The US Supreme Court is trying to decide whether there is a limit on what may be put on a license plate.

The Washington Post -- Censorship vs. free speech on specialized license plates in Texas (article link)

Texas allows drivers to purchase custom license plates to raise money. People can buy plates that support schools, sport teams, charities, and businesses.

The Sons of Confederate Veterans wants to put their logo on license plates, but Texas won't allow it because the logo contains a Confederate flag. This is now a free speech case before the Supreme Court.

Are license plates an expression of free speech of the motorist, or do they represent the state government issuing them?
    03-25-2015 08:31 PM
    I am all for free speech, but I am fairly certain that if I wanted a KILLCOPS personalized plate, I would get shot down. If the state says no to a confederate flag on the actual plate itself, perhaps these good old boys can either talk in code on their plates or just get a confederate flag license frame, or even do both.
    A895 likes this.
    03-25-2015 08:46 PM
    The US Supreme Court is trying to decide whether there is a limit on what may be put on a license plate.

The Washington Post -- Censorship vs. free speech on specialized license plates in Texas (article link)

Texas allows drivers to purchase custom license plates to raise money. People can buy plates that support schools, sport teams, charities, and businesses.

The Sons of Confederate Veterans wants to put their logo on license plates, but Texas won't allow it because the logo contains a Confederate flag. This is now a free speech case before the Supreme Court.

Are license plates an expression of free speech of the motorist, or do they represent the state government issuing them?
    What do you think?

What's good for the goose.....
    03-25-2015 08:48 PM
    What do you think?
    I don't, it hurts.
    03-25-2015 08:50 PM
    The plate is issued by the state and there's already many cases where personalized plates have been denied for various reasons (expletives, threatening violence, etc), setting a precedence. A person has the right to free speech, but not to compel a government to make the speech for them. I'm surprised the U.S. Supreme Court is even taking the case.
    03-26-2015 08:30 AM
    What do you think?

What's good for the goose.....
    I would oppose the license plate from the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

In your opinion, is that the right decision?
    03-26-2015 06:29 PM
    I would oppose the license plate from the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

In your opinion, is that the right decision?
    Remind them that the civil war has been over for more than 100 years now, and it's time to move on?
    Scott7217 and A895 like this.
    03-26-2015 06:44 PM
    Remind them that the civil war has been over for more than 100 years now, and it's time to move on?
    Sure, we can do that. Everyone involved in the American Civil War has been dead for a long time. The North and South are no longer at war with each other.

If the Sons of Confederate Veterans loses this case, then the power to decide what is acceptable on license plates will remain with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles.
    03-26-2015 06:56 PM
    The North and South are no longer at war with each other.
    I don't know, seems like the red states are mostly below the Mason Dixon line and the blue ones are above it...
    03-26-2015 07:05 PM
    If the state says no to a confederate flag on the actual plate itself, perhaps these good old boys can either talk in code on their plates or just get a confederate flag license frame, or even do both.
    The Sons of Confederate Veterans will just need to confine their activities to January 19th.

Originally, Texas celebrated Robert E. Lee's birthday, but this was changed in 1973 to include Jefferson Davis' birthday as well. The combined holiday is now known as Confederate Heroes Day, which is held every January 19th, the same month as Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
    03-26-2015 07:22 PM
    Should we also remove the monuments to the soldiers and the memorials at the various battlefields? Seems to me that these things also serve as reminders of a time long gone and we should just move on. 100 years should be ample time to move on, so I expect you will also be rallying for the removal of revolutionary war reminders and eagerly awaiting the century mark to arrive for WWI.

As for the license plates, I could care less what people want to put on them as long as the rules are fairly enforced. I would be offended if I knew that a confederate flag was banned but a black panther symbol was allowed.
    03-26-2015 09:11 PM
    Should we also remove the monuments to the soldiers and the memorials at the various battlefields? Seems to me that these things also serve as reminders of a time long gone and we should just move on. 100 years should be ample time to move on, so I expect you will also be rallying for the removal of revolutionary war reminders and eagerly awaiting the century mark to arrive for WWI.

