05-22-2015 05:30 PM
32 12
tools
    A jury passed a guilty verdict for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who is charged with participating in the Boston Marathon bombing.

BBC News -- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev: Boston Marathon bomber found guilty (article link)

The prosecution said that bombing was an effort by Tsarnaev and his brother to punish America for conducting wars in Muslim countries.

Tsarnaev was found guilty on all 30 charges, and he is now eligible for the death penalty.
    04-08-2015 02:38 PM
    Good. May he rot in a prison cell for the next 60-70 years. Death is too good for him.

Posted via Android Central App
    04-08-2015 08:37 PM
    Good. May he rot in a prison cell for the next 60-70 years. Death is too good for him.
    It would be interesting if the jury selected the death penalty. Massachusetts prohibits the death penalty, but it's allowed under federal law.

Maybe they'll transport Dzhokhar Tsarnaev outside of Massachusetts if the government had to execute him, but then the European Union would still refuse to supply drugs for a lethal injection for the United States.

It's easier if Tsarnaev spent the rest of his life locked up in isolation, 23 hours a day.
    04-09-2015 07:26 PM
    If he's convicted of death, can we just put a pressure cooker full of shrapnel in his cell?
    JnEricsonx likes this.
    04-09-2015 09:03 PM
    If he's convicted of death, can we just put a pressure cooker full of shrapnel in his cell?
    It would be interesting to see Dzhokhar Tsarnaev meet justice in the same way he committed his crimes. They would probably do something like that in Iran. I believe the Iranian government sentenced a man to blinding as punishment for throwing acid into someone else's face.

In America, we have some people calling for Tsarnaev to serve a life sentence instead:

CBS News -- More Boston bombing victims oppose death penalty (article link)
    04-23-2015 04:34 PM
    I support the death penalty, but in this case I think I'd object to it. If he's like other terrorists, he'll WANT to die. Why give him what he wants?

Now if he's put in prison and something "mysteriously" happens to him, day in and day out for the next 40-50 years... Well, who are we to judge what happens to terrorists.
    04-23-2015 04:58 PM
    It would be interesting to see Dzhokhar Tsarnaev meet justice in the same way he committed his crimes. They would probably do something like that in Iran. I believe the Iranian government sentenced a man to blinding as punishment for throwing acid into someone else's face.

In America, we have some people calling for Tsarnaev to serve a life sentence instead:

CBS News -- More Boston bombing victims oppose death penalty (article link)
    The reason they want it is because they don't want to relive that horrific event every time this POS attempts to file for an appeal. I can understand that stance, but I would like this piece of garbage's life extinguished. Let him go meet his "72 virgins".

Boston Marathon Bomber Guilty-ugly.jpg
    04-23-2015 05:20 PM
    I support the death penalty, but in this case I think I'd object to it. If he's like other terrorists, he'll WANT to die. Why give him what he wants?
    If Tsarnaev is executed, he becomes a martyr.

If he is abused, he becomes a political prisoner.

If he is treated nicely, America looks weak.

By the way, his family is in Boston now:

NECN -- Family of Marathon Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Arrives in Boston (article link)

However, his mother is not in the United States because she has an outstanding shoplifting warrant for her arrest. She is the one that said, "America is the terrorist and everyone knows it!” on a Russian social networking website.

The Guardian -- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's mother insists on son's innocence amid guilty verdict (article link)
    04-23-2015 05:40 PM

NECN -- Family of Marathon Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Arrives in Boston (article link)

However, his mother is not in the United States because she has an outstanding shoplifting warrant for her arrest. She is the one that said, "America is the terrorist and everyone knows it!” on a Russian social networking website.

