12-02-2014 08:42 PM
662 ... 34567 ...
tools
    The first play was by Brown and that's when he decided to go after his gun.
    You state that as an indisputable fact. Why do you automatically assume that is what factually happened?

Posted via Android Central App
    A895 likes this.
    08-20-2014 10:03 PM
    Or or or, decades of poverty, slavery, and segregation. Plus newer generations being born into the same problems makes the cycle keep spinning, especially since there is little outside help. But lwrs keep believing minorities problems are all the result of their own actions. This comes from decades of actions AGAINST them and even now media vilifies Brown, and focus on rioting to distract from the real issue.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Exactly. Many white people pay no mind to what black people go through. Daily. Having to worry about being pulled over for nothing. Or worse. Automatically being assumed that you are up to no good if you are walking through a neighborhood.

Or just look at what has happened in the last few months. A guy killed in Walmart while looking at BB guns (admittedly it did look like a real gun...Walmart shouldn't be selling those). A guy choked to death for selling untaxed cigarettes. Then this. Then there was the whole Fruitville station incident on the BART system. All these little things add up and build mistrust.

It's clear that cops nationwide need more training and a bit less militarization. It is only causing an "us vs. them" mentality.....on both sides.

A895 likes this.
    08-20-2014 10:18 PM
    You state that as an indisputable fact. Why do you automatically assume that is what factually happened?

I'm pretty sure I was clear in the very same post your quoting from when I put in parentheses "if the reports are true".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-20-2014 10:36 PM
    We also aren't talking about a career criminal but it STILL HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SHOOTING regardless.

No but we're talking about a pattern of behavior and that very much is relevant. The brazenness of the robbery and the physical intimidation over the clerk would also suggest it wasn't his first time and he has no problem imposing his will over someone else. There's a reason why Holder and the Governor were adamant they didn't want the surveillance video released and irate when it was. It's damning to their case in the court of public opinion.

08-20-2014 10:43 PM
    Do you mean that the socioeconomic conditions of some races, ie. poverty etc, leads to higher commission of crime, resulting in disproportionately higher rates of incarceration?
    Please don't tell me that you don't think the two are related.

No but we're talking about a pattern of behavior and that very much is relevant. The brazenness of the robbery and the physical intimidation over the clerk would also suggest it wasn't his first time and he has no problem imposing his will over someone else. There's a reason why Holder and the Governor were adamant they didn't want the surveillance video released and irate when it was. It's damning to their case in the court of public opinion.

Lets see, they have already stated that the cop didn't know that Brown had stolen from that convenience store, so why would releasing the tape have anything to do with what transpired other than to try to justify their shooting? I read somewhere that releasing that footage is just as relevant as releasing the fact that the cop's mom was a known con artist and identity thief.

So to everyone that's labeling people as "disgusting animals", can we also label the cop as a disgusting animal since he grew up in a home with a con artist for a mom? Fair is fair right?
    A895 likes this.
    08-20-2014 11:41 PM
    Lets see, they have already stated that the cop didn't know that Brown had stolen from that convenience store, so why would releasing the tape have anything to do with what transpired other than to try to justify their shooting?
    On the flip side, would you agree it's plausible that Michael thought the cop was responding to the robbery call and acted with the intent of trying to prevent his apprehension?
    08-20-2014 11:50 PM
    On the flip side, would you agree it's plausible that Michael thought the cop was responding to the robbery call and acted with the intent of trying to prevent his apprehension?
    If that's the case then lets think this through, he stole some cigars so he's not going to go to jail for that so he decides that it's best to go for the officer's weapon, to kill the officer? Umm yeah that doesn't sound right. I'm not sure how someone goes from stealing cigars to killing cops. Most street punks are probably going to run thinking that a cop isn't going to pursue someone on foot for the theft of some cigars.

But at this point it's speculation. About the only thing I've seen thus far is the preliminary autopsy report that was conducted on behalf of the family that is somewhat damning to the police claims (especially the bullet that was shot from a trajectory that shows the shot came from above). Kind of interesting, and somewhat revealing that the police department has yet to release anything other than the burglary of the cigars.
    A895 likes this.
    08-21-2014 12:22 AM
    People have tried to harm cops for less, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.
    08-21-2014 12:27 AM
    (P.S. To Mods and everyone else, I hope for a friendly discussion, and not race baiting.)
    That hasn't been very successful so far. Thread has been cleaned.

Guys, I know I've said this a few times... but there is a GIANT BANNER on literally every page of this section. There are three bolded sentences. To repeat them.

1. Be polite.
    2. Refrain from personal attacks or insults to other members.
    3. Discrimination or harassment is not tolerated.

That last one is important. I mean they all are, but please understand that even getting close to the line on this is way out of bounds. There is room for debate and dialogue - there is no room for mindless bigotry and not much room for all of the ad hominem abuse and passive aggressive jabs.

If your intention as a participant of the forums is to have heated troll fests, then go to a site dedicated to that - not one that prohibits it.

Anyways, issued a couple of warnings, etc. and cleaned the thread up a little... please let us know if anyone is unclear on the expectations.
    A895 likes this.
    08-21-2014 02:10 AM

It still has nothing to do with the shooting, the officer had ZERO knowledge of the robbery before running into Brown, even the police chief in Ferguson admitted that.

08-21-2014 07:01 AM
    It still has nothing to do with the shooting, the officer had ZERO knowledge of the robbery before running into Brown, even the police chief in Ferguson admitted that.

