01-22-2015 07:13 PM
30 12
tools
    The director of the Secret Service testified Tuesday, 16 people have climbed over the White House fence in the past five years, including six this year.

The agents didn't shoot Omar Gonzalez because they "apparently concluded that he was not armed and did not appear to be carrying anything that might contain explosives," reported The New York Times.

If I was a Secret Service agent protecting the White House and a guy jumps the fence and gets by a guard and enters the White House, I would have pulled the trigger and asked questions later. This guy could of had an explosive device in his underwear.

I understand why the Secret Service is being questioned by Congress.
    msndrstood likes this.
    09-30-2014 10:37 PM
    Things like this show me how stupid the general public is.

They scream every time a cop shoots someone screams excessive force. Now on the flip side they did not use any extra force and they scream NOT ENOUGH force. I can bet money if they shot the guy it would be all over the news on Secret going gun crazy.

I have a bad feeling that this will turn into yet another standard GOP lets bash the president and be their standard SOP lately.
    palandri likes this.
    10-01-2014 10:31 AM
    The minute they hop the fence you pick them off like you're at a carnival. I'm not talking aim for the knee, I'm talking "BOOM HEADSHOT". Whether you like the current POTUS or not, the institution must be protected to the highest standard. If someone hops the fence, plows past a guard and blows up 1/4 of the white house with a bomb, it looks REALLY bad.
    10-01-2014 11:37 AM
    There is a difference between use of force in regards to a local PD and what is required to protect the POTUS and the White House.
    GadgetGator and msndrstood like this.
    10-01-2014 11:39 AM
    ....I have a bad feeling that this will turn into yet another standard GOP lets bash the president and be their standard SOP lately.
    The GOP is already doing that. They are all saying, its a lack of leadership. They should turn that around and ask the GOP why they didn't discover this earlier and call it a lack of leadership by the GOP.

They obviously need to make improvements to the fence around the White House, since 16 people have climbed over the White House fence in the past five years, including six this year. I am sure they could do something that would be aesthetically pleasing, like add another 4 feet to the top with razor sharp edges.

I didn't hear anyone ask how often they perform drills. When I was on ship in the military, they ran drills all the time, battle stations, dog zebra, fire, man overboard...etc...It kept everyone on their toes. You have x amount of seconds to perform each drill.
    10-01-2014 12:13 PM
    The GOP is already doing that. They are all saying, its a lack of leadership. They should turn that around and ask the GOP why they didn't discover this earlier and call it a lack of leadership by the GOP.

They obviously need to make improvements to the fence around the White House, since 16 people have climbed over the White House fence in the past five years, including six this year. I am sure they could do something that would be aesthetically pleasing, like add another 4 feet to the top with razor sharp edges.

I didn't hear anyone ask how often they perform drills. When I was on ship in the military, they ran drills all the time, battle stations, dog zebra, fire, man overboard...etc...It kept everyone on their toes. You have x amount of seconds to perform each drill.

Who's bashing the president over this? The president doesn't have a say so in security protocols. Anyone blaming the President for this is an *****. You can question his pick for Director, but it's not up to him to secure the perimeter.
    10-01-2014 12:21 PM
    Things like this show me how stupid the general public is.

I have a bad feeling that this will turn into yet another standard GOP lets bash the president and be their standard SOP lately.
    Seriously?

Anyway, if someone breaks into my house I will use whatever force is necessary on a per incident basis to protect my family first then my property. I would not expect any less from the secret service in the performance of their duty to protect the president. It doesn't matter if he is a Democrat or a Republican.
    GadgetGator and rexxman like this.
    10-02-2014 10:11 AM
    I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist on this one. My theory is that after they replaced the director for the whole prostitution flap back a few years ago, since they replaced the position with a woman, she took the prostitution allegations serious. Members of the secret service probably didn't like the idea of being managed by a woman and thus these lapses under her watch were meant to run her out. Now I'm not saying this is what happen, but I can see something like this taking place. It seems extremely odd that we'd have all these lapses in security just after she was instated. I sure hope that the secret service agents who let these lapse in judgement happen are also released. There's no way that the director should be the only person to lose her job.
    10-02-2014 05:17 PM
    Or that her hiring was a PC knee jerk reaction to said scandal that put someone who wasn't qualified in a position she had no business being in simply because she was a female. When it comes to national security, competence should come before quota.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    10-03-2014 11:42 AM
    I say shoot em. Anyone that hops that fence does not belong there and likely does not have good intentions either.

