12-02-2014 08:42 PM
662 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    Something we got away from many years ago to save cost was two patrolmen in a car. I wonder if this incident would of even happened if there was two patrolmen in the car?
    10-26-2014 04:26 PM
    He does need to be charged, I don't care who it is, killing someone should be the LAST resort. Do cops not have tazers, batons, police training, anything? All he had on him was a gun? That is what does not sit right with me, people keep trying to justify murder, when killing anyone should be the last thing you do, not the first.
    I don't think they have tazers. I did read that tazer sales and stock have went way up after Furguson. So some departments are learning something from the Furguson incident.
    10-26-2014 04:52 PM
    I don't think they have tazers. I did read that tazer sales and stock have went way up after Furguson. So some departments are learning something from the Furguson incident.
    I hope they are, extreme and leygal force is last resort, especially when the person is unarmed. If I am a cop and I am facing bodily harm from someone unarmed I would get a chokehold going, hit them with a baton, or if I could hut then with a tazer. Hell, a punch would do something.

But a gun? That isn't my first instinct, and I know for sure, they weren't taught to shoot first. At least I hope they weren't.

Posted via the Android Central App
    palandri likes this.
    10-26-2014 09:57 PM
    I hope they are, extreme and leygal force is last resort, especially when the person is unarmed. If I am a cop and I am facing bodily harm from someone unarmed I would get a chokehold going, hit them with a baton, or if I could hut then with a tazer. Hell, a punch would do something.

But a gun? That isn't my first instinct, and I know for sure, they weren't taught to shoot first. At least I hope they weren't.

I agree. The use of lethal force should only be used as a last resort. Like I said, I wonder if this incident would have happened if there were 2 patrol officers in the car?

Then again, there's a lot of other issues that Furguson needs to work on, like the total disconnect between the community and the police. Also the issue of approach. Did Wilson really tell the guys to get the F out of the road? If he did, that's an issue. If you come on to someone aggressively, you more than likely will get an aggressive response.

Another issue I was thinking about was, what's the most measurable thing a cop does? Number of arrest? tickets? Who gets promoted, the officer that has and promotes good community relations or the officer that has the most arrest? Which issue is more important? Their motto is to protect are serve, who does it better, the officer with the most arrest or the officer who has and promotes good community relations?
    A895 likes this.
    10-27-2014 09:48 AM
    I agree. The use of lethal force should only be used as a last resort. Like I said, I wonder if this incident would have happened if there were 2 patrol officers in the car?

Then again, there's a lot of other issues that Furguson needs to work on, like the total disconnect between the community and the police. Also the issue of approach. Did Wilson really tell the guys to get the F out of the road? If he did, that's an issue. If you come on to someone aggressively, you more than likely will get an aggressive response.

Another issue I was thinking about was, what's the most measurable thing a cop does? Number of arrest? tickets? Who gets promoted, the officer that has and promotes good community relations or the officer that has the most arrest? Which issue is more important? Their motto is to protect are serve, who does it better, the officer with the most arrest or the officer who has and promotes good community relations?
    This is why when people bring up race in Ferguson I stop reading or listening. It is about how the cops in Ferguson are so disjointed from the community they serve. There are areas where cops are more involved in the community, and Ferguson is an area where the community and cops need to have that discussion on how to have better communication.

Where I am now, on campus at college, because the police on campus are so open and readily available we have very little issues on campus between police and students.

That is something Ferguson PD needs to work on. And not only Ferguson this is an issue with other police departments throughout the United States.

palandri likes this.
    10-27-2014 11:59 AM
    11-10-2014 06:48 PM
    From that article:
    Hansford said he helped the Brown family get an audience by submitting*a paper*earlier this fall. He said he hopes the committee helps encourage authorities to take a less militarized approach in their response to future unrest. “The world community will look at it through a human rights lens this time,” he said.
    Or, you know, they could also encourage protesters not to get violent and break laws that require police escalation in the first place. :rolleyes:
    NoYankees44 likes this.
    11-10-2014 09:35 PM
    From that article:

