11-18-2014 09:03 AM
136 12345 ...
tools
    The only problem is that they generally drive slower than traffic so you'd have the same problem with people passing on the right.
    The situations I'm referring to are generally in major metro areas where traffic is already backed up and no one is able to go the speed limit anyway. I run through the Twin Cities almost daily in mine and they don't have a right lane restriction. I do stay towards the left, and cruise along smoothly. I also stay out of the far left unless needed for an exit. If I'm going through at night, I'll stay more to the right because the road is mostly open. When I do mentoring sessions and ride alongs, I teach the students the same thing. It's all situational dependent, and should pick your lanes early and responsibly.

I've actually seen a few 18 wheelers, just last week even, driving on the left hand lane of a 5 lane highway (5 on each side) trying to cut across all 5 lanes because they were trying to make an exit. Personally I think they are better off staying in the lane next to the far left lane and trying to maintain the same speeds as traffic surrounding them.
    I'm sure it happens, but for every one truck doing that, there's probably a dozen or more cars doing it too. I'm not saying the trucks get a free press on it, just putting it into perspective. The "Jersey Sweep," as it's known. Every driver, regardless of what they're driving, should know how dangerous that is. I've also had the opposite happen to me. 4 lanes wide open, I'm over one to let a car on, who immediately sweeps to the far left lane, cutting me off in the process. The things we see out here...

Now, if you really want to talk about scary big vehicles, it's the RV's you should be worried about. Nearly the size of a bus, but can drive with a general Class C license.
    07-14-2014 09:19 PM
    Those accidents are mostly due to people not paying attention and doing something while driving that they shouldn't be doing, although it seems like the Dallas/Fort Worth area is constantly under construction, so at this point, lets pray that someone finally gets around to making a George Jetson car or a James Bond flying suit. I personally like the idea of a flying suit.
    People are known to be on their phones as it is still legal to talk and drive in Georgia. Texting is illegal though.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-14-2014 09:37 PM
    That there, is a peach of an idea.
    07-14-2014 09:58 PM
    No the left lane is the fast lane, and more often than not people are speeding in there. This law is basically letting those who drive fast the right to make people who go the speed limit move into other lanes.

No the left lane is the passing lane. No if and or buts. This law basically makes it enforceable. It is unsafe to keep forcing people to have to move to the right lane which yes is generally going slower.

aka if you are being passed on the right you are in the wrong. It does not matter what the speed is.
    Yes that means if you are cruising in the left lane at the speed limit and everyone else is going 5+ over you are in the wrong. Being a vigilantly is illegal.
    07-15-2014 10:05 AM
    This is the same reasoning for being against forcing big trucks to the right one or two lanes only, like you see in big cities. Most of them would love to get over and cruise on through without having to slow down at every interchange because of local traffic trying to get on and off. Staying to the right can be more dangerous to boot.

Now on the open road with light traffic, I'm all for keeping right except to pass. As I mentioned in my first post, my biggest beef with this kind of law is it puts law breakers in higher regard and there's nothing "educational" about it as the article suggested.
    Tell you the truth the reason they did that is for safety.
    I remember reading years ago when they did a trail run of that in Texas somewhere around Houston they took a high truck traffic highway that was 3 lanes and restrict the trucks to the right 2 lanes. There a large drop in traffic accidents on that stretch.
    That being said the accidents before were very often not the truckers fault but it still had a large drop so they started expanding the program.
    07-15-2014 10:15 AM
    Tell you the truth the reason they did that is for safety.
    I remember reading years ago when they did a trail run of that in Texas somewhere around Houston they took a high truck traffic highway that was 3 lanes and restrict the trucks to the right 2 lanes. There a large drop in traffic accidents on that stretch.
    That being said the accidents before were very often not the truckers fault but it still had a large drop so they started expanding the program.
    With the exception of a few state and total highway restrictions, most left lane restricted sections are in the busy urban areas with high traffic. According to a Louisiana study, that's about the worst place to have such a restriction.

