12-02-2014 08:42 PM
662 ... 2122232425 ...
tools
    Somehow it all comes back to this for some people. I would never suggest that we forget the horrible past of this nation or try to gloss over the atrocities that were committed against groups of people, but we must find some way to get past all of that for the sake of future generations. There is no one alive today that lived as a slave. There is not a single person alive that bought or sold a slave. Every day that passes we are further from a past that only lives in books and stories that have been passed down, yet some people feel that the wounds of the past must be reopened and kept fresh instead of allowing them to scab over and heal as all injuries must.

We also need to realize that racism isn't exclusive to white people. I am white and have been the victim of racism on many occasions. With my job, I spend a lot of time in black neighborhoods. I have been insulted by customers, their children, and their neighbors, for nothing more than the color of my skin. I've been told that I had better be done and gone before it gets dark or there might be trouble.
    Maybe because people can't get past their families (only a couple generations ago) were slaves, and or sergrgated against. Imagine being in the south, knowing you have had family members lynched in the past based on their race alone.

There will be without a doubt a distrust of white people in.minority communities, because when you get to the heart of it, white people in history have been very, let's say not nice, to other races. But now when minorities distrust or don't like whites we are seen as the bad ones.

It isn't fun being discriminated against is it? Imagine feeling most of your life as a minority, being discriminated against and facing racism as a fact of life.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-27-2014 11:36 AM
    I didn't say that blacks were running through the streets killing whites. I was using the Jews as an example of a people who are, by nature, very tolerant.
    That so because they didn't have a system of intolerance placed on their entire race in their own home country. And this is a good source for the number of Africans that dies during the space trade:

http://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanti...ade#Human_toll

Hint: it is over 8 million who died in capture, in transit, and then shorty after landing in the America's.

You are stereotyping people yourself. "Jewish communities are pretty well off" is exactly what most people think. I've lived long enough to say that for every rich Jew that you show me, i'll show you five that are middle to lower middle income.
    Middle to lower income? Lol, try being on food stamps as the only way to eat.

Living in the projects must have been rough(my wife came from the projects in Queens, n.y.), but that shouldn't stop anyone from trying to get ahead by learning what is taught in school. If the environment that you live in is bad, then get a good education and do something with it. Go back and clean up the hood.
    It does not work like that, as I said the environment itself does not let people pursue an education.

Kick out the dealers, get people into rehab, build playgrounds for the kids, and most of all, get the fathers back into the homes.
    You can't make anyone be a parent. I lived my life without a father, while it sucks that is the fact, a father is not paramount if you have a good mother. Sometimes people can't depend on their parents at all. It happens. It is not.limited to just fathers. As I said before the environment is toxic and it is nothing like anyone can imagine unless you grew up in it.

Children need a father in their lives, not one that they have to visit in prison just to see. Wasn't that part of M.L.K's "dream". Who's trying to fulfill that dream now, Crips and Bloods?
    Now that is a stereotype. But if you were knowledgeable on the subject you would.know the justice system has been discriminating against Blacks for a long time.

11-27-2014 11:47 AM
    Blacks aren't running through the streets killing whites either.
    No, they are running through the streets killing other black people. Doesn't make much sense to me.

I don't believe that seeing as a lot of Jewish communities are pretty well off, United States have multiple times been accused of promoting Zionism because the U.S. is so pro Judaism and supporting Israel.
    Jews have long been the target of racism. Most white racists (I feel I must say WHITE racists because there are racists of every color) are prejudiced against all others. Or, do you think that blacks are the only victims of this? We don't hear about it as much with Jews because they have taken advantage of what they had and built a better future for themselves.

The oppurtonities are very out reach for a large amount of minorities. Can you even imagine growing up in the projects? Because I grew up in them, and have not seen what I have seen and there is a lot that happens between being born in the hood to becoming 18, a bad environment being the most prominent influence for choices.
    Explain then how so many people being born in the same situation have gone on to make so much more of themselves. You talk about being born in the projects and ignore the countless that were born as slaves and went on to become doctors, lawyers, even politicians. Our history books are filled with examples of people that came from worse places than "the hood" and went on to do great things. It's not about what you were born with, it's how you used what you had.

