01-27-2015 06:51 PM
262 ... 56789 ...
tools
    If the union is protecting corrupt cops, it's basically aiding and abetting its members who have no qualms about beating up and shooting ordinary citizens.

Perhaps the police union should be declared an illegal organization and disbanded. Would that be a step in the right direction?
    I tend to be more pro union in general, but there can become a point where a union does more harm than good. With the NYC police force, I think we are at that point.

Posted via Android Central App
    A895 and Scott7217 like this.
    12-29-2014 02:09 PM
    If the union is protecting corrupt cops, it's basically aiding and abetting its members who have no qualms about beating up and shooting ordinary citizens.

Perhaps the police union should be declared an illegal organization and disbanded. Would that be a step in the right direction?
    What's your definition of "corrupt"? I hear that when a cop pulls another cop that's off duty, over for speeding, they only give them a warning as a "professional courtesy". That seems a little corrupt to me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    A895 likes this.
    12-29-2014 03:00 PM
    So for the second funeral and second week in a row, some of the police turned their backs on the mayor AGAIN. Even after being asked not to.

These people are bad cops. If they ignore chain of command on this issue, what other things are they ignoring? I said it last week, and it applies even more now...fire these officers. They are not worthy of wearing the uniform, seem to have no boundaries, and the city would be better off without them.

palandri and A895 like this.
    01-05-2015 03:17 PM
    I tend to be more pro union in general, but there can become a point where a union does more harm than good. With the NYC police force, I think we are at that point.
    If the union is in place, I don't think we'll see any significant changes. They will protect their members with everything they have. The union will not give up without a fight.

On a slightly related note, a lot of police departments sent officers to attend the funerals of Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu, the two officers who were killed.

Some officers even came from Canada, so it looks like there is a lot of support for the NYPD. JetBlue even offered to fly police officers to the funerals.
    01-07-2015 01:14 PM
    What's your definition of "corrupt"?
    In general, I follow what's written in the law. New York penal code article 195.00 seems like a good place to start.

195.00 Official misconduct.

A public servant is guilty of official misconduct when, with intent to obtain a benefit or deprive another person of a benefit:

1. He commits an act relating to his office but constituting an unauthorized exercise of his official functions, knowing that such act is unauthorized; or

2. He knowingly refrains from performing a duty which is imposed upon him by law or is clearly inherent in the nature of his office.

Official misconduct is a class A misdemeanor.
    01-07-2015 09:28 PM
    In general, I follow what's written in the law. New York penal code article 195.00 seems like a good place to start.

195.00 Official misconduct.

A public servant is guilty of official misconduct when, with intent to obtain a benefit or deprive another person of a benefit:

1. He commits an act relating to his office but constituting an unauthorized exercise of his official functions, knowing that such act is unauthorized; or

2. He knowingly refrains from performing a duty which is imposed upon him by law or is clearly inherent in the nature of his office.

Official misconduct is a class A misdemeanor.
    You know it was only about a year or so ago that congress could profit from insider trading right? They actually had to pass a law that prevented them from financial gain, but there are so many loopholes with that law that they can pass that information onto immediate family members who can act on their behalf. That seems pretty corrupt to me.....I hear Nancy Pelosi has a pretty big portfolio from doing just that.
    01-08-2015 11:03 PM
    So for the second funeral and second week in a row, some of the police turned their backs on the mayor AGAIN. Even after being asked not to.
    I'm sure someone will try to fire the cops for simply turning their backs on Mayor Bill de Blasio.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the union sues the city to claim that the officers were exercising their First Amendment rights.

With the way the Supreme Court is going, the union might win, and then the city will have to reinstate the fired cops and pay back any lost wages and legal fees.
    01-08-2015 11:31 PM
    I'm sure someone will try to fire the cops for simply turning their backs on Mayor Bill de Blasio.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the union sues the city to claim that the officers were exercising their First Amendment rights.

