12-05-2014 05:51 AM
179 12345 ...
tools
    Because those people were running in RED STATES where guns are popular and the gun lobby is powerful. So they show they like guns too else the attack ads will read that candidate D is out to get your guns!

I do agree with you on the other points. But not the gun one.

Posted via Android Central App
    I think even in some of the red states if a Democrat would come out and say that they believe in keeping guns out of the hands of mentally unstable people via background checks or trying to find other ways to stop mass shootings, you'd have some red koolaid drinkers that would agree. I think voters voted against the Democrats because the Democrats were too afraid to tell voters what they stood for. Tell voters what you're all about and let the chips fall where they may. Instead, the Democratic strategy was distance yourself from Obama and hope no one asks any tough questions.
    11-08-2014 06:28 PM
    I think even in some of the red states if a Democrat would come out and say that they believe in keeping guns out of the hands of mentally unstable people via background checks or trying to find other ways to stop mass shootings, you'd have some red koolaid drinkers that would agree. I think voters voted against the Democrats because the Democrats were too afraid to tell voters what they stood for. Tell voters what you're all about and let the chips fall where they may. Instead, the Democratic strategy was distance yourself from Obama and hope no one asks any tough questions.
    True. But the GOP didn't have a message either other then "Obama and Obamacare = bad". There needed to be more substance from both sides. It was a rather pathetic election cycle.

11-10-2014 12:56 PM
    True. But the GOP didn't have a message either other then "Obama and Obamacare = bad". There needed to be note substance from both sides. It was a rather pathetic election cycle.

Well, the democrats didn't do themselves any favors, and the republican base was already itching to stack the deck higher against Obama. What still puzzles me is how we are better than when Bush left office yet so many lemmings thought we needed more of what brought us near collapse from 2000 to 2008.
    palandri and A895 like this.
    11-10-2014 06:25 PM
    Well, the democrats didn't do themselves any favors, and the republican base was already itching to stack the deck higher against Obama. What still puzzles me is how we are better than when Bush left office yet so many lemmings thought we needed more of what brought us near collapse from 2000 to 2008.
    Don't you know? The eight years of Bush was just a dream. It never happened. Just like that one season of Dallas. We went directly from Clinton to Obama. Except unlike Dallas, there were no showers involved. But conservative memories are just as blank and wiped clean now. Which is why they always try to change the subject.

A895 and Scott7217 like this.
    11-10-2014 07:27 PM
    What still puzzles me is how we are better than when Bush left office yet so many lemmings thought we needed more of what brought us near collapse from 2000 to 2008.
    If people didn't like the way the country was going under the Bush presidency, they would have voted for John Kerry in 2004. Likewise, if people didn't like how Obama was leading the country, they would have voted for Mitt Romney in 2012. Americans seem to like giving both parties equal time to run things.
    11-15-2014 04:58 PM
    If people didn't like the way the country was going under the Bush presidency, they would have voted for John Kerry in 2004. Likewise, if people didn't like how Obama was leading the country, they would have voted for Mitt Romney in 2012. Americans seem to like giving both parties equal time to run things.
    The electoral college decides presidential elections. People voting are only popular votes, presidents have served who didn't have the most popular votes.
    11-15-2014 06:29 PM
    I remember the 2004 election, the Swiftboat smear campaign (and them later claiming that they fabricated their stories of Kerry) and how the GOP amped up the "terrorist threat" angle. Fear was probably one of the biggest motivators of that election, which is one of the GOP's biggest tools, emotion. When there isn't a huge issue to tug at the voters' emotions, the GOP has an easier time with presidential elections. During off years, the Democrats have a hard time rallying their base to go vote.
    11-15-2014 07:53 PM
    The electoral college decides presidential elections. People voting are only popular votes, presidents have served who didn't have the most popular votes.
    Yes, but not lately.

11-16-2014 12:31 AM
    Yes, but not lately.

True, but it is not up to the people per se when it comes to elections for presidents. The only elections people really have a say in is congress, state congress, and various local and state officials.
    11-16-2014 08:55 AM
    A guy that I work with that bleeds right wing said he's glad that a large population of people didn't vote a few weeks ago, which I have a problem with for many reasons. The first reason is if the GOP message is one that helps the most people the best, why would someone be glad that a large portion of the population didn't vote? The next problem I have with it is the fact that he probably has never and will never make over $100,000 a year in his life yet he's perfectly ok with voting for policies that aren't going to benefit him in any way shape or form. He must think he'll benefit from Trickle Down.

