03-22-2016 08:13 PM
237 123 ...
tools
    This video should be in every psychology class as a perfect example of Delusions Of Grandeur.

10-22-2014 10:32 AM
    ISIS has no clue what they are doing. They are just causing chaos however they can.

Posted via the Android Central App
    palandri, mingqlin and Rich F2 like this.
    10-22-2014 07:34 PM
    I long for the day where religion no longer exists in the world.
    10-23-2014 05:57 PM
    I long for the day for when people are intelligent enough to recognize that there will always be evil people that will be able to convince others to follow them, and that blindly blaming the world's problems on the excuse some of those evil people use is idiotic.

Sent from my XT1096
    10-23-2014 07:53 PM
    Science is key!
    10-23-2014 10:58 PM
    I long for the day for when people are intelligent enough to recognize that there will always be evil people that will be able to convince others to follow them, and that blindly blaming the world's problems on the excuse some of those evil people use is idiotic.

Sent from my XT1096
    Do you think people are born evil? or do they learn to be evil?
    A895 likes this.
    10-23-2014 10:58 PM
    ISIS gets over a million dollars a day in revenue. They know a little about what they are doing. We should wake up.
    mingqlin, UJ95x and Scott7217 like this.
    10-24-2014 12:06 AM

Sent from my XT1096
    That's what gets me about some people, they are perfectly fine labeling things as "evil" if it goes against their belief system. The extremist Muslims think Americans are evil, the abortion clinic bombers think abortion clinic workers are evil (even though his/her act is more evil), the Kansas Westboro baptist church thinks we're evil and thus protest at soldiers' funerals. Hell, I think corporations that dump pollution into our environment are evil even though you have the entire right-wing insisting that they need less regulatory acts that prevent them from dumping even MORE pollutants into our environment.

Here's the exact definition

e·vil
    ˈēvəl/Submit
    adjective
    profoundly immoral and malevolent.
    I can think of several large companies, some religious entities, and some politicians that fit this description.
    A895 likes this.
    10-24-2014 04:53 AM
    ISIS gets over a million dollars a day in revenue. They know a little about what they are doing. We should wake up.
    I have read the same thing. You would think it would be easier to cut the money off. I am sure they are not carrying the money around. Cut off the banks they are using, cut off the oil they are selling, seize tankers carrying stolen oil. Something like that.
    A895 likes this.
    10-24-2014 09:57 AM
    That's what gets me about some people, they are perfectly fine labeling things as "evil" if it goes against their belief system. The extremist Muslims think Americans are evil, the abortion clinic bombers think abortion clinic workers are evil (even though his/her act is more evil), the Kansas Westboro baptist church thinks we're evil and thus protest at soldiers' funerals. Hell, I think corporations that dump pollution into our environment are evil even though you have the entire right-wing insisting that they need less regulatory acts that prevent them from dumping even MORE pollutants into our environment.

Here's the exact definition

I can think of several large companies, some religious entities, and some politicians that fit this description.
    To me, the word evil seems to have a spiritual spookiness attached to it, rather than looking at facts. Which is one of the reasons why I try not to use it.
    10-24-2014 10:01 AM
    While I have never personally encountered someone like this, I believe that some people can be born with neurological problems that can cause them to do very immoral things, but these people are your typically crazies that systematically murder for pleasure, etc.

That being said, I believe that people are born with tendencies to be moral or immoral, but very few, if any, are truly evil inherently. People's circumstances influence their personality and reality. While I like to think that we are have some sort of general moral compass, the fact is that if we are taught one thing is moral or not and have no experiences to say otherwise, then we will probably not dispute that guidance. But as I just said, I believe that some have stronger tendencies that others to value or not value the lives and well being of others.

That leads me to violent dictators and instigators of large scale massacres. These human beings(being generous) may at some point believe their own twisted reasoning, but are terrible people by their own choice. The value their own ambition more than anything else and choose kill thousands or millions of innocents to accomplish their goals. These terrible individuals hijacked any group of people available and convince the weak minded, desperate, fearful, and ill informed to follow them. Time and time again it happens throughout history.

Sent from my XT1096
    Jaba Chutlashvili likes this.
    10-24-2014 10:29 AM
    While I have never personally encountered someone like this, I believe that some people can be born with neurological problems that can cause them to do very immoral things, but these people are your typically crazies that systematically murder for pleasure, etc.

That being said, I believe that people are born with tendencies to be moral or immoral, but very few, if any, are truly evil inherently. People's circumstances influence their personality and reality. While I like to think that we are have some sort of general moral compass, the fact is that if we are taught one thing is moral or not and have no experiences to say otherwise, then we will probably not dispute that guidance. But as I just said, I believe that some have stronger tendencies that others to value or not value the lives and well being of others.

