...in high school sports.

I'll start by saying when trying to find info on this subject, about all I saw were obvious right wing/conservative articles such as this:

Minnesota Plans To Eliminate Gender Distinctions In High School Sports

I didn't see anything from a balanced or even left leaning standpoint and would welcome reading one if anyone else has a source. Basically it sounds like Minnesota is trying to remove the concept of boys and girls sports in high school (even at the home school level) and allowing trans-gendered kids to participate as the opposite of their biological sex.

Ok, let's get the obvious out of the way. What are the schools going to do when a boy checks a girl in hockey that's half his size and severely injures her? That's part of why the genders are separated in the first place. Biologically speaking, boys and girls develop differently, regardless of their perceived gender.

Despite the spin in that article, the concept is troubling for me. For one, I've seen a lot of times where "gender confused" kids are, well, faking it to be blunt. Either because they want the attention or to be part of the in-crowd in some of the circles I've ran in before. I don't deny that when puberty hits, kids go through some natural questioning about sexuality, but it seems kids are pushed to automatically make the jump from that to "Congrats, you're trans, gay, poly, *insert non-traditional sex/gender type here*!" simply by asking a question. More often than not, I've witnessed that in the form of peer pressure. So I think pushing for these rules would only increase confusion in kids and hinders their natural development. I know the article I linked addresses this too, but it's a feeling I've had for a number of years through personal observations.

The other big issue I have is raging hormones. To quote the newspaper ad against this in the article:

A male wants to shower beside your 14 year old daughter. Are you ok with that?
    This also extends as far as to have co-ed hotel rooms for events. "Adult activities" already happen a lot even when rooms are separated by gender. Does anyone in their right mind not think this will only make it easier? If we really want to explore the extent of this, what's to stop a boy from saying he wants to be a girl just so he can shower and sleep with them? And once that decision is made, could it be reversed? Or what about a girl that thinks she should be a boy, you'd be throwing her to the wolves in a high school locker room. And before you say that'll never happen, what is the guideline to determine if the kid is sincere, going through normal questioning about gender and sex but not trans, or simply trying to pull a fast one over the teachers?

One thing I also noticed about that article is that it is heavily biased to boys wanting to be girls. It's almost as if no girl ever considered wanting to be male. That just seemed odd to be lopsided like that.
    12-05-2014 10:43 AM
    Wait for the first "girl" to get de-cleated by a 6'3 mlb and parents will be in an uproar. Like it or not you can't change a persons genes, regardless of what you do to the outside.
    12-05-2014 01:56 PM
    I know nothing about the issue, but may want to look to the source, the mshsl. I am sure they are not a bunch of crazy left wing liberals trying to eliminate/blend gender.

I serious doubt it has anything to do with coed showering. That sounds like a right wing fear point.

You make statements like, "...For one, I've seen a lot of times where "gender confused" kids are, well, faking it to be blunt....". How would you know that? Personally, I've never known a gender confused kid, and you seem to see it a lot.
    12-05-2014 02:52 PM
    You make statements like, "...For one, I've seen a lot of times where "gender confused" kids are, well, faking it to be blunt....". How would you know that? Personally, I've never known a gender confused kid, and you seem to see it a lot.
    It was mainly on web forms, but occasionally in the real world too. I don't see it as much as I used to because I'm not as active in such places anymore, but it happened so often that it became something of a running joke with others. Some kids would flip flop back and forth over and over and make a big to do about it. Then get mad when people stopped paying attention to them effectively crying wolf. Others would express even a mild thought like a boy wondering what it's like to be a girl and vice versa (a logical question imho and one I've had before), and the others would dog pile on the person and try to essentially fully convert them. It was kind of sickening to be honest.
    12-05-2014 04:11 PM
    like a boy wondering what it's like to be a girl and vice versa
    This really happens?

SMH.
    01-05-2015 01:41 PM
    One thing I also noticed about that article is that it is heavily biased to boys wanting to be girls. It's almost as if no girl ever considered wanting to be male. That just seemed odd to be lopsided like that.
    well to be fair on that part you will not tend to hear an uproar over a girl being in said environment around a lot boys. (aka the boys parents) It is not the side you will see the out rage as much on.
    01-07-2015 12:05 PM
    Maybe this is why

Minnesota tries removing gender distinctions-eqyrkj.jpg
    Scott7217 likes this.
    01-16-2015 09:12 AM
    Maybe this is why

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eqyrkj.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	159474
    And then tie that into the fact that our environment has changed, our food supply has more hormone injections, our products are coated with chemicals that have been known to zap testosterone levels, and don't forget that more and more women are performing what used to be male only roles (studies have shown that some children are born with higher level of estrogen/testosterone that coincide with the mother's levels, i.e. if the mother does a lot of heavy lifting, she's going to have more testosterone in her body that may affect the baby she's carrying).

What's sad is that instead of actually studying why this is happening and showing some actual concern, we have to deal with the willful ignorance of the phenomena, "Oh it's just a phase", "They'll grow out of it". I personally never had any confusion about my gender and never had to deal with a "phase" such as this. Maybe the people claiming this are closeting something? Granted, the people screaming loudest against these types of stories are typically homophobic religious nuts that shun science in the first place. What's funny is that if "God" is so infallible in his "Creation" of our existence, then how is it he has created something that most religious people believe to be a perversion that happens across all species of the animal kingdom? Isn't it blasphemy to consider one of his creations a perversion?
    palandri likes this.
    01-17-2015 09:40 PM
    Maybe this is why
    Would there be an issue over scholarships? For example, would we still have athletic scholarships for girls and boys going to college? Would there be a separate scholarship for transgender students, or would they apply for a scholarship for the gender they identify with?
    01-22-2015 07:42 PM