This popped up on my FB page and was wondering what others thought about it. So do you agree or disagree, and why?
    SCHOOL SUSPENDS MODERN BONNIE AND CLYDE OVER “GUN” PHOTO… – Universal Free Press
    10-28-2014 03:18 PM
    Given current events, if the school didn't act and something happened, they would be extremely negligent and liable. The parents who took the pictures are idiots.

Seems to be a new link: http://universalfreepress.com/school...ver-gun-photo/
    sydneycooper1979 likes this.
    10-28-2014 04:16 PM
    I don't think the school should have any say over what kids do in their own homes unless there's evidence to suggest something illegal is/was about to happen there. They should mind their business and focus on education, not social engineering.

On the other side: http://abcnews.go.com/US/nebraska-hi...ry?id=26405288
    10-28-2014 07:16 PM
    The school should be hammered for this. This is a very classic over reaction. I mean I looked at the photo and it look like a Halloween costume set up and considering not on school property. Not related to the school at all they have no ground. If the school did nothing this would of blown over. Chances are it was some other parent who saw it freaked out called the school. Instead of telling that parent no or a token response of weeks will look into it they go over bored.

I expect that principle life is going to be rough.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    10-29-2014 08:22 AM
    I don't mind the school doing an initial investigation just to be on the safe side, but if no one broke any laws, then the school should have dropped the matter.
    10-29-2014 11:01 AM
    Welp, the anti gun culture is winning. It is apparently now illegal to have guns in you own home and having them means you will obviously attack a school...

Sent from my XT1096
    10-30-2014 07:00 AM
    They put a caption on the photo relating it to homecoming. It caused a disruption at the school and the Superintendent said to tie that to one of our school events kind of puts it over the top which brings us into it.

Addendum: Here's something amazing. After Live2Ride posted the link, I glanced at it. When I went back to read it, it was gone. So I searched for it on Google and found another article related to it and read it. Now I see the article published by the Universal Free Press left out that the picture was captioned relating it to homecoming; left out that it caused a disruption in school and that the Superintendent acted due to the picture being tied to a school event.
    10-30-2014 07:53 AM
    Do you happen to have a link to the photo with the caption not cropped out? I wouldn't put it past some of these off the beaten path sites to do something like that.
    10-30-2014 10:04 AM
    Do you happen to have a link to the photo with the caption not cropped out? I wouldn't put it past some of these off the beaten path sites to do something like that.
    I don't have a link, but I am sure if you googled it you could find it. I read that it was captioned, "Homecoming 2014", but I never saw the original tweet.

That link you posted about the Nebraska school allowing Senior pictures with rifles is all done in good taste. That's what they do out there; they hunt. I use to hunt. If it was a school from South Dakota, they would probably want pictures bagging a few pheasants, or if it was a school from northern Minnesota, they would probably want pictures ice fishing.
    10-30-2014 10:58 AM
    I did find one reliable place that showed the caption (my concern was if someone added it after the fact to try framing them.

http://abc7.com/news/massachusetts-t...-photo/372165/ (watch the video to see)

So given that, I could see a school questioning it, but not in such a threatening manner. Once they found out the kids are part of a legit airsoft club and those were airsoft guns, the issue should have been dropped.
    10-30-2014 12:39 PM
    I did find one reliable place that showed the caption (my concern was if someone added it after the fact to try framing them.

Massachusetts teens suspended from school after holding guns in homecoming photo | abc7.com (watch the video to see)

So given that, I could see a school questioning it, but not in such a threatening manner. Once they found out the kids are part of a legit airsoft club and those were airsoft guns, the issue should have been dropped.
    You have to put yourself in the Superintendent shoes. The school is out east where Sandy Hook happened. You have that other kid out in Washington who just shot 4 kids in the head at lunch. The Superintendent didn't find it the least be funny and suspended the kids to make his point. He won't tolerate it. If the community doesn't agree with him, they can get rid of him..

They keep blaming the kids, but I see the parents who took the pictures as the real idiots, given current events. It's just as stupid as the guy on the airliner who started coughing and told everyone, you are screwed I have ebola. They kicked him off the plane, but he said it was just a joke - Ha Ha Ha - not a very funny joke to cause panic.
    10-30-2014 02:12 PM
    The courts have already affirmed that the First Amendment doesn't cover things like inciting a riot, panic, etc. I.e. you can't yell fire in a crowded movie theater, or bomb/Ebola on a plane. This photo was nothing like that. The caption was only to mark the occasion, not in any way intimidating unless you're looking to create a problem that doesn't exist.
    10-30-2014 02:35 PM
    The courts have already affirmed that the First Amendment doesn't cover things like inciting a riot, panic, etc. I.e. you can't yell fire in a crowded movie theater, or bomb/Ebola on a plane. This photo was nothing like that. The caption was only to mark the occasion, not in any way intimidating unless you're looking to create a problem that doesn't exist.
    He said the picture caused a disturbance (panic). Neither of us were there to see it. Like I said, the Superintendent didn't find it funny, won't tolerate it and if the community doesn't like his decision, they can get rid of him.
    10-30-2014 02:43 PM
    Ok, so the pic was not seen by whoever the whistle blower was until Monday at school. Long after the homecoming or whatever was over. So the apparent "threat" was long sense past when these children were singled out, harassed, and suspended.