http://www.ltrc.lsu.edu/pdf/2009/tar_09_1ta.pdf

• Restricting trucks to the right-hand lane in urban settings does not work as it impedes entering and exiting on the interstate.
    • Conditions most conducive to favorable application of truck lane restrictions are freeways with three or more lanes in each direction, interchanges spaced more than two miles apart with low ramp volumes, total traffic flows greater than 1300 vehicles per hour per lane, and truck percentages between 10 and 25 percent of the total traffic stream.
    That quote is located near the top in the summary findings, so you don't need to read the entire report to find it. And speaking anecdotally from personal experience in such congested and restricted locations around the country, I'm constantly on the brakes because of other drivers cutting me off, many times people are nearly pinned to the wall because I'm blocked from moving over and the person getting on doesn't yield the right of way, my actual speed reduction is way more than the couple mph the study found (sometimes to 10 mph or more), and I'm interacting with many more vehicles than I would if I was allowed to use a left lane and go with the flow. All of those add to the chance of causing accidents and increased congestion.

I also want to say I heard of a study in Ohio where a city did the opposite, ordering trucks into the left two lanes unless exiting, and that improved congestion and travel times through the area. It was something reported on the radio, and can't seem to locate it online due to the number of articles proposing the standard restrictions. I'll keep looking to see if I can find it again
    Timelessblur likes this.
    07-15-2014 12:43 PM
    I agree with states who pass these kind of slow poke laws.
    I'm not sure if they have a slow poke law in North Carolina but they need one.
    There are too many people who drive in the left lane who just barely go the speed limit.
    I also believe the left lane should be used for passing, if you don't want to pass drive in the right lane.Except when allowing for merging traffic,move to the left but back to right lane after allowing traffic to merge.
    If you want to pass move to the left to pass whatever cars/trucks then afterwards move back to the right lane.
    That way you allow people wanting to pass you to do so.
    I dont care if someone wants to pass me as long as they are driving safely(in control).

To me it goes get tiring to see 2 cars riding side by side neither seeming able to completely over take the other and backing up traffic in both lanes.

I know in Upper Northwest Michigan they have signs on some roads stating that a certain lane is just used for "passing lane" and you risk getting fined if you get caught using that lane just to poke along in.

PS: I havent ever had a speeding ticket(gotten caught) .I have passed cops even if they are driving slow or right at the speed limit while on an interstate or cities that have an interstate type outter loop going around the city
    07-16-2014 02:00 PM
    So under that law, if you have someone going the speed limit in the left lane and a speeder wanting to pass, who do you feel deserves the ticket? Or both, assuming the cop can stop them both at the same time?
    Speeding is illegal, which is why the police issue tickets for it. Drivers who exceed the speed limit are violating the law. Therefore, the ticket should go to the speeder.
    A895 likes this.
    07-22-2014 05:24 AM
    UPDATE: I am back in Atlanta and people are really taking advantage of the new law, I'm order for MW to stay in the left lane, I have to go near 70 in a 55 area. I knew people be speeding around here, but it is off the chain now. I haven't touched 85 or I-20 yet.

07-22-2014 06:59 AM
    UPDATE: I am back in Atlanta and people are really taking advantage of the new law, I'm order for MW to stay in the left lane, I have to go near 70 in a 55 area. I knew people be speeding around here, but it is off the chain now. I haven't touched 85 or I-20 yet.

Let be honest. That is not the law that is just how fast traffic is going.

I can point to many roads around here where I live with no slow poke law that are 55 and people regularly go 70 on.

Hell I have driven the Louisiana at 95 mph and was one of the slower cars on the road. I lived in the right lane getting passed left and right. Kind of freak me out as 95 was my personal limit.

In Houston when they drop the highway speed to 55 the left lane speed did not change it still did 73 mph on a normal day. Same as when it was 70 mph. Here over 10 year later and the speed limit is 60-65 the left lane is still 73 mph proving the traffic allows for it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    07-22-2014 11:44 AM
    Let be honest. That is not the law that is just how fast traffic is going.