That leads me to violent dictators and instigators of large scale massacres. These human beings(being generous) may at some point believe their own twisted reasoning, but are terrible people by their own choice. The value their own ambition more than anything else and choose kill thousands or millions of innocents to accomplish their goals. These terrible individuals hijacked any group of people available and convince the weak minded, desperate, fearful, and ill informed to follow them. Time and time again it happens throughout history.

Sent from my XT1096
    They say toddlers are selfish by nature. I've heard that at that age, they turn into small ego-maniacs. I bet that some parents don't know that they're supposed to show limits and teach their children how to interact with other children. One of my nephews is a perfect example. His parents never really let him interact with other children so he never really developed skills that helped him interact with others. At this point it's too late for that to happen and the kid is an absolute mess. I don't know if I'd necessarily call him evil though, but I know his parents are really clueless and inept.
    10-24-2014 07:31 PM
    The appeal of control and power, with a incorrect validation that your religion gives you the right to act is a terrifying thing. I can think of a few Americans who are guilty of this.
    10-26-2014 10:51 AM
    This video should be in every psychology class as a perfect example of Delusions Of Grandeur.
    The speaker in the video is Abdullah Elmir (also known as "Abu Khalid") from Australia. Some people believe he has been brainwashed to join ISIS. Others believe that the Australian government is tracking him to locate other members of ISIS.

It would be interesting to know more about Elmir's backstory. What would motivate a 17-year-old from Australia to join ISIS? Are more people likely to join as well?
    10-27-2014 01:57 PM
    ISIS has no clue what they are doing. They are just causing chaos however they can.
    What should ISIS do instead?

Causing chaos seems to be one of the main goals of ISIS. So, in that respect, they seem to know exactly what they are doing.
    10-27-2014 02:04 PM
    Some people find religion to be a positive aspect of their lives. For example, the majority of US presidents are Christian. Leading the US is a tough job, so it probably helps to have some faith in a higher power for guidance.
    10-27-2014 02:13 PM
    ....What would motivate a 17-year-old from Australia to join ISIS? ....
    Religion that creates delusions of grandeur. I thought it was obvious.
    10-27-2014 03:58 PM
    Religion that creates delusions of grandeur. I thought it was obvious.
    How common is it for 17-year-olds from Australia to get delusions of grandeur?
    10-27-2014 04:18 PM
    How common is it for 17-year-olds from Australia to get delusions of grandeur?
    If you have a better diagnosis, I'd love to hear it.
    10-27-2014 05:26 PM
    Some people find religion to be a positive aspect of their lives. For example, the majority of US presidents are Christian. Leading the US is a tough job, so it probably helps to have some faith in a higher power for guidance.
    Most Presidents and former Presidents report that they're Christian because the American public is dopey enough to believe that a person needs religion in order to be moral. What's funny is that these same people have no problems with "Christian" Presidents issuing orders to kill other human beings.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    10-27-2014 06:56 PM
    If you have a better diagnosis, I'd love to hear it.
    This article suggests that ISIS brainwashed Elmir: The Telegraph
    10-27-2014 08:58 PM
    This article suggests that ISIS brainwashed Elmir: The Telegraph
    So what you're saying is that they promised him grandeur?
    10-27-2014 09:01 PM
    So what you're saying is that they promised him grandeur?
    From the article:

An expert on home-grown terrorists in Australia said extremists were grooming young Muslims and likened the process to the manner in which paedophiles groom their victims.

“It's like sexual predation," Professor Greg Barton, from Monash University, told Fairfax Media.

"Somebody might strike up a friendship in an online chat forum and present themselves in a different fashion - to try to get them into their web… He's not in charge of his own destiny at all; he's being used."
    10-27-2014 09:12 PM
    From the article:

An expert on home-grown terrorists in Australia said extremists were grooming young Muslims and likened the process to the manner in which paedophiles groom their victims.

“It's like sexual predation," Professor Greg Barton, from Monash University, told Fairfax Media.

"Somebody might strike up a friendship in an online chat forum and present themselves in a different fashion - to try to get them into their web… He's not in charge of his own destiny at all; he's being used."
    ...and they do that with religion to make a person believe they will be all powerful, thus delusions of grandeur
    10-27-2014 09:41 PM

It would be interesting to know more about Elmir's backstory. What would motivate a 17-year-old from Australia to join ISIS? Are more people likely to join as well?
    Good question. I also have the same question for those three girls from Colorado that were on their way to join for an "adventure". Oh you'll get an adventure alright girls...if you call getting raped, treated like property, and ultimately killed an "adventure". Should stick to hanging out at the local mall.

Posted via Android Central App
    Scott7217 likes this.
    10-28-2014 01:09 PM
237 123 ...