04-15-2015 10:25 PM
163 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I would say Connecticut's RFRA is much broader given the provisions in Sec. 52-571b.

Yet we don't see any outrage over Connecticut's law, nor do we see rampant use of Connecticut's RFRA to discriminate against people.

Maybe people give Connecticut a pass because it's a blue state?
    Well I don't know. When was it passed and did the governor at the time have a bunch of anti gay group leaders standing behind them when they signed it?

Posted via Android Central App
    04-04-2015 03:18 AM
    I already mentioned one, the Memory's Pizza story. I've heard second hand that in one radio interview the owner said they don't do catering anyway. I didn't hear the actual interview, so I'll say if that's true, then it makes the death threats and fake ordering ever more immature. The Ferguson riots and freeway blocking protests being another recent example. I did a quick Google search for two phrases. "Violent liberal protests" and "Violent conservative protests". Sure it isn't scientific, but there was hardly any results directly related to conservative protests (and most were still related to liberal protests), but there were plenty hits on the liberal search. Or how about just simple disrespect, such as the occupy Wall St. camps that left the parks a wreck.
    Lol, none of these are hard examples of the left being violent or intolerable.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-04-2015 07:42 AM
    The litmus test for these bigots is fairly easy. Have the government hire someone that's intimately versed in the business owner's religion, and have the business owner require a questionnaire be filled out by ALL customers. Lets take Christianity for simplicity's sake (even though I am not going to pretend to know it well). The business owner's questionnaire will have questions such as "Do you covet thy neighbor's wife?", "Have you ever worked on the Sabbath?", "Do you honor thy mother and father?", "Have you ever used the Lord's name in vain?", "Have you had sex out of wedlock?", and then finally they can ask, "Is your sexuality homosexual in nature?". If these businesses will deny service to ANYONE that breaks even one item in their belief system, then I have no problem with them claiming it violates their religious beliefs. But since these bigots are using this law to deny ONE SPECIFIC CLASS OF PEOPLE, then they're full of crap.

The funny part, from what a former friend of mine had once informed me, is that there is nothing explicitly specific about homosexuality in the bible (sure there's something about laying with another man, but it's not specific nor extremely damning). Homosexuality isn't even mentioned in the 10 commandments for Christ's sake (Yes I used it in pseudo-vain, no I don't want any services you have to offer).
    GadgetGator and A895 like this.
    04-04-2015 12:51 PM
    The litmus test for these bigots is fairly easy. Have the government hire someone that's intimately versed in the business owner's religion, and have the business owner require a questionnaire be filled out by ALL customers. Lets take Christianity for simplicity's sake (even though I am not going to pretend to know it well). The business owner's questionnaire will have questions such as "Do you covet thy neighbor's wife?", "Have you ever worked on the Sabbath?", "Do you honor thy mother and father?", "Have you ever used the Lord's name in vain?", "Have you had sex out of wedlock?", and then finally they can ask, "Is your sexuality homosexual in nature?". If these businesses will deny service to ANYONE that breaks even one item in their belief system, then I have no problem with them claiming it violates their religious beliefs. But since these bigots are using this law to deny ONE SPECIFIC CLASS OF PEOPLE, then they're full of crap.

The funny part, from what a former friend of mine had once informed me, is that there is nothing explicitly specific about homosexuality in the bible (sure there's something about laying with another man, but it's not specific nor extremely damning). Homosexuality isn't even mentioned in the 10 commandments for Christ's sake (Yes I used it in pseudo-vain, no I don't want any services you have to offer).
    Exactly.. If a flower shop is worried about sending flowers to a gay wedding, but not worried about other customers, such as the guy sending flowers to his mistress, then it's not really about religion at all.

04-04-2015 02:03 PM
    And now with the pizza store case, it seems like the party of tolerance isn't so tolerant. They had to shut down in part because of death threats... And some people call conservatives the party of hate and bigotry. The left loves to say they are tolerant, but can be some of the most intolerant people when you say or do something they don't agree with.
    From what I've heard, two pizza restaurants were affected.

First, people were protesting against the wrong restaurant:

ABC17 -- Anti-bigotry critics harass wrong pizzeria (article link)

Memories Gourmet Pizza Co. is in Wisconsin, which is not related to Memories Pizza in Indiana. (I guess people didn't bother to double-check a map.)

