04-10-2015 04:30 AM
142 ... 3456
tools
    This is why we need to take each person on a case by case basis.

Some members of Sigma Alpha Epsilon will probably be racists for their entire lives. We do not have to tolerate these people.

Others will reform and renounce their racism. You would forgive them and allow them to integrate back into society. Is that correct?
    Yes, if they were honestly sorry for the hatred they spread, and the hurt they caused. I truly feel that most of us deserve a second chance.

As I have stated previously, hatred is learned. If your parents instill hatred in you, and convince you that you are superior because of your skin color, there is little hope that you will not turn out to be a hate filled, prejudice asshat. But, these people can change, if they seriously want to, if they open their eyes and see that they are not better than anyone else.
    A895 likes this.
    03-26-2015 06:55 PM
    Frats are a cancer on the college education system and do nothing but distract and add little to long term benefits, I say get rid of them.
    The alumni association often has significant influence over university policies.

If you can get the alumni to agree to the removal of fraternities, they will use their power to change the system.
    03-26-2015 07:01 PM
    04-02-2015 11:13 AM
    Yes, if they were honestly sorry for the hatred they spread, and the hurt they caused. I truly feel that most of us deserve a second chance.
    So, if someone was accused of being racist, what would you suggest they do to reform themselves?

Some people could take sensitivity training.

Other people could volunteer for charities that directly support minorities.

Is there anything else we could add?
    04-03-2015 03:45 PM
    So, if someone was accused of being racist, what would you suggest they do to reform themselves?

Some people could take sensitivity training.

Other people could volunteer for charities that directly support minorities.

Is there anything else we could add?
    First off, they honestly need to understand the error of their ways. If said prejudice asshat, finally saw that their way of believing they were superior was nothing but complete and utter bull****, and they genuinely wanted to reform. They could tell others of their mistake in their thinking, and try to persuade others that think the same way as the asshat once did, to change their own thoughts, I would be satisfied with that. What I am saying is if they became an activist against prejudice and stood tall against ignorance and hatred, I believe they would accomplish redemption, at least in my book.
    A895 likes this.
    04-03-2015 07:10 PM
    They could tell others of their mistake in their thinking, and try to persuade others that think the same way as the asshat once did, to change their own thoughts, I would be satisfied with that. What I am saying is if they became an activist against prejudice and stood tall against ignorance and hatred, I believe they would accomplish redemption, at least in my book.
    So, you have some people who were once racist, but they have reformed through hard work and dedication.

What do you say to people who simply don't believe these racists can ever reform?

Are you going to defend the reformed people?
    04-06-2015 08:06 PM
    Minneapolis Cop To Black Teen: 'F**k With Me, I'll Break Your Leg' (VIDEO)

The sad part is this cop will probably still be on duty, if not here, somewhere.
    04-06-2015 08:10 PM
    What do you say to people who simply don't believe these racists can ever reform?
    There is nothing I can say. Those people are entitled to their own opinion. I am not here to force my views on anyone.

Are you going to defend the reformed people?
    Perhaps, if I actually got to know them, and I truly believed the had changed.
    04-06-2015 08:47 PM
    There is nothing I can say. Those people are entitled to their own opinion. I am not here to force my views on anyone.
    The fact remains that you believe some racists can reform. To those people who believe that all racists can never reform, you would say that they are 100% wrong. Would that be correct?
    04-07-2015 07:38 PM
    The fact remains that you believe some racists can reform. To those people who believe that all racists can never reform, you would say that they are 100% wrong. Would that be correct?
    I actually have no problem with people being narrow minded and racist. Some of the greatest opportunities are missed when these people decide to let their racist views dictate their actions. Some of the best things in life happen when you open your mind to new experiences regardless of some prejudice. I used to work with a guy that was pretty racist. It even bled into other aspects of his life. When we would go to lunch at work, we couldn't go to just any restaurant. We had to go to a mainstream restaurant that would serve hotdogs or hamburgers because this guy didn't like eating ethnic foods. If people want to pass up on opportunities because of their ignorance, that's fine by me. I won't pass up such opportunities and experiences, and will be better for it.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    04-07-2015 09:08 PM
    I actually have no problem with people being narrow minded and racist. Some of the greatest opportunities are missed when these people decide to let their racist views dictate their actions. Some of the best things in life happen when you open your mind to new experiences regardless of some prejudice. I used to work with a guy that was pretty racist. It even bled into other aspects of his life. When we would go to lunch at work, we couldn't go to just any restaurant. We had to go to a mainstream restaurant that would serve hotdogs or hamburgers because this guy didn't like eating ethnic foods. If people want to pass up on opportunities because of their ignorance, that's fine by me. I won't pass up such opportunities and experiences, and will be better for it.
    I guess simple foods feed the tiny mind.
    04-07-2015 11:52 PM
    I guess simple foods feed the tiny mind.
    I personally can't imagine being so narrow minded that it drives me to eat the same foods day in and day out. Hell, I get tired of eating at the cafe at lunch more than 3 times in the same week, even though they offer everything from Barbecue to grilled Salmon.