As for the license plates, I could care less what people want to put on them as long as the rules are fairly enforced. I would be offended if I knew that a confederate flag was banned but a black panther symbol was allowed.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner, folks! Seems one of the Sons of Confederate Veterans has graced us with their presence. I for one am grateful. The confederate army is long gone, and besides that, they lost. And I am not for removing any monuments, what I am against is, anyone who stands proud for a group of people that perpetrated Atrocities. Now before you gallop full throttle on you high horse, I am not talking about the horrors of war itself. After all, war is hell. If a German American wanted a plate to commemorate Auschwitz or the Holocaust, I would be against that too. Next time, please do not put words in my mouth. Thank you very much, have a nice day.
    A895 likes this.
    03-26-2015 09:42 PM
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner, folks! Seems one of the Sons of Confederate Veterans has graced us with their presence. I for one am grateful.
    So I disagree and you go straight for the insults? I guess that's one way to go, although most adults might prefer a different tact.

The confederate army is long gone, and besides that, they lost.
    As there were many reasons for the civil war besides slavery, there are many reasons a person may be proud of an ancestor that fought in the war. I am not in a position to judge the motives of another person, so I will not say they are wrong for what they feel.

what I am against is, anyone who stands proud for a group of people that perpetrated Atrocities.
    You realize of course that even at it's height, no more than a third of southerners owned slaves, right? That still leaves two-thirds that didn't own slaves. Maybe the pride isn't from the support of slavery, but other reasons. I have never met anyone that is proud of having a slave owning ancestor.

If a German American wanted a plate to commemorate Auschwitz or the Holocaust, I would be against that too.
    What if it's a plate that promotes the New Black Panther Party? Why do all of the examples used have to be white extremists? Like I said before, I am all for censorship as long as it's evenly enforced.
    03-26-2015 11:05 PM
    So I disagree and you go straight for the insults? I guess that's one way to go, although most adults might prefer a different tact.

As there were many reasons for the civil war besides slavery, there are many reasons a person may be proud of an ancestor that fought in the war. I am not in a position to judge the motives of another person, so I will not say they are wrong for what they feel.

You realize of course that even at it's height, no more than a third of southerners owned slaves, right? That still leaves two-thirds that didn't own slaves. Maybe the pride isn't from the support of slavery, but other reasons. I have never met anyone that is proud of having a slave owning ancestor.

What if it's a plate that promotes the New Black Panther Party? Why do all of the examples used have to be white extremists? Like I said before, I am all for censorship as long as it's evenly enforced.
    Texas License Plates-cbl-fishing.jpg

Thanks for coming out.
    A895 likes this.
    03-27-2015 12:05 AM
    Should we also remove the monuments to the soldiers and the memorials at the various battlefields?
    No, we should keep the monuments and memorials as a reminder of where we've been and how far we've come along.

On a related note, it probably doesn't make sense to forbid Civil War reenactments. Some people like to dress up as Union and Confederate soldiers and conduct a mock battle.

As far as license plates go, I believe Texas allows a "Choose Life" license plate, but it does not allow a "Support Choice" license plate. If the Sons of Confederate Veterans win in court, I can see Texas being forced to make a "Support Choice" license plate available for purchase.
    03-27-2015 03:50 PM

The state government. People have to remember the purpose of a license plate. It is there for people to easily identify a vehicle. The only reason they went to vanity license plates was to make additional money. They could just as easily go back to random letters and numbers for all.

If you want free speech on the back of your car, well that's what a bumper sticker is for.

Posted via Android Central App
    A895 likes this.
    03-27-2015 10:48 PM
    The state government. People have to remember the purpose of a license plate. It is there for people to easily identify a vehicle. The only reason they went to vanity license plates was to make additional money.
    This is why some people believe it is important to leave the ultimate decision up to the state government.

Texas can exclude license plates for the Sons of Confederate Veterans, but it can allow plates to say things like this:

Texas
    One State Under God
    03-30-2015 04:17 PM