a3bf1b_o.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	127565

Then again, I think if everyone was more in tune with driving correctly, driving with their surroundings and other drivers in mind, we wouldn't have as much road rage as we have now.
    True

07-14-2014 06:55 PM
    The bad part is when there is traffic in Atlanta, ALL the lanes have slowdown including the HOV lanes. Because the most common reasons for traffic is accidents or construction. Either one causes slowdown everywhere and makes you late to wherever you need to go.

07-14-2014 06:58 PM
    This is the same reasoning for being against forcing big trucks to the right one or two lanes only, like you see in big cities. Most of them would love to get over and cruise on through without having to slow down at every interchange because of local traffic trying to get on and off. Staying to the right can be more dangerous to boot.

Now on the open road with light traffic, I'm all for keeping right except to pass. As I mentioned in my first post, my biggest beef with this kind of law is it puts law breakers in higher regard and there's nothing "educational" about it as the article suggested.
    Large trucks should try to maintain a good flow with the traffic since they're larger to maneuver and can't accelerate and decelerate like a smaller vehicle. Now given the size of an 18-wheeler, I would understand having it on the far left lane so that it only has to accommodate for people on the right side. The only problem is that they generally drive slower than traffic so you'd have the same problem with people passing on the right.

I've actually seen a few 18 wheelers, just last week even, driving on the left hand lane of a 5 lane highway (5 on each side) trying to cut across all 5 lanes because they were trying to make an exit. Personally I think they are better off staying in the lane next to the far left lane and trying to maintain the same speeds as traffic surrounding them.
    07-14-2014 07:45 PM
    The bad part is when there is traffic in Atlanta, ALL the lanes have slowdown including the HOV lanes. Because the most common reasons for traffic is accidents or construction. Either one causes slowdown everywhere and makes you late to wherever you need to go.

Those accidents are mostly due to people not paying attention and doing something while driving that they shouldn't be doing, although it seems like the Dallas/Fort Worth area is constantly under construction, so at this point, lets pray that someone finally gets around to making a George Jetson car or a James Bond flying suit. I personally like the idea of a flying suit.
    07-14-2014 07:47 PM
136 1234 ...