And why in the hell is the front door not on a keypad lock system? Geez....even the local fast food place down the street has that for their kitchen door.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-03-2014 01:42 PM
    Or that her hiring was a PC knee jerk reaction to said scandal that put someone who wasn't qualified in a position she had no business being in simply because she was a female. When it comes to national security, competence should come before quota.
    Does that go for the NFL as well? Roger Goodell names four women to address domestic violence, social issues for NFL - The Washington Post
    10-03-2014 04:44 PM
    One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
    10-03-2014 04:55 PM
    One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
    They're both PR moves at damage control.
    10-03-2014 11:54 PM
    They're both PR moves at damage control.

The NFL has nothing to do with national security, I was pretty clear. The NFL wants to make a token gesture that's their business, no one gives a rip.
    10-06-2014 12:12 PM
    no one gives a rip.
    I disagree!

10-07-2014 10:50 PM
    Members of the secret service probably didn't like the idea of being managed by a woman and thus these lapses under her watch were meant to run her out.
    Was it proper for Obama to accept the resignation, or should he have gone after the bad agents instead and kept Julia Pierson as director of the Secret Service?
    10-10-2014 11:15 PM
    Was it proper for Obama to accept the resignation, or should he have gone after the bad agents instead and kept Julia Pierson as director of the Secret Service?
    She seemed indifferent and disengaged from her role, and even a little flippant in the hearings. My guess is that maybe she got tired of people trying to force her out and just gave up. When someone is trying to force you out, sometimes you just get to a point where you've decided that it's not worth the headaches. This is what tends to happen to people when they try to break in to the "good ole boy" network. I'm sure Obama knows what that's about.

I personally don't mind having a woman in charge. For some reason though, some men think it's a direct assault on their masculinity. I would imagine a group like the secret service to be somewhat of a meat-head crowd with neanderthal-like egos. I can see them having issue with a female in charge. If I were Obama, I'd not only replace her with a woman, but a BLACK woman, and I'd bring in my own group of hand-picked secret service agents (hopefully he doesn't go all black because then that would really get some people talking).
    10-11-2014 09:18 AM
    I would imagine a group like the secret service to be somewhat of a meat-head crowd with neanderthal-like egos.
    Shouldn't we demand more professionalism from the people we trust to protect the President?
    10-11-2014 11:52 AM
    Shouldn't we demand more professionalism from the people we trust to protect the President?
    You mean like by making sure they're not cohorting with prostitutes while on duty? It would be nice wouldn't it?
    10-11-2014 12:00 PM
    You mean like by making sure they're not cohorting with prostitutes while on duty? It would be nice wouldn't it?
    Yes, it would be nice if members of the Secret Service did not engage in illegal activities, both on and off duty. I suppose you could say that about anyone, though.

Given the situation as it stands now, have the corrupt agents won this round? If they wanted to get rid of Julia Pierson, they've certainly accomplished that.

Even Senator Chuck Schumer (a Democrat) from New York called for Pierson to resign. Maybe he is in league with the agents?
    10-11-2014 12:42 PM
    Yes, it would be nice if members of the Secret Service did not engage in illegal activities, both on and off duty. I suppose you could say that about anyone, though.
    I can confirm this. There's quite a lot more civil servants including law enforcement and military who use vices than people outside of those circles would normally think. I'm not saying it's rampant or anything like that but it's there.
    10-11-2014 03:36 PM

Given the situation as it stands now, have the corrupt agents won this round? If they wanted to get rid of Julia Pierson, they've certainly accomplished that.

Even Senator Chuck Schumer (a Democrat) from New York called for Pierson to resign. Maybe he is in league with the agents?
    Being in league with them and judging from an outsider looking in are two different things. I've seen instances where if a team wants to get rid of their leadership bad enough, they'll do whatever necessary. Top officials will only judge based on what they can see, which is sadly all they can go by. I think what ultimately sealed her fate was how she wasn't as forthright with all the breaches and the severity of the breaches.
    10-11-2014 04:28 PM
    In one modern western country, the head of state came at the intruder while wearing his pajamas with a statue off the mantle and bashed them on the head
    I'm guessing there were some embarrassed members on the security detail that night.
    10-12-2014 09:45 PM
    Top officials will only judge based on what they can see, which is sadly all they can go by.
    Do you think the corrupt Secret Service agents somehow manipulated Senator Chuck Schumer into calling for Julia Pierson's resignation?

Furthermore, would you agree that it would have been more appropriate for Schumer to call for an internal investigation into the security breaches first, then call for Pierson's resignation if the findings point to her as being responsible?
    10-15-2014 12:12 PM
    Do you think the corrupt Secret Service agents somehow manipulated Senator Chuck Schumer into calling for Julia Pierson's resignation?

Furthermore, would you agree that it would have been more appropriate for Schumer to call for an internal investigation into the security breaches first, then call for Pierson's resignation if the findings point to her as being responsible?
    All politicians are looking for that soundbite that makes them look hawkish on TV. How long did she even remain at the top post? I personally think they wanted her out from the start.
    10-15-2014 06:40 PM
30 12