11-18-2014 09:03 AM
136 ... 3456
tools
    In Georgia, if a motorist is driving at the speed limit and doesn't move over to allow others to pass, he or she is a law-breaker. Why are you putting a law-breaker above another law-breaker?
    People following the speed limit in the left lane weren't law breakers until these kinds of laws were put in place, which put people already violating a law above them. Also consider that people shouldn't be speeding in the first place that would now compel others to move over. It's the speeders triggering the issues all around. If they didn't speed, no one would be running up behind those in the left lane that's at the limit in the first place.
    A895 likes this.
    10-03-2014 02:08 PM
    But the fact is that people do speed and they have for a very long time. What you think they should or shouldn't do won't change that. As an aside, I doubt very much that you could tell me with a straight face that you've never exceeded the speed limit. The question then is how should you, as a law-abiding citizen, deal with the reality of people driving above the speed limit trying to pass you. The no-brainer answer is: 1) don't play vigilante cop; 2) don't be a traffic troll; and 3) don't impede the flow of traffic by creating a hazard in the left lane just to make a statement. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem, even if someone else started it.
    10-03-2014 02:23 PM
    People following the speed limit in the left lane weren't law breakers until these kinds of laws were put in place, which put people already violating a law above them. Also consider that people shouldn't be speeding in the first place that would now compel others to move over. It's the speeders triggering the issues all around. If they didn't speed, no one would be running up behind those in the left lane that's at the limit in the first place.
    as address multiple times before. All this law does is force people to follow basic drivers ed 101.

What part of the left lane is for passing only do you not understand?

It is really simple. If you are not currently passing another car you should not be in the left lane. End of story.
    10-03-2014 03:09 PM
    Actually in my state it is an HOV lane during times considered to be rush hour. Also if you do a little research you will find that if you are in the left lane going with the flow of traffic you are not obligated to move over for some [language] that wants to go significantly faster than traffic flow (not even in Georgia). So let the [language] zigzag in and out of lanes (Prairie Dog) and draw attention to themselves.

Also the [language] I am talking about cause road rage because they are [language] that think they are so important or entitled that they deserve to drive significantly faster than the flow of traffic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    You're causing congestion though AND making it dangerous for everyone else on the road. I can't understand why you think that playing Barney Fife traffic cop is better than letting these [language removed by moderator]go on through, get off the highway, and make it less congested on the road.

I think it's the same mental disease that has someone think they need to wait to the last minute to switch into an open lane, cutting off other people, just so they can go the same speed as the car they would've been behind. It's outright insanity. "I don't want anyone to pass me, I don't know why, but I feel like less of a person if someone passes me on the road!" You don't know if the person behind you is trying to take a loved one to a hospital or not, and you're not going to get them to stop and explain anything to you, so just MOVE OVER.

And finally, are you calling people that drive over the speed limit [language removed by moderator] or people that just drive faster than you are [language removed by moderator]? Because if you are driving over the speed limit at all, I have news for you, you're probably "that guy" for being arrogant enough to think that what you consider is a safe driving speed (not what the city/state has deemed safe) is what everyone else should consider a safe driving speed.
    10-03-2014 03:47 PM
    But the fact is that people do speed and they have for a very long time. What you think they should or shouldn't do won't change that. As an aside, I doubt very much that you could tell me with a straight face that you've never exceeded the speed limit. The question then is how should you, as a law-abiding citizen, deal with the reality of people driving above the speed limit trying to pass you. The no-brainer answer is: 1) don't play vigilante cop; 2) don't be a traffic troll; and 3) don't impede the flow of traffic by creating a hazard in the left lane just to make a statement. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem, even if someone else started it.
    Just because people have been doing something wrong for a long time doesn't make it right or put them above those that we're doing it right. When I was young and dumb, there were times when I was going faster than I should have. Did I get upset when I got behind someone going the speed limit? No. I knew what I was doing was wrong (even had it proven to me a couple times with an official state certificate), but was a risk I took.

As to how people should deal with speeders if they are already going the speed limit? They shouldn't. They are not the ones initiating the interaction. Regardless of which lane someone is in, the interaction between the person at the limit and a speeder is always initiated by the speeder breaking the law.

