11-07-2014 06:48 PM
36 12
tools
    Now this article just talks about a few businesses from Minnesota. Its laughable, more like criminal, that St. Jude Medical is listed. Now the right will argue that taxes force businesses to do this or it's legal or businesses shouldn't be taxed at all. That argument is null and void because payments to individuals can also be hidden overseas. Any company that does this should be kicked out of the U.S. and their product or services should also be banned from the U.S. marketplace.

Minnesota companies shelter billions in cash from U.S. taxes | Star Tribune
    11-01-2014 10:28 PM
    Higher taxes push money overseas and lower taxes would result in more money bright back to the states? Who would have ever thought of such a silly idea. :rolleyes:
    Scott7217 likes this.
    11-02-2014 12:31 AM
    Higher taxes push money overseas and lower taxes would result in more money bright back to the states? Who would have ever thought of such a silly idea. :rolleyes:
    I recently saw a report where businesses in a red state had lower taxes but instead of paying workers or hiring more people all they did was pocket the money, so lowering taxes did nothing for business really.
    11-02-2014 02:26 PM
    If you have a problem with laws, fight to change them. It's not a hard concept...

Companies go were they can most easily make the most money. It is why companies are moving manufacturing over seas and to places like Mexico. It is why companies move their headquarters to places where taxes are lower.

The world is no longer a place where you have to be local to your market in order to be competitive in it. We cannot expect companies to care about being in the US(or anywhere else) just because they started here or became successful here. Businesses must do whatever it takes to be competitive and please their consumers. Obviously, businesses are finding advantages being located outside the US. We mush now understand why that is and what it will take to give the incentive to come back here.

Sent from my XT1096
    Scott7217 likes this.
    11-02-2014 02:50 PM
    If you have a problem with laws, fight to change them. It's not a hard concept...

Companies go were they can most easily make the most money. It is why companies are moving manufacturing over seas and to places like Mexico. It is why companies move their headquarters to places where taxes are lower.

The world is no longer a place where you have to be local to your market in order to be competitive in it. We cannot expect companies to care about being in the US(or anywhere else) just because they started here or became successful here. Businesses must do whatever it takes to be competitive and please their consumers. Obviously, businesses are finding advantages being located outside the US. We mush now understand why that is and what it will take to give the incentive to come back here.

Sent from my XT1096
    The only way for business to come back to the states is if the economy was good enough to support a family on lower income. It isn't because people get paid and then have to rely on the government for welfare. So mainly it is a problem with how much people get paid more than anything.

And people in other countries are willing to take a fraction of what people get paid minimum wage here.

The sane issue with illegal immigrants, those people complaining about how illegals take jobs know they wouldn't do the jobs illegals actually take, because those jobs are super low paying.
    11-02-2014 03:05 PM
    The only way for business to come back to the states is if the economy was good enough to support a family on lower income. It isn't because people get paid and then have to rely on the government for welfare. So mainly it is a problem with how much people get paid more than anything.

And people in other countries are willing to take a fraction of what people get paid minimum wage here.

The sane issue with illegal immigrants, those people complaining about how illegals take jobs know they wouldn't do the jobs illegals actually take, because those jobs are super low paying.
    Wait, what?

The US has the largest single consumer market in the world. Businesses operating here in the sense of manufacturing, administration, and intellectual property is different from businesses selling goods and services here. Businesses have never slowed down in taking Americans' money. What has slowed down is businesses providing new opportunities for Americans to earn money.

And if other people around the world are willing to work for less, then that is an advantage that they have over our society. That means we have to find ways to entice businesses to operate here. We cannot expect businesses to pay our work force twice as much for no added benefit...

