01-07-2015 12:48 PM
46 12
tools
    I tried nitrogen once and tracked my mileage before and after. There was no discernable difference in fuel mileage. When you think about it, 32 psi is just that, regardless of the gas used. It helps if you're a racer and need consistency, but that's about it. Plus the place that filled mine didn't use pure nitrogen, it was a blend of nitrogen and ambient air. So even though the nitrogen molecules were bigger and not seeping out, the air was and I was still having to refill my tires now and then just as before. If a tire shop did it free (well, built into the price but still competitive), I wouldn't turn it down, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it. When I tried it several years ago, it was about $30 for all 4 regular car tires. Why buy that when the local gas station has free air?
    12-31-2014 03:28 PM
    I wonder if they have ever tried filling tires with helium? You fill balloons with helium and they float. It would take a little weight off the car. Not much, but a little.
    12-31-2014 04:50 PM
    I wonder if they have ever tried filling tires with helium? You fill balloons with helium and they float. It would take a little weight off the car. Not much, but a little.
    It would be really hard to keep the tires inflated. Helium is the second smallest atom and loves to find the smallest pores imaginable. Helium is used in all kinds of industries for leak testing. It finds holes and escapes very quickly and is easy to detect with a sensor sense there is not a whole lot in ambient air.

Sent from my XT1096
    palandri and A895 like this.
    12-31-2014 05:25 PM
    I tried nitrogen once and tracked my mileage before and after. There was no discernable difference in fuel mileage. When you think about it, 32 psi is just that, regardless of the gas used. It helps if you're a racer and need consistency, but that's about it. Plus the place that filled mine didn't use pure nitrogen, it was a blend of nitrogen and ambient air. So even though the nitrogen molecules were bigger and not seeping out, the air was and I was still having to refill my tires now and then just as before. If a tire shop did it free (well, built into the price but still competitive), I wouldn't turn it down, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it. When I tried it several years ago, it was about $30 for all 4 regular car tires. Why buy that when the local gas station has free air?
    Funny thing is, air is around 70% nitrogen. But that last 30% is made up of some pretty sensitive gases such as oxygen and water vapor.

Sent from my XT1096
    12-31-2014 05:29 PM
    Funny thing is, air is around 70% nitrogen. But that last 30% is made up of some pretty sensitive gases such as oxygen and water vapor.

Sent from my XT1096
    Yeah, it was one of those things I felt like experimenting with because I had the money at the time.
    12-31-2014 06:56 PM
    Does anyone have a reliable estimate of how much fossil fuel we have left? How many decades before we have depleted it all? And then what?

It seems like the trajectory we are on (increasingly mobile world with increased industrialization) is on a collision course with depleting resources. The more we run out, the faster we use it. And I just don't see technology catching up here.

It really makes me wonder what kind of world we would be living in today if there had never ever been fossil fuels.

And what kind of world we are leaving for future generations.

Posted via Android Central App
    palandri likes this.
    01-03-2015 07:02 PM
    Does anyone have a reliable estimate of how much fossil fuel we have left? How many decades before we have depleted it all? And then what?...
    I don't think anyone knows for sure. I think Sweden is the only country that has a plan to be fossil fuel free by 2020 or 2025? I would imagine they would still need fossil fuel at airports.
    NoYankees44 likes this.
    01-03-2015 09:10 PM
    Does anyone have a reliable estimate of how much fossil fuel we have left? How many decades before we have depleted it all? And then what?

It seems like the trajectory we are on (increasingly mobile world with increased industrialization) is on a collision course with depleting resources. The more we run out, the faster we use it. And I just don't see technology catching up here.

It really makes me wonder what kind of world we would be living in today if there had never ever been fossil fuels.

And what kind of world we are leaving for future generations.

I don't have any sort of reliable time line, but I do know that there is several times the amount of fuels we have used still in the earth. We have only scratched the surface so far. The catch is that most of the oil that is left is much harder to get to than what we have pulled up so far. Also, we are obviously using all the fuels and higher and higher rates.

Us never having fossil fuels at all is an interesting question. We would definitely not be anywhere near as mobile or globalized as we are today. There is not some other magic source of energy that we have neglected to develop. Of course, other technologies may have developed farther than they already have, but I doubt it. Fossil fuels have allowed our society to reach higher levels technologically than I believe we could have ever without them. Fossil fuels truly are amazing at what they do. Our quality of life has reached amazing levels because of them.

The only question now is how we use the technical boost these fuel have given us to create an even better future. We will always need fossil fuels to some extent, even if it is not energy production or transportation. Many products we use every day such as plastic and mechanical lubrication are completely dependent on fossil fuels.

Sent from my XT1096
    palandri likes this.
    01-03-2015 09:51 PM
    I don't have any sort of reliable time line, but I do know that there is several times the amount of fuels we have used still in the earth. We have only scratched the surface so far. The catch is that most of the oil that is left is much harder to get to than what we have pulled up so far. Also, we are obviously using all the fuels and higher and higher rates.

Us never having fossil fuels at all is an interesting question. We would definitely not be anywhere near as mobile or globalized as we are today. There is not some other magic source of energy that we have neglected to develop. Of course, other technologies may have developed farther than they already have, but I doubt it. Fossil fuels have allowed our society to reach higher levels technologically than I believe we could have ever without them. Fossil fuels truly are amazing at what they do. Our quality of life has reached amazing levels because of them.