Here's a question I'd like answered by someone in an official position, like the person that wrote the law or LEO: Let's say you have a car in the left lane going the speed limit, and someone speeds behind them when a cop notices it. Who gets the ticket if the officer can't get both cars to stop? I'd hope it's the speeder. The other driver was driving within the other confines of the laws. The speeder is arguably the more dangerous one by driving beyond the limits of the road and traffic, posing a greater chance of an accident.
    A895 likes this.
    10-03-2014 03:54 PM
    The problem is that this is common on 4-8 lane highways in Atl where someone can go anywhere but has to speed in that lane right behind you. That is just being a jerk to speed behind someone when the person speeding can move into any lane before I can.

Posted via the Android Central App
    If you're doing the speed limit and the person behind you has a case of road rage, you didn't cause that. The the range is the fault of the other driver that can't control their temper when they encounter someone who is following the posted limits.
    I like how the argument is "everyone should be going the speed limit and no faster". Worst logic EVAAAAAAARRRR. How are people supposed to change lanes, enter and exit highways if everyone's going the same speed? Drivers in the Dallas/Fort Worth area generally drive 70 MPH. The posted speed limits are 65 MPH. Now if EVERYONE goes the same speed then the cars would start to cluster up and the chances of a major accident would rise. You need some variation in speed to safely keep the flow of traffic moving. But, unfortunately there's always some toolbag in the left lane that's causing congestion because they think they need to play traffic cop. I guess maybe it's time I educate some of you....Someone hit the lights....(no not the brake-lights cause brake-checking is also what toolbags do)...

10-03-2014 04:31 PM
    Just because people have been doing something wrong for a long time doesn't make it right or put them above those that we're doing it right. When I was young and dumb, there were times when I was going faster than I should have. Did I get upset when I got behind someone going the speed limit? No. I knew what I was doing was wrong (even had it proven to me a couple times with an official state certificate), but was a risk I took.

As to how people should deal with speeders if they are already going the speed limit? They shouldn't. They are not the ones initiating the interaction. Regardless of which lane someone is in, the interaction between the person at the limit and a speeder is always initiated by the speeder breaking the law.

Here's a question I'd like answered by someone in an official position, like the person that wrote the law or LEO: Let's say you have a car in the left lane going the speed limit, and someone speeds behind them when a cop notices it. Who gets the ticket if the officer can't get both cars to stop? I'd hope it's the speeder. The other driver was driving within the other confines of the laws. The speeder is arguably the more dangerous one by driving beyond the limits of the road and traffic, posing a greater chance of an accident.
    The common goal is for everyone to get to their destination safely and efficiently. You can't control speeders, no matter how indignant you may be. Sure, you might get them to slow down and ride up on your bumper and give you the finger, or you may make them pass you in a less safe manner in the right lane, but in the end all you are doing is working against the common goal.

Another consideration is why do you want to be in the left lane anyway if you are not passing people? It's not like you are prejudiced in any way by voluntarily driving in the right lane instead. Under the circumstances you described, you are just doing it to be antagonistic while hiding behind the cloak of "but they are breaking the law." Very passive-aggressive like the other poster mentioned.

As to your hypothetical, if someone is holding up traffic in the passing lane going at or under the speed limit, by definition the follower is not speeding. Thus, the ticket will be issued to you, I mean, the guy holding up traffic.
    10-03-2014 06:08 PM
    This thread shows me there are a lot of busybodies and armchair cops who think they have been put on this planet to control the behavior of others to fit their own moral code.

You don't know why the other person is speeding. It's neither your job nor your business to know why, let alone try to enforce the law.
    10-03-2014 06:37 PM
    As to your hypothetical, if someone is holding up traffic in the passing lane going at or under the speed limit, by definition the follower is not speeding. Thus, the ticket will be issued to you, I mean, the guy holding up traffic.
    And thus you have put the law breakers above the ones obeying the law by making new laws.

As to the passive aggressive type posts, I'm not one to advocate anything like that. I believe in staying right except to pass. My beef with these type laws is that they don't give exception for people already doing the speed limit in the left lane. If they did that (and I think some do), then it wouldn't be such a sticking point with me. Just like one could argue some emergency for the ones speeding, there's times where it's best to stay in the left lane longer than normal. I.e. if I'm coming up to an interchange and see someone about ready to get on the ramp for my side, I'll scoot over well in advance if it's currently clear so it's safer and easier for that driver to get onto the highway. Another common enough situation I've encountered is someone on the shoulder in front of me. I move over to give them room, but they pull back into traffic before I pass and it now looks like I was just lingering in the left lane. It's not always someone hanging out in the left lane just to agitate other drivers.
    A895 likes this.
    10-03-2014 07:10 PM
    You're causing congestion though AND making it dangerous for everyone else on the road. I can't understand why you think that playing Barney Fife traffic cop is better than letting these "a-holes" go on through, get off the highway, and make it less congested on the road.

