12-02-2014 08:42 PM
662 ... 1415161718 ...
tools
    11-15-2014 07:48 PM
    It's hard to tell anything from that photo.
    11-16-2014 07:57 PM
    Interesting article on the use of force: Seattle officers appeal dismissal of use-of-force restrictions lawsuit | Al Jazeera America

....In the official complaint, officers said the reformed use of force policies "unreasonable restrict and burden plaintiffs' right to use force reasonably required, to protect themselves and others, from apparent harm and danger ..
    11-16-2014 08:00 PM
    It's hard to tell anything from that photo.
    Unless you hear the other officers claim that his "face was swollen". He doesn't look like someone that just had a life-threatening scenario that caused him to use lethal force.
    A895 and palandri like this.
    11-16-2014 08:55 PM
    Unless you hear the other officers claim that his "face was swollen". He doesn't look like someone that just had a life-threatening scenario that caused him to use lethal force.
    Then you can see things that I can't see.
    11-16-2014 10:03 PM
    Then you can see things that I can't see.
    I just don't see the injuries that some of the representatives of FPD were talking about.
    palandri and A895 like this.
    11-16-2014 10:38 PM
    It appears they're going to wait till near the weekend to let everyone know what the jury has decided. Sounds like the same tactics an employer uses right before they fire someone.

I'd personally like to see the demographics of the jury pool. Something tells me that it probably doesn't have the same makeup of the community that was served.

Based on the limited information that I've seen, he should at least be tried for manslaughter, but I've seen the justice system fail before and I suspect it's going to fail again in this instance.
    11-20-2014 05:13 PM
    It appears they're going to wait till near the weekend to let everyone know what the jury has decided. Sounds like the same tactics an employer uses right before they fire someone.

I'd personally like to see the demographics of the jury pool. Something tells me that it probably doesn't have the same makeup of the community that was served.

Based on the limited information that I've seen, he should at least be tried for manslaughter, but I've seen the justice system fail before and I suspect it's going to fail again in this instance.
    Does it make much difference which day they make the announcement?

Juries are mostly made up of people who can't think of a good excuse to get out of jury duty.

What should we do if the justice system fails?
    11-20-2014 06:26 PM
    Does it make much difference which day they make the announcement?
    If there are already FBI warnings about the jury's decision, then why hasn't it been made public? Seems like a decision has already been made.

Juries are mostly made up of people who can't think of a good excuse to get out of jury duty.
    Or people that are poor and can't afford to miss a day's work or don't get compensated for participating.

What should we do if the justice system fails?
    Fails? You use the future-tense of the word but I think it's too late. Look at how many people we've killed via the death penalty that later proved to be innocent via DNA evidence. Do you dare tell their surviving family that the justice system hasn't failed?

Do you mean "What should we do if the justice system fails more than just the poor or minorities"? I personally think the Justice system has been rigged to favor the rich more than it was rigged to fail minorities.
    11-20-2014 08:41 PM
    If there are already FBI warnings about the jury's decision, then why hasn't it been made public? Seems like a decision has already been made.
    It will be good if the decision comes closer to the weekend so that more people can participate in the protests, if needed.
    11-21-2014 04:13 PM
    It will be good if the decision comes closer to the weekend so that more people can participate in the protests, if needed.
    And so everyone else can bar their doors and hide without missing work... Praying that the "protesters" won't burn their house.

Sent from my XT1096
    11-21-2014 04:35 PM
    I still find it kind of interesting that they waited close to Thanksgiving, it's as if they were trying to grasp for some sort of distraction. I am curious to see how Black Friday is going to pan out in that area if the verdict plays out the way everyone is predicting. I'm betting it's going to be even more contentious with that tension already in the air.
    11-21-2014 05:34 PM
    Fails? You use the future-tense of the word but I think it's too late. Look at how many people we've killed via the death penalty that later proved to be innocent via DNA evidence. Do you dare tell their surviving family that the justice system hasn't failed?
    I'm not sure if justice can ever be perfect. A system that relies on human judgment is prone to human error and human failings. Perhaps the best we can do is constantly improve it.

The scenario of having an innocent person executed is a tragedy. No one should have to go through anything like that. I feel that this quote from Hillary Clinton is relevant:

"What difference at this point does it make? It is our job to figure out what happened and do everything we can to prevent it from ever happening again, Senator."
    11-22-2014 05:11 PM
    I'm not sure if justice can ever be perfect. A system that relies on human judgment is prone to human error and human failings. Perhaps the best we can do is constantly improve it.

