01-22-2015 01:12 PM
36 12
tools
    As some may have noticed I have been absent from Android Central for a while and I have been on reddit (I know, I know).

But I have found some good info there political wise and I participated a bit on iMores politics section as well.

And here is my findings between the 3 sites:

Android Central: a lot more level headed discussion with both sides of the aisle being represented. Best political section by far.

iMore: super right sided. More akin to am Obama sux circlejerk than anything else.

Reddit: now this ones a bit complex. Their political section is one thing. But I was visiting r/conspiracy most of all (I know, I know). And I found some interesting views. Outside of the usual 9/11 was a cover up stuff. I found some more radical views that kind of bordered on anarchy. One person I was just conversating with, wanted to do away with all of government and change the thinking of all humans on the planet (unrealistic) but he had some rooted valid reasons why. This person in particular wanted to end all wars, but the flaw was that the U. S. government was the root of all evil.

All in all I ran into some truly interesting beliefs around the Web. Along with the guy calling the end of government, the most common complaints I found on reddit were with the NSA and the American government.

This is just a short summary of what I found, anything else people want to know feel free to ask. Believe there was more than that.

Posted via the Android Central App
    palandri likes this.
    09-19-2014 06:39 PM
    I pop around to other political sites. It's keeps you on top of all the other views by others. It's a good education. Keep doing it.
    09-20-2014 06:35 AM
    I pop around to other political sites. It's keeps you on top of all the other views by others. It's a good education. Keep doing it.
    I definitely will. I found out some interesting view points. I found out something even more interesting but that's for another post. Need more facts first.

Posted via the Android Central App
    palandri likes this.
    09-20-2014 07:39 AM
    You would get better information from Fox News..just saying
    10-31-2014 01:30 PM
    You would get better information from Fox News..just saying
    I would rather scour the internet for more personal views than watch Fox News....just saying.
    10-31-2014 07:09 PM
    As a female, I'd say this forum is a little too conservative for my taste.
    msndrstood, A895 and palandri like this.
    11-01-2014 06:14 PM
    The forum as a whole or the members? I know when I was on the other android site, they made mention about how nannified this place was. I didn't really expect it to be, but I can see what they mean. I can't really remember why I left that other Android site to be quite honest, but I think it had something to do with their overly conservative way of moderating it.
    11-01-2014 09:31 PM
    I realized that conservatism was the philosophy that best suited me, with its emphasis on individual liberty, personal responsibility, and merit.
    11-03-2014 06:33 AM
    I realized that conservatism was the philosophy that best suited me, with its emphasis on individual liberty, personal responsibility, and merit.
    I used to think that too until I saw things I didn't like, such as conservatives being against gay marriage and wanting their versions of additional laws. That's why I now consider myself more libertarian (which is different than liberal), because they seem to want what you said and tend to not care what goes on socially or behind closed doors as long as everyone involved is a consenting adult and not harming others.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    11-03-2014 11:06 AM
    I used to think that too until I saw things I didn't like, such as conservatives being against gay marriage and wanting their versions of additional laws. That's why I now consider myself more libertarian (which is different than liberal), because they seem to want what you said and tend to not care what goes on socially or behind closed doors as long as everyone involved is a consenting adult and not harming others.
    Conservatism is the antidote to tyranny. It's the only one. It's based on thousands of years of human experience. There is nothing narrow about the conservative philosophy. It's a liberating philosophy. It is a magnificent philosophy. It is a philosophy for the ages, for all times.
    11-03-2014 11:43 AM
    Conservatism is the antidote to tyranny. It's the only one. It's based on thousands of years of human experience. There is nothing narrow about the conservative philosophy. It's a liberating philosophy. It is a magnificent philosophy. It is a philosophy for the ages, for all times.
    I'd beg to differ, but I'd just be repeating what I already posted.
    A895 likes this.
    11-03-2014 02:32 PM
    I have always viewed liberal/conservative and authoritarian/libertarian as 2 different axis on a cartesian plane. You can be both I'd say.

For instance, I do not identify with any group or party, but my views lean conservative and libertarian.

