04-07-2016 06:49 AM
47 12
tools
    With the latest GOP blunder and unprecedented move to bypass the President (yet again) and send a letter directly to the leaders of Iran rather than keeping things in their proper channels, I was wondering what people here thought about that.

I'm not prepared to call them traitors just yet. But still, I do think it was highly inappropriate and makes the U.S. look like bumbling idiots.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/politi...icle-1.2143825

Posted via Android Central App
    03-11-2015 11:55 PM
    If this pulls us into war, then I would call them traitors. As a matter of fact, I still don't know what business Congress had in inviting "bibi" to speak to them. I hope he loses his re-election bid in Israel as a direct result of him coming to the U.S. and trying to get the U.S. to do his dirty work.
    03-12-2015 06:33 PM
    If this pulls us into war, then I would call them traitors. As a matter of fact, I still don't know what business Congress had in inviting "bibi" to speak to them. I hope he loses his re-election bid in Israel as a direct result of him coming to the U.S. and trying to get the U.S. to do his dirty work.
    Yes. That was bad, but this is worse. It's interesting no one on the right here has chimed in yet. The silence is deafening. What's the matter guys? Embarrassed by your party representatives and their actions? You should be.

03-12-2015 09:54 PM
    Definitely traitors. Are these people brain dead?

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-13-2015 04:40 AM
    Definitely traitors. Are these people brain dead?

Oh no...according to John McCain they were just in a hurry trying to beat an approaching snowstorm and in a rush he didn't really read the thing he was signing very closely. Wow....and this man wanted to be President.

A895 likes this.
    03-13-2015 10:53 AM
    Oh no...according to John McCain they were just in a hurry trying to beat an approaching snowstorm and in a rush he didn't really read the thing he was signing very closely. Wow....and this man wanted to be President.

Right when I was actually started to like McCain a bit. I don't know how people can support Republicans after this.

03-13-2015 10:55 AM
    Right when I was actually started to like McCain a bit. I don't know how people can support Republicans after this.

And the ironic thing is, they are only a few months into their control of both chambers. Imagine what things they will do in two years!

And here they were supposed to be making changes, get rid of the dysfunction, and make people want to vote for them in 2016. They are not off to a great start..

03-13-2015 11:32 AM
    How is it traitorous to make it known that what amounts to an executive action doesn't have the same powers as an actual binding treaty? I find it both disturbing and amusing that mention of holding to our constitution is seen as traitorous. Would you rather have them hold their tongues, and let Obama strike a personal nuclear deal that either Congress or the next president could strike down at their whim?
    03-13-2015 06:49 PM
    How is it traitorous to make it known that what amounts to an executive action doesn't have the same powers as an actual binding treaty? I find it both disturbing and amusing that mention of holding to our constitution is seen as traitorous. Would you rather have them hold their tongues, and let Obama strike a personal nuclear deal that either Congress or the next president could strike down at their whim?
    Are you seriously condoning Republican Senators bypassing the people whose job it is to directly talk to countries we have issues with and pretty much threatening Iran?

GadgetGator likes this.
    03-13-2015 09:15 PM
    Are you seriously condoning Republican Senators bypassing the people whose job it is to directly talk to countries we have issues with and pretty much threatening Iran?
    Do I think they should have done it, or at least worded it that way? Maybe, and maybe not, but it would have been just as risky to let Obama strike an agreement under the impression to the Iranians that an agreement would have been binding long term. Considering how they could retaliate if the next President or Congress decided to revoke said agreement, or the situation we'd be in having to deal with it, I think we'd be better off to have full disclosure on how international agreements and treaties work in our government.

So what exactly in that letter was threatening? In what way were they traitors, other than the left didn't like it?
    03-13-2015 09:39 PM
    Do I think they should have done it, or at least worded it that way? Maybe, and maybe not, but it would have been just as risky to let Obama strike an agreement under the impression to the Iranians that an agreement would have been binding long term. Considering how they could retaliate if the next President or Congress decided to revoke said agreement, or the situation we'd be in having to deal with it, I think we'd be better off to have full disclosure on how international agreements and treaties work in our government.

So what exactly in that letter was threatening? In what way were they traitors, other than the left didn't like it?
    They completely undermined the president and said that anything the president says ain't worth jack. So they pretty much spoke down to Iran's government. It was just in poor taste all around.

Maybe not threatening directly. But it does post a threat to diplomatic relations between Iran and America in the near future.