I think it's the same mental disease that has someone think they need to wait to the last minute to switch into an open lane, cutting off other people, just so they can go the same speed as the car they would've been behind. It's outright insanity. "I don't want anyone to pass me, I don't know why, but I feel like less of a person if someone passes me on the road!" You don't know if the person behind you is trying to take a loved one to a hospital or not, and you're not going to get them to stop and explain anything to you, so just MOVE OVER.

And finally, are you calling people that drive over the speed limit "a-holes" or people that just drive faster than you are "a-holes"? Because if you are driving over the speed limit at all, I have news for you, you're probably "that guy" for being arrogant enough to think that what you consider is a safe driving speed (not what the city/state has deemed safe) is what everyone else should consider a safe driving speed.
    How am I causing congestion if I am going 15 over the posted speed limit and driving with the flow of traffic and I'm passing cars on the right except when a car in front prevents it? In that situation if someone comes up my backside and thinks they need to do 80 in a 55 zone and I am driving 70 or a bit more and driving with the traffic flow then yes they are an A-hole because they want to go faster than the flow. If I move over then they wind up still being slowed down by the car I was a safe distance behind (remember I was going with the flow of traffic) and then get on the bumper of the next car on line until they move over and so on and so on. Going by your logic nobody should be in the left lane except for the A-hole that wants to go 80 or more when the other drivers on the road are driving around 70. You guys keep talking about me being a passive aggressive Barney Fife which is making the wrong assumption that I am in the left lane doing 55 while everyone else is doing 70. Maybe you should have read all my posts and you would have already seen that I was saying that I am already going over the limit and driving with the flow of traffic.

A895 likes this.
    10-03-2014 09:28 PM
    I'm not going to read the entire 5 pages. I admit I'm late to the party here. One theme I see in the posts I read on pages 1 and 5 is that people feel someone going the speed limit is entirely justified being in the left lane, regardless of their reason for being there. As it relates to this new GA law, how often is it that someone going the speed limit has a need to pass someone? The arguments of "someone following the law shouldn't become a law-breaker because of their lane choice" are a bit light when that person following the law is the exception rather than the rule when it comes to how other traffic is flowing on the same road.

BTW, the N-S portion of the NY Thruway (I-87 between NY and Albany) is 2 lanes with signs all over that say "Keep right except to pass". They're white with black lettering. On my way home from vacation in July, some woman decided she deserved to be in the left lane even though there was nobody for her to pass but as she was going slower than other traffic, she should have been in the right lane.

The way I handle passing/driving on the highway - I'll go my speed (usually 5-10 over) in the middle or right lane. If I come up on traffic moving slower, I move left to pass if the lane is free, then back to the right when safe. If I'm in the left lane passing a vehicle, or several vehicles, and someone comes up behind me they'll just need to wait until I feel it's safe for me to change lanes and get out of their way. As long as someone is in the process of passing, I don't get pissed at them for "blocking" the left lane, but the ones I can't stand are the ones that blow by, you then pull out behind them to pass a vehicle and the one that blew by then slows down and "paces" the car you wanted to pass.
    10-03-2014 09:59 PM
    And thus you have put the law breakers above the ones obeying the law by making new laws.

As to the passive aggressive type posts, I'm not one to advocate anything like that. I believe in staying right except to pass. My beef with these type laws is that they don't give exception for people already doing the speed limit in the left lane. If they did that (and I think some do), then it wouldn't be such a sticking point with me. Just like one could argue some emergency for the ones speeding, there's times where it's best to stay in the left lane longer than normal. I.e. if I'm coming up to an interchange and see someone about ready to get on the ramp for my side, I'll scoot over well in advance if it's currently clear so it's safer and easier for that driver to get onto the highway. Another common enough situation I've encountered is someone on the shoulder in front of me. I move over to give them room, but they pull back into traffic before I pass and it now looks like I was just lingering in the left lane. It's not always someone hanging out in the left lane just to agitate other drivers.
    I haven't been in many areas where people drive at or below the speed limit so I'm not sure why you insist that driving in the left lane at the speed limit is such a noble thing. Driving with the flow of traffic regardless of the speed limit is probably safer than driving at the speed limit and driving at a different rate than the traffic around you. You being a truck driver, you should know this.