I know personally, so many people who dropped out of school. The school does not care if you drop out. Bad education system to support students who do try in school, combined with a bad home environment leads to low graduation rates and unemployment.
    These are just excuses for those that refuse to put forth the effort. Very few of us have been handed an easy life and some have to work harder than others to get what they want out of it. Every time you hear a story of triumph, it is also a story of sacrifice.

If people really cared they would want the hoods and projects cleaned up, less crime, less influences to take people out of school and pursuing an education.
    If people really cared, they would refuse to live in those crapholes. Why should anyone from the outside want to come in and clean up an area that was destroyed by the people that live in it? When the projects were built, they were new and clean. It was the residents that painted on the walls and broke the windows. It was the residents that threw their cooking grease out the back doors killing the grass and blackening the soil. It's the residents that allow the drug dealers and pimps to walk the streets. It is the residents that allow the noise pollution of loud cars and loud drunks on their streets. The reason you don't see it in other places is that other people would not allow it.
    11-27-2014 11:50 AM
    No, they are running through the streets killing other black people. Doesn't make much sense to me.
    And white people kill white people, what's your point?

Jews have long been the target of racism. Most white racists (I feel I must say WHITE racists because there are racists of every color) are prejudiced against all others. Or, do you think that blacks are the only victims of this? We don't hear about it as much with Jews because they have taken advantage of what they had and built a better future for themselves.
    The thing is blacks didn't have anything built, they just ended slavery and said you are free, did you know most free slaves, ended up back working for their old masters because they couldn't do anything? It took years before blacks could hold a decent job, and even then we had black codes, segregation laws, lynching, KKK, etc.

Explain then how so many people being born in the same situation have gone on to make so much more of themselves. You talk about being born in the projects and ignore the countless that were born as slaves and went on to become doctors, lawyers, even politicians. Our history books are filled with examples of people that came from worse places than "the hood" and went on to do great things. It's not about what you were born with, it's how you used what you had.
    You have to understand those people who did those things got opportunities that not everyone in the hood can get. For every 1 black man that becomes a doctor, I can show you 100 others who couldn't get that same opportunity. You think black people choose to want to live in poverty?

These are just excuses for those that refuse to put forth the effort. Very few of us have been handed an easy life and some have to work harder than others to get what they want out of it. Every time you hear a story of triumph, it is also a story of sacrifice.
    If you see an entire race not being able to get out of cycle of poverty and craziness, do we sit back and say "well they chose to sit on their *** and be poor,, they better get their stuff together". Because that is exactly what you are saying. It is easy to say these things from where some are sitting, but if you lived that life, not everything is clear cut as going to school and staying in school.

If people really cared, they would refuse to live in those crapholes. Why should anyone from the outside want to come in and clean up an area that was destroyed by the people that live in it?
    How can you say such a thing? Outside help IS exactly what these areas need, because obviously sitting back and judging people for their environment is not helping.

When the projects were built, they were new and clean. It was the residents that painted on the walls and broke the windows. It was the residents that threw their cooking grease out the back doors killing the grass and blackening the soil. It's the residents that allow the drug dealers and pimps to walk the streets. It is the residents that allow the noise pollution of loud cars and loud drunks on their streets. The reason you don't see it in other places is that other people would not allow it.
    Do you even know what projects are? They are an area of section 8 housing paid in part by the local government. As said before, where there low income people, there will be more crime, that is common sense. You are bunching everyone together as if they want to live off of scraps in the projects, no they don't. People always want better for themselves, and outside help would do just that. can you imagine Michael brown being shot down in a nice neighborhood?
    GadgetGator likes this.
    11-27-2014 12:17 PM
    Maybe because people can't get past their families (only a couple generations ago) were slaves, and or sergrgated against. Imagine being in the south, knowing you have had family members lynched in the past based on their race alone.
    For the sake of the future, sometimes we have to let go of injustices of the past. We have all been wronged in the world in some way or another, but learn to get past it. I don't have to imagine living in the south, I live in the south. I went to a school that was 95% black. I played with other children and made friends with both blacks and whites. I spent my Saturday mornings watching cartoons on the living room floor of a black family. Saturday afternoons were spent on the downtown city streets of a southern city in which I was a minority. As children, we didn't see race, we saw other children and we played and lived together. It was later in life when we learned about racism and how we were "supposed" to feel about others. Some of us remember our childhood and what it was like to all be the same. Some of us choose to carry on the prejudices of the past.