Not surprising about this guy is that he's also a staunch supporter of the GOP/Tea Party and listens to Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, and Glenn Beck.
    Smply_Rckless likes this.
    04-08-2015 06:33 AM
    Full disclosure I didn't read all the posts here. Racism falls on both parties IMO. Yes white people can and some are racist. That's the beauty of the freedom of this country. The same way a bakery can refuse to make a wedding cake for a gay couple. It's human nature to judge people and that's what everybody does. Black or white everybody judges everybody, if you say you don't then you're a liar.

Now I understand there's a stigma about white people thinking black people are thugs or they're going to get beat up or robbed by them if they're walking down a street. That's because the overwhelming popularity of inmates in American prisons are black. Now you can say some of them are in jail for racial profiling but even if you look at the facts of 7% of the prison population is white and 34% is black and you say 10% (giving a boat load of leway here) were wrongfully accused because of race that's still Aprox 20% higher still of your average white male.

So where I'm going with this is even with racial profiling considered the black community on record commits more crimes which makes them stand out like a sore thumb. If the crime rate went down I feel like the amount of respect would be properly given to them. There would still be racism no matter what with some old school people but changing the minds of the youth by showing as a race that black people changed for the better and stopped committing crimes would help a ton.

My next statement would fall on people like AL sharpton or Don king and all others that think like them. If you claim that everything that's done to a black person by a white person is racist then that takes away from the credibility of an actual racist act when it happens. Case and point watch or listen to the video of the actress from django unchained when she is approached by a cop for someone calling the police on her. She immediately claims that he's being racist and the police does a great job at defusing the argument.
    Only be concerned about the actual racist incidents rather than ones that just seem that way when a white and black person are involved.

Sorry for the long rant. I wanted to get most of it in one post. Haha
    04-08-2015 07:00 AM
    Of course I believe the are 100% wrong. Then again, anyone who deals in absolutes, is.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    04-08-2015 07:38 AM
    I personally can't imagine being so narrow minded that it drives me to eat the same foods day in and day out. Hell, I get tired of eating at the cafe at lunch more than 3 times in the same week, even though they offer everything from Barbecue to grilled Salmon.

Not surprising about this guy is that he's also a staunch supporter of the GOP/Tea Party and listens to Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, and Glenn Beck.
    You have common sense though. For some people, this is a real predicament. Their common sense gland is clogged. No new information can be inputted. In fact, it is so backed up, that **** comes out of their mouths.
    04-08-2015 07:41 AM
    Now I understand there's a stigma about white people thinking black people are thugs or they're going to get beat up or robbed by them if they're walking down a street. That's because the overwhelming popularity of inmates in American prisons are black. Now you can say some of them are in jail for racial profiling but even if you look at the facts of 7% of the prison population is white and 34% is black and you say 10% (giving a boat load of leway here) were wrongfully accused because of race that's still Aprox 20% higher still of your average white male.
    So by that logic, since the overwhelming majority of serial killers are middle aged Caucasians, I should assume 5 of my neighbors are serial killers?
    04-08-2015 07:52 AM
    And also eve6er69, you mentioned how everyone judges. I have learned that it is true, never judge a book by its cover. I judge people by their actions, not their appearance. While it is very easy to see a grossly overweight person riding on of those scooters designed for handicapped people and think, you fat disgusting pig, get off your *** and do something and you won't be such a disgrace. But, we as outsiders have no clue to how they wound up in this situation.