Or, you know, they could also encourage protesters not to get violent and break laws that require police escalation in the first place. :rolleyes:
    So I guess you're ok with the trampling of the First Amendment then? Because that's what the Ferguson police were doing. They were arresting people that were peacefully assembling. They told protesters that if they didn't move that they were being arrested. So since you're ok with striking down First Amendment rights, should we go ahead and address the Second Amendment?
    A895 and Scott7217 like this.
    11-10-2014 10:04 PM
    So I guess you're ok with the trampling of the First Amendment then? Because that's what the Ferguson police were doing. They were arresting people that were peacefully assembling. They told protesters that if they didn't move that they were being arrested. So since you're ok with striking down First Amendment rights, should we go ahead and address the Second Amendment?
    Where in my post about the ones breaking laws and getting violent in their protests did I say anything about the First Amendment being trampled on?
    11-10-2014 10:18 PM
    Where in my post about the ones breaking laws and getting violent in their protests did I say anything about the First Amendment being trampled on?
    So it's your assumption that all the protesters that were arrested and were shown "getting violent" were just the ones that were breaking laws? Aside from the police not allowing them to peacefully assemble? You don't think that the Ferguson police escalated the situation by violating peoples' first amendment rights? I can see it escalate when people are getting arrested by police overreach. Young confused people that are full of emotion are going to act out if they see people that they look up with being arrested. I guess I should know better than to try to explain something to someone that's already formed an opinion about an entire race of people......
    A895 likes this.
    11-10-2014 10:45 PM
    I guess I should know better than to try to explain something to someone that's already formed an opinion about an entire race of people......
    Wow, just Wow...
    11-11-2014 07:36 AM
    I guess I should know better than to try to explain something to someone that's already formed an opinion about an entire race of people......
    Insinuating I'm racist when I've said nothing close to that only makes you out to be one. My views are the same no matter who's involved.
    11-11-2014 08:46 AM
    From that article:

The violence is sad, but the state police approach seemed to quell most of it.

I hope taking the issue to the UN will put people on notice that the world is watching.
    A895 likes this.
    11-11-2014 09:06 AM
    Anything said that isn't empathetic in his eyes pegs you a racist. If Michael Brown was Michelle Brown you'd be a racist and sexist. If he/she practiced Islam you'd be a racist, sexist, Islamaphobe. Isn't is nice to have good honest discourse?!? Careful, he's gonna wonder where your white hood is next.
    11-11-2014 10:56 AM
    Insinuating I'm racist when I've said nothing close to that only makes you out to be one. My views are the same no matter who's involved.
    You lumped all the violent protesters in with the ones that were PEACEFULLY ASSEMBLING. What part of the definition am I getting wrong?

rac·ism/ˈrāˌsizəm/
    noun

the belief that ALL members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as INFERIOR or superior to another race or races.
    You're automatically assuming that the mischievous element and the protesting element are one in the same. Like I said, some people just see what they want to see and make generalizations because that's all they want to see.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    11-11-2014 12:42 PM
    You lumped all the violent protesters in with the ones that were PEACEFULLY ASSEMBLING. What part of the definition am I getting wrong?
    No i didn't. But when you have a violent element in the protests, police have no choice but to escalate tactics all around because there's telling where the next violent outburst will come from.
    11-11-2014 01:18 PM
    No i didn't. But when you have a violent element in the protests, police have no choice but to escalate tactics all around because there's telling where the next violent outburst will come from.
    So if you're willing to suspend someone's 1st amendment rights, for the reasons you cite, are you also willing to suspend others' 2nd amendment rights for gun violence?
    A895 likes this.
    11-11-2014 05:58 PM
    Here is a not terribly bias summary from CNN. It is much better than their usual vomit. They actually mention that there are laws that could possibly justify the officer's actions:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/13/justic...n-up-to-speed/

Sent from my XT1096
    palandri and Scott7217 like this.
    11-14-2014 01:02 PM
    Here is a not terribly bias summary from CNN. It is much better than their usual vomit. They actually mention that there are laws that could possibly justify the officer's actions:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/13/justic...n-up-to-speed/

Sent from my XT1096
    They also explicitly state there are conflicting accounts. The autopsy, and the officers account does not add up. At least six shots in him?! 2 in the head?! That's insane!
    11-14-2014 06:18 PM
    They also explicitly state there are conflicting accounts. The autopsy, and the officers account does not add up. At least six shots in him?! 2 in the head?! That's insane!
    I'll agree with this. If you want to ignore the history of police aggression in this town and it's racist basis then enjoy your bubble. But, I think at the very least we can agree this guy does not have the fortitude required of the job.
    A895 likes this.
    11-14-2014 06:31 PM
    My local ABC station reported that there is surveillance video of the cop heading to the station AFTER his altercation with Brown and there is NO OBVIOUS sign of him being injured (eye-socket injury claim). Then they cut to one of the officers being interviewed stating that the guy's head was "swollen". I would have no problem with this city's entire police department being dismantled if there is a cover up.

