04-04-2016 07:44 AM
126 1234 ...
tools
    Baltimore is so far the only case in the news that looks like the police stepped over the line and they are being charged. But in it and all the other cases, the rioting and protests started before the investigation could be finished. They aren't going to issue a snap judgement on the officers just because the public demands it. Or perhaps you think ALL prosecutions should be made on snap judgements to appease the masses? I'm sure if you were being investigated, you'd want law enforcement to do their due diligence to make sure you're not wrongfully accused.

There's plenty of successful people that have rose out of poverty, got their education, and moved on. By your logic, that shouldn't ever happen. I'm sorry, but those outside forces aren't somehow lighting that match or throwing rocks through windows for you. Unless someone had a gun to your head forcing you to do something or you have a true metal illness, everyone is responsible for their own decisions. If anything, it's on the parents to teach their kids that violence isn't the answer to your problems.
    05-03-2015 10:13 AM
    Baltimore is so far the only case in the news that looks like the police stepped over the line and they are being charged. But in it and all the other cases, the rioting and protests started before the investigation could be finished. They aren't going to issue a snap judgement on the officers just because the public demands it. Or perhaps you think ALL prosecutions should be made on snap judgements to appease the masses? I'm sure if you were being investigated, you'd want law enforcement to do their due diligence to make sure you're not wrongfully accused.

There's plenty of successful people that have rose out of poverty, got their education, and moved on. By your logic, that shouldn't ever happen. I'm sorry, but those outside forces aren't somehow lighting that match or throwing rocks through windows for you. Unless someone had a gun to your head forcing you to do something or you have a true metal illness, everyone is responsible for their own decisions. If anything, it's on the parents to teach their kids that violence isn't the answer to your problems.
    Your are being ignorant. More so than I previously imagined, systemic racism and oppression have been around for decades. Yet even with Baltimore, Ferguson and other protests around the country people still ignore the social issues that plague minorities.

Yeah, because riots and protests happen because of one event. They are explosions of previous build up that has happened over generations. People are rioting and protesting over anger over social injustice but when people trashed Cleveland when LJ first left for the Heat that is ok right?

It is astounding how much people want to ignore how many race and social issues still affect today.

You do know Civil Rights isn't even 60 years old yet? You think decades, nay, hundreds of years of generational racism, and discrimination just went poof?

People who are minorities don't choose to be born in poverty and inequality. And coming out of such a thing, is very hard. It isn't as easy as you make it sound.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-03-2015 10:59 AM
    Your are being ignorant. More so than I previously imagined, systemic racism and oppression have been around for decades. Yet even with Baltimore, Ferguson and other protests around the country people still ignore the social issues that plague minorities.

Yeah, because riots and protests happen because of one event. They are explosions of previous build up that has happened over generations. People are rioting and protesting over anger over social injustice but when people trashed Cleveland when LJ first left for the Heat that is ok right?

It is astounding how much people want to ignore how many race and social issues still affect today.

You do know Civil Rights isn't even 60 years old yet? You think decades, nay, hundreds of years of generational racism, and discrimination just went poof?

People who are minorities don't choose to be born in poverty and inequality. And coming out of such a thing, is very hard. It isn't as easy as you make it sound.

Don't you know, we have a black President?

[RACISM]Black President [/Racism]

It's kind of funny but as I've explained dozens of times on here, I'm not black and even I notice the subtle racism even in places I wouldn't expect to see it. When I watch the news, it's amazing how many NEWS ANCHORS refer to President Obama as "Mr. Obama". It's like they have decided to bastardize his legitimacy. When I remember back to "Dubya's" Presidency, I don't ever recall anyone calling him "Mr. Bush". It was always "President Bush". Some yokels on the news still refer to him as "President Bush", they can't even bring themselves to call him "Former President Bush" because they don't want to acknowledge Obama's Presidency. It's subtle things like this that show you how racist our country is. What's sad is what these racist low level thinking mouth breathers fail to understand is that America would not be America if not for the diversity that so many of them reject. They may not know it, but they couldn't be anymore un-American.
    05-03-2015 12:33 PM

Don't you know, we have a black President?

[RACISM]Black President [/Racism]

It's kind of funny but as I've explained dozens of times on here, I'm not black and even I notice the subtle racism even in places I wouldn't expect to see it. When I watch the news, it's amazing how many NEWS ANCHORS refer to President Obama as "Mr. Obama". It's like they have decided to bastardize his legitimacy. When I remember back to "Dubya's" Presidency, I don't ever recall anyone calling him "Mr. Bush". It was always "President Bush". Some yokels on the news still refer to him as "President Bush", they can't even bring themselves to call him "Former President Bush" because they don't want to acknowledge Obama's Presidency. It's subtle things like this that show you how racist our country is. What's sad is what these racist low level thinking mouth breathers fail to understand is that America would not be America if not for the diversity that so many of them reject. They may not know it, but they couldn't be anymore un-American.
    What makes America so profound in its subtle racism is ignoring the past yet continually profit from said past. This entire country's economy was built on slavery until the 13th Amendment. Then Black Codes, then Jim Crow, then the crackdown on marijuana in the late 1900s which led the U.S. to have the biggest prison population. Then the systemic police targeting minorities and high arrest rate among minorities, then police brutality which goes back to before the civil rights movement, and supposed bias among the justice system. Higher arrest rates, longer sentences for the same crime as white people, it goes on and on.