Some insight of what this guy is about, he confided in me a few weeks ago about a new hire that started working for us. I asked him if she was nice, and his reply was, "she seems nice for a black woman". And the GOP isn't the party of bigots.....

And that is probably the biggest reason I despise the right-wing is they channel peoples' hate of other people only to have those same people think that the reason they're kept down is because they think other races are keeping them down when it's their own ignorance that's keeping them down by voting in people that don't care about them or their financial situation.
    palandri, A895 and GadgetGator like this.
    11-16-2014 04:03 PM
    Some insight of what this guy is about, he confided in me a few weeks ago about a new hire that started working for us. I asked him if she was nice, and his reply was, "she seems nice for a black woman". And the GOP isn't the party of bigots.....
    That says more about him than anything. I identify myself as a Moderate. However, that is only because of social issues. On fiscal issues, I'm rather Conservative, and 75% of the time, I agree/caucus with the GOP. I don't consider myself a bigot.

A bit more about me, I make much less than $30,000 per year (partly because of college full time), still work part time, and was raised and still live in the Deep South (lower Alabama) . My best friend is of Indian descent.

I don't believe you listed your coworker's age. I'll assume he is older than me. The reason I say that is because it seems to be a generation gap. My generation (21 & under) seems to be more, for lack of a better word, oblivious to previous social issues. By that, I mean we've grown up with openly out people/same-sex marriage, interracial marriage, equality, etc. These, while still unacceptable to parts of the country aren't as foreign to us as they are my mom and grandmother.

Just trying to say that just because you identify with a certain party, it doesn't mean you are a bigot, racist, prejudiced, etc.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-16-2014 09:02 PM
    That says more about him than anything. I identify myself as a Moderate. However, that is only because of social issues. On fiscal issues, I'm rather Conservative, and 75% of the time, I agree/caucus with the GOP. I don't consider myself a bigot.

A bit more about me, I make much less than $30,000 per year (partly because of college full time), still work part time, and was raised and still live in the Deep South (lower Alabama) . My best friend is of Indian descent.

I don't believe you listed your coworker's age. I'll assume he is older than me. The reason I say that is because it seems to be a generation gap. My generation (21 & under) seems to be more, for lack of a better word, oblivious to previous social issues. By that, I mean we've grown up with openly out people/same-sex marriage, interracial marriage, equality, etc. These, while still unacceptable to parts of the country aren't as foreign to us as they are my mom and grandmother.

Just trying to say that just because you identify with a certain party, it doesn't mean you are a bigot, racist, prejudiced, etc.

I'm not saying it's a hard and fast rule of the GOP, but it seems to be a trait of their base, the lowest common denominator of their base. And I'm not going to be one sided with this issue, I've heard a lot of people say that they voted for Obama because he's "black". What you have to differentiate then is what side has been in the position of power for most of the past years. When some people whine about how Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton is also a bigot, you have to ask yourself what are the odds that they were in a position of power that affected a large amount of people of a specific race.

Since you mention you're from Alabama, your state ranks about 44th in education and 46th in income and last I looked was a red state. Why do you think your state doesn't rank better than a lot of blue states? I don't think it's a coincidence myself. Pro-Democrat group says 9 of the 10 poorest states are Republican | PolitiFact Rhode Island
    A895 and GadgetGator like this.
    11-16-2014 09:36 PM
    And that is probably the biggest reason I despise the right-wing is they channel peoples' hate of other people only to have those same people think that the reason they're kept down is because they think other races are keeping them down when it's their own ignorance that's keeping them down by voting in people that don't care about them or their financial situation.
    Funny, the same could be said of many on the left. That argument goes both ways, you know.
    11-16-2014 10:15 PM
    Funny, the same could be said of many on the left. That argument goes both ways, you know.

Except the Democrats usually don't campaign against gays, immigrants, or social security (the elderly). Not to say that they're efficient when it comes to legislation, they just don't focus on bigotry as much.
    A895 likes this.
    11-16-2014 10:41 PM
    Since you mention you're from Alabama, your state ranks about 44th in education and 46th in income and last I looked was a red state. Why do you think your state doesn't rank better than a lot of blue states? I don't think it's a coincidence myself. Pro-Democrat group says 9 of the 10 poorest states are Republican | PolitiFact Rhode Island
    I realize Alabama ranks quite low. A common joke is usually "thank God for Mississippi, otherwise we be last in everything."