Here is my question for the people that think he shouldn't be prosecuted, should he be reinstated? Should he be allowed to be a police officer anywhere in this country? One of the troubling statistics in our country's law enforcement is how many officers that are relieved of their duty for breaking a law are allowed to go back into law enforcement in another city/state. There needs to be a national registry that cities can utilize that will tell them if they're hiring another police department's former liability.
    A895 likes this.
    11-15-2014 11:55 AM
    It does say that Brown's thumb was shot at close range, indicating that there was an struggle for the gun. There is also supposedly blood inside the car.

What happened after the gun struggle is the question. The shots that went downwards through the top of his head and the fact that none of the shots were into his back brings a lot of questions. It is clear whoever said he was gunned down running away was lying. Who else is lying or telling the truth? People of this community expect brutality. Did that sway any testimonials or did the officer live up to the stereotype?

If you don't like the legality of his actions, then lobby to change the laws. But if this officer acted within the limits of the law, then he should go free regardless of how everyone feels about his actions.

I think everyone should rethink the use of lethal force by law enforcement. But that is a completely separate conversation from this case. Read the laws. Look at the evidence. Ask yourself if what this officer did was legal. THEN worry about whether the laws are just or not. If you want to punish this officer for what is perfectly legal, then you also must not believe in the rule of law.

Sent from my XT1096
    11-15-2014 01:16 PM
    It does say that Brown's thumb was shot at close range, indicating that there was an struggle for the gun. There is also supposedly blood inside the car.

What happened after the gun struggle is the question. The shots that went downwards through the top of his head and the fact that none of the shots were into his back brings a lot of questions. It is clear whoever said he was gunned down running away was lying. Who else is lying or telling the truth? People of this community expect brutality. Did that sway any testimonials or did the officer live up to the stereotype?

If you don't like the legality of his actions, then lobby to change the laws. But if this officer acted within the limits of the law, then he should go free regardless of how everyone feels about his actions.

I think everyone should rethink the use of lethal force by law enforcement. But that is a completely separate conversation from this case. Read the laws. Look at the evidence. Ask yourself if what this officer did was legal. THEN worry about whether the laws are just or not. If you want to punish this officer for what is perfectly legal, then you also must not believe in the rule of law.

Sent from my XT1096
    The officer didn't do anything legal. Where is the law stating you shoot someone 6 times, with 2 in the head for good measure?
    11-15-2014 01:31 PM
    The officer didn't do anything legal. Where is the law stating you shoot someone 6 times, with 2 in the head for good measure?
    I do not know their local laws specifically, but most states allow the use of lethal force if you fear for your life or the life of others, as well as special clauses for law enforcement. As long as a jury believes that the officer felt his life was threatened and did not use excessive force after the the threat was neutralized, he will be protected by law.

Whether or not he is protected by the local laws is up to the jury's interpretation of them.

I personally would fear for much more than my life if someone was stupid enough to try and get a cop's gun inside the car. I would expect that person to be on heavy drugs or just flat be crazy.

Sent from my XT1096
    11-15-2014 01:47 PM
    I do not know their local laws specifically, but most states allow the use of lethal force if you fear for your life or the life of others, as well as special clauses for law enforcement. As long as a jury believes that the officer felt his life was threatened and did not use excessive force after the the threat was neutralized, he will be protected by law.

Whether or not he is protected by the local laws is up to the jury's interpretation of them.

I personally would fear for much more than my life if someone was stupid enough to try and get a cop's gun inside the car. I would expect that person to be on heavy drugs or just flat be crazy.

Sent from my XT1096
    I don't think any lethal law covers multiple gunshots to the from of the body. That is why this case does not add up. Of all things nothing justifies shooting someone multiple times.

That seems like intent to murder to me.
    11-15-2014 04:47 PM
662 ... 1213141516 ...