Allow me to paint a picture for you. Let's say a man and his family are supposed to meet the wife's parents for dinner at a specific time. Just before the man is getting ready to leave work, his boss asks him to do something that will have him leaving work 30 minutes later that he should have. (Let's say this man is in contention for a large promotion) So, he tells his boss sure thing, I will do it. So the man is leaving work later than he should have, a 15 minute jaunt home, and a quick 10 minute shower, put them an hour behind schedule. So, they hit the road, the man drives normally, no speeding, no running red lights. Their car is stopped at a red light, the light turns green and BAM! some drunken ****** blows the red light and smashed into the family's car. Killing all but the man, who is in serious medical condition. After months of being bedridden, dealing with survivors guilt as well as believing the accident was his fault, since he put his family at that intersection at that time because he told his boss he would do something, which can lead to severe depression. Being bed ridden can lead to gaining weight, which could to lead seeing yourself and being disgusted by your own appearance, which could lead to becoming more depressed, which could lead to over eating, which could to becoming more depressed, which could lead to over eating, which could to becoming more depressed, which could lead to over eating, which could to becoming more depressed. You see how a vicious cycle can completely alter a person's life? Most people do not give others the benefit of the doubt, unless they, or someone they care about has been through a similar ordeal.
    04-08-2015 08:13 AM
    So by that logic, since the overwhelming majority of serial killers are middle aged Caucasians, I should assume 5 of my neighbors are serial killers?
    If you want to go ahead but how many serial killers are in jail vs theft, robbery, assault and others. I'm talking overall numbers not a specific crime.
    04-08-2015 10:06 AM
    If you want to go ahead but how many serial killers are in jail vs theft, robbery, assault and others. I'm talking overall numbers not a specific crime.
    Good sir, if you are going to compare 3 types of crimes against 1, you have me beat. My point is not to make generalizations. Just because a high percentage of incarcerated people have dark skin, does not mean all people with dark skin bad. Some of the reasons why there are not a lot of serial killers in prison 1) it is a very rare crime. B) they tend to be highly intelligent.

Take for instance the unabomber, how long did it take the FBI to catch him? How many agents worked the case? If not for his brother telling the FBI that the manifesto was similar to some of his earlier writings, they probably never would have caught him. He was that smart. On the other hand, thugs, no matter what skin color, are blazing idiots.

I have learned to not write people off because of their appearance, or their perceived attitude. I work with a man of color, to look at him one might think he is mean, he is one of the nicest and most honest people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.
    04-08-2015 10:53 AM
    I never said all dark skin people are bad. What I was trying to say was because the majority of inmates are dark skin then people in a whole look at them in a negative manner. If those people or people going down that road changed how they do things and make money or act towards all other races then I feel that would help change the stigma that most are bad. I'm not here to argue, I'm just stating my opinion.
    04-08-2015 10:57 AM
    I never said all dark skin people are bad. What I was trying to say was because the majority of inmates are dark skin then people in a whole look at them in a negative manner. If those people or people going down that road changed how they do things and make money or act towards all other races then I feel that would help change the stigma that most are bad. I'm not here to argue, I'm just stating my opinion.
    I am not saying you said anything of the sort. My point is people seem to have misconceived notions about people that are different than them. These thoughts need to stop. There us only one race of people on this planet, the human one. I have said this several times, there are two kinds of people though, cool ones, and asshats.

I do not want to argue either, I see what you are saying. But people need to realize we are more the same than we are different.
    04-08-2015 11:19 AM
    I used to work with a guy that was pretty racist.
    Did your employer force your racist co-worker to attend sensitivity training?
    04-08-2015 01:56 PM
    Did your employer force your racist co-worker to attend sensitivity training?
    He did a good job of concealing it, just like those ***** college kids in OU. Funny thing is he's also from Oklahoma.

As to other posts in here, let's see, the system is set up so that kids in minority neighborhoods get less funding towards their education, this leads to less opportunities in life, not to mention that impoverished families generally have hard working parents or parents that shun their responsibilities and don't try to instill good values into their children. Then on the off chance that a child graduates from one of these under performing schools and lands a job, they must then contend with the "bigotry by association", "Well a large percentage of prison inmates are black, therefore it must be some genetic coding thing", so they're relegated to some low paying job or held in a lesser esteem because of the stigma of racism. NO, not all racism is the same. That's a flat out cop out from someone that's ok with the status quo because they aren't affected negatively by it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    04-08-2015 05:57 PM
    He did a good job of concealing it, just like those ***** college kids in OU. Funny thing is he's also from Oklahoma.
    You didn't report your racist co-worker to your boss?
    04-08-2015 07:01 PM
    People do not care about civil rights violations until it kicks them in the teeth and resides in their living room!
    04-08-2015 07:02 PM
142 ... 3456