Education is an interesting area. Believe me, I'm in school for Social Sciences Education. The Alabama Education Association (AEA) has dominated the state for years. Until recently, the AEA had the Alabama House and Senate (not completely sure of Senate) completely under their control with Democrats. Their power was so great, it is only now that Republicans control Alabama that anyone dares to challenge them.

Back on point though, Alabamians have long been focused on areas other than Education. It is getting better, but remember, until the 1940s, and I'm going to say the 1970s, Alabama didn't have many high paying jobs available that needed higher education. Until this time frame, many dropped out or just got a high school degree and worked on the farm or in the family business. On top of that, consider the state's past with Civil Rights. It is only post-70s that all ethnicities can go to the same school. I'm not trying to make excuses. Alabama still has a long way to go, but with moderate shifts toward education, along with Common Core, there is hope on the horizon.

On the income front, I believe that it ties directly into education. There are high paying jobs coming into the state. Alabama has a great environment for business. I'm curious, I haven't looked at your link, but is it saying that compared to a nationwide average? If so, I'm going to call it inaccurate. You have to take into account the Cost of Living. In my area, $40,000 per year can easily be considered middle class. That's one person's income.

Alabama hasn't been complete red for that long. However, this state is rather Conservative. There isn't much difference between a Republican and a Democrat here. Sure, there are some, but not as much as on the national level.

11-17-2014 12:28 AM
    I realize Alabama ranks quite low. A common joke is usually "thank God for Mississippi, otherwise we be last in everything."

Education is an interesting area. Believe me, I'm in school for Social Sciences Education. The Alabama Education Association (AEA) has dominated the state for years. Until recently, the AEA had the Alabama House and Senate (not completely sure of Senate) completely under their control with Democrats. Their power was so great, it is only now that Republicans control Alabama that anyone dares to challenge them.

Back on point though, Alabamians have long been focused on areas other than Education. It is getting better, but remember, until the 1940s, and I'm going to say the 1970s, Alabama didn't have many high paying jobs available that needed higher education. Until this time frame, many dropped out or just got a high school degree and worked on the farm or in the family business. On top of that, consider the state's past with Civil Rights. It is only post-70s that all ethnicities can go to the same school. I'm not trying to make excuses. Alabama still has a long way to go, but with moderate shifts toward education, along with Common Core, there is hope on the horizon.

On the income front, I believe that it ties directly into education. There are high paying jobs coming into the state. Alabama has a great environment for business. I'm curious, I haven't looked at your link, but is it saying that compared to a nationwide average? If so, I'm going to call it inaccurate. You have to take into account the Cost of Living. In my area, $40,000 per year can easily be considered middle class. That's one person's income.

Alabama hasn't been complete red for that long. However, this state is rather Conservative. There isn't much difference between a Republican and a Democrat here. Sure, there are some, but not as much as on the national level.

Alabama ranks 12th for cost of living. The lower half of the list is dominated by southern and Midwest states. Most of them traditionally red. Mississippi and Tennessee are 1st and 2nd respectively.

You also bring up an interesting point about not needing an education until recently. That fact holds everything back. If there is no value in an education in an area, few will get one. There is also a high chance of very few high paying jobs.

Now that more traditional manufacturing areas such as the Northeast have become very expensive to operate in, manufacturing has moved to cheaper southern states where their dollar can go farther. The auto industry is booming all over the South. This will bring wealth to the area that will raise education and numerous other factors.

