03-22-2016 08:13 PM
237 1234 ...
tools
    ...and they do that with religion to make a person believe they will be all powerful, thus delusions of grandeur
    The article I cited drew a comparison to pedophilia victims. I doubt they feel all powerful or have delusions of grandeur.
    10-29-2014 10:55 AM
    Science is key!
    Science can be used for good or evil. It depends on the conscience and morality of the people who use it.
    10-29-2014 10:58 AM
    The article I cited drew a comparison to pedophilia victims. I doubt they feel all powerful or have delusions of grandeur.
    Then you must not have watched the video I posted.
    10-29-2014 01:13 PM
    Science can be used for good or evil. It depends on the conscience and morality of the people who use it.
    You missed my point.
    10-29-2014 01:14 PM
    Then you must not have watched the video I posted.
    Mere bravado is not the same thing as a delusions of grandeur.
    10-29-2014 01:25 PM
    You missed my point.
    You said science is key. I'm just cautioning you on the doors it can open.
    10-29-2014 01:27 PM
    Mere bravado is not the same thing as a delusions of grandeur.
    That's how you see it. That's not how I see it from the video..
    10-29-2014 01:41 PM
    You said science is key. I'm just cautioning you on the doors it can open.
    I don't believe in gremlins or evil spirits so the door that science opens doesn't scare me.
    A895 likes this.
    10-29-2014 01:43 PM
    That's how you see it. That's not how I see it from the video..
    This is why I cited Professor Greg Barton from Monash University. He is an expert on home-grown terrorists in Australia. I'm certain that if Elmir was experiencing a delusion of grandeur, he would have mentioned it.
    10-29-2014 01:58 PM
    This is why I cited Professor Greg Barton from Monash University. He is an expert on home-grown terrorists in Australia. I'm certain that if Elmir was experiencing a delusion of grandeur, he would have mentioned it.
    LOL! That's an opinion, which is all anyone can give.
    10-29-2014 02:15 PM
    LOL! That's an opinion, which is all anyone can give.
    However, we value the opinions of experts more than that of lay people. This is why courts will call on experts to testify. The opinions of experts hold more weight.
    10-29-2014 02:22 PM
    However, we value the opinions of experts more than that of lay people. This is why courts will call on experts to testify. The opinions of experts hold more weight.
    .. and you can get two experts in court that totally disagree on the modus operandi.

Secondly, you have no idea whether or not he sees or doesn't see delusions of grandeur in their behavior, because you have never talked to him. All you're going by is, well he didn't mention it.
    A895 likes this.
    10-29-2014 02:34 PM
    .. and you can get two experts in court that totally disagree on the modus operandi.

Secondly, you have no idea whether or not he sees or doesn't see delusions of grandeur in their behavior, because you have never talked to him. All you're going by is, well he didn't mention it.
    Which is why it's very telling that you haven't cited even a single expert of your own to dispute mine.

I didn't talk to Professor Barton, but Jonathan Pearlman, the writer of the article, did. Therefore, I would rely on Mr. Pearlman's reporting. If Barton and Pearlman don't mention anything about delusions of grandeur, then I think it's reasonable to believe that it's not involved in Elmir's situation.
    10-29-2014 02:55 PM
    Which is why it's very telling that you haven't cited even a single expert of your own to dispute mine....
    That wasn't the idea behind my post.
    10-29-2014 03:39 PM
    That wasn't the idea behind my post.
    The point still stands. You are merely offering your opinion. I am citing a person whose job is to study terrorist groups.

Given the choice, I'd rather believe the person who is a professional in this field, Professor Barton. I don't think that's unreasonable.
    10-29-2014 03:50 PM
    ISIS gets over a million dollars a day in revenue. They know a little about what they are doing. We should wake up.
    What course of action would you suggest to handle ISIS?
    10-29-2014 04:07 PM
    ... You are merely offering your opinion.....
    LOL! So is he.
    10-29-2014 05:28 PM
    LOL! So is he.
    From looking at Professor Greg Barton's researcher profile, I think it makes sense to give his opinion more weight:

