09-03-2015 03:09 PM
94 1234
tools
    How would you reword Jeffrey Toobin's statement?
    I am not sure what a man being wrong about court outcomes has to to with rewording "statements".

Posted via Android Central App
    09-05-2014 10:08 PM
    If he had no authority to remove her after she was arrested, then threatening her IS a violation of the law.
    Well, let's take a look at the law:

Texas Local Government Code, Title 3, Subtitle B, Chapter 87
    Sec. 87.013. GENERAL GROUNDS FOR REMOVAL.
    (a) An officer may be removed for:
    (1) incompetency;
    (2) official misconduct; or
    (3) intoxication on or off duty caused by drinking an alcoholic beverage.

It seems like Rick Perry can remove Rosemary Lehmberg for intoxication.
    09-08-2014 03:53 PM

(1) incompetency;

and again he did not go that route at all. Instead he used a public threat and then veto the money. Basic abuse of power. Followed by that little claus does not apply to elected officials. So in both cases that does not work.

If that was the case he would of gone that way. As pointed out multiple times before this is the tip of the ice berg. Also you will find that in Texas the screaming it is all politics is not happening. That tends to be more on the national level. Locally not really that surprising it is more about time.
    09-08-2014 06:20 PM
    and again he did not go that route at all. Instead he used a public threat and then veto the money. Basic abuse of power.
    So, what would you say if, hypothetically speaking, Rosemary Lehmberg and Rick Perry were in each other's position?

If Rick Perry was the district attorney who was arrested for drunk driving, I would have no problem with Rosemary Lehmberg, as the governor of Texas, using her veto as a way to get Perry to resign.
    09-08-2014 06:55 PM
    So, what would you say if, hypothetically speaking, Rosemary Lehmberg and Rick Perry were in each other's position?

If Rick Perry was the district attorney who was arrested for drunk driving, I would have no problem with Rosemary Lehmberg, as the governor of Texas, using her veto as a way to get Perry to resign.
    Problem was not the veto. It was the threat. If he had veto it and said nothing it would of been with in his right. It was making the very public threat that he crossed the line on. It also did not help that it was known he did not like the fact that he was being looked into on corruption on the cancer funding.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    09-08-2014 07:36 PM
    Problem was not the veto. It was the threat. If he had veto it and said nothing it would of been with in his right. It was making the very public threat that he crossed the line on. It also did not help that it was known he did not like the fact that he was being looked into on corruption on the cancer funding.
    If a Republican district attorney were guilty of drunk driving, I would expect a Democrat governor to do the same thing that Rick Perry did -- call for that DA's resignation.

If Rick Perry entered a veto without an explanation, I'm sure people would complain that his administration was not being transparent.

If Rosemary Lehmberg did more investigating and less vodka drinking, we wouldn't be dealing with any of this.
    09-08-2014 09:41 PM
    If a Republican district attorney were guilty of drunk driving, I would expect a Democrat governor to do the same thing that Rick Perry did -- call for that DA's resignation.

If Rick Perry entered a veto without an explanation, I'm sure people would complain that his administration was not being transparent.

If Rosemary Lehmberg did more investigating and less vodka drinking, we wouldn't be dealing with any of this.
    Call for resignation was fine. The threat part is where he crossed the line.
    As I also pointed out her being drunk is not the issue. It is how he went about it. Also as I pointed out this is not really surprising. Perry is corrupt as hell.

09-08-2014 09:46 PM
    Call for resignation was fine. The threat part is where he crossed the line.
    As I also pointed out her being drunk is not the issue. It is how he went about it. Also as I pointed out this is not really surprising. Perry is corrupt as hell.
    Well, at least I got you to agree that calling for Rosemary Lehmberg's resignation was fine, as well as the veto itself.

Do you think Rosemary Lehmberg should keep her job? It seems quite clear that she should have resigned immediately, but I suppose people have different attitudes towards drunk driving.

If Lehmberg was never drunk, she would have never been arrested, and Rick Perry would not call for her resignation over her DWI.

Do you believe the people of Texas like to vote corrupt politicians into the governor's office? I certainly hope that's not the case.
    09-08-2014 10:19 PM
    Well, at least I got you to agree that calling for Rosemary Lehmberg's resignation was fine, as well as the veto itself.

Do you think Rosemary Lehmberg should keep her job? It seems quite clear that she should have resigned immediately, but I suppose people have different attitudes towards drunk driving.

If Lehmberg was never drunk, she would have never been arrested, and Rick Perry would not call for her resignation over her DWI.

Do you believe the people of Texas like to vote corrupt politicians into the governor's office? I certainly hope that's not the case.
    Again you are missing the point. The resignation and the veto by themselves were fine. The part that makes it illegal is when you add in the public threat Perry did.