Sent from my XT1096
    11-02-2014 03:21 PM
    I work with someone who is a dyed in the wool red koolaid drinker to the point that he has Rush Limbaugh's programming station as his 1st preset in his car. He drives a rather beat up old Honda and makes less than $40,000 a year. I honestly believe that he thinks he's going to one day be one of those millionaires that will need to shelter his money one day. What I've noticed about him is that he has never made more than $40,000 a year yet wants so badly to portray himself as a "one-percenter". What's sad is that he's not even considered middle class but because he has this delusion that one day he's going to be raking it in, he has no problem voting for the party that has helped shed more of the middle class in the past 30 years than at any other time.

I've tried to explain to him numerous times that NEITHER party is trying to help him, but the GOP will put corporations ahead of him EVERY CHANCE THEY GET. He keeps insisting that the Democrats are the ruin of this nation despite the fact that unemployment is lower than when Bush left office, the stock market is in record territory, and medical costs are trending low with the effects of Obamacare.

Now I am not going to sit here and tell you that the Democrats are to be given complete credit for the turnaround, but taking the GOP out of the driver's seat is one big step for our country.

The only way we're going to see these corporations reigned in is by unseating some of these GOP candidates that are nothing more than an extension of our greedy corporate masters. Do I wish we had an alternative better than the Democrats? Hell yes! Do I think we'll ever get a better alternative? Hell No! The political system is rigged so heavily that if we ever got a candidate that the majority deserved, he/she'd be cut down at the knees by corporate America. Do you ever wonder why NOT ONE SINGLE BIG NAMED POLITICIAN wants to take on Campaign Finance Reform? Because they're ALL OWNED by big business.
    11-02-2014 06:54 PM
    Wait, what?

The US has the largest single consumer market in the world. Businesses operating here in the sense of manufacturing, administration, and intellectual property is different from businesses selling goods and services here. Businesses have never slowed down in taking Americans' money. What has slowed down is businesses providing new opportunities for Americans to earn money.

And if other people around the world are willing to work for less, then that is an advantage that they have over our society. That means we have to find ways to entice businesses to operate here. We cannot expect businesses to pay our work force twice as much for no added benefit...

Sent from my XT1096
    The issue is that businesses are more likely to outsource a job than try to hire in the U.S., there is no clear cut way we can stop that.
    11-02-2014 06:57 PM
    The issue is that businesses are more likely to outsource a job than try to hire in the U.S., there is no clear cut way we can stop that.
    It's worse than you think. I work in the IT industry and I get about 5-10 emails/phone calls a day from head hunters looking for IT professionals. Companies are desperate to bring in qualified individuals but they only want to pay about fifty cents on the dollar. Then what happens is our "friends" in Washington have big business lobbyists tell their political backers that there is a shortage of skilled workers and ask the U.S. to grant Visas to Indian workers to allow them to take U.S. jobs for pennies on the dollar. And sadly, our own government will most likely grant those work visas which makes it difficult for other IT professionals to get the pay that they deserve.
    nolittdroid, palandri and A895 like this.
    11-02-2014 07:03 PM
    It's worse than you think. I work in the IT industry and I get about 5-10 emails/phone calls a day from head hunters looking for IT professionals. Companies are desperate to bring in qualified individuals but they only want to pay about fifty cents on the dollar. Then what happens is our "friends" in Washington have big business lobbyists tell their political backers that there is a shortage of skilled workers and ask the U.S. to grant Visas to Indian workers to allow them to take U.S. jobs for pennies on the dollar. And sadly, our own government will most likely grant those work visas which makes it difficult for other IT professionals to get the pay that they deserve.
    Yep they scream shortage but ask them to explain if there is such a shortage of those works why is the wages for those positions not increasing faster or even keeping up with inflation. I have yet to see them even come close to what one could consider an answer.
    This is also why I think those visas should be reduced not increased. Until they can give a real answer tell them pound sand.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    11-03-2014 08:58 AM
    You guys will find me in agreement with that too. We have plenty of people in the U.S. willing to work, but not for low wages in a skilled industry or for poor treatment and over regulation. I don't agree with increasing visas to fill that void either, but then you have issues with companies not being able to stay competitive in a world market due to the wage disparity between countries. I'm not in favor of crony capitalism by any means, and that's why I'd rather see less regulatory burden to ease those pressures and promote more competition instead of bringing in foreign workers.
    11-03-2014 09:16 AM
    I work with someone who is a dyed in the wool red koolaid drinker to the point that he has Rush Limbaugh's programming station as his 1st preset in his car. He drives a rather beat up old Honda and makes less than $40,000 a year. I honestly believe that he thinks he's going to one day be one of those millionaires that will need to shelter his money one day. What I've noticed about him is that he has never made more than $40,000 a year yet wants so badly to portray himself as a "one-percenter". What's sad is that he's not even considered middle class but because he has this delusion that one day he's going to be raking it in, he has no problem voting for the party that has helped shed more of the middle class in the past 30 years than at any other time.