With the way the Supreme Court is going, the union might win, and then the city will have to reinstate the fired cops and pay back any lost wages and legal fees.
    Right to Protest shouldn't be covering someone not doing their job, point blank. Someone can protest all they want, but you can't do it on the city's dime.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Scott7217 likes this.
    01-09-2015 08:47 AM
    Right to Protest shouldn't be covering someone not doing their job, point blank. Someone can protest all they want, but you can't do it on the city's dime.

Teachers unions have protested for decades. Why is OK for one public servant to protest and not another?
    01-09-2015 10:51 AM
    Teachers unions have protested for decades. Why is OK for one public servant to protest and not another?
    Ones job doesn't depend on serving the community at large and lives being at risk. They can protest on their own time.

01-09-2015 09:04 PM
    At funerals?

A895 likes this.
    01-10-2015 06:16 PM
    At funerals?

Doesn't matter where. Were those cops on duty? Simple being in uniform doesn't mean anything. Pickering v Board of education gave public employees the ability to maintain their freedom of speech as a concern citizens.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    01-10-2015 07:14 PM
    Doesn't matter where. Were those cops on duty? Simple being in uniform doesn't mean anything. Pickering v Board of education gave public employees the ability to maintain their freedom of speech as a concern citizens.
    Wrong place and time. That was extremely disrespectful to people who attended not to mention the mayor. They think that nonsense was worth anything.

GadgetGator likes this.
    01-10-2015 10:22 PM
    It most certainly DOES matter. A funeral is a solemn occasion. It's not an ordinary event and certainly is NOT the place for a protest. If someone isn't going to respect that, then what and where will they?

A895 likes this.
    01-11-2015 02:32 AM
    Ones job doesn't depend on serving the community at large and lives being at risk. They can protest on their own time.

Who do teachers serve then if they don't serve the community at large? Did we not all at least make it to the 12th grade?
    01-12-2015 12:40 PM
    It most certainly DOES matter. A funeral is a solemn occasion. It's not an ordinary event and certainly is NOT the place for a protest. If someone isn't going to respect that, then what and where will they?

Did the widows create an uproar? Because they would be the only ones who have a right to voice their displeasure about what took place at their loved ones wake/funeral. You seem to be offended by it, but in all honesty your offense really doesn't matter much in the grand scheme. They turned their backs to a big screen in the street when DeBlasio was talking, lets keep things in perspective. I'm also pretty sure their was a petition going around that members could sign that stated they didn't want him at their funerals. DeBlasio campaigned blasting cops, is it a shock they don't care for him after the fact?
    01-12-2015 12:50 PM
    Did the widows create an uproar? Because they would be the only ones who have a right to voice their displeasure about what took place at their loved ones wake/funeral. You seem to be offended by it, but in all honesty your offense really doesn't matter much in the grand scheme. They turned their backs to a big screen in the street when DeBlasio was talking, lets keep things in perspective. I'm also pretty sure their was a petition going around that members could sign that stated they didn't want him at their funerals. DeBlasio campaigned blasting cops, is it a shock they don't care for him after the fact?
    I'll say it again for you: If a funeral of all places is not a place to set aside differences and to be respectful, then where is?

A895 likes this.
    01-12-2015 03:19 PM
    I'll say it again for you: If a funeral of all places is not a place to set aside differences and to be respectful, then where is?

And I'll ask again, did the widows raise a stink? I would say turning your back on the mayor is hardly disrespecting the deceased. You act like they were spitting and hurling profanity laced tirades at a mans funeral. Perspective.
    01-12-2015 03:34 PM
    And I'll ask again, did the widows raise a stink? I would say turning your back on the mayor is hardly disrespecting the deceased. You act like they were spitting and hurling profanity laced tirades at a mans funeral. Perspective.
    In other words you can't answer the simple question.

You seem to think that offensiveness hinges on the widows being offended. What about the children? What about friends? What about other family members? What about the guy laying in the casket himself? What if such actions go against their wishes? All fine and dandy for ya?