Lehmberg resigning more then likely yes but this is not about her. It is about perry and his threat which was the abuse of power.

09-08-2014 10:21 PM
    Again you are missing the point. The resignation and the veto by themselves were fine. The part that makes it illegal is when you add in the public threat Perry did.

Lehmberg resigning more then likely yes but this is not about her. It is about perry and his threat which was the abuse of power.
    Is this the public threat you are talking about?

"Despite the otherwise good work the Public Integrity Unit's employees, I cannot in good conscience support continued State funding for an office with statewide jurisdiction at a time when the person charged with ultimate responsibility of that unit has lost the public's confidence. This unit is in no other way held accountable to state taxpayers, except through the State budgetary process. I therefore object to and disapprove of this appropriation." - Office of the Governor, Rick Perry, Line-Item Vetoes in SB 1

Rosemary Lehmberg's name is in the indictment. Her behavior is relevant because Rick Perry only took his actions because of her DWI. In any case, I am glad that you have not said that she should keep her job.
    09-08-2014 11:02 PM
    Is this the public threat you are talking about?

"Despite the otherwise good work the Public Integrity Unit's employees, I cannot in good conscience support continued State funding for an office with statewide jurisdiction at a time when the person charged with ultimate responsibility of that unit has lost the public's confidence. This unit is in no other way held accountable to state taxpayers, except through the State budgetary process. I therefore object to and disapprove of this appropriation." - Office of the Governor, Rick Perry, Line-Item Vetoes in SB 1

Rosemary Lehmberg's name is in the indictment. Her behavior is relevant because Rick Perry only took his actions because of her DWI. In any case, I am glad that you have not said that she should keep her job.
    It goes before that key part. Perry made it clear he would veto it unless she resigned. Chances are wanted to appoint some lacky that would drop the investigation into him over the cancer research funding usage.

Perry was making public threats before hand and that is the part that broke the law.

As I said before this is just the tip of the ice burg. There is a reason why in Texas news they are not airing stuff about this is all political as they know the truth. It not. They known perry is a corrupt and abusing state money left and right. They know this is the tip. It is only on the national news that says other wise. It sad but this was a perfect time for the media to dig into perry. Sadly they bought the gop smoke screen and not trying to look deeper.

09-08-2014 11:07 PM

(1) incompetency;

It doesn't say if he's responsible for removal of said POLITICALLY HELD office. Would seem to me that based on your quote, he has the authority to remove anyone he wants. What's stopping him from removing ALL Democratic state senators and deeming them "incompetent" based on the fact that they don't vote the way he thinks is "competent"? In this case, I'm betting that the people that elected her would have to have a recall election. Since that didn't happen, guess what, Perry CANNOT threaten her to get her to step down.
    09-09-2014 05:35 AM
    Chances are wanted to appoint some lacky that would drop the investigation into him over the cancer research funding usage.
    It looks like Rick Perry wanted to replace Rosemary Lehmberg with Mindy Montford, a Democrat. He called her personally several days before the veto.

Perry called Austin Democrat to succeed Lehmberg -- KVUE News ABC (article link here)

Excerpt: "'I think I told him, of course, it would be an amazing opportunity, and I thanked him for considering me,' Montford said. 'The fact that I am a Democrat was surprising, and I think I mentioned that to him. I told him I would think about it, and thanked him.'

'There was no acceptance because I didn't feel like it was timely at that point,' she said. 'We never spoke again because it became irrelevant when she did not resign.'"
    09-11-2014 04:09 AM
    It looks like Rick Perry wanted to replace Rosemary Lehmberg with Mindy Montford, a Democrat. He called her personally several days before the veto.

Perry called Austin Democrat to succeed Lehmberg -- KVUE News ABC (article link here)

Excerpt: "'I think I told him, of course, it would be an amazing opportunity, and I thanked him for considering me,' Montford said. 'The fact that I am a Democrat was surprising, and I think I mentioned that to him. I told him I would think about it, and thanked him.'

'There was no acceptance because I didn't feel like it was timely at that point,' she said. 'We never spoke again because it became irrelevant when she did not resign.'"
    And that's is what he says but believing it is 2 different things. I would not put him past plating a game and having someone else in mind the entire time.

But again. Just because she was questionable at best does not change the abuse of power and using his position to make threats like what he did.

09-11-2014 07:15 AM
    And that's is what he says but believing it is 2 different things. I would not put him past plating a game and having someone else in mind the entire time.

But again. Just because she was questionable at best does not change the abuse of power and using his position to make threats like what he did.

Like Mindy Montford said, the request became irrelevant once Rosemary Lehmberg refused to resign.

In any case, I find it reassuring that you have not rejected Rick Perry's idea to nominate Montford for Lehmberg's job and that you believe Lehmberg is questionable at best.
    09-11-2014 04:57 PM
    Like Mindy Montford said, the request became irrelevant once Rosemary Lehmberg refused to resign.