If what the first link says is true about how the children were treated in the questioning, I hope that school system has some good lawyers and some cash saved up for a lawsuit.

Now these children's faces are plastered all over the Internet and news outlets and suspended for doing nothing wrong. What else will the infinitely wise school system do to punish these children? Should the issue been addressed? If they really are that paranoid then sure, that is acceptable, but there is no reason to punish these children or their parents in any way.

Sent from my XT1096
    10-31-2014 12:17 PM
    Ok, so the pic was not seen by whoever the whistle blower was until Monday at school. Long after the homecoming or whatever was over. So the apparent "threat" was long sense past when these children were singled out, harassed, and suspended.

If what the first link says is true about how the children were treated in the questioning, I hope that school system has some good lawyers and some cash saved up for a lawsuit.

Now these children's faces are plastered all over the Internet and news outlets and suspended for doing nothing wrong. What else will the infinitely wise school system do to punish these children? Should the issue been addressed? If they really are that paranoid then sure, that is acceptable, but there is no reason to punish these children or their parents in any way.

Sent from my XT1096
    The Superintendent said:

"What it's about is a [couple of] students engaging in an activity that created a total destruction of the school day," Superintendent Richard W. Gross said. "They're juniors in high school, and it's proactive and they should know better and it scared students."

Gross told WBZ that, had police known about the photo, they would have cancelled the homecoming dance.
    I just don't see the malice by the Superintendent you're talking about. I still think the parents were really stupid.
    10-31-2014 01:37 PM
    The Superintendent said:

I just don't see the malice by the Superintendent you're talking about. I still think the parents were really stupid.
    Destroyed a school day? Maybe because the leadership freaked out and instilled that fear into the student body. My question is what specifically happened to "destroy" a school day?

Why we're the parents that stupid? If the caption in any way implied that these kids were going to take the toy guns to school, I could maybe see this kind of reaction. But no, they titled the pictures of them in their homecoming clothes(just like thousands of kiss do every year) and posted the pic on a private Facebook. No one even saw this the night of the "threat." It was 2 kids in the privacy of their own home holding up toy guns because they thought it was funny probably. They probably thought they looked like classic mobsters.

No one did anything wrong here and yet the irrational fears of a portion of the population dictate that these children should be punished.

I am sure there is probably a picture of them getting into a car. Does that mean they were planning to run someone over? We should probably punish them for that too...

Sent from my XT1096
    10-31-2014 02:08 PM
    Destroyed a school day? Maybe because the leadership freaked out and instilled that fear into the student body. My question is what specifically happened to "destroy" a school day?

Why we're the parents that stupid? If the caption in any way implied that these kids were going to take the toy guns to school, I could maybe see this kind of reaction. But no, they titled the pictures of them in their homecoming clothes(just like thousands of kiss do every year) and posted the pic on a private Facebook. No one even saw this the night of the "threat." It was 2 kids in the privacy of their own home holding up toy guns because they thought it was funny probably. They probably thought they looked like classic mobsters.

No one did anything wrong here and yet the irrational fears of a portion of the population dictate that these children should be punished.

I am sure there is probably a picture of them getting into a car. Does that mean they were planning to run someone over? We should probably punish them for that too...

Sent from my XT1096
    Unbelievable! I think it was in poor taste, given the current events of school shootings for the parents to take a homecoming picture with their kids holding weapons. The average person can't tell they are airsoft assault weapons. It was a stupid idea. The Superintendent also thought it was a stupid idea and I bet a lot the teachers at the school thought it was stupid idea and I bet the community isn't in an uproar over the Superintendent action.

Believe it or not, guns scare people. Why is that so hard to understand, and you blame it on, "... the leadership freaked out and instilled that fear into the student body...." Unbelievable!
    10-31-2014 04:27 PM
    Unbelievable! I think it was in poor taste, given the current events of school shootings for the parents to take a homecoming picture with their kids holding weapons. The average person can't tell they are airsoft assault weapons. It was a stupid idea. The Superintendent also thought it was a stupid idea and I bet a lot the teachers at the school thought it was stupid idea and I bet the community isn't in an uproar over the Superintendent action.

Believe it or not, guns scare people. Why is that so hard to understand, and you blame it on, "... the leadership freaked out and instilled that fear into the student body...." Unbelievable!
    So fear is an acceptable excuse for stupidity? So fear is an acceptable reason to punish children for doing absolutely nothing wrong?

If these people truly believe that there was any kind of danger(which I honesty have a hard time believing), then the authorities should have done what they felt was appropriate for protection. But sense nothing wrong was actually done, there should be no punishment.

Fear is almost always mongered. Either intentionally or unintentionally. Do you think this who country would be talking about Ebola if our media and leaders were not shoving it in our faces? Less than 10 people have had it on US soil, yet everyone is talking like they could get it tomorrow. It is a similar issue with the anti gun lobby.

Sense, by all accounts I have seen, these were respectable kids that would never normally be suspect of any kind of violence, I have no reason to assume they walked around school threatening everyone with the toy guns they took pictures with before homecoming(see how ludicrous that sounds?). I suspect that a teacher or parent freaked out when they saw the picture(AFTER the fact) and then caused the faculty to overreact and the students to be disruptive. High school kids love an excuse to freak out quite frankly. I did it myself many times. Then these kids were blamed for it all.

Sent from my XT1096
    Live2ride883 likes this.
    10-31-2014 06:51 PM