I've tried to explain to him numerous times that NEITHER party is trying to help him, but the GOP will put corporations ahead of him EVERY CHANCE THEY GET. He keeps insisting that the Democrats are the ruin of this nation despite the fact that unemployment is lower than when Bush left office, the stock market is in record territory, and medical costs are trending low with the effects of Obamacare.

Now I am not going to sit here and tell you that the Democrats are to be given complete credit for the turnaround, but taking the GOP out of the driver's seat is one big step for our country.

The only way we're going to see these corporations reigned in is by unseating some of these GOP candidates that are nothing more than an extension of our greedy corporate masters. Do I wish we had an alternative better than the Democrats? Hell yes! Do I think we'll ever get a better alternative? Hell No! The political system is rigged so heavily that if we ever got a candidate that the majority deserved, he/she'd be cut down at the knees by corporate America. Do you ever wonder why NOT ONE SINGLE BIG NAMED POLITICIAN wants to take on Campaign Finance Reform? Because they're ALL OWNED by big business.
    Voters Favor GOP Control of Congress... Tomorrow we will win the six seats needed to gain control of the chamber...Republicans have the clear advantage to win control of U.S. Senate in tomorrow's elections..
    11-03-2014 09:52 AM
    Voters Favor GOP Control of Congress... Tomorrow we will win the six seats needed to gain control of the chamber...Republicans have the clear advantage to win control of U.S. Senate in tomorrow's elections..
    Oh god, I hope not. I hope Michelle Nunn wins tomorrow for my state at least. Georgia has no business being a red state anymore.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-03-2014 01:04 PM
    Oh god, I hope not. I hope Michelle Nunn wins tomorrow for my state at least. Georgia has no business being a red state anymore.

What's sad is some of the poorest, least educated states are red. That should tell you all you need to know. I wouldn't mind if Obama had a little more leverage in the House of Representatives, not necessarily a majority, but more representatives willing to come to the table to work out legislation that benefits America, not just sit and pout in the corner. I can't imagine that he would do anything so drastic to upset the trend of unemployment, nor the stock market's current upward trend. One thing he could do that might upset his current positive trend, but would greatly benefit his party is making Marijuana legal. This alone would free a lot of non-violent citizens and would re-instate their voting rights not to mention bring in more revenue with a heavy tax, and curb drug cartels from Latin America.
    A895 likes this.
    11-03-2014 06:53 PM
    What's sad is some of the poorest, least educated states are red. That should tell you all you need to know. I wouldn't mind if Obama had a little more leverage in the House of Representatives, not necessarily a majority, but more representatives willing to come to the table to work out legislation that benefits America, not just sit and pout in the corner. I can't imagine that he would do anything so drastic to upset the trend of unemployment, nor the stock market's current upward trend. One thing he could do that might upset his current positive trend, but would greatly benefit his party is making Marijuana legal. This alone would free a lot of non-violent citizens and would re-instate their voting rights not to mention bring in more revenue with a heavy tax, and curb drug cartels from Latin America.
    All of this. I hope marijuana is legal here soon, cuts all this illegal nonsense point blank.

11-03-2014 07:00 PM
    All of this. I hope marijuana is legal here soon, cuts all this illegal nonsense point blank.