The Guardian -- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's mother insists on son's innocence amid guilty verdict (article link)
    I say bite the bullet and let this ******* bite one as well. I may count myself as a liberal most of the time, in this case, this is when the little Republican in me starts yelling. Just execute him, cause we don't wanna through appeals over and over again. Though I admit if he was getting the hell beaten out of him in prison on a regular basis I wouldn't mind. For context, I live in New York, so I have little sympathy for any kind of person who decides to kill Americans in God's name.
    04-23-2015 07:25 PM

That's lovely, his mom is a piece of garbage thief. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree it would seem.....
    anon(92475) likes this.
    04-23-2015 07:29 PM
    I say bite the bullet and let this ******* bite one as well. I may count myself as a liberal most of the time, in this case, this is when the little Republican in me starts yelling. Just execute him, cause we don't wanna through appeals over and over again. Though I admit if he was getting the hell beaten out of him in prison on a regular basis I wouldn't mind. For context, I live in New York, so I have little sympathy for any kind of person who decides to kill Americans in God's name.
    The biggest problem I tend to have with the death penalty is that there are so many cases where an innocent person is executed. This piece of garbage is as guilty as they come. I can't help but wish that his brother hadn't been shot and killed on site by police just to have both of them have to wait for their fate. His brother being shot and instantly killed seemed merciful to me.

Oh and what kind of piece of garbage of a mother doesn't come to spend time with her last son because she has a criminal record? Stay classy piece of garbage Tsarnaev mom, stay classy....
    04-24-2015 04:28 AM
    In some cases when its so blatantly bloody obvious, I mean as there's 0 way it can be wrong, then waste the sucker. Anything short of that, yeah, then I fully admit its a issue.
    04-24-2015 07:37 PM
    Maybe death is good for him. But imagine how much money he will cost during his life in prison. He won't be suffering if he finds something to do in prison (some work). Just keep himself bussy.
    04-28-2015 04:50 AM
    Just execute him, cause we don't wanna through appeals over and over again.
    Tsarnaev's lawyer is Judy Clarke. She is famous for sparing her clients from the death penalty. Clarke has represented:

Ted Kaczynski (the Unabomber)

Susan Smith (the woman who drowned her kids by driving her car into a lake)

Eric Rudolph (the Atlanta Olympics bomber)

Zacarias Moussaoui (a member of al-Qaeda who helped to plan 9/11)

Jared Lee Loughner (the man who shot Representative Gabrielle Giffords in the head)

Vanity Fair -- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Has the Most Ferocious Lawyer in America Defending Him (article link)
    anon8380037 likes this.
    04-28-2015 05:23 PM
    That's lovely, his mom is a piece of garbage thief. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree it would seem.....
    Apparently, the Tsarnaev family applied for asylum, which is how they were able to live in the United States in the first place.

So now I'm wondering if our policy for granting asylum is just a loophole for terrorists to exploit.
    04-29-2015 01:28 AM
    Oh smeg.
    04-29-2015 07:06 PM
    In some cases when its so blatantly bloody obvious, I mean as there's 0 way it can be wrong, then waste the sucker. Anything short of that, yeah, then I fully admit its a issue.
    Well, the last time the federal government executed someone was in 2003, so it's been a while.

Right now Tsarnaev's lawyers are trying to say that his brother manipulated him to participate in the bombing.

NBC News -- Lawyers Try to Soften Tsarnaev's Image to Spare Him From Death (article link)
    anon8380037 likes this.
    04-30-2015 12:35 AM
    Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev gets death - CNN.com

The only problem I have is now for all his appeals, the victims are going to have to re-live their nightmare.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    05-15-2015 06:27 PM
    The only problem I have is now for all his appeals, the victims are going to have to re-live their nightmare.
    I've heard that the appeals process can last around 10 years or so.

By the way, Amnesty International put out a press release on the Tsarnaev case:

"We condemn the bombings that took place in Boston two years ago, and we mourn the loss of life and grave injuries they caused. The death penalty, however, is not justice. It will only compound the violence, and it will not deter others from committing similar crimes in the future.

It is outrageous that the federal government imposes this cruel and inhuman punishment, particularly when the people of Massachusetts have abolished it in their state. As death sentences decline worldwide, no government can claim to be a leader in human rights when it sentences its prisoners to death."

