03-14-2018 06:48 PM
217 123 ...
tools
    With two confirmed Republicans officially in the race and Hillary expected as soon as tomorrow, I thought now would be a good time to dedicate a thread to all of the ins and outs bound to be a part of the next election cycle, which I guess has now started. Yay us...lol.

Now, this topic has the potential to really derail off topic, so I ask you to please stay focused on the latest news regarding the candidates and not turn this into a debate on the merits of healthcare, an oil pipeline, gun control or any other topic that have threads in this forum already or that you might want to bring up. This is strictly about the candidates, their chances, their gaffes and their debates. Thank you!

Posted via Android Central App
    04-11-2015 09:15 PM
    So Hillary is now officially in. Very interesting way of announcing. I was only half listening to the TV and thought an ad for some financial planning was on with all the stories of what people were going to do in the future. And all of a sudden out of nowhere came this I'm running for President line. What what what? Where did that come from? Kind of funny.

Now the test will come...can she make herself relatable to all those types of people she showed in her video?

And tomorrow, can Marco Rubio present himself as an adult and serious and professional candidate? Better hide any glasses of water sitting around!

A895 likes this.
    04-12-2015 05:11 PM
    Great video. Very unexpected. I have to say, she often surprises me. Disclaimer, all in.

I thought it was smart. Very hard to criticize. media couldn't talk about her disparagingly. No one could really attack what she was saying because it's what she'll be running on but through the mouths of those who she would be championing for. Media detests her and i notice it's been hours and they still are having trouble coming up with a way of tearing it down. Had she made a public announcement they could rattle off the stuff they usually do, what is she wearing, what does she sound like, emails, this that, but this announcement made it not only difficult, but in order to talk about the announcement you have to mention, families, people of color, white people, gay people, single parents, etc. and then how do you tear that down. Score 1 for hil. Smart. Even the comments by potential challengers came off weak b/c they had nothing to do with was addressed in the video, so they sounded quite random. Her team this time around seems much smarter.
    A895 likes this.
    04-12-2015 07:07 PM
    I agree. Jeb Bush tried to insert himself into it and Carley Fiorina responded with her own video that was just sad and desperate. (What's with all the camera movement?)

http://m.weeklystandard.com/blogs/ca...se_917377.html

04-12-2015 09:38 PM
    I agree. Jeb Bush tried to insert himself into it and Carley Fiorina responded with her own video that was just sad and desperate. (What's with all the camera movement?)

http://m.weeklystandard.com/blogs/ca...se_917377.html

How can she blame current problems on Hillary? She isn't and has not been secretary of state for a while. And besides the email thing (which is kind of bad privacy wise, but I don't find it as bad as the TV pundits) I can't find anything to really make Hillary a bad person.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-13-2015 05:51 AM
    I thought it was smart. Very hard to criticize. media couldn't talk about her disparagingly...

...but this announcement made it not only difficult, but in order to talk about the announcement you have to mention, families, people of color, white people, gay people, single parents, etc. and then how do you tear that down. Score 1 for hil. Smart.
    You're right, this announcement was smart, but only in that it didn't really say anything other than "I'm running." The lead up to her at the end was so generic that it didn't amount too much more than filler and fluff. Once she actually starts addressing various issues, you'll see the usual debates and rebuttals, so it's more or less just delaying the inevitable.

How can she blame current problems on Hillary? She isn't and has not been secretary of state for a while.
    Easy, the same way the Left loves to blame Bush for problems that happened during the Obama administration.

I didn't get a chance to listen to the entire Rand Paul announcement, but I liked what I heard from some of the sound bites in the stories after the fact, so I'm going to look into him more. I know he supports the Fair Tax and mentioned wanting a balanced budget amendment, which I can get behind 100%. I actually doubt he'll get the Republican nomination because he's more Libertarian than the base would likely want. Since most states don't have open primaries (not saying I want them either), it'll depend on how many Libertarians are actually registered as Republicans and if any others throw their hat into the ring.
    04-13-2015 07:42 AM
    One thing I don't really care about what people are saying is that she needs to run from Obama. In 2008, that was an obvious narrative (ANYONE and EVERYONE in the GOP distanced themselves from GWB, with good reason). I think the GOP spin-doctors are trying to make Obama's Presidency seem like a train wreck on top of a plane crash on top of a nuclear disaster on top of a Kardashian reality show. I found the graphic below, I don't exactly see what she needs to run away from, except for maybe the corporate profit, the food stamp recipients, and the stagnant middle class wages. The best thing she can do is to remind the country of the 8 years under GWB and how we can't go back to GOP policies that ran our economy into the toilet via "flush down" economics.

2016 Off to the Races-obamasnumbers-2014-q4-revised.jpg
    A895 likes this.
    04-13-2015 11:23 AM
    You're right, this announcement was smart, but only in that it didn't really say anything other than "I'm running." The lead up to her at the end was so generic that it didn't amount too much more than filler and fluff. Once she actually starts addressing various issues, you'll see the usual debates and rebuttals, so it's more or less just delaying the inevitable.