What's sad is if it were legal, I still wouldn't touch the stuff, but I wouldn't mind seeing the tax benefits from it. From what I understand, Colorado is having a bit of a cash flow problem from legalizing it, but from having TOO MUCH cash flowing. #LiberalStateProblems
    A895 likes this.
    11-03-2014 07:13 PM
    What's sad is if it were legal, I still wouldn't touch the stuff, but I wouldn't mind seeing the tax benefits from it. From what I understand, Colorado is having a bit of a cash flow problem from legalizing it, but from having TOO MUCH cash flowing. #LiberalStateProblems
    What nice problem to have. Meanwhile city of Atlanta is spending millions they don't really have to make a new stadium that no one really wants.

11-03-2014 07:28 PM
    What nice problem to have. Meanwhile city of Atlanta is spending millions they don't really have to make a new stadium that no one really wants.

Mo Money Mo problems?

Sheltering Billions From Taxes - Legally-mjtax.jpg
    A895 likes this.
    11-03-2014 07:38 PM
    Even if it were legalized nation wide, those of us in "safety sensitive" jobs still couldn't use it. Then again, I barely have an interest in drinking alcohol and not smoking cigarettes, so doubt I'd smoke weed anyway.
    A895 likes this.
    11-03-2014 08:15 PM
    Even if it were legalized nation wide, those of us in "safety sensitive" jobs still couldn't use it. Then again, I barely have an interest in drinking alcohol and not smoking cigarettes, so doubt I'd smoke weed anyway.
    I see where you are coming from, but jobs don't allow drugs while working anyways. This is basically just getting rid of the criminal aspect of it by legalizing it.
    palandri likes this.
    11-03-2014 09:19 PM
    With drug testing, don't think it's just recreational drugs that can get you in trouble. I know of some crazy things happening with random drug testing. One guy was having back spasms and got a mild muscle relaxant from his doctor. He said he didn't get buzzed or high from it. When he was randomly drug tested, they told him he couldn't work while he was taking it.
    11-03-2014 09:51 PM
    I see where you are coming from, but jobs don't allow drugs while working anyways. This is basically just getting rid of the criminal aspect of it by legalizing it.
    Some states waste a lot of money throwing people in jail for marijuana Alternet: ‘The Five Worst States to Get Busted With Pot’ | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform
    11-03-2014 09:55 PM
    With drug testing, don't think it's just recreational drugs that can get you in trouble. I know of some crazy things happening with random drug testing. One guy was having back spasms and got a mild muscle relaxant from his doctor. He said he didn't get buzzed or high from it. When he was randomly drug tested, they told him he couldn't work while he was taking it.
    I could understand why depending in the job. Like if he was using heavy machinery as those drugs greatly slow down your reaction time and just make you a little slower in general. If he hurts someone he is not the one liable the company is and made worse by they would be risking negligence multiplier as they knew he was on those drugs.

palandri likes this.
    11-04-2014 08:29 AM
    I could understand why depending in the job. Like if he was using heavy machinery as those drugs greatly slow down your reaction time and just make you a little slower in general. If he hurts someone he is not the one liable the company is and made worse by they would be risking negligence multiplier as they knew he was on those drugs.

I agree in those circumstances. That just makes sense. This was a real mild muscle relaxant that didn't come with any of the warning you normally see on prescriptions. His doctor couldn't understand it either. He stopped taking them and was allowed back to work after testing negative.
    11-04-2014 09:03 AM
    I am completely neutral on the marijuana issue. I don't particularly care either way. We do need to rethink the war on drugs and punishment for such crimes though. We are sinking a lot of money into the whole thing and I am not liking the results too much.

O and let's say we legalize it nationally, the people convicted of position charges would not automatically be acquitted. They still broke the law at the time. I am sure there would be efforts to quickly get those with minor offenses out of jail, but it would not be an automatic thing. Most would probably stay locked up as long as they would have otherwise.

Sent from my XT1096
    11-04-2014 10:52 AM
36 12