06-07-2015 03:48 AM
167 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I got a big kick out of this. When the Charlie Hebdo crisis happened, Fox News was talking about all these No-Go areas of France where non-Muslims couldn't enter. It was pretty crazy for them to say that.

A guy in Paris has a Twitter account called French Words that I follow. He caught wind of Fox News talking about No-Go areas and here's what he said on his Twitter account
    Great...I'm not sure that no one listens to them. Cool. Two negatives make a positive. Tell froggy to learn English before he or she posts in that language.
    01-16-2015 12:45 PM
    I bet that place was heavily guarded. That's not a good excuse for a top level U.S. representative not to show. I think it sends a bad message on Obama's part.
    However, if the US government had classified reports that indicated that the rally was too risky, then it would make sense for Obama or any other US official to not attend.

What kind of message do you think Obama is sending by not attending the rally? The US is already fighting terrorism, and it has always supported free speech.
    01-16-2015 02:17 PM
    However, if the US government had classified reports that indicated that the rally was too risky, then it would make sense for Obama or any other US official to not attend.

What kind of message do you think Obama is sending by not attending the rally? The US is already fighting terrorism, and it has always supported free speech.
    They haven't indicated that and I doubt their was any specific Intel. I think they just decided the situation was too risky and that the unity rally would be just another in a long line of rallies all over the world in the last few years. In other words, I don't think they realized that this one would be different. They screwed up. Especially in not having at least Holder attend considering he was already there.

That being said, this will all be forgotten about months and years from now.

Posted via Android Central App
    01-16-2015 07:01 PM

Still sounds like a cop out. There's going to be security logistics problems everywhere the President goes.

As far as the message sent, considering how poor our foreign policy was under GWB (going it practically alone in Iraq, all the "stoogery" such as trying to open a locked door in Beijing, getting a shoe thrown at him, oh hell, just see for yourself George W. Bush's 25 Most Embarrassing Moments *****For Grunt**** This is called PRESENTING FACTS) this was a good chance to show the rest of the world that we are unified with our allies and smooth over what it took GWB 8 years to destroy. Fighting terrorism isn't just about killing their soldiers, it's about showing these terrorists that we are unified against them. His no-show probably seemed like an act of isolationism to other world leaders.
    01-17-2015 10:25 PM
    The act of firing the cartoonist or the cartoonist's piece? Considering that Charile Hebdo is in it for profit, one simply has to put it into an equation. Would firing a cartoonist for creating work that it deemed "objectionable" to its target audience be more or less advantageous than Charlie Hebdo having to answer why it fired someone for objectionable material towards one religious group over another? I personally think that if Charlie Hebdo stood for freedom of expression regardless of who it offends, then firing someone for such a cartoon would only damage its credibility. Although, if their financial backers (readers, shareholders, etc) might be offended, sometimes you must sacrifice artistic integrity to put food on the table. Wait, what was the question again?
    Then lets be clear, freedom of expression and free speech, the right to offend anyone, extends only to the groups that are easy to mock and/or not very popular. "Freedom of expression" comes to a screeching halt if it's viewed as racist or anti-Semitic.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    01-19-2015 02:46 PM
    That watching football was more important. Russia, the PLA, and Saudi Arabia were there for god sake. The man's foreign policy has been a joke. There isn't a foreign head of state we can say we have a better relationship with since he's been in office. Extend an olive branch for the love of god.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    01-19-2015 02:52 PM
    Then lets be clear, freedom of expression and free speech, the right to offend anyone, extends only to the groups that are easy to mock and/or not very popular. "Freedom of expression" comes to a screeching halt if it's viewed as racist or anti-Semitic.
    I think it's poor judgment on Charlie's part. When they hide behind the banner of "Freedom of Expression", then take the action that they did, it only proves to me that they are more interested in profit over their integrity. The same goes for the French as a whole when they arrested the black comedian that praised the attacks on facebook and had a comedy skit that was antisemitic. This guy has a right to express his views no matter how in poor taste or how offensive it may be to another religious group.

What we have to remember is that Charlie Hebdo is a private company and while I don't agree with firing someone because you don't subscribe to their type of offensive ideals, they are within their rights as a company to terminate someone's employment. What this guy should do is start up his own newspaper and try to out-provocate Charlie Hebdo.
    01-19-2015 06:11 PM
    I think they just decided the situation was too risky and that the unity rally would be just another in a long line of rallies all over the world in the last few years.
    That sounds like a fair assessment. In any case, I don't think the Obama administration has anything against the French.
    01-19-2015 10:17 PM
    01-20-2015 01:04 AM
    I think it's poor judgment on Charlie's part. When they hide behind the banner of "Freedom of Expression", then take the action that they did, it only proves to me that they are more interested in profit over their integrity. The same goes for the French as a whole when they arrested the black comedian that praised the attacks on facebook and had a comedy skit that was antisemitic. This guy has a right to express his views no matter how in poor taste or how offensive it may be to another religious group.

