01-27-2015 06:51 PM
262 ... 7891011
tools
    So something is "wrong" if a widow complains publicly, but if they don't it's okay?

Interesting. To me wrong is wrong, not conditional. But clearly you have different standards of both police and funerals than I do. I expect better from both.

Posted via Android Central App
    We don't know if anyone asked either widow if such a silent demonstration would be OK. If the widows said OK, would it still be such a despicable act as many here are claiming it was?
    Scott7217 likes this.
    01-19-2015 10:58 AM
    We don't know if anyone asked either widow if such a silent demonstration would be OK. If the widows said OK, would it still be such a despicable act as many here are claiming it was?
    Yes. Impoliteness doesn't belong at a funeral. You are there to pay your respects, not use the occasion as a venue for your own selfish personal gain/issues/gripes. That's not what the day is about. There are plenty of other days and more suitable places for those things.

01-19-2015 02:16 PM
    The person that would ask such a question would be someone that I would call extremely ill mannered, "Excuse me ma'am, I know you just lost your husband, and we want to attend your husband's funeral to help mourn your loss with you, but are you ok with us turning our backs at the Mayor in protest while you mourn your deceased husband?" Soooooo classsssyyyyyyyy!
    GadgetGator likes this.
    01-19-2015 06:14 PM
    If the widows said OK, would it still be such a despicable act as many here are claiming it was?
    No, it would not be despicable. It's just another form of expression that is protected under the First Amendment. If anything, the controversy encourages debate on the topic, which is good.
    01-19-2015 10:11 PM
    No, it would not be despicable. It's just another form of expression that is protected under the First Amendment. If anything, the controversy encourages debate on the topic, which is good.
    Just another form of expression? Some people, and not just in the NYC police department, have a distorted view of right and wrong. People used to know the difference. There was a clear line. But now the lines have become blurred. Like I said earlier, society's standards have slipped. Which I find both appalling and unacceptable. And I will continue to call out such Ill mannered behavior wherever I encounter or see examples of it.

It's rather shocking and sad that some of you think funerals are fair game now.

01-20-2015 02:55 PM
    Just another form of expression? Some people, and not just in the NYC police department, have a distorted view of right and wrong. People used to know the difference. There was a clear line. But now the lines have become blurred. Like I said earlier, society's standards have slipped. Which I find both appalling and unacceptable. And I will continue to call out such Ill mannered behavior wherever I encounter or see examples of it.

It's rather shocking and sad that some of you think funerals are fair game now.

So according to you even if the wife gave the thumbs up at her husbands memorial, it is wrong because you deem it to be? I've been to some off the wall weddings that I'm positive some of the attendees who were there found some offense. I've also been to funerals with 200+ bikers (Chicago Outlaws, Black Pistons, ect). At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what the attendees think if my wife or I say something is GTG.
    01-20-2015 03:12 PM
    And I will continue to call out such Ill mannered behavior wherever I encounter or see examples of it.
    It is definitely your right to express your opinion on this issue. That's one of the benefits of living in America. You can criticize the government. You can protest at a funeral or condemn such a protest. You can even draw cartoons of religious people.

Hopefully all this talk about the NYPD's behavior will lead to actual changes in the department.
    01-20-2015 03:15 PM
    Hopefully all this talk about the NYPD's behavior will lead to actual changes in the department.
    Don't hold your breath....but if you must, dress appropriately....

So, the police are being hunted now....sigh....-635536827412306900-2014-12-08-i-cant-breathe.jpg
    GadgetGator and Scott7217 like this.
    01-20-2015 07:44 PM
    So according to you even if the wife gave the thumbs up at her husbands memorial, it is wrong because you deem it to be? I've been to some off the wall weddings that I'm positive some of the attendees who were there found some offense. I've also been to funerals with 200+ bikers (Chicago Outlaws, Black Pistons, ect). At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what the attendees think if my wife or I say something is GTG.
    Yes. There is a certain amount of decorum expected at a funeral. You want to compare wacky weddings to selfish political actions and your comparison continues to fall flat on it's face. They are so not the same thing.

You also keep hanging onto some hypothetical notion of wives giving permission. As if such a conversation took place. "Hey we know it's your husband's funeral, but do you mind if we use this opportunity to call attention to ourselves and our grievances instead? You don't mind, right?".

Even the suggestion of such a conversation taking place is ludicrous. Let alone what such a conversation would sound like. I mean really, how selfish do you have to be to ask something like that?

01-21-2015 03:21 PM
    Yes. There is a certain amount of decorum expected at a funeral.
    I find it interesting that you cannot cite any part of the First Amendment that gives exceptions to funerals.
    01-21-2015 04:26 PM
    I find it interesting that you cannot cite any part of the First Amendment that gives exceptions to funerals.
    Does it need to be in the First Amendment to have it deemed distasteful?
    A895 likes this.
    01-21-2015 06:13 PM
    Jesus....it's called MANNERS. Maybe you've heard of them?

Also, the first amendment is for public political events. Not funerals. For instance you can show up at someone's event, but you don't have the right to strip naked and start shouting obscenities at it. There are standards of common decency that we all abide by. Or at least used to. Like I said, our standards have slipped and people no longer know right from wrong.