Easy, the same way the Left loves to blame Bush for problems that happened during the Obama administration.

I didn't get a chance to listen to the entire Rand Paul announcement, but I liked what I heard from some of the sound bites in the stories after the fact, so I'm going to look into him more. I know he supports the Fair Tax and mentioned wanting a balanced budget amendment, which I can get behind 100%. I actually doubt he'll get the Republican nomination because he's more Libertarian than the base would likely want. Since most states don't have open primaries (not saying I want them either), it'll depend on how many Libertarians are actually registered as Republicans and if any others throw their hat into the ring.
    You can't equate a presidency like Bush to being secretary of state. And Rand Paul won't get far. He is too liberal for most Republicans, and too conservative for most democrats.

04-13-2015 01:14 PM
    You can't equate a presidency like Bush to being secretary of state. And Rand Paul won't get far. He is too liberal for most Republicans, and too conservative for most democrats.

He's definitely a chameleon. I think within the following weeks of his appearance (below), Bill Maher had something negative to say about one of his sound bites.

04-13-2015 02:58 PM

Such as? I am not sure I have ever seen that. Maybe Fast and Furious. That is the only thing coming to mind. What other things?

I think Hillary should stand proud on the Obama administration record. First, people reelected Obama. They didn't go for the guy with the Republican policies. So don't run away from Democratic ones. And secondly, the midterms show what happens when you run away from them and the sitting president.

The right has good reason to want to run away from the failed policies of their last President, but the left does not.

A895 and msndrstood like this.
    04-13-2015 03:34 PM
    Mario's Rubio frantically waves hand and says me too..me too.

Now if only he could have announced with this song playing in the background:

Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me):

04-13-2015 05:14 PM
    Such as? I am not sure I have ever seen that. Maybe Fast and Furious. That is the only thing coming to mind. What other things?

I think Hillary should stand proud on the Obama administration record. First, people reelected Obama. They didn't go for the guy with the Republican policies. So don't run away from Democratic ones. And secondly, the midterms show what happens when you run away from them and the sitting president.

The right has good reason to want to run away from the failed policies of their last President, but the left does not.

The right wing really doesn't have much, maybe the fact that foodstamp usage is up (maybe more people have decided that they're tired of working like dogs and not at least getting the benefit of healthy food, even though food stamps is really a farm subsidy since most food stamp programs tell you that you have to buy certain types of foods), or maybe corporate profits are up despite stagnant wages.

Oh wait, I'm sure the right wing will blame the cops vs black unarmed men on Obama. Somehow it's his reason for the backlash since he said that Treyvon Martin is what his son would've possibly looked like. I guess maybe he should've turned a blind eye like a "good" Christian would.

So much for trying to keep it on topic, even though I don't think such a topic is possible without discussing what each candidate/party stands for. But to try to keep things back on topic, I would absolutely LOVE to see Elizabeth Warren as the first female President. I can only imagine how the banking industry would react to her announcement. Supporters would probably have their bank accounts flagged.....
    A895 likes this.
    04-13-2015 05:28 PM
    For the longest time, it seemed like any criticism of Obama was met with "it's Bush's fault." I was hearing it well into Obama's second term, always some excuse about how everything stemmed from something Bush caused even though Obama had ample time to at least get a change started. But to be honest, that was a very short sighted view of the left. Not only could some problems be linked back to Clinton, but other earlier administrations as well. But the argument was still always it's somehow Bush's fault.
    04-13-2015 06:09 PM
    For the longest time, it seemed like any criticism of Obama was met with "it's Bush's fault." I was hearing it well into Obama's second term, always some excuse about how everything stemmed from something Bush caused even though Obama had ample time to at least get a change started. But to be honest, that was a very short sighted view of the left. Not only could some problems be linked back to Clinton, but other earlier administrations as well. But the argument was still always it's somehow Bush's fault.
    Ah, the economy? Well when you are the one at the helm and it tanks under your watch, expect to be blamed for it!

You don't think that if the economy tanked now and a Republican president inherited that in Jan 2017, Republicans would in be blaming Obama? I think they would.

A895 likes this.
    04-13-2015 07:31 PM
    So, does anyone see a contradiction with Rubio talking about Hillary and the policies of the past, while wanting to maintain the past Cuba embargo policies himself?

04-13-2015 07:34 PM
    I think it would take at least 4 terms (yes 16 years) to fix what Bush wrecked. I will say that Clinton did push some policies that didn't help Bush's cause. The biggest one is trying to get everyone that was an able bodied working American a home, (followed closely by NAFTA). That's a nice thought, but considering that the banks were betting AGAINST home owners not being able to pay their mortgages and had the power to make that happen, it still puzzles me why no one has served any jail time for the meltdown of 2008 (no body of significant consequence). As far as NAFTA is concerned, I think that was maybe a reaction to the European markets unifying towards the Euro. Considering the rest of the world was unionizing to improve their financial situation, I can see why some would think we'd need something similar here, and lets face it some companies really are profiting by moving some operations to Mexico, even though then we get super-bugs like the swine flu because in Mexico it's ok for large U.S. pork manufacturers to stick their pigs with antibiotic needles like a jealous GF on her ex-boyfriend Voodoo doll.