"He is acting Director of the Centre for Islam and the Modern World (CIMOW), Deputy UNESCO Chair in Interreligious and Intercultural Relations – Asia Pacific, and is active in the Global Terrorism Research Centre (GTReC). For the past twenty years Greg has been active in inter-faith dialogue initiatives and has a deep commitment to building understanding of Islam and Muslim society. The central axis of his research interests is the way in which religious thought, individual believers and religious communities respond to modernity and to the modern nation state. He also has a strong general interest in comparative international politics."
    10-29-2014 05:49 PM
    From looking at Professor Greg Barton's researcher profile, I think it makes sense to give his opinion more weight:

"He is acting Director of the Centre for Islam and the Modern World (CIMOW), Deputy UNESCO Chair in Interreligious and Intercultural Relations – Asia Pacific, and is active in the Global Terrorism Research Centre (GTReC). For the past twenty years Greg has been active in inter-faith dialogue initiatives and has a deep commitment to building understanding of Islam and Muslim society. The central axis of his research interests is the way in which religious thought, individual believers and religious communities respond to modernity and to the modern nation state. He also has a strong general interest in comparative international politics."
    His PhD thesis at Monash in the early 1990s examined the emergence of liberal Islamic thought in the 1970s and 80s in the political context of the Suharto regime.

He sounds more like a theologist to me, when delusions of grandeur deals with psychology.

https://uk.screen.yahoo.com/sky-news...095508980.html
    A895 likes this.
    10-29-2014 09:41 PM
    His PhD thesis at Monash in the early 1990s examined the emergence of liberal Islamic thought in the 1970s and 80s in the political context of the Suharto regime.

He sounds more like a theologist to me, when delusions of grandeur deals with psychology.
    Professor Barton is also involved in the Global Terrorism Research Centre, which is a multidisciplinary institution that includes behavioral studies:

"The Global Terrorism Research Centre (GTReC) emerged out of the multidisciplinary Global Terrorism Research Unit, which formed in 2002, and was officially established in 2006 with seed funding from the Department of Premier and Cabinet, State Government of Victoria, as a part of its $5.6 million counter-terrorism initiative. GTReC is established across two Victorian campuses (Caulfield and Clayton), comprises members of three Faculties (Arts, Law and Medicine), and representatives from three disciplines within the Arts Faculty’s School of Political and Social Inquiry (Politics, Sociology and Behavioural Studies)."
    10-29-2014 09:58 PM
    What course of action would you suggest to handle ISIS?
    Let the people who actually live in that region take care of their own problems and let the United States focus on themselves. We on't need to be over there really, all we are doing by being over there is reinforcing the idea that the U.S. is the international bully policing the world. We shouldn't have meddle in the middle east all the time. Until ISIS proves they are a significant threat to the United States (which they really have not), I don't see a reason to indulge their penchant for chaos and anarchy.
    palandri likes this.
    10-30-2014 09:45 AM
    Let the people who actually live in that region take care of their own problems and let the United States focus on themselves.
    President Obama is the commander-in-chief. Do you disagree with the following statement he made?

"I have made it clear that we will hunt down terrorists who threaten our country, wherever they are," he said. "That means I will not hesitate to take action against ISIL in Syria, as well as Iraq. This is a core principle of my presidency: if you threaten America, you will find no safe haven." (September 10, 2014)
    10-30-2014 11:32 AM
    That's what gets me about some people, they are perfectly fine labeling things as "evil" if it goes against their belief system.
    What word should people use instead of "evil" when describing things that go against their belief system?
    10-30-2014 11:39 AM
    President Obama is the commander-in-chief. Do you disagree with the following statement he made?

"I have made it clear that we will hunt down terrorists who threaten our country, wherever they are," he said. "That means I will not hesitate to take action against ISIL in Syria, as well as Iraq. This is a core principle of my presidency: if you threaten America, you will find no safe haven." (September 10, 2014)
    They threatened but have not given any solid evidence they pose any significant threat to the security of our country.
    palandri likes this.
    10-30-2014 05:51 PM
    What word should people use instead of "evil" when describing things that go against their belief system?
    Something that isn't evil. I am pretty sure there is another word to use. Evil seems like something out of comic book or a cartoon.
    10-30-2014 05:53 PM
237 1234 ...