09-03-2015 03:09 PM
94 123 ...
tools
    Texas Gov. Rick Perry is indicted, accused of abusing his power - LA Times

color me not surprised. The guy is corrupt as hell. When he is indicted on is just the tip. It steams from the fact he was being investigated for illegal use of a slush fund to bring pharmaceuticals to Texas but most of the money was going to campaign backers. He tried to force the DA doing it to quit by saying he would veto the money going to here.

The Veto part is not being question. It the the threat and carrying threw wit the threat. Sadly this is just the tip.
    08-16-2014 11:54 AM
    I'm not familiar with that, but if he's dirty, he deserves going to jail, sooner rather than later.
    08-16-2014 12:16 PM
    👏👏👏
    08-16-2014 04:53 PM
    He tried to force the DA doing it to quit by saying he would veto the money going to here.
    Regarding the district attorney, this is what the article has to say:

"Against that backdrop, Travis County Dist. Atty. Rosemary Lehmberg was arrested last year on drunken-driving charges. She turned belligerent after police stopped her, and a videotape of her aggressive behavior in custody was widely circulated in the Texas media.

Perry threatened to veto $7.5 million in funding for the public corruption unit in Lehmberg’s office unless she stepped down, saying he could not support continued funding 'for an office with statewide jurisdiction at a time when the person charged with ultimate responsibility for that unit has lost the public’s confidence.'

Lehmberg served a jail sentence of about three weeks but refused to quit, and Perry followed through on his veto threat."

It begs the question: Was the 3-week jail sentence enough for a district attorney who was stopped for drunk driving, or should she have resigned instead?
    08-16-2014 05:18 PM
    Regarding the district attorney, this is what the article has to say:

"Against that backdrop, Travis County Dist. Atty. Rosemary Lehmberg was arrested last year on drunken-driving charges. She turned belligerent after police stopped her, and a videotape of her aggressive behavior in custody was widely circulated in the Texas media.

Perry threatened to veto $7.5 million in funding for the public corruption unit in Lehmberg’s office unless she stepped down, saying he could not support continued funding 'for an office with statewide jurisdiction at a time when the person charged with ultimate responsibility for that unit has lost the public’s confidence.'

Lehmberg served a jail sentence of about three weeks but refused to quit, and Perry followed through on his veto threat."

It begs the question: Was the 3-week jail sentence enough for a district attorney who was stopped for drunk driving, or should she have resigned instead?
    Again not relevant and does it change it was abuse of power.
    Mix that with that same da was looking into perry for other corruption issues.
    This is more what they are making stick on him. Perry is one of the dirtiest out there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    08-16-2014 05:21 PM
    The Veto part is not being question. It the the threat and carrying threw wit the threat. Sadly this is just the tip.
    However, there does not seem to be a consensus on Rick Perry's indictment, even from people who would otherwise oppose him.

Even Liberals Think The Indictment Of Rick Perry Looks Weak -- Business Insider (article link here)

Excerpt: "Several pundits, including former Obama campaign strategist David Axelrod, Clinton and Obama administration alum Jonathan Prince, Vox's Matt Yglesias, and New York Magazine's Jonathan Chait, wrote on Twitter they couldn't see what the big deal was.

'Unless he was demonstrably trying to scrap the ethics unit for other than his stated reason,' Axelrod argued, 'Perry indictment seems pretty sketchy.'

'Have to say Perry indictment seems nuts. Gov has constitutional power to veto. Gov uses power. Grand jury indicts bc they don't like reason?' Prince asked.

'Hard for me to imagine these Rick Perry charges sticking,' Yglesias wrote, adding, 'Does anyone think this Perry indictment makes sense?'

