12-02-2014 08:42 PM
662 ... 2324252627
tools
    It would me the same as a bus driver going over the PA system to tell everyone riding how he feels about Rosa Parks, or you or I standing up in our place of work and yelling our political opinions. These are paid athletes that were on the clock, so to speak. The NFL has the right to punish them if they choose to...
    I've seen a few movies about Rosa Parks, and I think the bus driver let everyone know how he felt by telling her to get to the back of the bus.
    "...On December 1, 1955, in Montgomery, Alabama, Parks refused to obey bus driver James F. Blake's order that she give up her seat in the colored section to a white passenger, after the white section was filled..."

I wonder why the NFL refused to punish the player? Would other player refuse to play if the five were suspended?

...The police representative made a valid point though. St. Louis and the NFL worked with local police to make sure the violence did not reach the game and that everyone involved was safe. It was kind of a slap in the face to their (successful)efforts....
    That tells me that the Police Union Representative doesn't understand the magnitude of the events. Like I said it's bigger than the NFL, the grand jury or Mike Brown. Black teens are 21 times more likely to get shot by Police than white teens. That's a big part of the issue, and there are other issues dealing with the militarization of the Police and the interaction of Police with the community.

...Maybe the police department in Ferguson should disban and allow the citzens of Ferguson to police themselves. I mean its not like there would be riots or anything
    The Police department needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.
    12-01-2014 02:53 PM
    So is there some sort of criminal law that says you don't have the freedom to make a statement at work? Did the players do something criminal?
    No, which is why I didn't suggest any sort of law enforcement action. This is something easily dealt with in house. The players are bound by certain codes of conduct and ethics, which the does allow the NFL to discipline them if they feel the players stepped out of the proverbial bounds. If there's enough push back from the fans and ticket sales go down, then they will have to re-examine their position. I don't know if it'll get to that point, though.
    12-01-2014 03:12 PM
    No, which is why I didn't suggest any sort of law enforcement action. This is something easily dealt with in house. The players are bound by certain codes of conduct and ethics, which the does allow the NFL to discipline them if they feel the players stepped out of the proverbial bounds. If there's enough push back from the fans and ticket sales go down, then they will have to re-examine their position. I don't know if it'll get to that point, though.
    Of course it won't. They did nothing wrong. And the NFL recognizes this. They have bigger issues like Adrian Peterson and dealing with Ray Rice being back in the NFL.
    palandri likes this.
    12-01-2014 03:22 PM
    As I said, I don't care for football anyway, so not like I'm personally out anything. Just sucks the fans were presented with such an unprofessional and unsportsman like demonstration.
    Why is it "unsportsmanlike"? They just entered the stadium that way for around 20-30 seconds. It had no bearing on the game, therefore it cannot be unsportsmanlike.

This is an issue that is very important and is bigger than even this one Mike Brown incident. Frankly, despite their high profile, it is quite likely that some of these players have also been stopped for no reason on the streets. So they are affected too.

And they are supposed to ignore that so you can feel more comfortable at a football game and remain in denial? I don't think so.

Posted via Android Central App
    palandri and A895 like this.
    12-01-2014 04:04 PM
    Tell you what, you go to work and make a protest about something in front of your business' customers while in the clock and see how far that gets you.
    12-01-2014 06:19 PM
    Why is it "unsportsmanlike"? They just entered the stadium that way for around 20-30 seconds. It had no bearing on the game, therefore it cannot be unsportsmanlike.

This is an issue that is very important and is bigger than even this one Mike Brown incident. Frankly, despite their high profile, it is quite likely that some of these players have also been stopped for no reason on the streets. So they are affected too.

And they are supposed to ignore that so you can feel more comfortable at a football game and remain in denial? I don't think so.

Honestly I can care less about what the players did. What I don't understand is why people are still gripping on to a lie about Brown being "gunned down" with his hands in the air surrendering. It was that lie by his "friend" that has perpetuated this cycle of emotion taking over regardless of facts or evidence.
    12-01-2014 07:05 PM
    Honestly I can care less about what the players did. What I don't understand is why people are still gripping on to a lie about Brown being "gunned down" with his hands in the air surrendering. It was that lie by his "friend" that has perpetuated this cycle of emotion taking over regardless of facts or evidence.
    No one said he was gunned down with his hands in the air....?
    palandri likes this.
    12-01-2014 07:47 PM
    No one said he was gunned down with his hands in the air....?
    Did we forget? Where do you think the whole hands in the air came from? Dorian Johnson's BS story spread like wildfire and that kicked off all this.

"At that point, Johnson says Brown stopped, turned with his hands up and said “I don’t have a gun, stop shooting!”