National conservatives have been their own worst enemy for the last 20 years or so. They have gotten drug down by issues (that I do not believe most of them truly care about) in a effort to better relate to the average Joe. A great example of this is the gay marriage issue. I honestly don't believe that most of the big name conservatives strongly care one way or the other, but they believe they need to portray this image of forcing religion into politics in order to appeal to the religious. So they oppose the issue in an effort to keep a strong base. What they should be doing singing the narrative of "we will worry about social issues when our economy is out of the toilet and we are not going trillions in debt every year, etc." But the liberal complex forces the social issues and they feel the need to take a strong stance. Then they never truly established their platform in a relatable fashion.

Sent from my XT1096
    11-03-2014 03:10 PM
    I've been told I'm liberal thinking and conservative acting. In my opinion I would have no problem with people doing anything they wanted as long as it did not infringe on anyone else's rights. If you want to waste your life away on drugs, have at it, but as soon as you pose a threat to someone else's life, then you should be hauled off.

While I don't always practice it, I try to follow one rule and that is to do unto others as I would have them do unto me. I don't think that anyone should be entitled to treatment that is better than anyone else, and question when someone does have a false sense of entitlement.

We're all put on this earth for a very short time and regardless of what you believe happens after this life, there is NOT one single guarantee that there is anything after this life. It's perfectly fine if you believe there is something after this life, but why not make the best of what you know to be true? I honestly think if more people thought the same way that the status quo would be under greater scrutiny. It's no wonder to me that some of the poorest, most downtrodden people on this planet are some of the most religious. They have to hope there's something better than this life, and for their sake, sometimes I would be perfectly ok if there actually is something after this life that fills their spirit with all the wonder and fulfillment they seek.
    msndrstood and nolittdroid like this.
    11-03-2014 07:29 PM
    It's an Abomination!
    11-04-2014 09:23 AM
    Is there a way to attract people with other viewpoints and have them participate in the forums?
    11-04-2014 03:05 PM
    Is there a way to attract people with other viewpoints and have them participate in the forums?
    Offer them candy?!?!?!?!
    A895 likes this.
    11-04-2014 06:37 PM
    I, too, have been out of the action on AC for awhile. I needed a break. I read a lot as some of you know, but I find the most interesting views in the comments section of the articles I read everyday.

What I've learned....

-There is no changing anyone's mind about politics, religion or any of the varied social issues.

-For my own sanity, I now distance my emotions from these issues on all social media sites, it's not worth the aggravation trying to talk sense into most people that refuse to see any way but 'their' way.

-I have missed some here at AC, so I usually just drop in to make sure everyone I care about is still kicking. 👍😊

via The Note 4
    palandri, A895 and nolittdroid like this.
    11-11-2014 12:17 PM
    I, too, have been out of the action on AC for awhile. I needed a break. I read a lot as some of you know, but I find the most interesting views in the comments section of the articles I read everyday.

What I've learned....

-There is no changing anyone's mind about politics, religion or any of the varied social issues.

-For my own sanity, I now distance my emotions from these issues on all social media sites, it's not worth the aggravation trying to talk sense into most people that refuse to see any way but 'their' way.

-I have missed some here at AC, so I usually just drop in to make sure everyone I care about is still kicking.

via The Note 4
    While there's no changing peoples' minds, don't let those people keep you quiet or drive you away. Different points of view are just that "different".

I work with a guy that's a true red koolaid drinker and I've had to tell him on a couple of occasions that when we have discussions and he wants to elevate his voice or he tries to speak over me after I've let him speak, that our little discussions will stop. For some reason that's where we are now when it comes to discussing anything that is on the news, shouting the loudest = winning the argument. Don't let your voice go unheard. My feeling is that is probably what happened last week for a lot of people (66% from last I heard).
    palandri and A895 like this.
    11-11-2014 09:50 PM
    It's not really about changing other people's minds, but helping them change their own. Some people can turn their whole mindset around.

For example, Norma McCorvey used to be pro-choice, but now she's pro-life. Why is she significant? McCorvey was Jane Roe in the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court case.

I was surprised to hear that she made a complete turnaround, but she says that that is what she truly believes after giving the issue careful consideration.

If she can change her mind, I'm sure other people can do so as well, on any issue. For example, maybe some people used to be against gay marriage, but they changed their mind once they found out one of their family members is gay. Other people may have been against marijuana, but now support its legalization because it helped someone undergoing cancer treatments.
    11-12-2014 04:42 PM
    The main thing I don't get is, take all the issues that divide the two parties..there really is no correlation between a lot of them. Why does everyone who is pro-choice have to also be for more gov't programs or vice versa? Partisans obviously think backwards in a "tell me which side is left/right and I'll rationalize my team" sort of way and it makes politics unbearable to me.