Sent from my XT1096

Edit: forgot to post the link: http://www.missourieconomy.org/indic...ost_of_living/
    11-17-2014 03:13 AM
    Except the Democrats usually don't campaign against gays, immigrants, or social security (the elderly). Not to say that they're efficient when it comes to legislation, they just don't focus on bigotry as much.
    No, the Democrats just play on fear like using junk science for things like global warming, and turn people against each other with class warfare by making you think anyone that's financially successful in life must be greedy and used the poorer classes as pawns to get where they are. They claim to be the party of tolerance, but they can be some of the most intolerant people if you disagree with them. There's even been many that create false crimes to "bring awareness" to a problem that didn't even exist. I.E. injuring themselves to make a false police report about being raped, or spray painting their own car as if another group did it so they can start crying racism. As I said, it goes both ways.
    hydrogen3 likes this.
    11-17-2014 05:35 AM
    No, the Democrats just play on fear like using junk science for things like global warming, and turn people against each other with class warfare by making you think anyone that's financially successful in life must be greedy and used the poorer classes as pawns to get where they are. They claim to be the party of tolerance, but they can be some of the most intolerant people if you disagree with them. There's even been many that create false crimes to "bring awareness" to a problem that didn't even exist. I.E. injuring themselves to make a false police report about being raped, or spray painting their own car as if another group did it so they can start crying racism. As I said, it goes both ways.
    Wow, just wow!

So I guess I must be creating false crimes all the time to promote collective bargaining.

You're the one playing on fear by sayng that about the Democrats.

Whoever you are listening to is smoking the funny stuff.
    msndrstood and A895 like this.
    11-17-2014 07:41 AM
    I think you may be overstating a bit.
    palandri likes this.
    11-17-2014 08:08 AM
    Do a search on "hate crime hoaxes", but I'm guessing you folks will immediately dismiss all of them because it's typically liberals making them. There's no denying both major parties have equal, but opposite problems.
    hydrogen3 likes this.
    11-17-2014 11:13 AM
    Do a search on "hate crime hoaxes", but I'm guessing you folks will immediately dismiss all of them because it's typically liberals making them. There's no denying both major parties have equal, but opposite problems.
    I just did a search and here's the first one that came up and it's from a conservative publication: Eleven Hate-Crime Hoaxes | National Review Online Where does it say they were all liberals? or did Alex Jones or Fox news add that? Any one, left or right, who does that needs to be prosecuted for filing a false police report and have a mental health evaluation.

You also said, "...junk science for things like global warming..." 97% of the scientist agree that man contributes to global warming. That's real junk science isn't it?

You also said, "...making you think anyone that's financially successful in life must be greedy..." Wanting those who are financially successful to pay an equal share is really nuts isn't it? Why is Debbie Bosanek paying a higher tax rate than her billionaire boss? I guess I just caused class warfare by asking for equality and I am using Debbie Bosanek as pawn for my own personal gain.
    11-17-2014 11:43 AM
    We all know climate change/climate collapse is a hoax...It democratic fear mongering that the sky is falling..Truth is the earth has not warmed in 20 years. The ice caps are expanding..

Remember:: Former vice president Al Gore, won a Nobel Prize in 2007 for claiming that there is a dangerous man-made global warming that threatens the world. However, it has since been revealed that he convinced many people through inaccurate information in his "documentary," i.e., he only won the Nobel Prize by lying.
    11-17-2014 11:56 AM
    I just did a search and here's the first one that came up and it's from a conservative publication: Eleven Hate-Crime Hoaxes | National Review Online Where does it say they were all liberals? or did Alex Jones or Fox news add that? Any one, left or right, who does that needs to be prosecuted for filing a false police report and have a mental health evaluation.

You also said, "...junk science for things like global warming..." 97% of the scientist agree that man contributes to global warming. That's real junk science isn't it?

You also said, "...making you think anyone that's financially successful in life must be greedy..." Wanting those who are financially successful to pay an equal share is really nuts isn't it? Why is Debbie Bosanek paying a higher tax rate than her billionaire boss? I guess I just caused class warfare by asking for equality and I am using Debbie Bosanek as pawn for my own personal gain.
    Alex Jones has more on the ball than you... continue with the slide show...please!
    11-17-2014 11:58 AM
    I think you may be overstating a bit.
    He is 100% correct...
    11-17-2014 11:58 AM
    We all know climate change/climate collapse is a hoax...It democratic fear mongering that the sky is falling..Truth is the earth has not warmed in 20 years. The ice caps are expanding..

Remember:: Former vice president Al Gore, won a Nobel Prize in 2007 for claiming that there is a dangerous man-made global warming that threatens the world. However, it has since been revealed that he convinced many people through inaccurate information in his "documentary," i.e., he only won the Nobel Prize by lying.
    Hmmm. No. Entertaining though.

11-17-2014 12:04 PM
179 12345 ...