09-03-2015 03:09 PM
94 1234
tools
    They say it's possible that the Grand Jury was privy to more information than what is released to the public. That being said, it was a GROUP of people that found sufficient reason for him to be indicted. Thus, it makes me think that there's more underneath the surface here.
    Every hear the phrase, "A jury can indict a ham sandwich".
    08-21-2014 04:25 PM
    However, the prosecution couldn't get a conviction because the ham sandwich wouldn't squeal during trial.
    08-21-2014 04:40 PM
    Well Rick Perry is a bit of a ham, and as dumb as a sammich.....
    GadgetGator likes this.
    08-22-2014 10:40 AM
    Interesting bit of related news that I never knew before....apparently Perry's gun rights are now somewhat restricted, at least temporarily, while this plays out.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...40822?irpc=932

Posted via Android Central App
    08-22-2014 05:16 PM
    Interesting bit of related news that I never knew before....apparently Perry's gun rights are now somewhat restricted, at least temporarily, while this plays out.

Texas Governor Perry's indictment to curb his gun-toting ways

Would be funny if he gets convicted and loses his right to vote AND carry....
    A895 likes this.
    08-22-2014 05:36 PM
    He's still allowed to use a handgun at home, so the indictment only affects him when he's out in public. It's probably nothing significant because he has bodyguards.
    08-23-2014 12:50 AM
    He's still allowed to use a handgun at home, so the indictment only affects him when he's out in public. It's probably nothing significant because he has bodyguards.
    He cannot buy any new things though. Or bullets. Though I suppose someone else could always pick those up for him. Still, if not a practical issue for him, I am sure it is somewhat of a psychological one.

08-23-2014 05:41 PM
    He cannot buy any new things though. Or bullets. Though I suppose someone else could always pick those up for him. Still, if not a practical issue for him, I am sure it is somewhat of a psychological one.
    It would only be an issue if Rick Perry needed more firearms and ammunition. For all we know, he probably has a decent supply at home already.

I am not sure if there is any psychological impact at all from having a concealed handgun license revoked. Like I said before, he has bodyguards that can protect him. If he needed additional protection at home, he could openly carry a handgun at home. Law enforcement will not be confiscating any of his weapons.
    08-27-2014 06:21 PM
    It would only be an issue if Rick Perry needed more firearms and ammunition. For all we know, he probably has a decent supply at home already.

I am not sure if there is any psychological impact at all from having a concealed handgun license revoked. Like I said before, he has bodyguards that can protect him. If he needed additional protection at home, he could openly carry a handgun at home. Law enforcement will not be confiscating any of his weapons.
    I'm not sure why you always seem to play contrary devil's advocate in your post, but it's pretty clear that to someone like Perry who is all about freedom and gun rights, being told "no" on anything to do with either of those things has to bug him at least a little. He's got way to big of an ego for it not to.

08-27-2014 07:30 PM
    I'm not sure why you always seem to play contrary devil's advocate in your post, but it's pretty clear that to someone like Perry who is all about freedom and gun rights, being told "no" on anything to do with either of those things has to bug him at least a little. He's got way to big of an ego for it not to.
    However, revoking a concealed handgun license is standard procedure in cases like these. Anyone charged with a felony will have their license revoked. No one is singling out Rick Perry, and I haven't heard him claim that people indicted for a felony should be allowed to carry a concealed handgun.
    08-27-2014 08:14 PM

Maybe he just likes to argue, or maybe not.... If he argues against this then we'll know something's up.....shhhhh!!!
    GadgetGator likes this.
    08-27-2014 08:44 PM
    However, revoking a concealed handgun license is standard procedure in cases like these. Anyone charged with a felony will have their license revoked. No one is singling out Rick Perry, and I haven't heard him claim that people indicted for a felony should be allowed to carry a concealed handgun.
    Thanks for proving the contrary part. Geez. The not being singled out point or not asking for people under indictment to be allowed guns is utterly irrelevant to the fact that Perry's wings have been clipped. That there are other birds with him on the fence is beside the point.

08-28-2014 04:31 PM
    The not being singled out point or not asking for people under indictment to be allowed guns is utterly irrelevant to the fact that Perry's wings have been clipped.
    We simply have a disagreement on the effect the indictment will have on Rick Perry with respect to guns.

Currently, Rick Perry cannot buy guns and ammunition. For all we know, he might already have a stockpile of both at home that will last him well beyond the period he is under indictment.

He also cannot carry a concealed handgun in public. Like I said before, he has bodyguards to protect him, so he wouldn't need to carry a handgun (concealed or not) in public. At home, he can carry whatever firearm he wants, so the concealed handgun ban doesn't affect him there.
    08-29-2014 06:23 PM
    We simply have a disagreement on the effect the indictment will have on Rick Perry with respect to guns.