I can point to many roads around here where I live with no slow poke law that are 55 and people regularly go 70 on.

Hell I have driven the Louisiana at 95 mph and was one of the slower cars on the road. I lived in the right lane getting passed left and right. Kind of freak me out as 95 was my personal limit.

In Houston when they drop the highway speed to 55 the left lane speed did not change it still did 73 mph on a normal day. Same as when it was 70 mph. Here over 10 year later and the speed limit is 60-65 the left lane is still 73 mph proving the traffic allows for it.

I am pretty sure, traffic has sped up lately. I never had to go 70 in the left lane in my zip code before. I used to have to 60 max, that is a big difference. Traffic has seemingly sped up or I could be tripping, either way, traffic sucks as always here.

07-22-2014 02:21 PM
    I am pretty sure, traffic has sped up lately. I never had to go 70 in the left lane in my zip code before. I used to have to 60 max, that is a big difference. Traffic has seemingly sped up or I could be tripping, either way, traffic sucks as always here.

What you have to realize is that you're not there to make sure everyone goes the speed limit. When you impede traffic in the left lane because you feel that you should, you're being passive aggressive and fostering a road rage environment. If the offender that is trying to overtake you, just let him overtake you on the left and call 911 to report his excessive speed if it bothers you that much. If anything, you'll alert local law enforcement and they will have a larger presence on the road, which should discourage people driving at an unlawful rate of speed, which is win-win.
    07-22-2014 08:52 PM
    Just make all highways like the Bundesautobahn and be done with it.
    07-23-2014 10:28 AM
    I was on the road again and saw something that is pretty common in my area (Dallas/Fort Worth), some jackhole was in the right lane, there were 3 cars ahead of him stopped at a stoplight I was in the left lane approaching the stoplight (the car ahead of me just made a left turn and there was no one in front of him). So this bonehead pulls out in front of me to get to the open spot in the left lane. When the light turns green what does he do? He goes SLOWER than the 3 cars that were ahead of him in the right lane. Those types of idiotic drivers need to be stripped of their driving privileges immediately.

Thus, I have no problem with any of these extra laws that force people to be mindful of traffic on the left lane. If anything, we need laws that force people to be mindful of ALL their surroundings when they're driving. Oh for the day that driving with a high caliber weapon on the roof of your car is legal...... /after-work-rush-hour-rant
    07-23-2014 06:36 PM
    I was on the road again and saw something that is pretty common in my area (Dallas/Fort Worth), some jackhole was in the right lane, there were 3 cars ahead of him stopped at a stoplight I was in the left lane approaching the stoplight (the car ahead of me just made a left turn and there was no one in front of him). So this bonehead pulls out in front of me to get to the open spot in the left lane. When the light turns green what does he do? He goes SLOWER than the 3 cars that were ahead of him in the right lane. Those types of idiotic drivers need to be stripped of their driving privileges immediately.

Thus, I have no problem with any of these extra laws that force people to be mindful of traffic on the left lane. If anything, we need laws that force people to be mindful of ALL their surroundings when they're driving. Oh for the day that driving with a high caliber weapon on the roof of your car is legal...... /after-work-rush-hour-rant
    What I have in bold from your quote goes on alot around here.I don't know what people like this are thinking and why they switched lanes
    07-25-2014 12:28 PM
    What I have in bold from your quote goes on alot around here.I don't know what people like this are thinking and why they switched lanes
    Or the "pass and squat," where you're on a multi-lane road, they pass you and then get back in front of you, only to hit the brakes and go slower than you were before the pass. Also known to be used to cause a wreck and then sue the driver they just passed for rear ending them.
    07-25-2014 02:12 PM
    I think it's them thinking they somehow have to get ahead of you, and then once they're ahead of you, they forgot that they had to get ahead of you.