Other than that, when Clinton was in office, I had a choice of what job I wanted, I had pretty decent pay, I had more control over my working environment with jobs bending over backwards to get me in the door. With Bush in office, I had to take lesser paying jobs that were below my skill set, jobs where the employer could fire you because he didn't like the color of your tie. The jobs were scarce. Now in Obama's 2nd term, I am seeing more choice in where I want to work, and am actually starting to make decent money, no where near what I made before Bush took office, but more than at any time during Bush's administration.

As far as I'm concerned, if I were a NON-POLITICAL Christian, I'd believe that the Apocalypse did happen, in 2001, and we're in a post-apocalyptic America.
    04-13-2015 07:56 PM
    So, does anyone see a contradiction with Rubio talking about Hillary and the policies of the past, while wanting to maintain the past Cuba embargo policies himself?

I see no possible reason to keep the Cuba embargoes up. Times a changing, maybe one day they can be a close ally or territory. I'm still waiting on Puerto Rico to become a state.

msndrstood likes this.
    04-13-2015 08:13 PM
    Well things like this didn't take long either.
    Attached Thumbnails 2016 Off to the Races-1428977593051.jpg  
    04-13-2015 09:13 PM
    Speaking of merchandize, wouldn't want to leave Rand Paul out of the discussion....

Thought this was pretty funny considering his flip flopping history:

http://www.hapblog.com/2015/04/rand-...-from.html?m=1

Although truth be told, no politician should be selling flip flops in the first place, for obvious reasons. Really was dumb on their part.

04-13-2015 11:17 PM
    That it just extremely poor taste.

04-14-2015 08:38 AM
    Just be glad I didn't post another one I saw featuring Monica. I usually don't go for political humor anyway. It's nearly impossible to make it funny without twisting the facts or ignoring other parts of the story, so it's just not funny in the end to me.
    04-14-2015 10:43 AM
    Honestly, Hilary's announcement was just what she needs right now. She needs to be vague and generalize as much as possible. If she wants the nomination, the entire Democratic party needs to unite almost unanimously behind her. Very rarely is it a good thing to be the front runner in the beginning of a primary. Anyone else that is ambitious has already been working in the background against her and has a plan to destroy her. Plus you of course already have the Republican destruction machines working full tilt against her.

If her last name was not Clinton, I would say she has no chance. But she is married to one of the slipperiest politicians in recent history and has teeth of her own. If she can squash any early competition and unite the party, she will get the nomination and very likely the Whitehouse. If the Democrats are divided, I cannot see her getting out of the primaries. She is the one to beat, so everyone will be making sure she is beaten.

The Republicans just need to unite behind someone early and not destroy each other in their own primaries. They also need to flat avoid social issues and focus on physical issues. The majority of the voting public is middle aged and probably cares more about their wallet than anything else. That is the voting block the Republicans will have to dominate if they are to have a chance.

Sent from my XT1096
    04-15-2015 09:05 AM
    Honestly, Hilary's announcement was just what she needs right now. She needs to be vague and generalize as much as possible. If she wants the nomination, the entire Democratic party needs to unite almost unanimously behind her. Very rarely is it a good thing to be the front runner in the beginning of a primary. Anyone else that is ambitious has already been working in the background against her and has a plan to destroy her. Plus you of course already have the Republican destruction machines working full tilt against her.

If her last name was not Clinton, I would say she has no chance. But she is married to one of the slipperiest politicians in recent history and has teeth of her own. If she can squash any early competition and unite the party, she will get the nomination and very likely the Whitehouse. If the Democrats are divided, I cannot see her getting out of the primaries. She is the one to beat, so everyone will be making sure she is beaten.

The Republicans just need to unite behind someone early and not destroy each other in their own primaries. They also need to flat avoid social issues and focus on physical issues. The majority of the voting public is middle aged and probably cares more about their wallet than anything else. That is the voting block the Republicans will have to dominate if they are to have a chance.

Sent from my XT1096
    With the likes of Ted Cruz and Rand Paul in the race, not to mention maybe Chris Christie, what you have outlined for the republicans is impossible. They just can't help but be divisive and mention social issues. Negativity seems to be in their DNA. They tear down while Hillary will be building up.

A895 likes this.
    04-15-2015 12:03 PM

Sent from my XT1096
    I don't think I'm familiar with the term, but what is a physical issue?
    04-15-2015 08:35 PM
    Today's news consisted of flip flops:

Hillary Clinton, who once said the issue of same gender marriages should be left up to the states, now says she hopes the Supreme Court will weigh in and decide things.

Marco Rubio who has always been against marriage equality, now says that he would in fact attend a same gender marriage of someone he cared about.

Chris Christie flipped on the issue of vaccinations and now thinks everyone should be required to have them. Only a few months ago, he was saying that they should be optional.

In other news, Martin O'Malley released an attack ad on Clinton over the gay marriage issue, indicating that there just might be a democratic challenger after all. Interesting.
    A895 likes this.
    04-16-2015 12:54 AM
217 123 ...