Currently, Rick Perry cannot buy guns and ammunition. For all we know, he might already have a stockpile of both at home that will last him well beyond the period he is under indictment.

He also cannot carry a concealed handgun in public. Like I said before, he has bodyguards to protect him, so he wouldn't need to carry a handgun (concealed or not) in public. At home, he can carry whatever firearm he wants, so the concealed handgun ban doesn't affect him there.
    I think he was saying it a bit tongue in cheek, not expecting it to be up for argument, but just in poking Rick Perry. Should I whip out my 3 reasons for his post, balk after the 1st reason, and have you argue the contrary?
    GadgetGator likes this.
    08-29-2014 07:33 PM
    09-02-2014 04:43 PM
    Thanks for the article. I liked this part:

"Indeed, legal analysts, including CNN's Jeffrey Toobin, a former federal prosecutor, question the indictment. 'The governor has the power to veto this money,' Toobin said. 'So, the question is, how can it be a crime to threaten to use a power that is entirely within the powers of your office?' "

If Mr. Toobin (a graduate of Harvard Law school) can't see how Rick Perry committed a crime, I'm more likely to believe that there is reasonable doubt. Remember, you need to go beyond a reasonable doubt to convict someone of a crime.
    09-03-2014 04:51 PM

"Indeed, legal analysts, including CNN's Jeffrey Toobin, a former federal prosecutor, question the indictment. 'The governor has the power to veto this money,' Toobin said. 'So, the question is, how can it be a crime to threaten to use a power that is entirely within the powers of your office?' "

If Mr. Toobin (a graduate of Harvard Law school) can't see how Rick Perry committed a crime, I'm more likely to believe that there is reasonable doubt. Remember, you need to go beyond a reasonable doubt to convict someone of a crime.
    Mr. Toobin is often wrong on things. He's not perfect. That being said, this case is no slam dunk either.

09-04-2014 01:08 AM

The problem he may face really doesn't have anything to do with the threat he made. What it will do though, is it will get people to ask why Perry was so determined to get her thrown out. This will then get people to start examining the cancer research money that he threw at his largest donors. Then people will start examining his other dealings. I don't think we've heard the last of the cancer research issue and I'm willing to bet that there are investigations taking place as we speak err type.
    09-04-2014 02:16 AM
    Mr. Toobin is often wrong on things. He's not perfect.
    How would you reword Jeffrey Toobin's statement?
    09-05-2014 05:08 AM
    That being said, this case is no slam dunk either.
    This is why you have so many people wondering why this case even exists. I would be interested to hear a lawyer's opinion on why Rick Perry should go to jail over his veto.
    09-05-2014 05:17 AM
    The problem he may face really doesn't have anything to do with the threat he made. What it will do though, is it will get people to ask why Perry was so determined to get her thrown out. This will then get people to start examining the cancer research money that he threw at his largest donors.
    I think that would be equivalent to a legal fishing expedition, and the judge would have to block anything that didn't fall within the scope of the indictment.
    09-05-2014 05:27 AM
    I think that would be equivalent to a legal fishing expedition, and the judge would have to block anything that didn't fall within the scope of the indictment.
    I'm not talking about the court of law, I'm talking about the court of public opinion as far as immediate troubles. And I don't think any of his irregular dealings would play a part in this trial, but it may open him up for future litigation. Also, there is a GOP candidate that is running for governor here that had ties to that cancer research center. It may open him up to more scrutiny.
    09-05-2014 05:38 AM
    I'm not talking about the court of law, I'm talking about the court of public opinion as far as immediate troubles.
    The court of public opinion can't send Rick Perry to prison. Only a court of law can do that.
    09-05-2014 02:34 PM
    And I don't think any of his irregular dealings would play a part in this trial, but it may open him up for future litigation. Also, there is a GOP candidate that is running for governor here that had ties to that cancer research center. It may open him up to more scrutiny.
    "Future litigation" is the key phrase. Anything that falls outside of the scope of the indictment would have to be in another trial. This trial only deals with Rick Perry and his veto. Remember, none of this would have gone to court if Rosemary Lehmberg simply didn't drink and drive.
    09-05-2014 02:49 PM
    The court of public opinion can't send Rick Perry to prison. Only a court of law can do that.
    Rick Perry is aspiring to be president, I think it would behoove him to garner as much positive publicity at this time.

"Future litigation" is the key phrase. Anything that falls outside of the scope of the indictment would have to be in another trial. This trial only deals with Rick Perry and his veto. Remember, none of this would have gone to court if Rosemary Lehmberg simply didn't drink and drive.
    But, she paid her debt to society, went to counseling, and then came back to work. If he had no authority to remove her after she was arrested, then threatening her IS a violation of the law.
    nolittdroid likes this.
    09-05-2014 06:44 PM
94 1234