06-07-2015 03:48 AM
167 123 ...
tools
    I figured this would've been made into a thread by now but I've been wanting a discussion on this since it happened. In case you have been living under a rock for the past few days, Charlie Hebdo should bring you up to speed.

When I see events like this, I can't help but wish that we could get rid of religion completely, but then I realize that these extremist nutbags aren't a representation of all members of their specific groups. I do sometimes look back at the history of religion and can't help but imagine a time when these types of acts were common. History used to teach us that even England had strict punishment for what it deemed blasphemous or terroristic threats against the King or Church.

When I interpret how religion was used back in the Middle Ages, I view it as a way of those in power trying to maintain their power. I remember being taught that the Church preached that the King was appointed by none other than God himself, and an act against the King was an act against God. I remember reading that the King demanded that everyone attend Church and that those that didn't would be punished. To me it was quite a cozy arrangement and led me to believe that religion was merely a means of controlling the masses.

Now that it seems most of us are "enlightened" (although there are still many corners of the world where people are not afforded their natural born rights, including the U.S. itself), it seems as though some groups have decided to use religion as a weapon against other groups. What I find most disturbing about the attack against Charlie Hedbo is not that these cockroaches are fighting for a religion that I consider an abomination (for the record I consider ALL religions an abomination, although some more than others), but because they are attacking our collective freedom of expression.

Why anyone would want to become a martyr against freedom of expression and thought is beyond me. I think their attack on such a principle only demonstrates how vile and corrosive an influence religion can have on a lesser mind. I personally would like to see the rest of the world acknowledge these types of extremists (from ALL religious backgrounds) as the unevolved neanderthal thinking blood lusting animals that they are. These rabid dogs are an endangered species. The rate at which information and knowledge spreads has never been greater and an attempt at suppressing freedom of expression is, at best futile. The attack on Charlie Hedbo proved to be a suicide mission for these goons, as 2 have been killed and one has been arrested. In the process, the idea of freedom of expression has swollen, and the backlash against these insects' ideals will grow (the urge to post a picture of Muhammad, as well as other Charlie Hedbo hits, was there, if not for the powers that be at Android Central trying to keep this site for the most part neutral and free of controversy). I am indeed Charlie Hedbo.
    palandri, GadgetGator and A895 like this.
    01-10-2015 11:35 AM
    This topic has been very hot at the sister sites:

The Massacre in Paris - iPhone, iPad, iPod Forums at iMore.com

Please support France #Je suis charlie - Windows Central Forums

#JeSuisCharlie I believe in freedom of speech
    01-10-2015 12:32 PM
    This topic has been very hot at the sister sites:

The Massacre in Paris - iPhone, iPad, iPod Forums at iMore.com

Please support France #Je suis charlie - Windows Central Forums

#JeSuisCharlie I believe in freedom of speech

I don't have to join those sites do I? Also, are they equally moderated? If not, which one is the least strict?
    01-10-2015 01:01 PM
    I don't have to join those sites do I? Also, are they equally moderated? If not, which one is the least strict?
    Just click login. All the Mobile Nation sites are linked together for logging in. Least strict? I don't know.
    01-10-2015 01:24 PM
    Just click login. All the Mobile Nation sites are linked together for logging in. Least strict? I don't know.
    Yes. Indeed.. What ever happened to your good friend "acandia11" I think that was her name....

Chuckles....
    01-10-2015 01:48 PM
    Exactly how much leisure time do you think I have? I read through some of those posts, and I don't think I want to get involved in the "Holy War" that's going on in there. What's sad is that some of them sound EXACTLY like the extremists they're raging on about. "Lets wipe them off the map!" sounds exactly like something a jihadist would say. When you have bigotry in your heart to begin with, I suppose it's easy to cast everyone of a particular group in a negative light. Kind of sad that some of the posters on those sites are seeing this in terms of "Muslims bad, must smash Muslims!" instead of a fundamentalist vs a freedom of expression act.
    palandri and A895 like this.
    01-10-2015 02:16 PM
    Exactly how much leisure time do you think I have? I read through some of those posts, and I don't think I want to get involved in the "Holy War" that's going on in there. What's sad is that some of them sound EXACTLY like the extremists they're raging on about. "Lets wipe them off the map!" sounds exactly like something a jihadist would say. When you have bigotry in your heart to begin with, I suppose it's easy to cast everyone of a particular group in a negative light. Kind of sad that some of the posters on those sites are seeing this in terms of "Muslims bad, must smash Muslims!" instead of a fundamentalist vs a freedom of expression act.
    "Freedom of expression'" is an American right, guaranteed in the United States Constitution. Which applies to American citizens only.. Not the World or Islam..Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.