By that point, Johnson says the officer and Brown were face-to-face. The officer then fired several more shots.*Johnson described watching Brown go from standing with his hands up to crumbling to the ground and curling into a fetal position."

He never had his hands in the air, he was never shot in the back. Johnson, who had been charged with lying to police before, fabricated a story full of omissions to make them appear 100% innocent. Facts, forensic evidence, and eye witness be dammed to this day. News media ran his lie and that fanned the flames.

Before the Brown incident 95% of Americans would agree assaulting a cop and attempting to take his gun (likely ending up with a dead cop) would view a cops right to use force to protect himself in that case justified. We hear now about how "cops need more training" in response to this. No they don't, ya know who needs more training, the citizens. Kids these days need to take a civics class for christ sake. How about high school kids take a class and pass a test on that? Honesty, courtesy, respect, integrity.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    3moosey3 likes this.
    12-01-2014 08:11 PM
    Do you want reality? The rest of the world does not care. The only way people in a horrible situation can survive is to band together and try to woop *** on the people in your community that have destroyed your freedom. I am a person who has traveled to most all of the major cities in United Sates. The problem to me is obvious. I absolutely do not want to say this, but it is Black problem. We need to accept that as a caring people. So lets deal with it and quit expecting others to fix the problem. I have been in the inner city of Baltimore many years ago when the strip was a go for anythingl. I was robbed and then went to the police department. The officer at the main desk was sound asleep; The officers who were in charge of our case knew who robbed us. It was no big deal, we just needed to be more aware. My point here is that very few Americans can understand what I went through. Today the inner city is not so forgiving. If anyone goes into the inner city and tries to be a cop they are going into a situation that is probably beyond their control. So they are going to deal with situations in a very defensive manner . If they tell someone to do something that is expected of them and they react in any other way, violent or not, the officer is going to react. How he or she reacts will be different. They are going to do what what they can do. Any one of us in that situation will do what we feel is necessary. Wrong or right is not of concern, the reaction will be automatic. This is not something that is racial. Anyone might react the same way. Dammit I've been in most of the cities in the United States. This is absolutely a Black problem. Suck it up and try to deal with it. Us on the outside who don't really care what is happening may help.That is reality. The question is anything going to change. No it is not, because it has gone to far. I just hope that those in the inner city can change. The world is changing. and the inner city is left behind. That is reality.The inner city will either start to comform or not, big woop the world will go on..
    12-01-2014 09:39 PM
    I remember hearing a construction worker at the scene saying he had his hands up. Maybe it was from him falling over.

For the situation to escalate to a homicide, and with the total disconnect of the Police from the community shows the immediate need for more police training. For a cop to do this, shows the immediate need for more training:

Cop Points Gun At Journalists Livestream "Im Going To Kill You in Ferguson (Officer Go F Your Self)

A895 likes this.
    12-01-2014 09:44 PM
    The police dept is now looking to seek out more black officers to hire. Does anyone actually think it'll help, or just see it as pandering to have their "token black guy?"
    12-01-2014 10:43 PM
    To protect ones life in a situation that is not in control can be taught to an extent. A cop in a in a situation that he is not in control of IN THE INNER CITY will do what he knows how to do. When a criminal shoots someone they do the same thing. No one seems to care why he did it, he just did. When I am in questionable life and death situation, I will react in automatic response. There have been many situations where cops probably are not needed. But they are there, and in the inner city they are going to shoot and kill whenever their authority is challenged, especially when they are alone. The inner city is very dangerous and if I am not part of.the group, I would defend myself period. It is a rotten situation. Fix it, if you can. I am betting you cannot.
    12-01-2014 11:03 PM
    The police dept is now looking to seek out more black officers to hire. Does anyone actually think it'll help, out just see it as pandering to have their "token black guy?"
    A Police department should reflect the community they serve.

There's an area of Chicago called Boy's Town where a lot of gays live. Does it make any sense to have Police that disdain the gay live style or don't understand issues that happen in gay areas, patrol that area?

There's an area of Chicago called China Town. Would you know why a person would get upset for someone wearing red to a funeral?

Does it make any sense to send you to Saudi Arabia as a Police Officer?
    A895 likes this.
    12-01-2014 11:13 PM
    Tell you what, you go to work and make a protest about something in front of your business' customers while in the clock and see how far that gets you.
    Clearly it wasn't a problem for said "business" so the question becomes why is it such an issue for you? You seem to be taking it quite personally.

12-01-2014 11:57 PM
    Did we forget? Where do you think the whole hands in the air came from? Dorian Johnson's BS story spread like wildfire and that kicked off all this.

"At that point, Johnson says Brown stopped, turned with his hands up and said “I don’t have a gun, stop shooting!”