03-13-2015 10:19 PM
    Even George Bush is probably going "WTF is going on?" And I don't mean that as him being ignorant.
    03-13-2015 11:34 PM
    It seems traitorous to me because it's like they're trying to precipitate war. Instead of allowing diplomacy to take root, it's like they're insisting that the President has no power. If I didn't know better, I'd say that a coup was taking place. Don't worry though, I don't see the GOP taking control of the White House in 2016 with the way they're doing things now.
    A895 likes this.
    03-14-2015 12:04 AM
    So let me get this straight....when Obama first took office there were numerous mentions that if he talked to our enemies he would be a traitor. But when Republicans write them a letter directly, it's all good. Does that about sum it up?

Of course lost in this point of yours is that

1) The Iranians are probably well aware of how our government works and don't need to be lectured in a patronizing way.

2) This bypass letter thing was unprecedented..congress just doesn't do things like that.

3) This isn't a US/Iran thing. There are other countries involved in this too. Should Parliament write a letter for England? How about Russia? Think Putin would accept another arm of government bypassing him as well?

4) There's a number of Republicans not too happy either with the way this was handled. It's not just the left. And the way Republicans are scrambling to justify it is telling. It it it....was a joke, that's it. It it it...was a rush job due to a snowstorm and everyone wanted to get out of town. Lame lame excuses. The kind of excuses you would expect from a teen who didn't do their homework correctly. Not the response of adults in congress. But then, they haven't acted very mature lately, so why start now?

They know they are in hot water and getting blowback from even their own party. It was a pathetic move with no justification.

A895 likes this.
    03-14-2015 01:53 AM
    It also doesn't help that this sends yet another message to the planet that our government is so divisive that its not even funny, its now just pathetic.
    GadgetGator and A895 like this.
    03-14-2015 11:45 AM
    With the latest GOP blunder and unprecedented move to bypass the President (yet again) and send a letter directly to the leaders of Iran rather than keeping things in their proper channels, I was wondering what people here thought about that.
    Treason is certainly a crime. Can we put the people involved on trial?
    03-19-2015 10:46 PM

He's the president. He strikes those agreements. An agreement that is yet unknown. These are 47 morons. That's where it starts and ends.

A895 likes this.
    03-19-2015 11:01 PM
    He's the president. He strikes those agreements. An agreement that is yet unknown. These are 47 morons. That's where it starts and ends.
    Do we need to send anyone to prison for this?
    03-20-2015 12:17 AM
    What do you think?

A895 likes this.
    03-21-2015 11:32 PM
    What do you think?

I'd say not for just this, but for this in combination with a lot more, like holding the rest of the country hostage because they want to tie Obamacare killing legislation into everything, for contempt OF THE PEOPLE by threatening to, then actually shutting down the government, for not recognizing Obama as the President of the U.S. (We had no problem recognizing Bush as President even though his intelligence was about as bright as a .000001 Watt light bulb that had been run over by a black steam roller in the middle of the night).

There are a lot more reasons that we could use to throw some of these people in jail. What I'd like to see them thrown in jail for is for claiming a paycheck from the American government but not putting in the hours legislating. I'd personally like to see them subject to HOURLY salaries. I imagine they probably put in about 10 hours a week doing legislative duties, and the rest of the time they spend jet setting and asking for campaign money.

At least one of these schmucks is leaving...

As spending scrutiny mounts, Rep. Aaron Schock resigns from Congress - CBS News
    03-22-2015 10:34 AM
    What do you think?
    I think all crimes should be put on trial in a court of law.
    03-23-2015 03:58 AM
    What crime, if any would you assign to these members of Congress? Do you think that they understand that they are inhibiting a peace deal or do you think they're just so blind in their hate of Obama that they don't realize the consequences of their actions?
    A895 likes this.
    03-23-2015 06:53 AM
    That's vague and pretty much what every person would think. I don't think the average person wants either vigilante justice nor let crimes go unpunished. So moving past that..... Do you think a crime was committed in this situation? You ask a lot of questions but don't explain your positions enough a lot of times.

A895 and Scott7217 like this.
    03-24-2015 01:09 PM
    Do you think a crime was committed in this situation?
    I think that if you look hard enough, you will find that every politician is guilty of some crime.

As to the situation in question, I fully support impeachment proceedings to go forward.
    03-24-2015 06:06 PM
    Is Israel spying on U.S.-Iran's nuclear talks? - CNN Video

So lets see, Israel is spying on us, the GOP is having meetings with Israeli officials to help undermine the peace negotiations with Iran, at what point do we start addressing them as traitors?
    A895 and msndrstood like this.
    03-25-2015 07:03 PM
47 12