The only question now is how we use the technical boost these fuel have given us to create an even better future. We will always need fossil fuels to some extent, even if it is not energy production or transportation. Many products we use every day such as plastic and mechanical lubrication are completely dependent on fossil fuels.

Sent from my XT1096
    But if we will always need them to some extent, then we are screwed as one day they will run out. We better be finding some new ways to do things. Also get our butts into space looking for more resources.

palandri likes this.
    01-04-2015 01:00 PM
    But if we will always need them to some extent, then we are screwed as one day they will run out. We better be finding some new ways to do things. Also get our butts into space looking for more resources.

One of the cable channels, History or Science channel, did a show on what would happen if we all of a sudden ran out of oil. It would slow things down for quite a while, but we would recover from it. Things like steam engines would quickly gain popularity, electric engines, nuclear power, and alternatives to fossil fuel would start showing up..
    01-04-2015 02:49 PM
    I don't think anyone knows for sure. I think Sweden is the only country that has a plan to be fossil fuel free by 2020 or 2025? I would imagine they would still need fossil fuel at airports.
    I hear they have some new fangled tech.....

Toyota Mirai-boxclosed.jpg
    palandri likes this.
    01-04-2015 03:26 PM
    One of the cable channels, History or Science channel, did a show on what would happen if we all of a sudden ran out of oil. It would slow things down for quite a while, but we would recover from it. Things like steam engines would quickly gain popularity, electric engines, nuclear power, and alternatives to fossil fuel would start showing up..
    I would've rather seen how it would affect things politically. The cynic in me figures that the oil conglomerates already have a contingency plan in place if we should ever shake our dependency on oil. There are many conspiracy theories out there that have already named big oil as a suspect in stymieing attempts at trying to claim independence from big oil. The Saturn EV1 was one such story.
    palandri likes this.
    01-04-2015 05:32 PM
    This popped up in my fb feed a bit ago. Certainly sounds interesting, a car that could run 100 years before refueling.

http://m.1013thebrew.com/onair/brett...ears-13110736/
    01-05-2015 11:00 PM
    This popped up in my fb feed a bit ago. Certainly sounds interesting, a car that could run 100 years before refueling.

http://m.1013thebrew.com/onair/brett...ears-13110736/
    Wow, that seems really interesting and worth researching the potential viability.

01-06-2015 12:19 AM

VIDEO: Car Runs For 100 Years Without Refueling
    Thoughts of a nuclear powered car has been around for a long time. I don't think they have a way to totally protect the radioactive part in the event of an accident. The Voyager spacecraft has been running since 1977 with a nuclear motor/generator.
    01-06-2015 08:15 AM
    Thoughts of a nuclear powered car has been around for a long time. I don't think they have a way to totally protect the radioactive part in the event of an accident. The Voyager spacecraft has been running since 1977 with a nuclear motor/generator.

As you can tell, that's a pretty old video but shows that survivable nuclear shipping casks have existed for decades. There are strict standards they have to follow to be certified for use. My guess is that a container for such a small amount would be relatively simple to construct and quite thoroughly tested.
    palandri likes this.
    01-06-2015 09:48 AM
    As you can tell, that's a pretty old video but shows that survivable nuclear shipping casks have existed for decades. There are strict standards they have to follow to be certified for use. My guess is that a container for such a small amount would be relatively simple to construct and quite thoroughly tested.

Maybe they can make the containers safe.
    01-06-2015 10:27 AM
    Okay. But how dangerous is such a small amount? Is this stuff as dangerous as say, uranium?

01-06-2015 06:36 PM
    Okay. But how dangerous is such a small amount? Is this stuff as dangerous as say, uranium?

Good question. I don't know, but it is radioactive.
    01-06-2015 07:25 PM

The Wikipedia article on Thorium (hey, that name is already in my phone dictionary. Cool) says that its alpha radiation can't penetrate the skin, and has a half life greater than the age of the Earth. The downside is that it does decay into other, more radioactive, elements. So it's hard for regular folks to know how to balance that out.

I also skimmed a few other articles, and it at least seems to be agreed that it's safer in full scale nuclear reactors, with less waste, more abundance than uranium, and less risk of being used to make nuclear weapons. Seems there's some debate on that last bit because it's technically possible to have the right uranium isotope made as a byproduct of irradiating Thorium (which can then be further developed into weapons grade plutonium), but doing so pretty much requires the use of a nuclear reactor or processing facility doing so in a very specialized way. It's not something a terrorist group could do in a cave.

Reading about nuclear stuff can be quite interesting, even if it does make my brain hurt.
    palandri likes this.
    01-06-2015 07:48 PM
    What I find most loathsome about big corporate America (in this case the gas/oil industry) is that in order to protect their own interests, they will often buy politicians to get them to enact legislation that protects their industry while stifling progress.
    Well, if you buy a Toyota Mirai, you would be fighting back against the oil and gas industry. Why be a slave to their products?

We should support companies like Toyota that allow us to be free from fossil fuels.
    01-07-2015 12:48 PM
46 12