It seems that you think anything goes, even at a funeral. I say no. I say that there are certain places and events where protest and political actions are in fact not appropriate. Some places and things are just sacred. Or at least they should be.

A895 likes this.
    01-12-2015 06:20 PM
    Someone can protest all they want, but you can't do it on the city's dime.
    In other words, if the police weren't being paid during the time they turned their backs on Mayor de Blasio in protest, then it's acceptable.

That's an interesting take on the matter.
    01-12-2015 09:18 PM
    In other words you can't answer the simple question.

You seem to think that offensiveness hinges on the widows being offended. What about the children? What about friends? What about other family members? What about the guy laying in the casket himself? What if such actions go against their wishes? All fine and dandy for ya?

It seems that you think anything goes, even at a funeral. I say no. I say that there are certain places and events where protest and political actions are in fact not appropriate. Some places and things are just sacred. Or at least they should be.

Again, who at the funeral is making a fuss outside of de Blasio and Bratton? The only ones who are are outside lookers on who are hell bent to point out cops are bad guys. Like I said before, no one was hurling profanity laced tirades. It was a quiet demonstration to show their lack of support for the mayor. Lets not make it out to be something more than what it was.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    01-13-2015 09:51 AM
    Again, who at the funeral is making a fuss outside of de Blasio and Bratton? The only ones who are are outside lookers on who are hell bent to point out cops are bad guys. Like I said before, no one was hurling profanity laced tirades. It was a quiet demonstration to show their lack of support for the mayor. Lets not make it out to be something more than what it was.
    Yes or no? Do you think anything goes at a funeral? Is anything acceptable? Do you have boundaries...any at all?

In the 1950's people had manners and such an action would never have even considered much less actually done. Now people such as yourself think to hell with manners, funerals are fair game.

No. They are not.

Clearly people in today's generation aren't being raised right and no longer know what is right or wrong anymore. Standards have clearly slipped

A895 likes this.
    01-13-2015 05:22 PM
    A funeral isn't the time or place to make political statements. Because of their ignorance, funerals of two slain cops are remembered as being the event in the background of cops showing their displeasure with the mayor. Unacceptable for people who we are supposed to entrust with public safety and making right decisions.

GadgetGator likes this.
    01-13-2015 07:06 PM
    Yes or no? Do you think anything goes at a funeral? Is anything acceptable? Do you have boundaries...any at all?

In the 1950's people had manners and such an action would never have even considered much less actually done. Now people such as yourself think to hell with manners, funerals are fair game.

No. They are not.

Clearly people in today's generation aren't being raised right and no longer know what is right or wrong anymore. Standards have clearly slipped

Does anything go? No. Is what they did unthinkable, absolutely not. The widows of the deceased are the only ones you have to be concerned about offending and neither one has come out and stated they were. Nor have they suggested those actions be curtailed at future funerals of officers. For all you know those two dead cops despised deBlasio after he campaigned ripping them left and right. What is clear is their isn't any uproar coming from any of the attendees not named deBlasio or Bratton.
    01-13-2015 07:16 PM
    Does anything go? No. Is what they did unthinkable, absolutely not. The widows of the deceased are the only ones you have to be concerned about offending and neither one has come out and stated they were. Nor have they suggested those actions be curtailed at future funerals of officers. For all you know those two dead cops despised deBlasio after he campaigned ripping them left and right. What is clear is their isn't any uproar coming from any of the attendees not named deBlasio or Bratton.
    Here's the flaw with your logic. You say that the only ones to be concerned about are the widows (strangely ignoring other family members like parents or siblings) but do you think these cops ran to the widows beforehand and asked permission? I sincerely doubt it.

The time to worry about widows being offended is before the action, not after the fact. And just because the widows have not called the press conference you seem to want, does not mean they were not offended.

A895 likes this.
    01-13-2015 07:48 PM
262 ... 56789 ...