By that point, Johnson says the officer and Brown were face-to-face. The officer then fired several more shots.*Johnson described watching Brown go from standing with his hands up to crumbling to the ground and curling into a fetal position."

He never had his hands in the air, he was never shot in the back. Johnson, who had been charged with lying to police before, fabricated a story full of omissions to make them appear 100% innocent. Facts, forensic evidence, and eye witness be dammed to this day. News media ran his lie and that fanned the flames.

Before the Brown incident 95% of Americans would agree assaulting a cop and attempting to take his gun (likely ending up with a dead cop) would view a cops right to use force to protect himself in that case justified. We hear now about how "cops need more training" in response to this. No they don't, ya know who needs more training, the citizens. Kids these days need to take a civics class for christ sake. How about high school kids take a class and pass a test on that? Honesty, courtesy, respect, integrity.

Riiiight. That cop in Staten Island didn't need more training, clearly choking someone to death is standard operating procedure. Except...it's not. And it's not acceptable.

12-02-2014 12:00 AM
    Clearly it wasn't a problem for said "business" so the question becomes why is it such an issue for you? You seem to be taking it quite personally.
    I wasn't the one that brought it up, just addressing it with the normal course of discussion.
    12-02-2014 12:48 AM
    Riiiight. That cop in Staten Island didn't need more training, clearly choking someone to death is standard operating procedure. Except...it's not. And it's not acceptable.

You really want to compare how many people are killed by cops every year to the number of citizens killing each other? Who are you more likely to be killed by?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    12-02-2014 07:01 AM
    A Police department should reflect the community they serve.

There's an area of Chicago called Boy's Town where a lot of gays live. Does it make any sense to have Police that disdain the gay live style or don't understand issues that happen in gay areas, patrol that area?

There's an area of Chicago called China Town. Would you know why a person would get upset for some wearing red to a funeral?

Does it make any sense to send you to Saudi Arabia as a Police Officer?
    So blacks should police blacks, whites police whites, Asians police Asians, Jews, ect. That is essentially what your advocating for? That should improve everything in this country.

12-02-2014 07:05 AM

We went over this a dozen time in this thread, I am not repeating myself. Kids need to take a civics test? What are you assuming? That the brown people in that community are bunch of dumb animals?
    12-02-2014 07:19 AM
    So blacks should police blacks, whites police whites, Asians police Asians, Jews, ect. That is essentially what your advocating for? That should improve everything in this country.

You are talking out of contex. Nowhere did he say that, what should happen, is that communities should have police officers that are more in touch with the issues and the people of the people they serve. That is it, no pandering no racial undertones to it, that is why he also said gay communities, but you chose to be racial and only say specific races.
    palandri likes this.
    12-02-2014 07:22 AM
    We went over this a dozen time in this thread, I am not repeating myself. Kids need to take a civics test? What are you assuming? That the brown people in that community are bunch of dumb animals?
    Pretty sure I didn't limit it to a specific geographic location or class of people. However did you see the video of the step dad? I'm not assuming anything, simply put kids these days, over the last few generations, have demonstrated a lack of civility and respect for authority or a respect for human life for that matter.

12-02-2014 07:23 AM
    You are talking out of contex. Nowhere did he say that, what should happen, is that communities should have police officers that are more in touch with the issues and the people of the people they serve. That is it, no pandering no racial undertones to it, that is why he also said gay communities, but you chose to be racial and only say specific races.
    No, that is exactly what he's suggesting. The "ect" at the end of my statement was simple because I'm not going to list all groups of people. Italians, poles, ECT......

12-02-2014 07:25 AM
    Pretty sure I didn't limit it to a specific geographic location or class of people. However did you see the video of the step dad? I'm not assuming anything, simply put kids these days, over the last few generations, have demonstrated a lack of civility and respect for authority or a respect for human life for that matter.

That is debatable, I think people are more sensitive than ever before. And respect for authority from black communities has always been low. And I did watch that video of his step dad, that is his Step dad. His biological father has been very vocal for peace.
    palandri likes this.
    12-02-2014 07:35 AM
    No, that is exactly what he's suggesting. The "ect" at the end of my statement was simple because I'm not going to list all groups of people. Italians, poles, ECT......

You don't think communities regardless of race or gender preferences would be better served by police officers who know what the problems of that community really are or have a know how of the people of that area?
    palandri and GadgetGator like this.
    12-02-2014 07:37 AM
    Please reread what A895 said:

Another step that the Ferguson mayor announced was paying Police Officers more to live in Ferguson, so they could be more in touch with the community:

"...•Increase the stipend for officers living in the city to $300 per month, up from $100...."

It has nothing to do with race, which you seem to be really hung up on.
    A895 likes this.
    12-02-2014 08:07 AM
662 ... 2324252627