04-15-2015 10:25 PM
163 ... 567
tools
    That takes time.....why should a gay couple have to wait when heterosexual couples would not?
    Well, the gay community wants to be treated as equals, and that's just not fair to the folks who are already considered equals.

People are afraid that if same sex marriage becomes legal it will become more of the extravagant nonsense it already is.

I say, I if the gays want to get hitched, let them. Everyone has the right to be miserable.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    04-10-2015 08:40 PM
    That takes time.....why should a gay couple have to wait when heterosexual couples would not?
    Heterosexual couples have to wait, too, if they're trying to get something for a wedding. For example, it's not like I can get a fully-made wedding cake over the counter. The best I can probably get on short-notice is a blank sheet cake.

So, where's this rural town you were speaking of? You know, the one that only has a single bakery, florist, or pizzeria that doesn't serve gay people?
    04-10-2015 08:45 PM
    Sounds like you are describing half, if not more of the cry babies, that believe they are entitled to behave in this manner, simply because they can, run, catch, throw a ball. There should be a wasambulance clause, that allows the team to drop them like the stuff that clings to the toilet bowl after Taco Bell and a night of heavy drinking.
    Yeah, a good percentage are that way, but the true greats play with reckless abandonment 100% of the time, hence the reason there are few true greats in ANY sport nowadays. Of course, these athletes are starting to find out that after they've played their sports, they tend to go bankrupt and have a hard time to adjusting to life after sports, so I can see some of them being jaded.

Just to be clear, you haven't disagreed with my explanation about the professional athletes or catering Cheney's luncheon. So at least we're making progress.

As for accommodating the general public, you need to look at what was actually done. The florist in Washington state served the gay man 20 times. He purchased approximately $4,500 in flowers. There were no prior complaints.

For the wedding, the gay man admitted in court documents that he wanted something "very simple and understated." The exact order was for "sticks or twigs in a vase."

Under oath, the florist admitted that she would have sold him the materials. It never got to that point because the gay man was angry at the florist for her religious beliefs. He then filed a lawsuit.

Honestly, I don't see the problem in placing an order for a vase full of sticks or twigs and picking them up on the day of the wedding. Even a member of the wedding party could stop by the florist shop to pick up the order.

As for the arrangement... it's sticks... or twigs... in a vase. Do we need instructions on how to put sticks or twigs inside a vase? (Hint: One end of the vase is open.)
    If I owned a business and someone like **** Cheney wanted my business, why would I do anything but serve him? I might not like him in my establishment, but I'm not going to become a polarizing force since during business hours, I should be about serving my customers, not about making a political statement. IMO if you want to make a political statement, run for office. If you want to have a successful business, stay true just to YOUR craft and ONLY your craft. Anything else is just garbage.
    04-10-2015 08:54 PM
    If I owned a business and someone like **** Cheney wanted my business, why would I do anything but serve him? I might not like him in my establishment, but I'm not going to become a polarizing force since during business hours, I should be about serving my customers, not about making a political statement. IMO if you want to make a political statement, run for office. If you want to have a successful business, stay true just to YOUR craft and ONLY your craft. Anything else is just garbage.
    Exactly, you can choose to cater the luncheon for Cheney. If another caterer refused, that would be no problem, either. It's their loss, and your win. You get the money and possibly a photo of you shaking hands with the former vice-president, congratulating him on taking good care of America for 8 years.

The key word is choice. You get to choose. The law shouldn't force you.

So, why do you get to choose, and the florist doesn't get to choose?
    04-10-2015 09:25 PM
    Exactly, you can choose to cater the luncheon for Cheney. If another caterer refused, that would be no problem, either. It's their loss, and your win. You get the money and possibly a photo of you shaking hands with the former vice-president, congratulating him on taking good care of America for 8 years.

Indeed. Choice is choice. You can choose to serve anyone you wish to or not. For me though, not serving someone because of their sexual orientation, or because of their ethnic origin, or because of their gender, is a dillhole move. Now, not serving someone because they are a dillhole, is something I can stand behind.
    Scott7217 and A895 like this.
    04-10-2015 09:33 PM
    I say, I if the gays want to get hitched, let them. Everyone has the right to be miserable.
    Marriage doesn't guarantee happiness.

I have a feeling that if the law continues to force people to do things they don't want, people will simply make further adjustments.

The florist in Washington state did not depend on weddings to make a living. Weddings only took up 3% of her business. She could simply refuse to do any wedding (straight or gay) and continue operating on the remaining 97% (which I think is just regular sales of flowers).

Any fines that the state would levy against her would be paid off by the donations from the crowd-funding. Since the tax-liability falls on the donors (i.e. they pay the tax), she gets the donations tax-free.

Right now it would be approximately $160,757 minus the fines from the state and the legal fees from her lawyers.
    04-10-2015 09:36 PM
    Indeed. Choice is choice. You can choose to serve anyone you wish to or not.
    Plus, the florist still sold flowers to the gay man, and she was willing to sell the vase of sticks and twigs that he wanted for his wedding. So it's not like she completely cut him off.
    04-10-2015 09:41 PM

So lets take this a step further, lets say there's a business owner that hates blacks, hispanics, gays, women, etc. Wouldn't it be that business owner's choice not to hire anyone but white men? Wouldn't that be the same thing you're condoning?

Now I have to ask the same question that GG is asking, are you going to answer any of the questions that we pose or are you just going to deflect?
    A895 and GadgetGator like this.
    04-10-2015 09:44 PM
    Marriage doesn't guarantee happiness.
    Exactly my point. Marriage is a sham. It's simply a piece of paper that forces people to fight over freedom once they get sick of each other.
    04-10-2015 09:44 PM
    Heterosexual couples have to wait, too, if they're trying to get something for a wedding. For example, it's not like I can get a fully-made wedding cake over the counter. The best I can probably get on short-notice is a blank sheet cake.

So, where's this rural town you were speaking of? You know, the one that only has a single bakery, florist, or pizzeria that doesn't serve gay people?
    I will answer no further questions of yours until you stop ignoring the question that has been asked of you by multiple people now. It doesn't work that way.

Posted via Android Central App
    A895 likes this.
    04-11-2015 03:49 PM
    I've been catching up on some Daily Show viewing and Jon Stewart brings up a good point for everyone trying to create a false equivalence via "If a white supremacist asked a black baker....." or other crazy scenarios. He wondered how someone would compare the act of 2 CONSENTING ADULTS celebrating their love for each other to someone looking to have some hate speech filled good or service provided for them. It is truly sad how some people's minds work.
    A895 likes this.
    04-13-2015 03:09 PM
    It is truly sad how some people's minds work.
    Fact of the matter is, they don't!
    04-13-2015 11:04 PM
    04-15-2015 10:25 PM
163 ... 567