Perhaps you agree with, Hillary: America Must ‘Respect,’ ‘Empathize with’ Our Enemies.
    01-10-2015 02:32 PM
    "Freedom of expression'" is an American right, guaranteed in the United States Constitution. Which applies to American citizens only.. Not the World or Islam..Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.

Perhaps you agree with, Hillary: America Must ‘Respect,’ ‘Empathize with’ Our Enemies.
    I'm looking at this deeper than just a "YEEHAW, GO MURICA!!" perspective. Looking at it from an exclusively American perspective is foolhardy. Look at how many people from around the world stood beside us when we were hit by 9/11. Did we turn our backs on the world? Absolutely not. When I tuned into the news during those dark times, I took exceptional comfort in seeing the reaction of people across the globe, with tears in their eyes at what they saw during the 9/11 attacks. They saw great evil and wept. They didn't see "Snooty fat Mericans, good riddance!", they had genuine sorrow in their heart.

While "Freedom of expression" is a pillar of American society, it is a right that EVERY person of the world should have. Lets not pretend that we invented it. The belief in "Freedom of expression" was along before America was even on the map (literally).
    01-10-2015 03:15 PM
    ... What's sad is that some of them sound EXACTLY like the extremists they're raging on about. "Lets wipe them off the map!" sounds exactly like something a jihadist would say....
    +1

The similarities are there for many things. It even expands to what a woman should wear.
    A895 likes this.
    01-10-2015 06:11 PM
    +1

The similarities are there for many things. It even expands to what a woman should wear.

And they also have similar views on education. Kind of makes you wonder doesn't it?
    01-10-2015 06:21 PM
    #JeSuisCharlie
    Attached Thumbnails Je suis Charlie-charlie.jpg  
    GadgetGator likes this.
    01-11-2015 06:49 AM
    I'm watching the march in Paris, and the millions of people in the streets, all protesting violence. That's a good thing. That's a great thing, but what is the root cause of why these good people are outraged? It's called POLITICAL CORRECTNESS. The balance scale for PC should be at 50%, but i believe that it's more like 75%. This makes you a target, because radicals of any kind see this as weakness, and they are right to think that way. For example: Moslem people who immigrated to Australia, primarily for a better life, demanded to have Sharia Law established in their areas. In response to this, the govt. of Australia told those people that Australia was founded upon Christian principles, but there is tolerance for all religions. However, if you really want to be under Sharia Law, then go back to where you came from. This is the way it should be in all countries. I'm not saying that this Islamist Terrorism wouldn't have happened at some time in the future, maybe, maybe not, but it's happening now because of the weakened position of the U.S. towards terrorism. We are afraid to offend anyone. I'll use my analogy again. We apologize to the man who cuts off our head, because our blood got his sword dirty. Enough is enough. This protest in Paris doesn't mean diddily, unless it's backed up by tougher laws against terrorists. We must stop bending over for every wacko who wants his or her agenda enforced. If you're an immigrant, and you don't like the way that your new country does things...go home!!!
    the tall guy and anon8380037 like this.
    01-11-2015 09:05 AM
    I'm watching the march in Paris, and the millions of people in the streets, all protesting violence. That's a good thing. That's a great thing, but what is the root cause of why these good people are outraged? It's called POLITICAL CORRECTNESS. The balance scale for PC should be at 50%, but i believe that it's more like 75%. This makes you a target, because radicals of any kind see this as weakness, and they are right to think that way. For example: Moslem people who immigrated to Australia, primarily for a better life, demanded to have Sharia Law established in their areas. In response to this, the govt. of Australia told those people that Australia was founded upon Christian principles, but there is tolerance for all religions. However, if you really want to be under Sharia Law, then go back to where you came from. This is the way it should be in all countries. I'm not saying that this Islamist Terrorism wouldn't have happened at some time in the future, maybe, maybe not, but it's happening now because of the weakened position of the U.S. towards terrorism. We are afraid to offend anyone. I'll use my analogy again. We apologize to the man who cuts off our head, because our blood got his sword dirty. Enough is enough. This protest in Paris doesn't mean diddily, unless it's backed up by tougher laws against terrorists. We must stop bending over for every wacko who wants his or her agenda enforced. If you're an immigrant, and you don't like the way that your new country does things...go home!!!

