06-07-2015 03:48 AM
167 ... 567
tools
    Its kind of funny, because even Bill O'Reilly and Donald Trump said pretty much, "So, you did this literally for the point of nothing but pissing people off, you couldn't have found something else to put your energy to?" You're free to say what you want, but FFS folks, the way things are sadly right now, doing something like DOES have the side effect of putting a huge frigging bulls-eye on you. I wish it wasn't so, but right now, it is. That being said, congrats dumbasses, trying to do a mass shooting in TEXAS. I'd bet a week's pay that half the people in that contest were carrying, and when one security guard turns into John McClane and drops two guys with assault rifles and body armor-well, how's the afterlife treating ya.
    05-09-2015 02:21 PM
    But King was a victim of violence and was shot to death. Like I said religions often preach nonviolence but have in history perpetuated violence.
    This is why I included the examples of the 14th Dalai Lama and Mahatma Gandhi. It is very helpful to explore other religions that also have beliefs in nonviolence. It is very telling that you haven't disputed these examples.

As for Dr. King, we must make the distinction between being a victim of violence and preaching violence. Dr. King was a victim of violence, but he never advocated violence to achieve his goals.
    05-09-2015 10:00 PM
    This is why I included the examples of the 14th Dalai Lama and Mahatma Gandhi. It is very helpful to explore other religions that also have beliefs in nonviolence. It is very telling that you haven't disputed these examples.

As for Dr. King, we must make the distinction between being a victim of violence and preaching violence. Dr. King was a victim of violence, but he never advocated violence to achieve his goals.
    No one directly advocates violence, except Malcolm X and he was shot too. But it is always there, radical Islam and radical Christians have been present in America.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-09-2015 10:59 PM
    No one directly advocates violence, except Malcolm X and he was shot too. But it is always there, radical Islam and radical Christians have been present in America.
    Well, Malcom X was Muslim, so if you're saying that people shouldn't follow Islam, I can see your point.

I also like how you call out religious radicals. I would suggest that people follow the mainstream religions instead of the radical ones.

In any case, it's good that you say that no one directly advocates violence.
    05-12-2015 03:03 PM
    Well, Malcom X was Muslim, so if you're saying that people shouldn't follow Islam, I can see your point.

I also like how you call out religious radicals. I would suggest that people follow the mainstream religions instead of the radical ones.

In any case, it's good that you say that no one directly advocates violence.
    What would you consider "radical"? To me believing in a hell and heaven is radical. More radical is believing that people that don't believe what you believe are going to hell.
    A895 likes this.
    05-12-2015 05:18 PM
    What would you consider "radical"?
    Bringing rifles to shoot people in Texas because you disagree with them is radical. Like I said before, it would have been more effective to hold a protest instead.
    05-12-2015 05:51 PM
    Bringing rifles to shoot people in Texas because you disagree with them is radical. Like I said before, it would have been more effective to hold a protest instead.
    A protest on what?

05-12-2015 07:07 PM
    A protest on what?
    My previous post was in reference to the Prophet Mohammed cartoon contest in Texas, but it could apply to the Charlie Hebdo massacre as well.

I think we can agree that the people who objected to the cartoon contest in Texas should have brought protest signs instead of rifles.
    05-13-2015 03:22 PM
    05-13-2015 04:40 PM
    My previous post was in reference to the Prophet Mohammed cartoon contest in Texas, but it could apply to the Charlie Hebdo massacre as well.

I think we can agree that the people who objected to the cartoon contest in Texas should have brought protest signs instead of rifles.
    Like protesting an event would have done anything.

05-13-2015 04:40 PM
    Like protesting an event would have done anything.
    Given the choice between protesting and attempted murder with a firearm, I think we would choose protesting.
    05-13-2015 04:50 PM
    Given the choice between protesting and attempted murder with a firearm, I think we would choose protesting.
    They obviously did not.

05-13-2015 06:08 PM
    They obviously did not.
    This is why we are thankful that law enforcement officers were able to stop Elton Simpson and Nadir Soofi with lethal force.

We don't have to like the Prophet Mohammed cartoon contest, but we will defend the right to free expression.
    05-14-2015 05:38 PM
    Iran hosts anti-ISIS cartoon competition - CNN.com

I wonder if they'll ever host a "Draw Muhammad" convention.....
    A895 likes this.
    05-31-2015 09:43 AM
    But, when you are talking about religion, you are talking about peoples personal beliefs, and making fun of someones beliefs shouldn't be covered by the first amendment.
    The fact remains that the First Amendment protects all types of speech and expression. It's one of the benefits of living in America. Take the protest in Arizona:

CNN -- Mohammed cartoon contest: Protest held outside Phoenix mosque (article link)

You have protesters and counter-protesters outside a mosque. The First Amendment protects both groups equally. No one has to like what anyone is saying, but we will allow them to say it.
    06-04-2015 06:35 PM
    The fact remains that the First Amendment protects all types of speech and expression. It's one of the benefits of living in America. Take the protest in Arizona:

CNN -- Mohammed cartoon contest: Protest held outside Phoenix mosque (article link)

You have protesters and counter-protesters outside a mosque. The First Amendment protects both groups equally. No one has to like what anyone is saying, but we will allow them to say it.
    Then whatever consequences they get from such actions is their own fault.

06-05-2015 04:34 AM
    Then whatever consequences they get from such actions is their own fault.
    Thank you for agreeing with my point. People have a right to express their disagreement with others.
    06-07-2015 03:48 AM
167 ... 567