There will be without a doubt a distrust of white people in.minority communities, because when you get to the heart of it, white people in history have been very, let's say not nice, to other races. But now when minorities distrust or don't like whites we are seen as the bad ones.
    People in general have a history of not being nice to other people. White people didn't go to Africa with nets and just scoop up black people. They went with money and bought them. They bought them from other black people. Prejudice isn't just about skin color. Try going to Africa as an American and see how you are treated.
    It isn't fun being discriminated against is it? Imagine feeling most of your life as a minority, being discriminated against and facing racism as a fact of life.
    What I can't imagine is letting it define me as a person or giving anyone the satisfaction of letting them know it bothers me. If I go into a customer's home and they are rude or condescending, they still get a smile and a well done job, the same as if they were all smiles and sunshine.
    11-27-2014 12:33 PM
    @A895: You know, you keep falling back on that slavery issue as if that's your answer for everything. Did you, or anyone you know personally, pick cotton? My advice to you is...GET OVER IT ALREADY!!! How about another justification for violence. Nobody's buying that crap you're trying to sell. Don't you realize how you are sounding? O.K., the Blacks were lynched, the Irish were bombed, and the Jews were gassed. It's OVER. Make a new start. We shall overcome? How can you do that, when you're living in the past?
    11-27-2014 12:45 PM
    For the sake of the future, sometimes we have to let go of injustices of the past. We have all been wronged in the world in some way or another, but learn to get past it. I don't have to imagine living in the south, I live in the south. I went to a school that was 95% black. I played with other children and made friends with both blacks and whites. I spent my Saturday mornings watching cartoons on the living room floor of a black family. Saturday afternoons were spent on the downtown city streets of a southern city in which I was a minority. As children, we didn't see race, we saw other children and we played and lived together. It was later in life when we learned about racism and how we were "supposed" to feel about others. Some of us remember our childhood and what it was like to all be the same. Some of us choose to carry on the prejudices of the past.

People in general have a history of not being nice to other people. White people didn't go to Africa with nets and just scoop up black people. They went with money and bought them. They bought them from other black people. Prejudice isn't just about skin color. Try going to Africa as an American and see how you are treated.

What I can't imagine is letting it define me as a person or giving anyone the satisfaction of letting them know it bothers me. If I go into a customer's home and they are rude or condescending, they still get a smile and a well done job, the same as if they were all smiles and sunshine.
    Not only is the past weighing on the present black communities, it is also the matter of the current lviing conditions, laws, local police force, education. There are many reasons. I am.not saying black people aren't able to shape their future, but it less likely for the same group of black individuals to get the same opportunities to make it out of the same situation.

11-27-2014 01:35 PM
    @A895: You know, you keep falling back on that slavery issue as if that's your answer for everything. Did you, or anyone you know personally, pick cotton? My advice to you is...GET OVER IT ALREADY!!! How about another justification for violence. Nobody's buying that crap you're trying to sell. Don't you realize how you are sounding? O.K., the Blacks were lynched, the Irish were bombed, and the Jews were gassed. It's OVER. Make a new start. We shall overcome? How can you do that, when you're living in the past?
    *sigh* I have explained several factors and things going on, yet you keep getting hung up on slavery, seems you have an issue with the past.

