12-05-2014 05:51 AM
179 ... 5678
tools
    The ends justify the means. I disagree. Especially since it is a leap of faith to assume the fear naturally drives them to vote in their own self interest. But it does reinforce a growing trend in right wing politics...ideology trumps reality regardless of the outcomes.
    Sure, it's possible for people to make mistakes with voting, but they learn from them and change their voting habits in the future.

If the right wing is really that powerful in that it can trump reality with its ideology, then I don't really hold much hope for the left wing.
    11-20-2014 06:32 PM
    Sure, it's possible for people to make mistakes with voting, but they learn from them and change their voting habits in the future.

If the right wing is really that powerful in that it can trump reality with its ideology, then I don't really hold much hope for the left wing.
    Not what they are capable of doing...how they are limited in thinking.
    11-20-2014 07:01 PM
    Not what they are capable of doing...how they are limited in thinking.
    People just need to know enough to pull the lever next to a candidate's name in the voting booth. It's the responsibility of the candidates of any party to convince the people that they are the right choice.
    11-20-2014 07:18 PM
    People just need to know enough to pull the lever next to a candidate's name in the voting booth. It's the responsibility of the candidates of any party to convince the people that they are the right choice.
    Not the voter. You're really missing on all points here.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-21-2014 12:31 AM
    Not the voter. You're really missing on all points here.
    Perhaps I've caught the same bug that plagued the Democrats during the 2014 midterm elections. That would explain why I'm missing on all the points.

In any case, I would agree with you that the Republicans are very good at convincing voters to vote for their platform.
    11-21-2014 01:24 PM
    Perhaps I've caught the same bug that plagued the Democrats during the 2014 midterm elections. That would explain why I'm missing on all the points.

In any case, I would agree with you that the Republicans are very good at convincing voters to vote for their platform.
    Only the minority of voters though. The midterm election had horrible turnout with anyone except republicans and almost all the wins were in red states. If you look at the electoral map and the areas of the country with the largest populations, the republican party as it exists today is unlikely to ever win the whitehouse again and will lose the senate in 2016. The house they will keep most likely but that is all they are likely to keep. The reason they keep that is due mainly to gerrymandering. In 2012 the congressional democrats received over 2 million more votes than the congressional republicans but still didn't take the house back. The districts have been gerrymandered to an absurd level on the red side. That hurts the republicans though as it allows the crazy right to keep pushing the moderates that exist to behave like they are crazy too. In my opinion that is.
    GadgetGator and Scott7217 like this.
    11-21-2014 02:17 PM

The right wing has endless resources to pound falsehoods into the voter's mind. They have done a masterful job at convincing the rest of the country that Reagan's administration was flawless. I'm old enough to remember and he was perfectly fine with gutting the middle class, busting up unions, and spending millions, oh and raising taxes. Yet somehow the right wing has masterfully brainwashed 'duh masses" into thinking he was a great president. In a few years you'll hear them try to spin GWB's legacy as great, and paint Obama's legacy as a great depressive failure.

While I think Obama's administration hasn't been what was advertised, lets look at the record, millions finally have insurance, unemployment is down (people claim the jobs are horrible jobs, but I get called at least 5 times a day from head hunters needing IT professionals), I haven't seen gas spikes like I saw when GWB was in office (we've had some, but they haven't been as drastic as I remember), and the Stock Market (not that big a deal to me) is in record territory. Not exactly a complete utter failure as the right wing PR machine would have you believe. Oh and I'm not embarrassed when Obama meets with foreign dignitary like I was when Bush met with them.
    GadgetGator and A895 like this.
    11-21-2014 02:50 PM
    Only the minority of voters though. The midterm election had horrible turnout with anyone except republicans and almost all the wins were in red states. If you look at the electoral map and the areas of the country with the largest populations, the republican party as it exists today is unlikely to ever win the whitehouse again and will lose the senate in 2016.
    I think the key point in your post is that the Republican party "as it exists today" is unlikely to win. Things can change between now and 2016. The Republicans figured out how to hold onto the presidency for 8 years when they nominated George W. Bush. Maybe they can do it again.
    11-22-2014 05:40 PM
    Has anyone heard how the Republicans are going to try to get the Keystone Pipeline Bill passed in January? Crazy, the lot of them.
    11-22-2014 07:04 PM
    I think the key point in your post is that the Republican party "as it exists today" is unlikely to win. Things can change between now and 2016. The Republicans figured out how to hold onto the presidency for 8 years when they nominated George W. Bush. Maybe they can do it again.
    That is why I chose those words. It will be the same in 2 years in my opinion. Shrub had dubious victories.

