03-14-2018 06:48 PM
217 1234 ...
tools
    I don't think I'm familiar with the term, but what is a physical issue?
    I thought it was a common term, but some searching around proved that to be false. I am not sure where I even picked it up at this point.

As I intended:
    Basically any tangible, easily measurable metric. Mostly to do with money. Examples would be taxes, budgeting, national defense, and general economic policies.

More social centric issues would be civil rights, abortion, etc.

Issues like immigration would be in both categories depending on what specific aspect you were talking about.

Sent from my XT1096
    04-16-2015 10:54 AM
    I thought it was a common term, but some searching around proved that to be false. I am not sure where I even picked it up at this point.
    Same sound, different spelling. You also had the definition right. The term is fiscal.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Scott7217 and NoYankees44 like this.
    04-16-2015 11:27 AM

As I intended:
    Basically any tangible, easily measurable metric. Mostly to do with money. Examples would be taxes, budgeting, national defense, and general economic policies.

More social centric issues would be civil rights, abortion, etc.

Issues like immigration would be in both categories depending on what specific aspect you were talking about.

Sent from my XT1096
    If what Matthew said is correct, fiscal, then I have to be honest, neither party is about fiscal policies. Sure the right claims to be fiscally responsible, but you look at all the wars they're for, and the fact that they don't want to cut defense spending, then what exactly is left? Cutting social security and letting corporations privatize it? As well as cuts to Medicare? To me that's just giving money to our corporate masters. While the democrats aren't much better when it comes to fiscal responsibility, I don't like the idea of our corporate masters having more control of our retirement or healthcare. Neither party has the answer it would seem.
    04-16-2015 07:58 PM
    I agree with you on this one that both parties have fiscal problems, only with some minor differences.
    Cutting social security and letting corporations privatize it?
    The private retirement plans have outperformed the ponzy scheme that is social security (plus you get to will it to your spouse/kids when you die). If I could opt out of SS contributions, I'd do it in a heartbeat and roll it all right into better investments. Unfortunately, only priests can conscientiously object to it and be exempt.

...I don't like the idea of our corporate masters having more control of our retirement or healthcare. Neither party has the answer it would seem.
    Other than any money a company may contribute to a retirement plan on your behalf, you have every right to shop around for retirement plans that suit you. If you don't like it, you can find other companies and other investment options. If it were government ran, you're forced into their limited options. And that's not even getting into the debate on whether or not that's even a legitimate function of government in the first place. Your health care was in your control too. Now you're forced to buy something even if it isn't the best fit for you. I do like the idea of opening the market to letting insurers sell across state lines, though.
    04-16-2015 08:15 PM
    I agree with you on this one that both parties have fiscal problems, only with some minor differences.

The private retirement plans have outperformed the ponzy scheme that is social security (plus you get to will it to your spouse/kids when you die). If I could opt out of SS contributions, I'd do it in a heartbeat and roll it all right into better investments. Unfortunately, only priests can conscientiously object to it and be exempt.

Other than any money a company may contribute to a retirement plan on your behalf, you have every right to shop around for retirement plans that suit you. If you don't like it, you can find other companies and other investment options. If it were government ran, you're forced into their limited options. And that's not even getting into the debate on whether or not that's even a legitimate function of government in the first place. Your health care was in your control too. Now you're forced to buy something even if it isn't the best fit for you. I do like the idea of opening the market to letting insurers sell across state lines, though.
    Social Security was solvent before congress got their greedy hands on it. If EVERYONE puts money into it, even the rich people that won't need SS when they "retire" (I use that word loosely because many of them live a life of leisure while most of us are still working for a living), it can sustain itself. It's our "leaders" that decided to raid it for their own greedy pet projects.
    04-16-2015 09:48 PM
    I saw a couple of interviews with Rand Paul's wife recently. Clearly his campaign is trying to do damage control after a couple of disastrous interviews with female reporters. I was quite impressed with her. She's sharp.