palandri and GadgetGator like this.
    11-27-2014 01:37 PM
    For the sake of the future, sometimes we have to let go of injustices of the past.
    How can we repeat history if people don't take the appropriate steps to forget it?
    11-27-2014 02:05 PM
    How can we repeat history if people don't take the appropriate steps to forget it?
    We should never forget the past, but we also shouldn't live there.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    11-27-2014 02:48 PM
    We should never forget the past, but we also shouldn't live there.
    So, when you say that we have to let go of the injustices of the past, you are saying that we should forgive those who wrong us, right? We should not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
    11-27-2014 04:33 PM
    So, when you say that we have to let go of the injustices of the past, you are saying that we should forgive those who wrong us, right? We should not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
    I'm not always one for forgiveness. I have several long term grudges that I will probably carry with me to the grave. I just refuse to let those grudges get in the way of living my life. If someone wrongs me, and it is something I cannot forgive, I will erase that person from my life. What I will not do is make others suffer because of someone else that has wronged me.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    11-27-2014 04:45 PM
    I'm not always one for forgiveness. I have several long term grudges that I will probably carry with me to the grave. I just refuse to let those grudges get in the way of living my life. If someone wrongs me, and it is something I cannot forgive, I will erase that person from my life. What I will not do is make others suffer because of someone else that has wronged me.
    What happens if those who wronged you, happen to undercut whatever future aspirations you may have? As by example in Ferguson we have a majority white police force using brute force on the black population.

Blacks are most likely to be jailed, more likely to not get hired or promoted, the lost just goes on. There comes a point where some become content on what they have, and leads to complacency, then the future generations that come will be complacent, and so on and so forth.

Until you have a large portion of a face literally stalled by past injustices and current ones. To understand what a minority such as a black man goes through is to have to be born a black man. Things aren't easy, people who grew up with you are mad they are doing something with your life, and those who you may work with do anything to stop you from getting at ahead.

America still has a racist institution, but you have to be black to actually see it, and you would be shocked as to what black people have to go through living in the U.S. I hear stories of how black men and women go to other countries and don't face half the prejudice and discrimination they face in their own country. That is a damn shame you have to go to other countries to not be looked at as a race or color.

palandri likes this.
    11-27-2014 06:06 PM
    Everyone can't be correct
    Opinion and facts should be differentiated. This probably is not possible for someone not directly involved. Those who are directly involved are having trouble with too many opinions from concerned individuals and those who are instigating. I think is intriguing to analyze these type of situations, but we should remember that minding other people's business is a major problem in the world today. We do not have a monopoly on the truth. Those that don't understand what I just stated probably will continue with there personal opinions regardless of the facts. However discerning between opinion and fact can be very difficult for people who have a hard time with facts that don't agree with their opinion. This maybe is why we so often don't know what to do next, to many millions of opinions to one single fact. Man am I filled with long winded bull.
    11-28-2014 10:54 PM
    I see a lot of "they should just get over it", "just move on", " get an education", "work harder" comments but few if any ways of accomplishing that. It seems rather patronizing and shallow and that's from a white guy's point of view.

People that are saying those kinds of things, need to understand what blacks go through in the U.S. Parents have to have different conversations with their children, particularly boys, then parents of other races. Why? Because cops treat them different. Unlike whites, every black male is viewed as a criminal suspect. Guilty until proven innocent. So we end up with things like stop and frisk laws. Imaging being stopped and hassled on the street week after week your entire life just because of the color of your skin. Imagine how that would wear you down. Especially when you know that others are not being subjected to the same crap. And it's not just the men. I have heard a bunch of women complaining about being subjected to excessive traffic stops.

Speaking of which...there's a vicious cycle that few talk about. Let's say you have some sort of traffic tickets. You are poor and cannot pay them. Guess what...eventually they put out a warrant for you. Then you lose whatever job you might have and the cycle of poverty continues.

What we need is a path forward for these people. What we need are cops to stop treating blacks like they are all guilty of something. What we need is for cops to not be choking black men to death on the street for selling untaxed cigarettes. Or shooting first and asking questions later. What we need is trust.

What we don't need in society are flippant all-to-easy answers that don't really solve the problem. That's not helping.