Back in Indiana, it's true that Memories Pizza had to close because of threats, which included arson.

However, there was an online fundraiser in support of Memories Pizza during its closure. The goal was $200,000, but the fundraiser managed to accumulate $842,592 in 3 days.
    04-04-2015 09:11 PM
    From what I've heard, two pizza restaurants were affected.

First, people were protesting against the wrong restaurant:

ABC17 -- Anti-bigotry critics harass wrong pizzeria (article link)

Memories Gourmet Pizza Co. is in Wisconsin, which is not related to Memories Pizza in Indiana. (I guess people didn't bother to double-check a map.)

Back in Indiana, it's true that Memories Pizza had to close because of threats, which included arson.

However, there was an online fundraiser in support of Memories Pizza during its closure. The goal was $200,000, but the fundraiser managed to accumulate $842,592 in 3 days.
    Which I am sure is FAR more that what that pizza place would make in that same time period. So they aren't hurting. Wouldn't be surprised if they made some of it up themselves.

As for Wisconsin... Wow. I wish I could say everyone on the left was intelligent, but clearly this shows that isn't the case. Dumb as rocks

A895 and Scott7217 like this.
    04-04-2015 10:04 PM
    Which I am sure is FAR more that what that pizza place would make in that same time period. So they aren't hurting.
    I've heard that there's a florist in Washington state who refused to sell flowers for a same-sex wedding. She refused because she said it was against her religious beliefs.

The state fined her $1,000 for violating an anti-discrimination law. However, an online fundraiser accumulated $85,000 for the florist.
    04-06-2015 08:13 PM
    I've heard that there's a florist in Washington state who refused to sell flowers for a same-sex wedding. She refused because she said it was against her religious beliefs.

The state fined her $1,000 for violating an anti-discrimination law. However, an online fundraiser accumulated $85,000 for the florist.
    Ugh, I hate how people can do that.

04-06-2015 09:21 PM
    It's obvious that this law was worded by the same party that brought you "Death Tax", "Death Panels", "Defense of Marriage", and other policies that are anything but what they are spelled out to be.

Indiana's anti-LGBT law a preview for 2016? - CNN.com

What's your take? To me it seems pretty obvious that it's set up to allow people to discriminate against LGBT groups. My opinion of it is that if it gives companies a right to legally discriminate against people, then I'm going to refuse to do businesses with companies based out of Indiana. This reminds me of the "Whites Only" businesses. Back then people that that was also ok. When will they learn?!?!
    Sounds to me like, a few closet doors need to be opened!
    04-06-2015 09:28 PM

I'd bet both my eyeballs, and my house, that if I refused to serve a Christian family, because the belief in god goes against my common sense beliefs, there would be a tremendous outcry for this family, and fierce protest regarding my discrimination against Christianity.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    04-06-2015 09:37 PM
    Sounds to me like, a few closet doors need to be opened!
    What's funny is that some of the people that scream loudest against the LGBT community seem to be denying some of their own apparent urges and appear to be GOP. The guy that I've suspected is a perfect example is Michelle Bachmann's husband.

Indiana & "Religious Freedom Restoration Act"-rtr2pe5f.jpg
    A895 and Scott7217 like this.
    04-06-2015 11:23 PM
    I'd bet both my eyeballs, and my house, that if I refused to serve a Christian family, because the belief in god goes against my common sense beliefs, there would be a tremendous outcry for this family, and fierce protest regarding my discrimination against Christianity.
    Memories Pizza in Indiana said that they would not deny service to a gay person who walked into their restaurant to eat. So, if you're hungry, you can sit down in the restaurant and order food, whether you're gay or straight.

So, perhaps Memories Pizza would be more tolerant than you would be in a similar situation?
    04-07-2015 12:21 AM
    Ugh, I hate how people can do that.
    People certainly love to vote with their wallet.
    04-07-2015 12:23 AM
    People certainly love to vote with their wallet.
    That isn't voting that is showing support for a cause that isn't even worth supporting. People acting like their religious freedoms are being punished when Christianity is so over represented in America you would think it is the official religion.

