03-24-2015 05:55 PM
216 ... 789
tools
    If no one pushes for an amendment to the Constitution, you won't have anything to vote for.
    I am betting there is someone who is.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-04-2015 06:03 PM
    There's probably not much of an issue if people keep it within the privacy of their own home. A gay couple can say that they are married inside their home. It's only a problem when they go outside their home and say that they are married. I can see people objecting to that.
    Why? Its funny how people are against homosexuality because of their beliefs, but in the past in Europe and other past civilizations in the Mediterranean especially, Homosexuality was as common and accepted as the Hetero opposite.

Nowadays I think people are just close minded.

03-04-2015 06:07 PM
    Eliminating marriage may lead to more freedom and equality.

For example, take hospital rules. If there is no such thing as marriage, patients will decide who may visit. They could extend or deny visitation rights to anyone they wanted.
    What is your issue with marriage? Marriage has been a common practice for 100s of years. Why abolish it?

03-04-2015 06:08 PM
    What is your issue with marriage? Marriage has been a common practice for 100s of years. Why abolish it?
    Like I said in my previous post, abolishing marriage may lead to more freedom and equality. I already gave an example using hospital visitation rights.

To expand on that example, let's say someone has to go to the hospital. Can their boyfriend or girlfriend visit them, by default? Probably not, since they're not married. This would apply to straight and gay couples.

If you remove marriage, you remove the assumption that only spouses and immediate family are allowed to visit. Visitation rights have to be defined, but you can define them any way you want. It could be your boyfriend/girlfriend, your parents, your coworkers, your former classmates, or anyone else.

In the end, it's your decision, not the hospital's. I think that's something everyone can agree on.
    03-04-2015 07:25 PM
    Like I said in my previous post, abolishing marriage may lead to more freedom and equality. I already gave an example using hospital visitation rights.

To expand on that example, let's say someone has to go to the hospital. Can their boyfriend or girlfriend visit them, by default? Probably not, since they're not married. This would apply to straight and gay couples.

If you remove marriage, you remove the assumption that only spouses and immediate family are allowed to visit. Visitation rights have to be defined, but you can define them any way you want. It could be your boyfriend/girlfriend, your parents, your coworkers, your former classmates, or anyone else.

In the end, it's your decision, not the hospital's. I think that's something everyone can agree on.
    Visitation rights is why you want to abolish marriage?

03-04-2015 07:26 PM
    Visitation rights is why you want to abolish marriage?
    Like I said before, I'm looking at abolishing marriage because eliminating marriage may lead to more freedom and equality.

The issue of hospital visitation rights is just one example to illustrate my point. I noticed you didn't object to what I said about visitation being the patient's decision instead of the hospital's.

We can discuss issues other than hospital visitation, but the same idea applies.
    03-04-2015 09:19 PM
    There's probably not much of an issue if people keep it within the privacy of their own home. A gay couple can say that they are married inside their home. It's only a problem when they go outside their home and say that they are married. I can see people objecting to that.
    It's a problem with other people. And it's literally THEIR problem that they need to get over. Using your logic we shouldn't have had interracial marriages for all these decades because someone out there still has a problem with them. Too damn bad. We don't cater to the bigoted. They don't need an accommodation. Rather then me keeping my marriage in my home (ridiculous), the bigoted can keep their bigotry in their home instead.

I'm not sure why you want to accommodate bigotry. Or worse, even give them preference. Maybe you can explain that one further.

And you can look into abolishing marriage all you want, not gonna happen. It's a Pipedream. The concept of marriage isn't just rooted in history, and isn't just an american tradition, but rather is a worldwide concept that most everyone understands. You're not going to get people to abandon that. You just aren't. You might as well be trying to get them to abandon breathing air. You'll have about as much success.

Posted via Android Central App
    03-04-2015 11:23 PM
    Using your logic we shouldn't have had interracial marriages for all these decades because someone out there still has a problem with them.
    Given that the interracial marriages in question involved a woman marrying a man, there was no controversy in the past. We simply allowed more people to utilize a patriarchal social construct.

Removing marriage from the government puts everything in your hands. You dictate who you love. You say who has custody of your children. If you get sick, you allow who you want to visit you in the hospital. When you die, you decide who inherits your property.

Honestly, if marriage never existed before and we just invented it today, I think you would come up with something that doesn't resemble anything like marriage as we know it today and it would be a lot, lot better.

I hand you a blank slate. Will you create something better or just follow in the footsteps of others who may or may not have your best interest at heart?
    03-04-2015 11:55 PM
    Like I said before, I'm looking at abolishing marriage because eliminating marriage may lead to more freedom and equality.
    I don't see how marriage being abolished leads to more freedom and equality.

03-05-2015 05:36 AM
    I am betting there is someone who is.
    Which method will they use to propose an amendment to the Constitution?

Will they go for a supermajority vote in the House and Senate, or will they try to call for a national convention using the state legislatures?
    03-06-2015 05:47 PM
    Given that the interracial marriages in question involved a woman marrying a man, there was no controversy in the past. We simply allowed more people to utilize a patriarchal social construct.
    No controversy in the past? Are you kidding? If that was true, there would have been no need for a court case. Unfortunately, much as is the case with same sex marriages, people have to be forced to do the right thing, get over their stupid biases and comply with the constitution.

And again, while I understand your point in trying to abolish marriage, it's simply impossible to abolish a standard that is rooted in centuries of tradition that is passed down from generation to generation and again is a world wide thing, not just the domain of one country. That's just not going to be abandoned. It's just not. It's too entrenched and you are many centuries too late to put that horse back in the barn.

Posted via Android Central App
    A895 likes this.
    03-11-2015 11:24 PM
    Here's to hoping that "Bibi" doesn't get re-elected in his country.
    I heard Benjamin Netanyahu won a fourth term during the most recent election in Israel.
    03-20-2015 01:00 AM
    I heard Benjamin Netanyahu won a fourth term during the most recent election in Israel.
    I heard he used the same tactics the GOP uses here, he claimed that "Arabs" were showing up to the poles in droves as some sort of ploy to allow more Muslim violence. He also claims that he doesn't believe in a 2 state solution, which is something the international community has been working towards for a long time. To me he's a piece of garbage and should've been voted out a long time ago.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    03-20-2015 05:39 PM
    To me he's a piece of garbage and should've been voted out a long time ago.
    Do you think the United States will stop supporting Israel because Benjamin Netanyahu won the election?
    03-23-2015 04:44 AM
    Do you think the United States will stop supporting Israel because Benjamin Netanyahu won the election?
    Considering the majority of the U.S. has been brainwashed into believing that a Jewish state is necessary to ensure world peace, I highly doubt it. I can't help but wonder if the bible that most christians follow was actually written by someone of a Jewish background, "Lets ensure that we're given a seat at the table at all time. In order to ensure peace, we'll write in that a Jewish state is a prerequisite for peace, and while we're at it, lets write in that we're the chosen people". And then there's the passage that tells Christians not to worry about amassing wealth in this life, "Disregard worldly possessions", sounds like someone knew what they were doing when they wrote that book......
    03-23-2015 07:04 AM
    Considering the majority of the U.S. has been brainwashed into believing that a Jewish state is necessary to ensure world peace, I highly doubt it.
    This is why it is important to acknowledge the reality of the situation. People may not like Benjamin Netanyahu, but at the end of the day, the United States will support Israel.
    03-24-2015 05:55 PM
216 ... 789