Posted via Android Central App
    palandri and A895 like this.
    11-29-2014 01:35 AM
    I apologize for any misunderstood statements I made. I am trying to help and not hinder in anyway. People like me who don't have a true understanding of the extreme hardships that inner city people endure everyday, should listen to those experts that know the situations. And then we may offer some help or relief, but that does not mean that people in those situations have no responsibility for there declining situation. It is hard to understand how we can help when those involved don't know how we can truly help. Many people say we should just take care of the inner city situation when they are like me and live on very rural farms. I however have lived in the inner city and know that it is a very difficult situation. It will take a lot of money, understanding and guidance to achieve goals. People who donate there time will not be enough. We need to slowly improve the lives of those who truly need it and help them overcome the obstacles and rotted people that have benifited by this demise. How in the hell are we going to be able to pentetrate those areas and help. People will not continue to invest when does no good. It is a extremely difficult situation not unlike warfare. God bless those like yourself who are trying. I just hope that us on the outside can make a difference. But it needs to come from the inner-city core to work. I think there is alot of hope and examples that have worked. Detroit is an example of the hard work that needs to be done.
    11-29-2014 08:41 PM
    Some of my co-workers that are dyed-in-the-wool, Rush Limbaugh listening koolaid drinkers really talked up all the rioting and violence that took place after the grand jury chose not to indict. Some of the comments I heard only let me know how far apart we are with regards to race relations in the U.S. Their comments pretty much reinforce my belief that the right wing tend to be more racist than the left wing. What they fail to understand is that when a system benefits one group over another for ANY reason that is not perceived as just, then there will be no rest.

Glazing over some of the comments here and reading how some people don't care about reconciling our past evil deeds, that's fine if that's your stance, but things tend to reconcile one way or another. It may not happen in our lifetime, but when a whole group of citizens feel that they're being treated unjust, it's only a matter of time before it boils over. We can choose to kick the can down the road or we can choose to actually address the fact that race relations in the U.S. is not what it should be, given that this country was built on the idea that all men are created equal.
    A895 likes this.
    11-29-2014 11:17 PM
    That is assuming that facts will prevail over opinion... Please think about that because it probably isn't going to happen. Rush Limbaugh announced many years ago ( when I saw him live) that global warming does not exist, even though the facts proved him wrong. If ridiculous opinions are allowed to supersede over facts just because that is in the best interest of major investors, it is probably going to take along time to let the general people know and accept the scientific proof. The scientific community overwhelming states that global warming exists. However does this matter to the Republicans. Hell no. My point is that that elected politicians ( Democrats and Republicans) are not mentally able to overcome there idiotic game of pretension. Until politicians are able to voice there opinions as individuals and not have to follow the leaders of there party, Then the only hope we have is that corporate America is our best interest. But they absolutely don't care as a whole. So what Are we left with? The hope that the populace can prevail. And that will not be unanimous in any way shape or form.
    11-30-2014 12:06 AM
    That is assuming that facts will prevail over opinion.
    11-30-2014 12:28 AM
    The reason our justice system is failing is a simple word, "empathy". Our ability to empathize with people based on their race, creed, color, sex, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, or age has quite a horrible record. I've seen on the news countless times when a baby is left in a car unattended in the hot sun, when the family is a minority family, the police department has no problems pressing charges. But when the baby is Caucasian, you hear, "The family has been through enough, we're not going to press charges". That same lack of empathy resonates throughout our legal system. Sometimes I wish we had a legal system that was devoid of the human element. When you consider that about 4% of all death row inmates are later proven innocent, it's quite the miscarriage of justice. God bless America, indeed.
    A895 likes this.
    11-30-2014 10:54 AM
    The reason our justice system is failing is a simple word, "empathy". Our ability to empathize with people based on their race, creed, color, sex, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, or age has quite a horrible record. I've seen on the news countless times when a baby is left in a car unattended in the hot sun, when the family is a minority family, the police department has no problems pressing charges. But when the baby is Caucasian, you hear, "The family has been through enough, we're not going to press charges". That same lack of empathy resonates throughout our legal system. Sometimes I wish we had a legal system that was devoid of the human element. When you consider that about 4% of all death row inmates are later proven innocent, it's quite the miscarriage of justice. God bless America, indeed.
    I don't think that it's at 4%, but i believe that the death penalty, as it now exists, is NOT a deterrent. Here is my solution. People who are proven guilty of murder, and have had their appeals, should be put to death in the exact same manner as they used to kill their victims. Right now, the criminals have more "rights" than the victims. O.K., so a person walks into a convenience store, and robs the place. Before he or she leaves, he or she turns and kills the employee with a shotgun blast because he or she is afraid that they will be recognized. A very plausible scenario. After being caught, convicted of murder, and given all the due processes of law, they should be taken from their cell, and put into a room which was made up to look like the counter of that convenience store where the murder was committed. Now, and this is the deterrent part, the convicted murderer should be put into that room and taken out numerous times, until the time agreed upon between the judge and the family of the deceased. At that time he or she should be brought back into that room, and a guard or some other appointed person, should walk in and execute the prisoner in the same manner, in this case with a shotgun. Criminals who know that this is the law, would think twice about committing murder. IMO, THAT would be justice for the victim's family.
    11-30-2014 11:15 AM
    I don't think that it's at 4%, but i believe that the death penalty, as it now exists, is NOT a deterrent. Here is my solution. People who are proven guilty of murder, and have had their appeals, should be put to death in the exact same manner as they used to kill their victims. Right now, the criminals have more "rights" than the victims. O.K., so a person walks into a convenience store, and robs the place. Before he or she leaves, he or she turns and kills the employee with a shotgun blast because he or she is afraid that they will be recognized. A very plausible scenario. After being caught, convicted of murder, and given all the due processes of law, they should be taken from their cell, and put into a room which was made up to look like the counter of that convenience store where the murder was committed. Now, and this is the deterrent part, the convicted murderer should be put into that room and taken out numerous times, until the time agreed upon between the judge and the family of the deceased. At that time he or she should be brought back into that room, and a guard or some other appointed person, should walk in and execute the prisoner in the same manner, in this case with a shotgun. Criminals who know that this is the law, would think twice about committing murder. IMO, THAT would be justice for the victim's family.
    Similar to this: BBC NEWS | Middle East | Court orders Iranian man blinded