Not buying the part where her husband would have shushed a male reporter too though. He was being sexist. But overall what I see makes me think she would be a good fit for the White House. Too bad I can't say the same about her husband!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/14/politi...6-turtlenecks/

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2...ction-2016.cnn
    04-17-2015 02:07 AM
    I have to admit, it seems like the media is all about Hillary. Granted, her winning the office is probably a bigger story, "First Female President" sounds better than any other candidate winning (unless Elizabeth Warren wins). I'm still not 100% behind her, but I think she's better than most anything the right could field. Chris Christie or Jeb Bush are probably close, with Rand Paul being a long shot, and Ted Cruz being an extreme long shot (thank god).
    04-17-2015 04:53 AM
    I have to admit, it seems like the media is all about Hillary. Granted, her winning the office is probably a bigger story, "First Female President" sounds better than any other candidate winning (unless Elizabeth Warren wins). I'm still not 100% behind her, but I think she's better than most anything the right could field. Chris Christie or Jeb Bush are probably close, with Rand Paul being a long shot, and Ted Cruz being an extreme long shot (thank god).
    The feeding frenzy part, yeah. But overall I think the networks are fairly trying to cover everyone. CNN for instance has mentioned Hillary a lot, but since her announcement has also had the interviews I mentioned in the previous post regarding Paul, extensive talk about Chris Christie, talk about Jeb Bush, interviews with three potential challengers on the Democratic side, an extensive interview with Rubio. Really, I don't know how much more they could do. The only ones left out are Walker and Cruz who I think are laying low right now. But they have done interviews with them in the past.

NBC & MSNBC have had long interviews with Chris Christie and Carly Fiorina in the past few days, as well as other Democratic challengers too so really I think everyone has been trying to give coverage fairly and I am really happy to see that.

Hillary will always get attention not so much because she is a woman, but because she is so well known and is the only first lady to run for the big job and not just sit on the sidelines.
    04-17-2015 02:26 PM
    Jeb Bush has broken away from the rest of the Republican field on the stalled AG confirmation and said that a president has the right to have his nominees voted upon.

At least there's one adult in the room. He's right. And it's things like this that set him apart and might win him the party nomination. His main problem is the family name. But if people can get past that I think he has a real shot.
    04-17-2015 03:09 PM
    Jeb Bush has broken away from the rest of the Republican field on the stalled AG confirmation and said that a president has the right to have his nominees voted upon.

At least there's one adult in the room. He's right. And it's things like this that set him apart and might win him the party nomination. His main problem is the family name. But if people can get past that I think he has a real shot.
    I still think the right wing strategy is to field a bunch of right wing whackos, which artificially shifts the center, then bring in a candidate that's just barely to the left of the right wing whackos and this will give the independent voter the impression that he's voting for a central candidate. The left wing should try the same strategy. Unfortunately, they're the party of incompetence and disorganization.
    04-17-2015 05:17 PM
    Apparently the Bunny Ranch officially endorses Hillary now and has a rather amusing catch phrase that I won't repeat here in case it would violate the forum rules. If this is a sign of things to come, it's certainly going to be an interesting race.
    04-17-2015 06:05 PM
    Apparently the Bunny Ranch officially endorses Hillary now and has a rather amusing catch phrase that I won't repeat here in case it would violate the forum rules. If this is a sign of things to come, it's certainly going to be an interesting race.
    With 20 officially and unofficially hopefuls, I think it's already an interesting race!

And speaking of one of those unofficial....

Fiorina in an attack on Clinton says she has flown around the world in planes too, but that flying in planes was not an accomplishment.

Well, what accomplishments does Fiorina bring to the table besides being hated at a company she ran into the ground and a failed senate campaign? At least Hillary actually won her seat. Something Fiorina couldn't do. So rather than work her way up, she wants to start at the top job? I don't think so. The woman is shrill, petty and incompetent.
    04-18-2015 04:02 PM
    So supposedly Carly Fiorina and Ben Carson will pile on in the clown car.....er I mean race on May the 4th with Huckabee right behind.

This is getting fun! What is it about republicans where they all think they are qualified? What does someone like Fiorina bring to the table besides snark? The governors can make the claim they ran a state. The senators can at least say they tried and were involved in foreign policy. But what does someone like Carson or Fiorina know about running a military and fighting wars?

I'd feel differently if either of them had spent some time holding a public office first, but this strikes me as trying to walk into a company off the street and land a CEO job without having ever worked anywhere else before. I think you need to earn those stripes first. Not go straight to the top.

Fiorina recently criticized Clinton's accomplishments. But Clinton was able to win her Senate campaign. Something Fiorina couldn't manage to do.
    04-23-2015 05:06 PM
    Their slogan can be "Uncorrupted by years of experience."
    04-23-2015 05:08 PM
    So Hillary is now officially in.
    Hillary Clinton will probably win the next election. She would be making history as the first woman as US president. I can see a lot of voters turning out just to make that happen.