'My *very* preliminary reaction to the Rick Perry news: I don't understand what law he broke,' Chait opined."
    08-16-2014 05:27 PM
    Perry is one of the dirtiest out there.
    Even if Rick Perry were thrown out of office, who would step in his place? Would it just be Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst?
    08-16-2014 05:31 PM
    .....It begs the question: Was the 3-week jail sentence enough for a district attorney who was stopped for drunk driving, or should she have resigned instead?
    Alcoholism is a disease and needs to be treated.

As far as Perry goes, ya he was abusing his power, but I don't think a jury would find him criminally guilty.
    08-16-2014 05:57 PM
    Even if Rick Perry were thrown out of office, who would step in his place? Would it just be Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst?
    Dewhurst is better. Sadly the guy who is running I think is worse.

Perry will finish out his term before this is over but I would like the to make an example out of him and he can rot the next 109 years in jail.

Problem is far to many of our so called leaders are awful. There is a reason why I believe in most cases when a politician dies the world is by far a better place.

08-16-2014 05:59 PM
    Again not relevant and does it change it was abuse of power.
    Doesn't the Texas constitution give the governor the power to veto?
    08-16-2014 06:27 PM
    As far as Perry goes, ya he was abusing his power, but I don't a jury would find him criminally guilty.
    It depends on what evidence they have against Rick Perry. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.
    08-16-2014 06:29 PM
    Perry will finish out his term before this is over but I would like the to make an example out of him and he can rot the next 109 years in jail.
    If Perry does go to jail, can he apply for a pardon the next time a Republican gets elected for president? Maybe he can get out of jail that way... if he ever goes to jail in the first place.
    08-16-2014 06:32 PM
    If Perry does go to jail, can he apply for a pardon the next time a Republican gets elected for president? Maybe he can get out of jail that way... if he ever goes to jail in the first place.
    so he is going to rot there? I am all for it....
    08-16-2014 06:34 PM
    Doesn't the Texas constitution give the governor the power to veto?
    Gives him the right but the catch was he threatened and abused the power to basically try to remove a thorn in his side that was already looking into him for corruption.

He would of then appointed someone of his choosing.

I believe he saw an easy excuse to try to get someone he controlled in office with out going threw the election. If he had said nothing and just cut that part of the budget same thing but it was the very threat part that is the part.

GadgetGator likes this.
    08-16-2014 06:43 PM
    You can almost play all of the soundbites of Perry's reaction to his indictment and make it look like he's reacting to Bohner's lawsuit against Obama.
    08-16-2014 08:50 PM
    Since when is Android Central a political site? Go somewhere else if you want to talk politics please.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    08-16-2014 09:00 PM
    Since when is Android Central a political site? Go somewhere else if you want to talk politics please.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    God I hope this is sarcasm.......

If not, maybe you need to check your settings on how you see thread postings.... Forum >Android Central >Community >The Android Central Lounge > Politics

I put in bold the last and most relevant portion. A politics section in a lot of these subjective forums makes sense when thought out a little more. You don't want these types of discussions to bleed into the other parts of the forum about Android, thus you create a section where people can say what's on their mind and leave the other sections intact.

The best part, if you don't like politics, you can always avoid this section, it's not that difficult. It's kind of like using the ignore feature if you don't like someone's posts.
    sure why not, GadgetGator and A895 like this.
    08-16-2014 11:48 PM
    Governor Oops is good at grandstanding, not so good at actually governing. While I agree the woman should have stepped down, this was not the way to attempt that.

And for him to carry on about this being political when he would have been appointing the replacement is laughable. HE is the one that started making it a political issue. Also would he be so quick to make a similar ultimatum to a fellow Republican? Somehow I doubt it.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-17-2014 02:34 PM
    While I will admit that this seems partisan, the right wing engages in similar tactics so if they want to whine about it, they need to keep in mind that they practice the same kind of politics. The level of his infraction is more the norm than the exception in politics now anyways. If anything, I wish ALL politicians that engage in these types of acts would be prosecuted regardless of their party affiliation.