Your post couldn't be more incorrect. This isn't a protest solely against Islam, this is a protest against fundamentalists and their attack on freedom of expression. Islamic fundamentalists, Christian fundamentalists, and other religious fundamentalists are one in the same.

The fact that you continue to mention that we're "weak on terror", is just typical right wing talking points garbage. Look at how many more drone strikes have been issued under Obama compared to past Presidents. http://securitydata.newamerica.net/d...istan/analysis

Here's another couple of gems for you, GWB openly admitted that he wasn't looking for Bin Laden

If you're going to spew right wing talking points then please at least present facts. I know that's something the right wing doesn't know much about.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    01-11-2015 11:42 AM
    01-11-2015 11:51 AM
    Your post couldn't be more incorrect. This isn't a protest solely against Islam, this is a protest against fundamentalists and their attack on freedom of expression. Islamic fundamentalists, Christian fundamentalists, and other religious fundamentalists are one in the same.

The fact that you continue to mention that we're "weak on terror", is just typical right wing talking points garbage. Look at how many more drone strikes have been issued under Obama compared to past Presidents. http://securitydata.newamerica.net/d...istan/analysis

Here's another couple of gems for you, GWB openly admitted that he wasn't looking for Bin Laden

If you're going to spew right wing talking points then please at least present facts. I know that's something the right wing doesn't know much about.
    What i said was "radicals of any kind". You can turn the facts to suit your agenda if you want, but this whole terrorist nonsense was caused by Political Correctness. Something that you can't live without. Why don't you go hug a tree, or kiss a spotted owl, or maybe kill a whaler who has a legal right to hunt. Give me a break and shut up already, dirtbag.
    01-11-2015 12:10 PM
    What i said was "radicals of any kind". You can turn the facts to suit your agenda if you want, but this whole terrorist nonsense was caused by Political Correctness. Something that you can't live without. Why don't you go hug a tree, or kiss a spotted owl, or maybe kill a whaler who has a legal right to hunt. Give me a break and shut up already, dirtbag.
    You're the one that said we're "soft on terror". This has nothing to do with this Administration despite what your right-wing talk radio babble tells you. Keep shouting and name calling though, since that's typically what I expect from those that don't know how to articulate their argument past what they're spoon fed by Faux News. It's too bad you can't project shouting on the internet cause I hear that's also a good weapon for the monosyllabic spoon fed mouth breathers.
    01-11-2015 12:43 PM
    What a dumb notion. You think the whole world revolves around the United States. Newsflash: it does not.

The reason there is terrorism is there are not enough opportunities for younger people in middle Eastern countries. So, like gang members here, they band together and create trouble. Idle hands and idle minds leads to this. Isolation leads to this. No hope leads to this. Not your ridiculous PC theory.

Posted via Android Central App
    01-11-2015 02:09 PM
    What a dumb notion. You think the whole world revolves around the United States. Newsflash: it does not.

The reason there is terrorism is there are not enough opportunities for younger people in middle Eastern countries. So, like gang members here, they band together and create trouble. Idle hands and idle minds leads to this. Isolation leads to this. No hope leads to this. Not your ridiculous PC theory.