A895 likes this.
    01-21-2015 06:45 PM
    My question to everyone that's ok with the protest at the funeral, is what the Westboro Baptist church does at soldiers' funerals ok with you as well? If you answer no then you're a hypocrite.
    GadgetGator and A895 like this.
    01-21-2015 07:03 PM
    States seize cash, property from motorists
    http://www.cnn.com//2015/01/21/us/as...res/index.html This should tell you something about the misuse of authority that some police departments are guilty of. I'm not sure why some of you don't believe that the system is broken. You're either too young to understand how things should be, or oblivious because you have never experienced police misconduct first hand.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    GadgetGator likes this.
    01-22-2015 09:46 AM
    My question to everyone that's ok with the protest at the funeral, is what the Westboro Baptist church does at soldiers' funerals ok with you as well? If you answer no then you're a hypocrite.
    Pretty sure the NYPD was invited, the Westboro Baptist Church never is. Also attendees at said funerals have never stated they wanted them there. If they wanna protest or do whatever crazy things they do from 4 blocks away, have at it. It's an apples to dump trucks comparison. Pretty sure the NYPD wasn't holding up any signage or even speaking at the funeral.
    01-22-2015 10:19 AM
    Pretty sure the NYPD was invited, the Westboro Baptist Church never is. Also attendees at said funerals have never stated they wanted them there. If they wanna protest or do whatever crazy things they do from 4 blocks away, have at it. It's an apples to dump trucks comparison. Pretty sure the NYPD wasn't holding up any signage or even speaking at the funeral.
    So if you are "invited" as a guest somewhere, are you on your best behavior or do you make someone else's event all about you?

And if you do make a selfish *** of yourself and people tell you please do not do it again, do you go ahead and do it anyway the following week at another event?

Because that's what happened here.

01-22-2015 11:57 AM
    So now you're equating "signage" with disrespect? Sorry but you don't understand the context of what's taking place at either situation. You can't just assign context. Both are in bad taste, just because you're in agreement with one over the other doesn't mean one is less offensive than the other. You're arguing for the cause and not for the act of carrying out a protest at a FUNERAL.
    01-22-2015 12:05 PM
    Does it need to be in the First Amendment to have it deemed distasteful?
    We already have the right under the First Amendment to express our opinions on whether something is distasteful or not. The issue is whether anyone can prohibit free expression. The government has been very reluctant to put restrictions because anything that would obstruct free expression often does not survive legal challenges.
    01-22-2015 03:57 PM
    We already have the right under the First Amendment to express our opinions on whether something is distasteful or not. The issue is whether anyone can prohibit free expression. The government has been very reluctant to put restrictions because anything that would obstruct free expression often does not survive legal challenges.
    We're not discussing the legality, we're discussing whether it's in good taste or not. This wasn't in good taste.
    01-22-2015 05:28 PM
    We're not discussing the legality, we're discussing whether it's in good taste or not. This wasn't in good taste.
    Like I alluded to in a previous post, people don't have to like the police officers turning their backs on Mayor de Blasio. People are free to criticize their actions.
    01-22-2015 06:07 PM
    Like I alluded to in a previous post, people don't have to like the police officers turning their backs on Mayor de Blasio. People are free to criticize their actions.
    What's funny is that you're ok with the actions of these officers and are invoking 1st amendment rights on their behalf because the mayor is adamantly against these very people's violation of a citizen's 4th amendment rights.

If anything, the mayor has a point, any law that denies someone their 4th amendment right (or any right) needs to be removed. If police officers are upset about that, then they can move to Russia or some other country where a citizen's rights are an afterthought.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    01-22-2015 06:16 PM
    Also, the first amendment is for public political events. Not funerals.
    So, let's take a look at the First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I don't see anything that specifies that the First Amendment only applies to public political events. I also don't see anything that would exclude funerals from the protection given by the First Amendment.
    01-22-2015 06:16 PM
    If anything, the mayor has a point, any law that denies someone their 4th amendment right (or any right) needs to be removed.
    People are free to ask their representatives to amend the law. Having police officers turn their backs on Mayor de Blasio does not halt the legal process to amend the law.
    01-22-2015 06:21 PM
    So, let's take a look at the First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I don't see anything that specifies that the First Amendment only applies to public political events. I also don't see anything that would exclude funerals from the protection given by the First Amendment.
    A place where funerals generally take place is considered private property. It's not a government building nor a public domain. It's akin to going to a movie theater and trying to picket inside the theater. They will throw you out for being disruptive. I'm sure if the widowers of these peace officers wanted these inconsiderate people thrown out, she could've had them thrown out. This has nothing to do with first amendment rights in THIS setting. Now could they have thrown a fit outside on a public street? Sure, but even if the funeral took place on a public piece of land, still tasteless.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    01-22-2015 06:24 PM
    People are free to ask their representatives to amend the law. Having police officers turn their backs on Mayor de Blasio does not halt the legal process to amend the law.
    I think the people spoke when they voted in the Mayor. If the officers don't like it, then they can prop up their own candidate at the next election and assemble a Gestapo of their own.

So let me ask you this, why are you for stop and frisk?
    01-22-2015 06:28 PM
262 ... 7891011