What about the driver that's on your left, you're the only other car in the right lane, they speed up faster than what they were driving so they can get ahead of you then come to a stop to make a right turn? Instead of letting you go past, then them getting behind you, and making their right hand turn. Like I said, I can't wait for Mad Max type road rules to take effect!
    07-25-2014 05:52 PM
    I drove down to GA for the first time last year and while it was a very pleasant trip, there were tons of people just tooling along in whatever lane they choose, at whatever speed they chose. The problem with drivers like that is that everyone else has to work around the scenics. Jams build up, tempers shorten and preventable accidents happens. This is why many states have some version of "drive right, pass left" laws and I'm thrilled to see GA is one of those states now.
    08-10-2014 12:07 AM
    I drove down to GA for the first time last year and while it was a very pleasant trip, there were tons of people just tooling along in whatever lane they choose, at whatever speed they chose. The problem with drivers like that is that everyone else has to work around the scenics. Jams build up, tempers shorten and preventable accidents happens. This is why many states have some version of "drive right, pass left" laws and I'm thrilled to see GA is one of those states now.
    People still drive whatever way they want, and people love to be on their phones around here while driving, I am sad to say I had a friend last weekend die from being on a phone while driving and ran into a tree.

Yesterday, I almost got into an accident because someone wouldn't let me pull out of the parking spot I was in even though I was 3/4 of the way out. Driving in Georgia is awful.
    08-10-2014 06:26 AM
    I am sad to say I had a friend last weekend die from being on a phone while driving and ran into a tree.
    That's terrible; I'm sorry to hear about that.
    A895 likes this.
    08-10-2014 06:49 AM
    That's terrible; I'm sorry to hear about that.
    Thanks. This is only helps reinforce my belief that driving here is awful.
    08-10-2014 06:56 AM
    No the left lane is the passing lane. No if and or buts. This law basically makes it enforceable. It is unsafe to keep forcing people to have to move to the right lane which yes is generally going slower.

aka if you are being passed on the right you are in the wrong. It does not matter what the speed is.
    Yes that means if you are cruising in the left lane at the speed limit and everyone else is going 5+ over you are in the wrong. Being a vigilantly is illegal.
    And if you are in that doing 15 over and someone rides your bumper to try to get you to move over? I say if they are in that much of a hurry and I'm already going 15 over then they can be the one to Prairie dog.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    10-01-2014 08:45 AM
    And if you are in that doing 15 over and someone rides your bumper to try to get you to move over? I say if they are in that much of a hurry and I'm already going 15 over then they can be the one to Prairie dog.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Same answer as before. You who refuse to move over are the one increasing the chances of a wreck happening and making things more unsafe.

Yes the other guy could slow down but you can not control him. You can control yourself and you refusing to move over increases the chances for the a wreck happening and you are also being very unsafe. Your current speed as compared to the speed limit does not matter. It is your speed compared to the guy coming up from behind. If he is going faster than you then you need to get out of the way.
    10-01-2014 02:56 PM
    Same answer as before. You who refuse to move over are the one increasing the chances of a wreck happening and making things more unsafe.

Yes the other guy could slow down but you can not control him. You can control yourself and you refusing to move over increases the chances for the a wreck happening and you are also being very unsafe. Your current speed as compared to the speed limit does not matter. It is your speed compared to the guy coming up from behind. If he is going faster than you then you need to get out of the way.
    But doesn't the guy speeding make it unsafe, if he wasn't speeding there would be no problem. I'm just rambling. But for real, can we curb the mount of people who speed?

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-01-2014 08:50 PM
    But doesn't the guy speeding make it unsafe, if he wasn't speeding there would be no problem. I'm just rambling. But for real, can we curb the mount of people who speed?

Posted via the Android Central App
    But as I pointed out that is irrelevant. You can not control the other person. By blocking you increase problems by causing road rage.
    Plus being a vigilantly is not legal nor safe.

10-01-2014 08:57 PM
136 12345 ...