How am I causing congestion if I am going 15 over the posted speed limit and driving with the flow of traffic and I'm passing cars on the right except when a car in front prevents it? In that situation if someone comes up my backside and thinks they need to do 80 in a 55 zone and I am driving 70 or a bit more and driving with the traffic flow then yes they are an A-hole because they want to go faster than the flow. If I move over then they wind up still being slowed down by the car I was a safe distance behind (remember I was going with the flow of traffic) and then get on the bumper of the next car on line until they move over and so on and so on. Going by your logic nobody should be in the left lane except for the A-hole that wants to go 80 or more when the other drivers on the road are driving around 70. You guys keep talking about me being a passive aggressive Barney Fife which is making the wrong assumption that I am in the left lane doing 55 while everyone else is doing 70. Maybe you should have read all my posts and you would have already seen that I was saying that I am already going over the limit and driving with the flow of traffic.

If you can move over then you should move over. Even if the lunatic behind you is going 100 MPH. Let them trip any speed traps ahead, let them get a ticket. They've obviously decided that whatever the risk is of them going that fast is greater than the chance that they'll get pulled over and you trying to change that is only going to antagonize them and escalate an already dangerous situation. You can be the bigger person, move over, and leave them to their own fate. It's not as if the driver is going to think, "Maybe the guy ahead of me in the left lane has a point, I should drive at a safer speed, I'm so glad he took it upon himself to show me the err of my ways." The likely outcome is the guy is going to pass you on the right, and depending on how agitated he is already, you could be escalating the situation for you and all the other drivers around you.
    10-04-2014 12:40 AM
    This. Mooncatt you have been spot on.

10-04-2014 02:15 AM
    I'm not going to read the entire 5 pages. I admit I'm late to the party here. One theme I see in the posts I read on pages 1 and 5 is that people feel someone going the speed limit is entirely justified being in the left lane, regardless of their reason for being there. As it relates to this new GA law, how often is it that someone going the speed limit has a need to pass someone? The arguments of "someone following the law shouldn't become a law-breaker because of their lane choice" are a bit light when that person following the law is the exception rather than the rule when it comes to how other traffic is flowing on the same road.

BTW, the N-S portion of the NY Thruway (I-87 between NY and Albany) is 2 lanes with signs all over that say "Keep right except to pass". They're white with black lettering. On my way home from vacation in July, some woman decided she deserved to be in the left lane even though there was nobody for her to pass but as she was going slower than other traffic, she should have been in the right lane.

The way I handle passing/driving on the highway - I'll go my speed (usually 5-10 over) in the middle or right lane. If I come up on traffic moving slower, I move left to pass if the lane is free, then back to the right when safe. If I'm in the left lane passing a vehicle, or several vehicles, and someone comes up behind me they'll just need to wait until I feel it's safe for me to change lanes and get out of their way. As long as someone is in the process of passing, I don't get pissed at them for "blocking" the left lane, but the ones I can't stand are the ones that blow by, you then pull out behind them to pass a vehicle and the one that blew by then slows down and "paces" the car you wanted to pass.
    Except in GA there are no signs saying "keep right, except to pass". I live here and drove from Douglasville to the SC/GA border. The main issue here is a lot of people here assume that by law the left lane is passing in GA roads when that is not the case. The issue is that so many people are speeding on roads that the "Slowpoke" law was created to let those speeders run the road, SK now those who want to go at the actual speed limit get ticketed or forced to go faster.

10-04-2014 02:22 AM
    Driving with the flow of traffic regardless of the speed limit is probably safer than driving at the speed limit and driving at a different rate than the traffic around you. You being a truck driver, you should know this.
    I've heard that claim before. While it may technically be true, I question if it's statistically significant. In my nearly ten years on the road, I've only heard of a speed differential related crash a few times and those were due to an inattentive driver. Many large companies are governed between 60-65 mph (I'm at 65), even when driving in states with 70+ mph speed limits. If driving slower were that dangerous, there would be a rash of rear end collisions on open roads all over the country. That's just not the case.
    A895 likes this.
    10-04-2014 08:46 AM
    I've heard that claim before. While it may technically be true, I question if it's statistically significant. In my nearly ten years on the road, I've only heard of a speed differential related crash a few times and those were due to an inattentive driver. Many large companies are governed between 60-65 mph (I'm at 65), even when driving in states with 70+ mph speed limits. If driving slower were that dangerous, there would be a rash of rear end collisions on open roads all over the country. That's just not the case.
    So what you're saying is that there are more crashes that involve people side swiping each other? Do you suppose it might have something to do with someone driving the same rate as the car next to them unaware that someone's hugging their blind spot? Do you think those crashes could be avoided if people would move right if they weren't passing?
    10-04-2014 11:19 AM

Addressed before. You are not a cop and sing a vigilantly is illegal.

