03-22-2016 08:13 PM
237 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I know about this. Non combat roles supposedly. We will see about that.
    Well, if American forces do not fight ISIS, perhaps the French will in response to the Charlie Hebdo shooting.

The Independent -- France prepares to fight back: Defence minister says Isis' international army must be wiped out (article link)

Excerpts:

France’s defence minister has vowed that Isis must be “wiped out” as the country mounts its response to three days of terror attacks.

An Isis-inspired gunman was among the three extremists who carried out co-ordinated atrocities that left 17 people dead in Paris.

Amedy Coulibaly, who killed four hostages at a kosher supermarket a day after shooting a police officer dead, had pledged allegiance to Isis, while Charlie Hebdo gunmen Said and Cherif Kouachi claimed to represent al-Qaeda in Yemen.

Following the US, France has the largest number of planes and troops involved in the coalition fighting Isis, which last year took control of large swathes of Iraq and Syria.
    01-13-2015 02:05 PM
    Islamic State threatens two Japanese captives in video

(Reuters) - The militant group Islamic State released an online video on Tuesday purporting to show two Japanese captives and threatening to kill them unless it received $200 million in ransom....
    Islamic State threatens two Japanese captives in video | Reuters

Maybe it's time to send a coalition in.
    A895 likes this.
    01-20-2015 07:20 AM
    Islamic State threatens two Japanese captives in video

(Reuters) - The militant group Islamic State released an online video on Tuesday purporting to show two Japanese captives and threatening to kill them unless it received $200 million in ransom....
    Islamic State threatens two Japanese captives in video | Reuters

Maybe it's time to just carpet bomb the MF'ers. From Fallujah to Mosul and everything west to the Syrian border. Then lets talk about hammering northern Syria. To heck with targeted pin point hits, I'm talking about giving them no where to run and no moment to breath. As if the sky is raining death upon them.
    01-20-2015 10:43 AM
    I don't think Japan can legally deploy troops for combat operations overseas. Japan only has a force for self-defense. This policy has been in place since the end of World War II.

However, France is already sending its aircraft carrier (the Charles de Gaulle) into the region.

IHS Jane's 360 -- Charles de Gaulle to sail for Gulf, possible participation in Islamic State air strikes (article link)
    palandri and A895 like this.
    01-20-2015 03:42 PM
    I don't think Japan can legally deploy troops for combat operations overseas. Japan only has a force for self-defense. This policy has been in place since the end of World War II.

However, France is already sending its aircraft carrier (the Charles de Gaulle) into the region.

IHS Jane's 360 -- Charles de Gaulle to sail for Gulf, possible participation in Islamic State air strikes (article link)
    It will be interesting to see what the response from Japan is. They have 72 hours to decide. Covert operation, that's not a combat mission? Pay the ransom, but have a GPS built into suitcase lock?
    Scott7217 likes this.
    01-20-2015 05:14 PM
    It will be interesting to see what the response from Japan is. They have 72 hours to decide. Covert operation, that's not a combat mission? Pay the ransom, but have a GPS built into suitcase lock?
    If I was Japan, I would do a covert mission.

Posted via the Android Central App
    palandri and Scott7217 like this.
    01-21-2015 09:16 AM
    If I was Japan, I would do a covert mission.

Dude, where ya been?
    01-21-2015 01:32 PM
    Dude, where ya been?
    My semester started last week, so I have been busy.

01-22-2015 07:14 AM
    Did the Japanese government make a decision? The last I heard was that they weren't going to pay the ransom.
    01-22-2015 07:31 PM
    Online post claims 1 Japanese ISIS hostage killed; new demand made

(CNN)One of ISIS' two Japanese hostages has been killed after a deadline for ransom passed, and the terror group has issued a new demand for the other's freedom -- a prisoner exchange -- an image and audio posted online Saturday by a known ISIS supporter purport to show.

A static image shows what appears to be surviving Japanese hostage Kenji Goto, alone, in handcuffs and dressed in orange, holding a photo of what appears to be beheaded compatriot Haruna Yukawa....

Online post claims 1 Japanese ISIS hostage killed; new demand made - CNN.com
    Scott7217 likes this.
    01-24-2015 11:03 AM
    How many suitcases would you need to hold $200 million in ransom?