In any case, I find it reassuring that you have not rejected Rick Perry's idea to nominate Montford for Lehmberg's job and that you believe Lehmberg is questionable at best.
    But does not change the fact that neither have anything to do with the fact perry crossed a line. Perry abused his power to get what he wanted. And like I said this is just the tip. I expect him to get off on these charges but I also expect him to get nailed on something else because they will start digging.
    I think it is sad that the media is not take the time to really go after perry and look at all the other stuff he has done that is just plain bad.

There is a reason that in Texas news you are not seeing this is political. It is because they know the truth about him and that this is the tip

09-11-2014 07:31 PM
    I expect him to get off on these charges but I also expect him to get nailed on something else because they will start digging.
    Well, at least I can get you to agree that Rick Perry will get off on these charges.

Whether he gets convicted for anything else will probably be in a separate trial, but only if there is enough evidence to convince a jury.
    09-15-2014 09:55 PM
    Well, at least I can get you to agree that Rick Perry will get off on these charges.

Whether he gets convicted for anything else will probably be in a separate trial, but only if there is enough evidence to convince a jury.
    Still kind of sad that the media is not taking the chance to dig into him on this. I do not expect fake news to do anything but others should.

09-15-2014 10:48 PM
    Still kind of sad that the media is not taking the chance to dig into him on this. I do not expect fake news to do anything but others should.
    Part of the problem is that the media can influence the public to the point where you cannot find enough impartial people to form a jury to hear the case against Rick Perry. Whatever you may think of Rick Perry, he deserves a fair trial based on the evidence, not on informal speculation. Therefore, the media may be holding back intentionally until the court selects a jury.

Of course, we shouldn't rule out the possibility that the media is in support of Rick Perry. Do you believe that is the case? If so, why?
    09-16-2014 08:26 PM
    Part of the problem is that the media can influence the public to the point where you cannot find enough impartial people to form a jury to hear the case against Rick Perry. Whatever you may think of Rick Perry, he deserves a fair trial based on the evidence, not on informal speculation. Therefore, the media may be holding back intentionally until the court selects a jury.

Of course, we shouldn't rule out the possibility that the media is in support of Rick Perry. Do you believe that is the case? If so, why?
    Fake news yes I believe they are supporting perry but they are a mouth piece of the gop.

As for the others honestly they are ignoring it because really only people really interested in it are in Texas and here well we are not surprised. We know he is scum so it is not surprising at all. Plus the story would require really reporting work. Something that was lost a long time ago.

09-16-2014 08:29 PM
    As for the others honestly they are ignoring it because really only people really interested in it are in Texas and here well we are not surprised. We know he is scum so it is not surprising at all. Plus the story would require really reporting work. Something that was lost a long time ago.
    What about the LA Times? That was the source of the article you referenced. Do they do good reporting?

I suppose if the people of Texas didn't like Rick Perry, they could have voted for someone else.
    09-17-2014 06:21 PM

It would be nice considering but I wonder why they haven't. Im surprised we didn't hear more about the abortion-hallways-attending cr@p bill he brought back for a special vote. The guy has no respect for women, I'm not surprised he wanted to use/abuse his office to replace her.
    09-18-2014 02:27 PM
    I have to be honest, I hope Rick Perry beats this in time for the 2016 elections. I want to hear him explain to the AMERICAN people how he wanted to secede FROM AMERICA after the 2012 elections. And god I'm hoping he has 3 reasons.....
    grover5 likes this.
    09-19-2014 05:43 PM
    It would be nice considering but I wonder why they haven't. Im surprised we didn't hear more about the abortion-hallways-attending cr@p bill he brought back for a special vote. The guy has no respect for women, I'm not surprised he wanted to use/abuse his office to replace her.
    You think it is just women he has no respect for?
    Oh he also veto a The safe passing law in Texas. Turns out he has a buddy who's son killed a cyclists and would of been screwed under the law.

09-19-2014 09:05 PM
    You think it is just women he has no respect for?
    Oh he also veto a The safe passing law in Texas. Turns out he has a buddy who's son killed a cyclists and would of been screwed under the law.

He is pretty much a politician that's been in office too long. He let some foreign entity build toll roads out here because he's easing taxes on all the businesses so we can't repair our crumbling infrastructure. That's pretty much a tax hike on the working class as we have to pay tolls to get to and from work.

Probably his biggest misdeeds in Texas is that he's cutting funding for education, helping the religious right nutbags push creationism into our public schools, and most recently signed an abortion bill into law that practically shut down most abortion clinics in the state. Fortunately, the supreme court has struck down a big part of that law that was meant to shut these clinics down.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    09-20-2014 10:21 AM
94 1234