Also never answered is what part of the left lane is for passing only do you not understand?

If you are not currently passing a car you should not be in the left lane. No if ands or buts. If you and others understood that basic concept this would not be an issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Feldon likes this.
    10-05-2014 11:32 AM

Simple solution if you are not passing do not be in the left lane. Cruising in the left lane should be a ticket.

The simple fact is you are failing to understand drivers ed 101. The issue with giving am exemption to people going to speed limit refusing to move over they are a direct cause of road rage. And causing issue playing vigilantly. Plus does not handle people speedos have a error in them. Also might like to point out most states speeding does not directly tie to the speed limit but instead go by the 85% rule. If you are going faster then 85% of traffic you are speeding.

Feldon likes this.
    10-05-2014 11:37 AM
    What about crashes from side switch from changing lanes?
    The flow of traffic reduces traffic jams. It keeps slower traffic out of the way and you know the left will be for passing.
    You claim 10 years on the road but ignore drivers ed 101 which is slower traffic keep to the right and out of the way.
    Instead you support the passive aggressive road rage inducing action of blocking faster traffic in the left lane. You and I both know that road rage is a problem. Why do you support actions that increase road rage?

10-05-2014 11:56 AM
    Also never answered is what part of the left lane is for passing only do you not understand?
    Asked and answered already:
    If you're going below the limit, move over. If you're at the limit, you shouldn't be compelled to move over. What part of not putting law breakers above those following the law do you not understand?
    Also might like to point out most states speeding does not directly tie to the speed limit but instead go by the 85% rule. If you are going faster then 85% of traffic you are speeding.
    Incorrect. The 85% rule is just a guideline for setting a speed limit in the first place, along with other factors such as road design and local/state considerations. Driving over the posted limit is speeding, regardless of what traffic is doing.

http://onlinemanuals.txdot.gov/txdot...tile_speed.htm
    A895 likes this.
    10-05-2014 12:40 PM
    Addressed before. You are not a cop and sing a vigilantly is illegal...

If you are not currently passing a car you should not be in the left lane. No if ands or buts. If you and others understood that basic concept this would not be an issue.
    Also already asked and answered:
    A895 and Timelessblur like this.
    10-05-2014 12:45 PM
    Asked and answered already]
    And your answer is clearly a failure to understand left lane is for passing only.

It is really simple.
    If you are not currently passing a car you should not be in the left lane.

So yeah your address part is a failure to understand left lane is for passing only.
    Translation do not cruise in the left lane.
    Your counter is also the road rage causing one.

Feldon likes this.
    10-05-2014 12:50 PM
    Also already asked and answered:
    And those counters are not ones this law addresses as those are valid reason for being in the left lane. This kills the cruising in left lane. As for who to pull over I would vote the cruising one if only one can be chosen as they are the one causing road rage. They are the one hurting the flow of traffic.

10-05-2014 12:52 PM
    And your answer is clearly a failure to understand left lane is for passing only.

It is really simple.
    If you are not currently passing a car you should not be in the left lane.

So yeah your address part is a failure to understand left lane is for passing only.
    Translation do not cruise in the left lane.
    Your counter is also the road rage causing one.

Here is the thing, if the left lane is only for passing, what about those speeders who are just in the left lane just to go over the speed limit? Is this not an abuse of the left lane is for passing rule?
    10-05-2014 01:19 PM
    Here is the thing, if the left lane is only for passing, what about those speeders who are just in the left lane just to go over the speed limit? Is this not an abuse of the left lane is for passing rule?
    So addressed multiple times before the speed limit is irrelevant. Also covered under the left lane is for passing only. If you are not passing a car you so it belong in the left lane.

What part of that do you not understand?

10-05-2014 01:20 PM
136 ... 3456