So you believe this?

"...In the Torah We prescribed for them a life for a life, an eye for an eye, a nose for a nose, an ear for an ear, a tooth for a tooth, an equal wound for a wound: if anyone forgoes this out of charity, it will serve as atonement for his bad deeds. Those who do not judge according to what God has revealed are doing grave wrong. (Qurʾān, 5:45)..."
    A895 likes this.
    11-30-2014 12:13 PM
    Not exactly how it would work. Criminals that know this is what awaits them will just make sure if they go, they're going to go out with a bang. There will be more murders to make sure no one can ID them, when they go, they're going to take as many people with them as they can. Sure it sounds all great when it's played out in a movie, but this isn't the movies and it won't work.
    A895, palandri and GadgetGator like this.
    11-30-2014 01:21 PM
    Similar to this: BBC NEWS | Middle East | Court orders Iranian man blinded

So you believe this?

"...In the Torah We prescribed for them a life for a life, an eye for an eye, a nose for a nose, an ear for an ear, a tooth for a tooth, an equal wound for a wound: if anyone forgoes this out of charity, it will serve as atonement for his bad deeds. Those who do not judge according to what God has revealed are doing grave wrong. (Qurʾān, 5:45)..."
    How about this quote, from a Jewish friend of mine....How many of us do you think Hitler would have killed, if we each had a gun? You missed my point entirely. The motivational factor for not committing a murder is FEAR. If the murderer knows that he'll be in jail, with free meals, tv, internet, and whatever else, he won't care. What about the family of the victim? Who looks out for them? Lethal Injection is too good for murderers. Where's the suffering and pain, like they inflicted on their victim?
    P.S. I'm also in favor of restoring public hanging.
    11-30-2014 02:19 PM
    Not exactly how it would work. Criminals that know this is what awaits them will just make sure if they go, they're going to go out with a bang. There will be more murders to make sure no one can ID them, when they go, they're going to take as many people with them as they can. Sure it sounds all great when it's played out in a movie, but this isn't the movies and it won't work.
    That's spot on. The punishment has to fit the crime. I think it was Rockefeller, when he was the Governor of New York, who cracked down on drug dealers by having a bill passed that basically said, if you get caught dealing drugs, you will get a life sentence with no parole. The dealers knew that they would be better off shooting the cop and trying for a manslaughter charge than getting caught dealing drugs. The cops also realized how dangerous a drug dealing arrest would be and arrests for drug dealing went down.

MSNBC has been showing a program called Lockup which is an interesting show to watch. It shows how institutionalized some of the people become. You'll also pickup on some crazy southern sentences, like 30 days for smoking a joint.
    A895 likes this.
    11-30-2014 02:33 PM
662 ... 2122232425 ...