Given that she voted in favor of the Iraq War Resolution, we already know that she is tough on terror.
    04-23-2015 05:22 PM
    I'm curious just how much the thought of having another Clinton or Bush in the Whitehouse will affect the elections. I know it makes me pause at the thought of the office becoming something of a dynasty seat, regardless of what I think of the candidates views.
    04-23-2015 05:46 PM
    Hillary Clinton will probably win the next election. She would be making history as the first woman as US president. I can see a lot of voters turning out just to make that happen.

Given that she voted in favor of the Iraq War Resolution, we already know that she is tough on terror.
    Umm Iraq >< 9/11..... Or are you talking about "terror" in general? In which case, the U.S. has been responsible for some terror of its own. I'm not a big fan of Hillary btw, so I'm perfectly fine with her being grilled on stuff that's of ACTUAL consequence, like why she thought invading Iraq was a good idea considering the new threat there now, as opposed to the ridiculous questions that the right wing feels are relevant, like "why are you covering up about your personal email server and Benghazi?"
    04-23-2015 07:11 PM
    Umm Iraq >< 9/11..... Or are you talking about "terror" in general? In which case, the U.S. has been responsible for some terror of its own. I'm not a big fan of Hillary btw, so I'm perfectly fine with her being grilled on stuff that's of ACTUAL consequence, like why she thought invading Iraq was a good idea considering the new threat there now, as opposed to the ridiculous questions that the right wing feels are relevant, like "why are you covering up about your personal email server and Benghazi?"
    She answered for the Iraq vote long ago. I don't know why that needs to be gone over again. Bengazi and the emails along with the new foundation money donation are all legitimate questions of judgment to be asking in addition to what her foreign and domestic policies would be.
    04-25-2015 01:28 PM

She has a huge uphill climb ahead of her to win..

-Very hard for a party to win a 3rd term in the WH unless the incumber is extremely popular. It's. rare.

-She will go through THE most brutal campaign there has been in ... most of us here probably haven't seen anything like what is going to happen. Someone told me "just like obama", phhhht, not even close. Whatever the Republican's beef with the Clintons is, is has been going on for decades and this is their last chance, and they will stop at absolutely nothing. swiftboat from now until the end.

-That plus, while the media was very much in favor of Obama and media is no fan of the Clintons, NYT has just about declared war on her, not sure i get why but...

(here's a blog on it...New York Times Narrative)

-Citizens United decision in effect, the amount of money that the conservatives can raise is going to be nothing short of amazing. Kochs alone are putting in 900million and they are doing something that's never been done in a presidential election, they're running their own ground game that rivals that of an entire party. The Koch effect in 2012 (as well as low voter turnout) helped pave way for 2 important states just having put through voter disfranchisement laws in OH and NV.

-Jeb Bush has also done something very smart. He's offloading some of his campaign to his superPAC. How can he do that? Because no one seems to be calling him out on clearly having a campaign but not announcing. (hillary would have been eviscerated for it, jmo)

The odds are very much against her winning. Imo, she has one shot, and one shot only, and that is that women come out in record numbers. If they do, she can *maybe*, maybe win. The bump will have to be something like 5 points above 2008/2012 GE, which would be something like 68%? But don't think women automatically will. If the conservatives beat her down enough women might just feel deflated and/or just not feel excited.

She also has a saving grace in that unless all goes wrong and she gets slaughtered, the Clinton's very dear friend, Terry McAuliffe, Gov. of VA, and her campaign manager who helped win Terry the election in VA 2 years ago, Robby Mook, have ground game in VA. She also got very lucky that Terry won because he's just about to veto voter disenfranchisement laws that just passed in the VA legislature. If she wins VA *and* NV (Robby Mook won HRC NV in the primaries in 08) she can win the entire election without OH, FL *or* IA. And if the election goes the way I think it's going to go based on all the things she has going against her, she has no chance in FL, OH or IA (seriously, none)

I'm actually scared of what the next 18 months will bring. Already that ridiculous charge re: the uranium deal for example, NYT is happy to make it look like she's done something wrong. It got so bad that Jack Krugman wrote a piece telling the NYT watch being unprofessional, and the public editor of the NYT spoke out and said something about what the NYT did was fishy. Take that multiply it by 20, not going to be a pretty season.