I already know his reply, "You're empathizing with our enemy, go hug a tree, go reduce your carbon footprint....etc etc." Although I suspect he'd use "your" instead of "you're". Poor grammar tends to be a staple of the right wing's minion. I guess that's why they're ok with cutting education and call everyone else elitists. "You and your fancy pants English voodoo speaking!"

There's a common thread with these fundamentalists using physical violence, the right wing shouting down arguments and insisting that they need their guns to keep a "tyrant at bay". They all operate out of the same un-evolved portion of their reptilian brain. Studies bear this out Does a low IQ make you right-wing? That depends on how you define left and right | Daily Mail Online (I know what am I thinking, posting facts).

Another fact that may throw off these right wingers, one of our most prominent founding fathers was actually heavily influenced by France and their liberal thinking. What I like most about debating right wing mouth breathers is when you present to them two facts that contradict their line of thinking, "Wait some of the founding fathers were influenced by the French, but Rush Limbaugh taught me that the Founding Fathers invented democracy with the aid of Jesus!" It's funny watching them try to reconcile the fact that France actually had a BIG influence on this country. I haven't even mentioned how the French helped us during the Revolutionary War (I'll save that little fact for later).
    01-11-2015 02:35 PM
    I already know his reply, "You're empathizing with our enemy, go hug a tree, go reduce your carbon footprint....etc etc." Although I suspect he'd use "your" instead of "you're". Poor grammar tends to be a staple of the right wing's minion. I guess that's why they're ok with cutting education and call everyone else elitists. "You and your fancy pants English voodoo speaking!"

There's a common thread with these fundamentalists using physical violence, the right wing shouting down arguments and insisting that they need their guns to keep a "tyrant at bay". They all operate out of the same un-evolved portion of their reptilian brain. Studies bear this out Does a low IQ make you right-wing? That depends on how you define left and right | Daily Mail Online (I know what am I thinking, posting facts).

Another fact that may throw off these right wingers, one of our most prominent founding fathers was actually heavily influenced by France and their liberal thinking. What I like most about debating right wing mouth breathers is when you present to them two facts that contradict their line of thinking, "Wait some of the founding fathers were influenced by the French, but Rush Limbaugh taught me that the Founding Fathers invented democracy with the aid of Jesus!" It's funny watching them try to reconcile the fact that France actually had a BIG influence on this country. I haven't even mentioned how the French helped us during the Revolutionary War (I'll save that little fact for later).
    You have the nerve to attack me about grammar? You're(did i use it correctly) the dirtbag who wrote "Judists" in the article about Scalise. Take your(did i use it correctly) bad spelling, and stick it where the sun don't shine.
    01-11-2015 04:08 PM
    You have the nerve to attack me about grammar? You're(did i use it correctly) the dirtbag who wrote "Judists" in the article about Scalise. Take your(did i use it correctly) bad spelling, and stick it where the sun don't shine.
    Deflecting yet again..... Try posting another clown image.
    01-11-2015 04:16 PM
    Deflecting yet again..... Try posting another clown image.

I think this is more like you.
    Attached Thumbnails Je suis Charlie-images.jpeg  
    01-11-2015 04:43 PM
    I think this is more like you.
    There, fixed....
    01-11-2015 05:28 PM
    Yet another flaw in your logic is that you use Australia as some shining example, yet they have terrorism too. Which just destroys your own theory.

You really should think things through more, and see if they make sense logically. In this case, the use of Australia just doesn't.

01-11-2015 06:49 PM
    Yet another flaw in your logic is that you use Australia as some shining example, yet they have terrorism too. Which just destroys your own theory.

You really should think things through more, and see if they make sense logically. In this case, the use of Australia just doesn't.

What took you so long? I love it. One dirtbag supporting another dirtbag. HaHaHaHaHa!!!
    01-11-2015 07:15 PM

He's not using logic, he's using Faux News talking points. Name calling is the last resort of someone that doesn't have a valid argument that they can back up via facts. I have yet to see anything but typical right wing babble from his posts.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    01-11-2015 07:39 PM
167 123 ...