No but it can be viewed as corroborating evidence as far as a pattern of behavior of aggression. It also lends some credence to the officers story that he came back at him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    08-21-2014 07:24 AM
    No but it can be viewed as corroborating evidence as far as a pattern of behavior of aggression. It also lends some credence to the officers story that he came back at him.

So we go from him possibly being a convenience store robber stealing cigarellos unarmed to attacking a cop? Unlikely story.

08-21-2014 07:26 AM
    Kind of interesting, and somewhat revealing that the police department has yet to release anything other than the burglary of the cigars.
    That's what a grand jury is for. They weed through the facts and determine if there is enough for an indictment. With rioting and people acting lawless, it servers no purpose to argue their case to the public. The rioters, much like A895's attitude, want him in jail regardless of the facts. Anything short of that is criminal. We already have a Missouri state senator threatening that the riots now will look like a picnic (her words) if he's not indicted. So why incite anyone if what you say will not be what they want to hear?

08-21-2014 07:32 AM
    So we go from him possibly being a convenience store robber stealing cigarellos unarmed to attacking a cop? Unlikely story.

You say "possibly" like there's something on the video that casts doubt he robbed the store. Are we that blind?

08-21-2014 07:33 AM
    You say "possibly" like there's something on the video that casts doubt he robbed the store. Are we that blind?

So you are ignoring my point? Ok.

08-21-2014 07:46 AM
    New article from Cracked on Ferguson and the media:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Crack...3/gyG1cduVSxk/

I found this gem in the comments:

It doesn't matter if Michael Brown was high, stole cigars, was a choir boy, or whatever.

He was an American citizen with rights.

And in America, cops are not allowed to shoot you six times when you don't have a weapon and aren't posing a threat to someone's life.
    08-21-2014 08:33 AM
    So you are ignoring my point? Ok.

No, but you've proven my point.
    08-21-2014 09:18 AM
    What this case will come down to is the wording of Missouri's self defense laws and any legislation pertaining to a police officer's use of lethal force. EVERYTHING is contingent on what circumstances warrant use of lethal force under law. The jury just has to decide, from the facts and testimonies, if this police officer's situation was protected by law.

There is some good evidence to support both sides. The only real piece of the puzzle letting my mind is what started the confrontation. Why were these 2 people confronting each other?
    08-21-2014 09:28 AM
    No, but you've proven my point.
    You had a point?

08-21-2014 09:30 AM
    What this case will come down to is the wording of Missouri's self defense laws and any legislation pertaining to a police officer's use of lethal force. EVERYTHING is contingent on what circumstances warrant use of lethal force under law. The jury just has to decide, from the facts and testimonies, if this police officer's situation was protected by law.

There is some good evidence to support both sides. The only real piece of the puzzle letting my mind is what started the confrontation. Why were these 2 people confronting each other?
    Good point. That hadn't been touched on yet.

08-21-2014 09:31 AM
    That hasn't been very successful so far. Thread has been cleaned.

Guys, I know I've said this a few times... but there is a GIANT BANNER on literally every page of this section. There are three bolded sentences. To repeat them.

1. Be polite.
    2. Refrain from personal attacks or insults to other members.
    3. Discrimination or harassment is not tolerated.

That last one is important. I mean they all are, but please understand that even getting close to the line on this is way out of bounds. There is room for debate and dialogue - there is no room for mindless bigotry and not much room for all of the ad hominem abuse and passive aggressive jabs.

If your intention as a participant of the forums is to have heated troll fests, then go to a site dedicated to that - not one that prohibits it.

Anyways, issued a couple of warnings, etc. and cleaned the thread up a little... please let us know if anyone is unclear on the expectations.
    I was actually going to post up something earlier when I posted about my comment about how this issue has been a long time coming. I definitely appreciate you guys keeping this thread going for as long as it's been going, especially since it does sometimes seem that some people are ok with this type of thread being swept under the rug. This issue really does need a little more introspection by all parties.
    A895 likes this.
    08-21-2014 11:19 AM
    That's what a grand jury is for. They weed through the facts and determine if there is enough for an indictment. With rioting and people acting lawless, it servers no purpose to argue their case to the public. The rioters, much like A895's attitude, want him in jail regardless of the facts. Anything short of that is criminal. We already have a Missouri state senator threatening that the riots now will look like a picnic (her words) if he's not indicted. So why incite anyone if what you say will not be what they want to hear?

That's why it's odd that the video tape of Brown stealing is the ONLY thing that the police have released. One can claim all they want that it was a news media outlet that requested the video, but I've seen in multiple incidents the authorities responding with, "Because of the nature of this incident, and the fact that there is an ongoing investigation, we aren't going to make the video available to the public yet. Once our investigation is concluded, at that time we will make the video available to the public". Yet somehow, they chose to release the one piece of evidence that paints the policeman's actions in a good light...."Oh he was behaving like a bully? Sure, the cop was justified in shooting him 6 times..."
    A895 and GadgetGator like this.
    08-21-2014 11:23 AM
    That's why it's odd that the video tape of Brown stealing is the ONLY thing that the police have released. One can claim all they want that it was a news media outlet that requested the video, but I've seen in multiple incidents the authorities responding with, "Because of the nature of this incident, and the fact that there is an ongoing investigation, we aren't going to make the video available to the public yet. Once our investigation is concluded, at that time we will make the video available to the public". Yet somehow, they chose to release the one piece of evidence that paints the policeman's actions in a good light...."Oh he was behaving like a bully? Sure, the cop was justified in shooting him 6 times..."
    They also released the dispatch records.
    08-21-2014 11:36 AM
    They also released the dispatch records.
    From which incident?

08-21-2014 11:57 AM
    08-21-2014 12:04 PM
662 ... 34567 ...