Anyway, that's my long-winded piece. I hope women push back against some of the bs that's coming. I'm not sure that they will, but I hope they do.
    04-26-2015 03:55 PM
    That's not true. While it won't be a cakewalk she'll have plenty more than just women willing to vote for her. Hispanics, blacks, gays, asians and progressive white men aren't going to be voting republican. Neither will most young people.

The electoral map now favors Democrats. It's Republicans who have the greater hill to climb in any Presidential election. While there are bound to be plenty of scandals and mud slinging, you cannot neglect the damage Republicans will do to themselves during the debates. Talk of deporting people, cutting social security, repealing healthcare, attacking gays...these things don't fly with most voters.
    04-27-2015 07:58 PM
    Deporting people isn't gonna be an issue, Jeb Bush is going to be the R nom, he's for drivers licenses for non-documented people, etc.

And don't underestimate what the media can and will do for a candidate. NYT has been blowing Bush kisses for weeks, everyone will follow their lead. Cute little articles about how his diet is going, seems like a nice guy, surely a good guy would *never* take away someone's healthcare. Have you noticed no one has asked him what he thinks of the medicare fight in Florida? He gets to wait til it's decided to make a statement. Expect a campaign just like that. This up in the news: Hillary...EMAILZOMG. Jeb Bush: aww, he really loves his wife. Good guy, aww. Everything stupid Clinton says will be played 20x day a la dean scream. Jeb's coverage will be very different.

And for example, she needs the Latino/a vote in NV to win, but they're cutting the voting hours and requiring more ID this year, which hurts dem voters more than pubs. Obama won that state by 4 points in '12, but only because Romney got the worst Latino vote of any R in maybe decades, Jeb Bush on the other hand, majored in Latin studies, has a Latina wife, matches Clinton on immigration. That makes a big difference. And H. Clinton is going to get slaughtered by the media, absolutely annihilated. Trust me on that.

I really hate how much influence they have an how there are pretty much no trustworthy outlets anymore. USA today is the least offensive. lol. And how the heck does someone like Chuck Todd have a job on MTP. what the...

Check this out from the nyt reporter who wrote original NYT email story, (a story which ended up being totally false that they had to backtrack on around March 10th)...

That's the the NYT writer on Twitter insinuating wrong doing after his email story fell apart. That Benghazi hearing that's about to happen next month, that's courtesy of the NYT, Gowdy knew about her emails 6 months before the story "broke", it wasn't until the story that he got to ride the wave. And Gowdy himself said the reason this is going on is because of the NYT report. Granted, local papers aren't playing the game, but she actually has to do the 2 hearings now, so they have a lot more influence than just people who read their paper.

Ya know what's interesting about that statement in Twitter, he knows the rules for archiving emails is the sender chooses what is record and they can then delete the rest. But he's not printed that. Instead he started pushing the above. They're already steno-graphing hit pieces and anti-hillary superpac statements, this is the worst i've seen.
    04-27-2015 10:37 PM
    Here's the problem with your Jeb Bush theory.

1) The name. People are reluctant to give a third Bush the White House. That cannot be overlooked or understated. I know she has since recanted it, but even his own mother said there had been enough bushes in the White House and to let somebody else run. A great many people share that sentiment.

2. History. He's using many of the same advisers his brother did. America will look and say no thanks. Don't need a third term of W with how our economy and foreign policy looked then. Again..SAME PEOPLE. That's a huge red flag.

3. The Romney effect. Many conservatives are complaining about electing a moderate and losing. Or ending up with a W. Will it be enough to change course? It just might be. People will only keep trying the same losing strategy for so long. Keep your eye on Scott Walker.

4. Demographics. Again the electoral map is already skewed towards Democrats. I don't care if Jeb is married to a Hispanic, huge numbers will still vote for liberals and the conservative Hispanic vote will be split three ways between Bush, Rubio and Cruz.

5. The whiplash effect. All Republicans have the problem of pandering to the religious right. All the things they have to say to win a primary, causes them to lose a general. Their purity test causes them to fail. Jeb is not excluded from this problem. Go too middle, he may lose the primary. Go too extreme and he loses the general.

6. Which leads to another problem...party politics. You KNOW crazy stuff is going to be said up on those debate stages. It drags the whole party down. (See legitimate rape guy. See Michele Bachmann. See Herman Becky Stan Stan Cain. See Ben Carson, etc.)