11-22-2014 10:50 PM
    What do you think will change in a scant two years? The electoral map is stacked against them. Without even trying, the blue states give a Democratic candidate the majority of votes they need. Which means it is now an uphill battle for the Republicans. Which also means the party would have to be on their best behavior in order to win virtually every state they possibly could, with very little room for error.

But the damage has already been done. Their attacks on gay people don't play well with younger voters, their calls for no minimum wage increase doesn't play well with the working class, their push for voting restrictions doesn't play well with a lot of African American communities, their end runs around Roe v. Wade doesn't play well with a lot of women, leaving an immigration bill sitting on the Republican House speaker's desk does not play well with Hispanics. On and on it goes.

In a game with a low margin for error, they have alienated a LOT of groups. Two years isn't going to reverse that. The damage has already been done and there is a LOT of water under that bridge.

I don't see how they take the White House again anytime soon. Neither do some conservatives: http://www.redstate.com/diary/6755mm...or-ever-again/

Posted via Android Central App
    palandri, A895, grover5 and 1 others like this.
    11-23-2014 12:01 PM
    Has anyone heard how the Republicans are going to try to get the Keystone Pipeline Bill passed in January? Crazy, the lot of them.
    I think based on the elections from a few weeks ago, the GOP thinks that they have a pulse on the peoples' mind. They only have a read on less than 1/3 of the population's mind. What will most likely happen is that they'll overreach, and come 2016 you're going to see the pendulum swing the other way. What's sad is the people that show in 2016 won't show in 2018 and we'll see the same thing again.
    A895 and GadgetGator like this.
    11-23-2014 12:18 PM
    Can someone explain to me why in the past it was "don't complain about what congress does if you didn't vote", but this time the left is telling congress not to read too much into the election because "only 1/3 of the voters turned out."
    11-23-2014 12:34 PM
    Can someone explain to me why in the past it was "don't complain about what congress does if you didn't vote", but this time the left is telling congress not to read too much into the election because "only 1/3 of the voters turned out."
    Well they aren't wrong.

Posted via Razr M on the Android Central App
    11-23-2014 01:09 PM
    There is no contradiction here.

11-23-2014 01:28 PM
    There is no contradiction here.
    The two statements can stand independent of each other. The contradiction lies where prior years held the non-voters accountable when complaining, but this time they almost get a free pass.
    11-23-2014 01:34 PM
    The two statements can stand independent of each other. The contradiction lies where prior years held the non-voters accountable when complaining, but this time they almost get a free pass.
    Not really. Both statements are true. And I use both in talking to people who might not have voted.

It wasn't a mandate. I get so tired of hearing John Boehner say "the American people want"...he has no clue what the American people want. But by the same token, if you didn't vote you cannot complain about the outcome.

Posted via Android Central App
    A895 and grover5 like this.
    11-23-2014 02:33 PM
    The right wing has endless resources to pound falsehoods into the voter's mind.
    Why would anyone believe in anything that was false?

I'm not sure I would say that the right wing has endless resources, but they do enjoy significant backing from a lot of people who believe in them.
    11-23-2014 04:06 PM
    Lll
    Not really. Both statements are true. And I use both in talking to people who might not have voted.
    That's what I said, but what is being put out there to the masses is different than it was. I'm thinking by and large, it's just the left being sore losers.

Though I will acknowledge your specific consistency.
    11-23-2014 05:54 PM
    Why would anyone believe in anything that was false?
    It happens all the time. It would be nice if we had more fact checking taking place, but the distortion of fact is exactly how the special interests/top campaign contributors get their legislation passed.
    palandri and A895 like this.
    11-23-2014 06:06 PM
    I wouldn't say anyone is getting a free pass when policy will be written that will affect them for better or worse.
    A895 and palandri like this.
    11-23-2014 06:50 PM
    Why would anyone believe in anything that was false?.....
    snopes.com: 25 Hottest Urban Legends
    A895 likes this.
    11-23-2014 06:57 PM
    Miley Cyrus Dead?

Posted via Razr M on the Android Central App
    palandri likes this.
    11-23-2014 07:01 PM
    I actually used Snopes to prove my right-wing co-worker's political BS and he told me that Snopes was a liberal website..... I couldn't help but laugh.....
    palandri likes this.
    11-23-2014 07:16 PM
    That is why I chose those words. It will be the same in 2 years in my opinion. Shrub had dubious victories.
    Sure, if you flip a coin three times, it's not impossible to get three heads or three tails in a row.

You certainly don't have to like Bush, but at least we can agree that he won two terms in office. Just ask Al Gore and John Kerry.
    11-23-2014 07:24 PM
179 ... 5678