The scenario of having an innocent person executed is a tragedy. No one should have to go through anything like that. I feel that this quote from Hillary Clinton is relevant:

"What difference at this point does it make? It is our job to figure out what happened and do everything we can to prevent it from ever happening again, Senator."
    Different scenario completely, but good attempt at muck raking for the sake of bringing in some more Benghazi fodder. The sad part is our government rarely does a "post mortem" (for lack of a better word) on what happened and how to prevent the same things from happening in the future. It's as if there's no accountability as long as campaign contributors get their money in the end.
    A895 and GadgetGator like this.
    11-22-2014 06:57 PM
    Different scenario completely, but good attempt at muck raking for the sake of bringing in some more Benghazi fodder. The sad part is our government rarely does a "post mortem" (for lack of a better word) on what happened and how to prevent the same things from happening in the future. It's as if there's no accountability as long as campaign contributors get their money in the end.
    To be fair, muck raking has a prestigious record of exposing corruption, waste, fraud, and injustice throughout history, leading to positive reforms in society. In any case, the important thing is that you agree with Hillary Clinton's sentiment.

We can always impose a moratorium on capital punishment. The US has done it before when there were questions about the fair application of the death penalty.

As a side effect, if a jury were to convict Officer Darren Wilson of murder for the shooting death of Michael Brown, the maximum penalty would be life in prison (if a moratorium were in place).
    11-23-2014 05:53 PM
    I just read somewhere that the jury pool is 3 black and 9 white. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Kind of funny how the police department has a disproportionate ratio just like the jury pool.... I'm guessing I know how this will turn out, unless there is some compelling evidence.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    11-24-2014 01:23 PM
    I just read somewhere that the jury pool is 3 black and 9 white. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
    In most grand juries, the only lawyer present is the prosecutor. Officer Darren Wilson probably doesn't have a lawyer defending him during the grand jury proceedings. So those reasons would probably explain the composition of the jury pool.
    11-24-2014 04:50 PM
    In most grand juries, the only lawyer present is the prosecutor. Officer Darren Wilson probably doesn't have a lawyer defending him during the grand jury proceedings. So those reasons would probably explain the composition of the jury pool.
    True, there is no defense in a grand jury, it's all prosecution. It's very lopsided, but they aren't judging guilt or innocence. Only if a case should be brought to trial. That's why there's a joke that you can get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    11-24-2014 08:06 PM
    I think the term you're looking for is "stacking the deck"......
    Scott7217 likes this.
    11-24-2014 08:12 PM
    I think the term you're looking for is "stacking the deck"......
    When prosecutors want to indict someone, the easiest way is to use a grand jury. There are other methods, but the chance of success is lower.
    11-24-2014 08:29 PM
    Well the announcement is out, no indictment on any charges.

I'm honestly a little surprised, but then again the public doesn't know all the evidence. The prosecutor did say they would release the evidence to the public, so I'm sure that will be analyzed in due time.
    11-24-2014 08:37 PM
    It's very lopsided, but they aren't judging guilt or innocence. Only if a case should be brought to trial.
    If you ever watch the movie, My Cousin Vinny, Joe Pesci's character doesn't fight to throw out the murder charges so that a trial can begin right away. He tells his clients: "You killed a good ol' boy. There is no way this is not going to trial!"

Looking back, it would have been nice to get an indictment and have this go to trial. Michael Brown's family wants it. The people of Ferguson want it, too.

There are other reasons to hold a trial that may be less than noble. The 24-hour news channels want it so that they can run constant coverage and charge more for their commercials. The style channels want it so they can talk about the latest fashion that the attorneys are wearing. The late-night comedians want it because they want to crack jokes about the judge.

At this point, maybe the Brown family will just initiate a civil suit in court.
    11-24-2014 09:04 PM
    No indictment. Expect Riots in the streets across communities evrywhere. And it is all because of people giving false witness testimonies. Don't go off of what you heard, you have say what you saw, and if you didn't see anything, keep it moving.

Posted via Razr M on the Android Central App
    Scott7217 likes this.
    11-24-2014 09:22 PM
    If you ever watch the movie, My Cousin Vinny, Joe Pesci's character doesn't fight to throw out the murder charges so that a trial can begin right away. He tells his clients: "You killed a good ol' boy. There is no way this is not going to trial!"

Looking back, it would have been nice to get an indictment and have this go to trial. Michael Brown's family wants it. The people of Ferguson want it, too.

There are other reasons to hold a trial that may be less than noble. The 24-hour news channels want it so that they can run constant coverage and charge more for their commercials. The style channels want it so they can talk about the latest fashion that the attorneys are wearing. The late-night comedians want it because they want to crack jokes about the judge.

At this point, maybe the Brown family will just initiate a civil suit in court.
    They should.

Posted via Razr M on the Android Central App
    Scott7217 likes this.
    11-24-2014 09:22 PM
    Well the announcement is out, no indictment on any charges.

I'm honestly a little surprised, but then again the public doesn't know all the evidence. The prosecutor did say they would release the evidence to the public, so I'm sure that will be analyzed in due time.
    I heard they WEREN'T going to release it.
    11-24-2014 09:28 PM
662 ... 1415161718 ...