I would say I come down on the left on more things than not: Abortion, gun control, climate change, drug war, gay marriage, even taxes...
    I just cannot stand how PC they are at the expense of facts.
    When Bill Maher makes fun of republicans for being the anti-science party when discussing global warming I agree with him.
    But then when the discussion turns sociological, like the importance of in-tact family and fathers; or the $.72/$1.00 gender earnings garbage stat (which every respectable economist has debunked) all of the sudden him and his audience full of Hollywood clapping seals want nothing to do with hard empirical data when it's not convenient for their agenda. Bleh.

[/rant]
    11-13-2014 10:46 AM
    The main thing I don't get is, take all the issues that divide the two parties..there really is no correlation between a lot of them. Why does everyone who is pro-choice have to also be for more gov't programs or vice versa? Partisans obviously think backwards in a "tell me which side is left/right and I'll rationalize my team" sort of way and it makes politics unbearable to me.

I would say I come down on the left on more things than not: Abortion, gun control, climate change, drug war, gay marriage, even taxes...
    I just cannot stand how PC they are at the expense of facts.
    When Bill Maher makes fun of republicans for being the anti-science party when discussing global warming I agree with him.
    But then when the discussion turns sociological, like the importance of in-tact family and fathers; or the $.72/$1.00 gender earnings garbage stat (which every respectable economist has debunked) all of the sudden him and his audience full of Hollywood clapping seals want nothing to do with hard empirical data when it's not convenient for their agenda. Bleh.

[/rant]

To me I find that I disagree more with the GOP than I agree with the Democrats. Abortion for instance, I don't think it's moral, but I also don't believe with the GOP's hardline approach to it. There are some instances where it needs to be considered, although I don't believe it should be considered if you were just too lazy and couldn't control your urges long enough to practice safe sex.

The other thing I disagree with the GOP that have a lot of people on the right fooled is government regulation. If the GOP had it their way, they would strip all government regulations and let businesses enslave us all. While I don't believe that we need more regulation, as the democrats do, I do think we need to tighten regulations that are already in place (especially banking regulations that were loosened and led us to the meltdown in 2008).

What makes me laugh is when you have someone that's not a business owner, (nor part of the class that would benefit from it) scream about how the government regulations need to be stripped. Those people tend to be the most easily manipulated and make me realize why our middle class is in the condition its in. When you have people that would be in the middle class voting against their own best interest, you get exactly what we have, the rich getting richer, and the rest of the country left to fend for themselves.
    A895, palandri and grover5 like this.
    11-13-2014 10:44 PM
    I took a break from politics on Reddit. r/conspiracy is just to anarchist for my tastes. They want nothing less than government being taken down. Some even suggested we go BACK to the bartering system and get rid of money.

I can't take that much crazy all the time.
    palandri likes this.
    11-14-2014 06:14 PM
    Some even suggested we go BACK to the bartering system and get rid of money. ...
    I knew a guy that did that many years ago.
    11-14-2014 09:57 PM
    I knew a guy that did that many years ago.
    I don't understand how people think that works in the present world.

People on r/conspiracy think the world is run by Jew elites who are pedophiles (no joke, this was a thread there a day or so ago). They think the world is all doom and gloom and everyone is sleeping unaware what is going on with the world. They believe the dumbest most outlandish things with the least amount of evidence.

Its insane how some think. I can honestly picture people wearing tinfoil hats browsing Reddit through 50 VPN Proxies.

People who think extreme righties are bad need to see r/conspiracy. This is literally hundreds to thousands of people who think like this.
    palandri likes this.
    11-14-2014 10:06 PM
    I don't understand how people think that works in the present world.

People on r/conspiracy think the world is run by Jew elites who are pedophiles (no joke, this was a thread there a day or so ago). They think the world is all doom and gloom and everyone is sleeping unaware what is going on with the world. They believe the dumbest most outlandish things with the least amount of evidence.

Its insane how some think. I can honestly picture people wearing tinfoil hats browsing Reddit through 50 VPN Proxies.

People who think extreme righties are bad need to see r/conspiracy. This is literally hundreds to thousands of people who think like this.
    Go to a Tea Party forum and you'll see the same crazy conspiracies.
    A895 likes this.
    11-14-2014 10:45 PM
36 12