Steven W. Hawkins, Executive Director
    Amnesty International USA
    (press release - website link)
    anon8380037 likes this.
    05-16-2015 01:48 AM
    Tell that to anyone who lost family/loved ones/friends in Boston, Flight 93, or NYC on Sept. 11. Sometimes, you know, these guys wanna meet God? Let em.
    05-16-2015 03:25 AM
    I've heard that the appeals process can last around 10 years or so.

By the way, Amnesty International put out a press release on the Tsarnaev case:

"We condemn the bombings that took place in Boston two years ago, and we mourn the loss of life and grave injuries they caused. The death penalty, however, is not justice. It will only compound the violence, and it will not deter others from committing similar crimes in the future.

It is outrageous that the federal government imposes this cruel and inhuman punishment, particularly when the people of Massachusetts have abolished it in their state. As death sentences decline worldwide, no government can claim to be a leader in human rights when it sentences its prisoners to death."

Steven W. Hawkins, Executive Director
    Amnesty International USA
    (press release - website link)
    The only problem is I can't think of any other appropriate sentencing. He obviously has no regard for life, and a long term sentence locked away, I don't see how that's humane either.

The problem is that the person that's guilty of such cruel and inhumane acts, how does one punish them fit for their crime without being inhumane and cruel? I have no problem with doing unto him as he has done unto others.
    05-16-2015 12:03 PM
    If this crime and the guilty verdict occured in the UK, he would be out in 10 - 15 years tops - citing his age, gullibility, reformed nature according to ladder climbing psychologists and lawyers etc.

He had a brother but still showed no remorse in shredding a young boy with nails in a country that took him in and gave him a glimpse of a great life and future.
    I read some defense counsel said he expressed remorse privately, I don't know. Ultimately he has to face the knowledge that his brother was in the wrong, and now he has some years alone to try to stay in denial. They went in to this obviously with a pact that they would probably die, but did they envisage this outcome. Hopefully he will suffer mentally, if not physically.

I believe in the death penalty option for a few cases, but he either will not be executed or will live for another 15 to 20 years before that happens. (conjecture)
    US prisons are tough, but I guess he would be segregated for his 'safety".

So yes, it will be harder, longer for the victims and families. Was it the right punishment - maybe a level had to be set. My hats off though to Bostonians in the press who don't want him executed on humanitarian principles.

Executions are cruel, but equally on the people associated with the criminal professionally over a period, and those who carry it out.
    More often the actual crime is more cruel.
    05-16-2015 02:24 PM
    Was it the right punishment - maybe a level had to be set.
    The United States is constantly evaluating capital punishment.

For example, given that Tsarnaev committed the crime in Boston, he would ordinarily be tried under Massachusetts law, which only allows life imprisonment without parole as the maximum penalty.

However, since Tsarnaev employed a weapon of mass destruction, the charges were elevated to the federal level, which allows death by lethal injection.

Still, that's not the end of the story. Tsarnaev can appeal the ruling. The Supreme Court is always hearing cases on whether lethal injection itself is cruel and unusual punishment, which would violate the Constitution.

Furthermore, most of the drugs used for lethal injections come from Europe, which bans capital punishment. Europe does not want to give the drugs to the US if they will be used for an execution.

So, we may be spending a lot of money merely to lock up Tsarnaev for life. It is not unusual for inmates on death row to grow old and die of things like cancer because there was a huge delay in the process.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    05-18-2015 10:48 PM
    Yes, I was aware. The recent cases of lethal injection going horribly wrong won't help.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    05-19-2015 04:45 AM
    Yes, I was aware. The recent cases of lethal injection going horribly wrong won't help.
    The irony is that the worst case scenario for most drugs is death. The best case scenario for the lethal injection drug is....
    anon8380037 likes this.
    05-20-2015 05:46 PM
32 12