What we have to remember is that Charlie Hebdo is a private company and while I don't agree with firing someone because you don't subscribe to their type of offensive ideals, they are within their rights as a company to terminate someone's employment. What this guy should do is start up his own newspaper and try to out-provocate Charlie Hebdo.
    Then as a private company they shouldn't prance around and pretend to be protected by a "universal right" when that right only extends to insulting certain groups or classes of people. Maurice Sinet was also charged with the crime of "Inciting racial hatred" for that same piece.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    01-20-2015 09:36 AM
    01-20-2015 12:51 PM
    Good luck collecting. I think that the City of Paris is a no go zone. If it wasn't for America, they would all be speaking German.
    01-20-2015 01:39 PM
    MSNBC fired some people over their slanderous reporting and blatant lies, maybe Fox should follow suit. There is a difference between designated and state sanctioned "no-go zones" and those parts of the city certain people don't go in to. You won't find my (or yours for that matter) butts on the south or west side of Chicago walking down the street.
    01-20-2015 01:40 PM
    MSNBC fired some people over their slanderous reporting and blatant lies, maybe Fox should follow suit. There is a difference between designated and state sanctioned "no-go zones" and those parts of the city certain people don't go in to. You won't find my (or yours for that matter) butts on the south or west side of Chicago walking down the street.
    Fox needs to stop employing talking heads whose only mission seems to be topping the other talking heads in some sort of contest of who can say the most outlandish thing.

Then the next thing they need to do is start vetting things before allowing all their anchors to run with it as some pre established fact.

The same applies to individuals (like the Bundy ranch guy). I mean really, how many times must a news outlet get egg on it's face before they get it?

Oh...and clueless Bobby Jindal needs to get that same message. He seems to be the last one to get the memo.

palandri likes this.
    01-20-2015 03:03 PM
    City of Paris to sue Fox News
    It's not surprising. Europe has different rules with regards to the press. Things that would be okay to print or air in the US would be unacceptable in Europe. It'll be interesting to see the outcome of this lawsuit.
    palandri likes this.
    01-20-2015 03:21 PM
    Fox needs to stop employing talking heads whose only mission seems to be topping the other talking heads in some sort of contest of who can say the most outlandish thing.

Then the next thing they need to do is start vetting things before allowing all their anchors to run with it as some pre established fact.

The same applies to individuals (like the Bundy ranch guy). I mean really, how many times must a news outlet get egg on it's face before they get it?

Oh...and clueless Bobby Jindal needs to get that same message. He seems to be the last one to get the memo.

They all do it, it's all about ratings. You'll hear crazy things on MSNBC, the only difference is they have about 10 viewers. Unfortunately, and this applies to all news outlets, but political agendas (left and right) have found their way into the media (from the CEO on down) and polluted any and all honest journalism. Running bias stories is just as bad as not running a story because of certain biases or allegiance to a certain party.
    01-20-2015 03:31 PM
    I work on the south side all the time. There's school work, CTA work and a lot of CHA housing was sold to private investors that need work.
    01-20-2015 05:17 PM
    They all do it, it's all about ratings. You'll hear crazy things on MSNBC, the only difference is they have about 10 viewers. Unfortunately, and this applies to all news outlets, but political agendas (left and right) have found their way into the media (from the CEO on down) and polluted any and all honest journalism. Running bias stories is just as bad as not running a story because of certain biases or allegiance to a certain party.
    So let me ask you, what's your take on NPR?
    01-20-2015 07:38 PM
    You know what?.I don't really hear crazy things on MSNBC. Crazy to a republican maybe, but not actually crazy and more importantly not wrong and made up the way Fox sometimes is prone to. I don't have a problem with a republican viewpoint or catering to a conservative audience, but those views should have a footing in reality and backed up with factual data and charts.

I don't expect a network to be perfect, but with Fox it's become a pattern to pick up false narratives and talking points and then run with them until they get called out. . And that's not good.

palandri likes this.
    01-21-2015 03:58 AM
    That sounds like a fair assessment. In any case, I don't think the Obama administration has anything against the French.
    He is fond of the French.... at least some of them....

Je suis Charlie-obama-checking-out-girl-g8.jpg
    01-21-2015 06:17 PM
    So let me ask you, what's your take on NPR?
    I'd cut all public funding to it.
    01-22-2015 09:28 AM
    You know what?.I don't really hear crazy things on MSNBC. Crazy to a republican maybe, but not actually crazy and more importantly not wrong and made up the way Fox sometimes is prone to. I don't have a problem with a republican viewpoint or catering to a conservative audience, but those views should have a footing in reality and backed up with factual data and charts.

I don't expect a network to be perfect, but with Fox it's become a pattern to pick up false narratives and talking points and then run with them until they get called out. . And that's not good.

Pretty sure Maddow has been caught bold facing lying on the air and has refused to apologize for it.
    01-22-2015 09:29 AM
    I'd cut all public funding to it.
    Why, so we can have news organizations that thrive on money from big business? Go watch any evening news programming from the major networks (not local news) and count how many drug commercials you see. Is that what you want?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    01-22-2015 09:49 AM
    Why, so we can have news organizations that thrive on money from big business? Go watch any evening news programming from the major networks (not local news) and count how many drug commercials you see. Is that what you want?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    What's the fundamental difference between commercials and underwriting spots? Right now only 5% of their funding comes from government, so clearly not much would change.
    01-22-2015 10:13 AM
    Pretty sure Maddow has been caught bold facing lying on the air and has refused to apologize for it.
    Pretty sure that isn't true considering she even has a segment just for corrections and has made use of that segment on a number of occasions. But I'm willing to look at the evidence you have.

01-22-2015 11:51 AM
167 ... 23456 ...