04-07-2015 08:11 AM
    Memories Pizza in Indiana said that they would not deny service to a gay person who walked into their restaurant to eat. So, if you're hungry, you can sit down in the restaurant and order food, whether you're gay or straight.

So, perhaps Memories Pizza would be more tolerant than you would be in a similar situation?

Indeed they would. However, I would be doing it out of spite, and to prove a point.
    04-07-2015 09:00 AM
    Baker refuses anti-gay order, gets 'nasty' gestures
    http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...rder.wkmg.html

This guy seems like a closet case. Hate speech >< freedom to live your own life without being discriminated against.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    04-07-2015 05:45 PM
    Indeed they would. However, I would be doing it out of spite, and to prove a point.
    It's good that you acknowledge that Memories Pizza in Indiana would be more tolerant than you would be.

That being said, it would be interesting if you pursued your idea of refusing service to a Christian family. Perhaps that is a course of action you should take.
    04-07-2015 07:47 PM
    It's good that you acknowledge that Memories Pizza in Indiana would be more tolerant than you would be.

That being said, it would be interesting if you pursued your idea of refusing service to a Christian family. Perhaps that is a course of action you should take.
    I aim to be as honest as possible. Liars need good memories.
    04-07-2015 07:49 PM
    That isn't voting that is showing support for a cause that isn't even worth supporting.
    You're certainly free to believe that, but other people would disagree. Furthermore, people have put their own money down to show that they are serious.

I was reading more about the florist in Washington state, and apparently she has been selling flowers to the person who sued her for a long time. She was aware that he was gay.

So, the issue the florist had wasn't that she was selling flowers to a gay man. She only objected to the wedding because of her religious beliefs. She offered to refer the man to another florist who would be willing to fill the order for the wedding.

That wasn't enough, which is why the florist got a $1,000 fine. Other people didn't think that was fair, so that's why they raised $85,000 for the florist.
    04-07-2015 08:04 PM
    I aim to be as honest as possible.
    Honesty is a good policy. If we take a look at the people who don't want to participate in same-sex marriages, we'll simply find people who want to be honest with their own personal beliefs. There's nothing wrong with that.
    04-07-2015 08:17 PM
    If you did that, you'd be my personal hero.
    04-07-2015 08:57 PM
    As for Wisconsin... Wow. I wish I could say everyone on the left was intelligent, but clearly this shows that isn't the case. Dumb as rocks
    At least some are trying to make amends. I haven't heard much about the pizzeria in Wisconsin, but the one in Indiana is getting more news. A few more details about the crowd-funding campaign are starting to emerge.

LGBT Weekly -- Lesbian couple donate money to controversial Indiana pizzeria (article link)

From the article:

Twenty of those dollars, however, have come from an unlikely source: Courtney Hoffman, Courtney, who is lesbian, wrote, along with her donation, that, “As a member of the gay community, I would like to apologize for the mean spirited attacks on you and your business. I know many gay individuals who fully support your rights to stand up for your beliefs and run your business according to those beliefs. We are outraged at the level of hate and intolerance that has been directed at you and I sincerely hope you are able to rebuild.”
    04-07-2015 09:58 PM
    You're certainly free to believe that, but other people would disagree. Furthermore, people have put their own money down to show that they are serious.

I was reading more about the florist in Washington state, and apparently she has been selling flowers to the person who sued her for a long time. She was aware that he was gay.

So, the issue the florist had wasn't that she was selling flowers to a gay man. She only objected to the wedding because of her religious beliefs. She offered to refer the man to another florist who would be willing to fill the order for the wedding.

That wasn't enough, which is why the florist got a $1,000 fine. Other people didn't think that was fair, so that's why they raised $85,000 for the florist.
    What I don't understand how your religious beliefs intersect with your ability to make money. "Oh they could pay money for the service/product I offer, but their gay and that's icky, so no".

04-07-2015 11:45 PM
    Anyone else think the florist loves planting tulips?
    04-07-2015 11:47 PM

But I bet she has never questioned if other flower arrangements violate her religious beliefs, like cheating spouses for instance. Which makes her a lying hypocrite.

04-08-2015 03:18 AM
163 ... 23456 ...