7. Aging problem. Not to be crass, but GOP voters are literally dying off. And they just aren't being replaced by enough young people in the numbers needed. You cannot be anti gay and win a lot of young people's vote. You just can't. They've lost a generation over this issue. And Jeb has said some horrible things on this issue that will all get dredged up again.
    04-28-2015 12:07 AM
    I'm curious just how much the thought of having another Clinton or Bush in the Whitehouse will affect the elections. I know it makes me pause at the thought of the office becoming something of a dynasty seat, regardless of what I think of the candidates views.
    People might be more receptive of another Clinton or Bush as president because of the name-recognition. Sometimes it's better to see a familiar face.
    04-28-2015 06:06 PM
    Re: Bush, nope. So far in polls, even though of course they don't mean much head to head, Bush does just as well in the general match ups against hrc, actually he does better than other R's. Not sure if he can push above the 50 mark, but pretty sure he can, because he's going to be sold, already 45% of voters have no issue with his being a Bush, and another 10% don't know enough about him, but the media is already selling him, half of that 10% could go his way for sure.

2. Running with W. advisors, yeah, not helpful.

3. Romney wasn't a great candidate, he was just a bit awkward (although i personally like awkward) and it was easy to make him out to be nothing more than a rich flip flopper, which he kinda was. But again, it's hard to unseat a sitting president.

4. The hispanic vote usually often 30/35+% republican, Romney just happened to do worse with Latinos than any republican has in long time, 27%, that's because he took a crazy hard-line immigration thing. So you can expect Bush to do very well the latino vote, Bush W had over 40%, Jeb will do that or a couple points over/under. In NV for example, 15% of voters are latino, move the split 35% for Bush vs. Romney @27, that's a lot. Granted, Latinos like Hillary quite a bit, but she's still has a tough climb in that state, NV already tends to switch parties.

5, yeah, i wonder how he wins this primary, other than the massive amount of money he has, but then again, the rest of the R's are so odd, i think he has a built in advantage. I laugh when i see the NYT selling Rubio, not gonna happen.

7. Young people aren't going to vote for Jeb anyway, unless they're already consevative, in which case they're fine with the weird social stuff. But won't matter anyway because same-sex marriage will have been decided.

and again, the media is going to scandalize everything hillary does, and people buy that.
    04-28-2015 07:04 PM
    Re: Bush, nope. So far in polls, even though of course they don't mean much head to head, Bush does just as well in the general match ups against hrc, actually he does better than other R's. Not sure if he can push above the 50 mark, but pretty sure he can, because he's going to be sold, already 45% of voters have no issue with his being a Bush, and another 10% don't know enough about him, but the media is already selling him, half of that 10% could go his way for sure.

2. Running with W. advisors, yeah, not helpful.

3. Romney wasn't a great candidate, he was just a bit awkward (although i personally like awkward) and it was easy to make him out to be nothing more than a rich flip flopper, which he kinda was. But again, it's hard to unseat a sitting president.

4. The hispanic vote usually often 30/35+% republican, Romney just happened to do worse with Latinos than any republican has in long time, 27%, that's because he took a crazy hard-line immigration thing. So you can expect Bush to do very well the latino vote, Bush W had over 40%, Jeb will do that or a couple points over/under. In NV for example, 15% of voters are latino, move the split 35% for Bush vs. Romney @27, that's a lot. Granted, Latinos like Hillary quite a bit, but she's still has a tough climb in that state, NV already tends to switch parties.

5, yeah, i wonder how he wins this primary, other than the massive amount of money he has, but then again, the rest of the R's are so odd, i think he has a built in advantage. I laugh when i see the NYT selling Rubio, not gonna happen.

7. Young people aren't going to vote for Jeb anyway, unless they're already consevative, in which case they're fine with the weird social stuff. But won't matter anyway because same-sex marriage will have been decided.

and again, the media is going to scandalize everything hillary does, and people buy that.
    But it DOES matter as these candidates will still say they are against SSM. They will probably even float work arounds. The abortion issue was decided long ago but the GOP is still trying to work around that and turning off some voters in the process. I don't know why you think SCOTUS deciding this issue is any different. Young people will still stay away in droves. It will be decades before younger, yet unborn children grow up not knowing these positions before the GOP will make headway with a younger generation. But they've blown it with this one and that translates into lost elections.

Also as I made mention earlier, the Hispanic vote is fine for the general, though that's still not even half. But the real problem is the primary which you didn't address. Cruz Rubio and Bush will split the Hispanic vote three ways at least. How does that help Bush?
    04-28-2015 08:30 PM
217 1234 ...