Having said that, everything I'm hearing about this being the tip of the iceberg, if so then I hope Perry retains himself a good lawyer.
    08-18-2014 06:52 PM
    Gives him the right but the catch was he threatened and abused the power to basically try to remove a thorn in his side that was already looking into him for corruption.
    District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg was arrested for DWI. She had an open bottle of vodka in her car and a blood alcohol level of 0.23. (The legal limit is 0.08.) After her arrest, she was so combative that her jailers had to restrain her by strapping her down to a chair:

Video: Jailers had to restrain Lehmberg -- YouTube

She pleaded guilty, and the court sentenced her to 45 days in jail and fined her $4000.

Furthermore, Texas Local Government Code, Title 3, Subtitle B, Chapter 87 says the following:

Sec. 87.013. GENERAL GROUNDS FOR REMOVAL. (a) An officer may be removed for:
    (1) incompetency;
    (2) official misconduct; or
    (3) intoxication on or off duty caused by drinking an alcoholic beverage.

How is Governor Perry abusing his power when he has the grounds to remove District Attorney Lehmberg according to Texas law?
    08-20-2014 03:29 AM
    District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg was arrested for DWI. She had an open bottle of vodka in her car and a blood alcohol level of 0.23. (The legal limit is 0.08.) After her arrest, she was so combative that her jailers had to restrain her by strapping her down to a chair:

Video: Jailers had to restrain Lehmberg -- YouTube

She pleaded guilty, and the court sentenced her to 45 days in jail and fined her $4000.

Furthermore, Texas Local Government Code, Title 3, Subtitle B, Chapter 87 says the following:

(1) incompetency;

How is Governor Perry abusing his power when he has the grounds to remove District Attorney Lehmberg according to Texas law?
    Again it was not about what she did but how he went about it.
    He used threats to try to make her resign. Very public threats. That is the problem.
    This is also just the tip of the crap perry has done.

08-20-2014 07:24 AM

(1) incompetency;

There are rules for both sides. She obviously broke rules, but he also broke some rules apparently in how he handled it. What you have to wonder, is if there were legal rules in place for dealing with her behavior, why was he so quick to act the way he did? Something tells me it might have to do with some of his dealings that she was investigating. At this point, the damage has already been done. So now we just have to wait and see.
    08-20-2014 12:52 PM
    He used threats to try to make her resign. Very public threats. That is the problem.
    However, we have legal precedent to the contrary.

In State v. Hanson (793 SW 2d 270 - Tex: Court of Appeals, 10th Dist. 1990), the court ruled that "Coercion of a lawful act by a threat of lawful action is protected free expression."

In light of this decision, Governor Perry is allowed to exercise his veto power ("a threat of lawful action") to force District Attorney Lehmberg to resign ("a lawful act") in compliance with Sec. 87.013. Governor Perry is allowed to do this because his action is protected free expression.
    08-20-2014 03:36 PM
    However, we have legal precedent to the contrary.

In State v. Hanson (793 SW 2d 270 - Tex: Court of Appeals, 10th Dist. 1990), the court ruled that "Coercion of a lawful act by a threat of lawful action is protected free expression."

In light of this decision, Governor Perry is allowed to exercise his veto power ("a threat of lawful action") to force District Attorney Lehmberg to resign ("a lawful act") in compliance with Sec. 87.013. Governor Perry is allowed to do this because his action is protected free expression.
    They say it's possible that the Grand Jury was privy to more information than what is released to the public. That being said, it was a GROUP of people that found sufficient reason for him to be indicted. Thus, it makes me think that there's more underneath the surface here.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    08-20-2014 08:43 PM
    They say it's possible that the Grand Jury was privy to more information than what is released to the public.
    Well, that same grand jury helped Rick Perry by throwing out 2 of the 4 charges, bribery and official oppression. So, with no defense at all, Rick Perry was able to beat half of the charges against him. Just imagine what will happen during trial, where the burden of proof is much higher for the prosecution.
    08-21-2014 03:56 PM
94 123 ...