Then there's always the issue about paying terrorists to release hostages. Wouldn't that just encourage more kidnapping?
    01-26-2015 10:20 PM
    So the Jordanian pilot was burned alive (the images are rather graphic). Earlier Jordan came out and issued a statement that read "Kill our pilot and we’ll execute all our Isis prisoners." Don't hang them in Jordan. Put them all in a plane including the woman suicide bomber they wanted in exchange, head on over to northern Syria/Iraq and start dumping them out from 10,000ft up.
    JnEricsonx likes this.
    02-03-2015 12:29 PM
    So the Jordanian pilot was burned alive (the images are rather graphic). Earlier Jordan came out and issued a statement that read "Kill our pilot and we’ll execute all our Isis prisoners." Don't hang them in Jordan. Put them all in a plane including the woman suicide bomber they wanted in exchange, head on over to northern Syria/Iraq and start dumping them out from 10,000ft up.
    Sure, lets give them a bigger recruiting tool.....
    A895 likes this.
    02-03-2015 01:23 PM
    You really think they need a reason to act like barbarians? Right, maybe Jordan can send them a nice care package. An assortment of meats and cheeses, maybe some mixed nuts. That may be the olive branch they're looking for. lol
    Scott7217 likes this.
    02-03-2015 01:43 PM
    You really think they need a reason to act like barbarians? Right, maybe Jordan can send them a nice care package. An assortment of meats and cheeses, maybe some mixed nuts. That may be the olive branch they're looking for. lol
    As opposed to your plan, to out "barbarian" them?
    A895 likes this.
    02-03-2015 02:34 PM
    So the Jordanian pilot was burned alive (the images are rather graphic). Earlier Jordan came out and issued a statement that read "Kill our pilot and we’ll execute all our Isis prisoners." Don't hang them in Jordan.
    Hanging is the legal method of execution in Jordan. It ended an 8-year moratorium on the death penalty last December. Japan also uses hanging, so that would be an acceptable punishment in response to the deaths of Haruna Yukawa and Kenji Goto.

From what I understand, Moath al-Kasasbeh, the Jordanian pilot, was already dead when ISIS was negotiating a prisoner swap. So when Jordan asked for proof of life, ISIS obviously couldn't provide anything.

The last I heard was that Jordan will hang Sajida al-Rishawi, an Iraqi suicide bomber. Jordan will carry out her execution at dawn.
    02-03-2015 07:11 PM
    They need a reason to recruit more people who already sympathize or hear about ISIL. We have to be better than ISIS (all countries) not stopped down to their level. Once an enemy know all they have to do is lop one head off to get extreme reactions, how do you not know they can use our feelings against us?

They need to know we are better than them and that what they do is irrelevant.

02-04-2015 05:29 AM
    They need a reason to recruit more people who already sympathize or hear about ISIL. We have to be better than ISIS (all countries) not stopped down to their level. Once an enemy know all they have to do is lop one head off to get extreme reactions, how do you not know they can use our feelings against us?

They need to know we are better than them and that what they do is irrelevant.

Beheading videos are recruiting tools, this video is a recruiting tool, our mere presence in Saudi Arabia is a recruiting tool. If you think taking the moral high ground with a group of barbarians who think this is the 7th century is the answer then we should just pack up shop and let them do whatever they want. It's hard to run with the moral high ground argument when dealing with a collective group of people who have no issues dying for their believed cause. Do you think they're worried about facing charges of war crimes or crimes against humanity? Probably not I would guess. As far as our feelings getting the best of us, we don't need their acts for that to occur, we're already there. We have politicians calling the shots who don't have the intestinal fortitude to do what should be done.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    02-04-2015 11:05 AM
    Would it make sense to shut down the social media sites (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) that ISIS uses for recruitment?
    02-04-2015 12:02 PM
    Would it make sense to shut down the social media sites (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) that ISIS uses for recruitment?
    How hard is it to start a new social media account? You'd have someone playing whack-a-mole all day on a computer, 24/7.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    02-04-2015 12:09 PM
    Have I ever mentioned how insanely retarded the human being is?
    02-04-2015 12:13 PM

Why shut it down? It makes it easier for big brother to see what's going on. Even insurance companies are looking at Social Media these days.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/insura...n-social-media
    A895 likes this.
    02-04-2015 03:59 PM
    How hard is it to start a new social media account? You'd have someone playing whack-a-mole all day on a computer, 24/7.
    That's a good point. It would be extremely difficult to close one social media account if ISIS can make hundreds of accounts instantly.

In any case, Jordan is taking a different route by launching airstrikes against ISIS. Perhaps the execution of one Jordanian pilot will achieve what the rape and torture of hundreds of women and girls could not: increase military action against ISIS.

CNN -- Jordan unleashes wrath on ISIS: 'This is just the beginning' (website link)
    02-05-2015 06:33 PM
    Why shut it down? It makes it easier for big brother to see what's going on.
    So, what is your opinion on Fox News on posting the unedited video of Lt. Muath al-Kaseasbeh's (the Jordanian pilot) execution at the hands of ISIS?

Other news sites have refused to show the video. Is Fox News doing the right thing?
    02-05-2015 06:39 PM
    So, what is your opinion on Fox News on posting the unedited video of Lt. Muath al-Kaseasbeh's (the Jordanian pilot) execution at the hands of ISIS?

Other news sites have refused to show the video. Is Fox News doing the right thing?
    Well they push the GOP agenda and the GOP is full of chicken hawks so I can see them pushing that agenda. It also lets them push their BS narrative that Obama is some sort of uber-coward because he didn't send an aircraft carrier and dress up in a flight suit like Dubya and proclaim a false victory.....
    02-05-2015 08:01 PM
237 ... 45678 ...