Social issues are one of the biggest problems in the U.S. right now, gay rights, equality for women, better equality for minorities, to immigration. But nope, all people have to do is teach their kids not to be violent and be responsible for everything that happens to you. It'll work out.
    05-03-2015 01:55 PM
    What makes America so profound in its subtle racism is ignoring the past yet continually profit from said past. This entire country's economy was built on slavery until the 13th Amendment. Then Black Codes, then Jim Crow, then the crackdown on marijuana in the late 1900s which led the U.S. to have the biggest prison population. Then the systemic police targeting minorities and high arrest rate among minorities, then police brutality which goes back to before the civil rights movement, and supposed bias among the justice system. Higher arrest rates, longer sentences for the same crime as white people, it goes on and on.

Social issues are one of the biggest problems in the U.S. right now, gay rights, equality for women, better equality for minorities, to immigration. But nope, all people have to do is teach their kids not to be violent and be responsible for everything that happens to you. It'll work out.
    Don't forget, once they slowed down their exploitation of the black population, they then started exploiting the Chinese for building the railroads. What's funny is now much of the exploitation happens against illegal immigrants. They're being exploited on farm lands and jobs that mostly no others will touch (i.e. custodial and house-keeping). And then you have some factions of people that try to scream out "get out of my country!" Never seen so many people with such an entitlement attitude contribute so little to this country.
    A895 likes this.
    05-03-2015 03:10 PM
    Considering most of the cases where law enforcement are seen as heavy handed are happening in liberal/progressive cities, ever consider the problems lie with the people that keep electing officials that are seeking more control by government?
    I think it's more of an issue that candidates run on platforms that are tough on crime. Once they get elected to office, they try to implement those policies. So it's no surprise that the police are heavy-handed.
    05-05-2015 10:03 PM
    I think it's more of an issue that candidates run on platforms that are tough on crime. Once they get elected to office, they try to implement those policies. So it's no surprise that the police are heavy-handed.
    No, again. This is a good article on it:

6 Reasons Why The Cops Keep Killing People (Besides Racism) | Cracked.com

One of the big standouts is that, cops are trained that everyone you will meet may have a gun on them and that law enforcement became like street military. And above all else they are being trained to do whatever that ensures they survive which puts anyone at risk when facing a cop. They think you are reaching for anything, a few shots later, you are dead. And that is literally what happens sometimes. It is ridiculous and why other countries think we are hypocrites for being world police when police domestically have no accountability and are able to shoot citizens to death willy nilly.

I I have said before, we need to change law enforcement training across the country, and I know gun nuts hate it, but we need much stricter gun laws. if cops felt more safe and comfortable knowing that citizens would be less likely to have a gun, we would be less likely to be treated as gun toting maniacs. Not only that we need to work on law enforcement bias, anyone remember the black man that was shot in Walmart for carrying a gun that he could buy, but similarly white people can walk around restaurants and stores with assault rifles no problem?
    05-06-2015 06:57 AM
    What happened is that cops don't know how to enforce laws anymore and follow constitutional rights.
    This is where the Department of Justice can step in. It has the authority to bring police to court for civil rights violations.
    05-06-2015 08:12 PM
    I bet money that between Ferguson and Baltimore, if more of these police brutality cases go viral, I definitely foresee more race riots.
    How far can the race riots go if nothing is done? Could we see martial law in the United States?
    05-06-2015 08:17 PM
    Four black parole officers file civil suit
    http://www.cnn.com//2015/05/06/us/ne...ers/index.html

This is getting completely out of hand. The sad part is these officers are probably still on the job. I can't imagine how much worse these guys would be treated if they weren't parole officers.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    05-07-2015 01:43 AM
    Did you listen to the 911 recording? The caller mentioned the bullet proof vests and shields but an unmarked car. That's a clear possibility of law enforcement impersonators, which the real police take an aggressive stance against and have to be prepared for anything. Not only the reporting that indicated the parole officers were let go quickly, the body language of the officers at the end of the tape looks pretty relaxed, typical of a non-confrontational event. If more evidence comes out at the trial, so be it. But going on what the report was showing, I didn't see much wrong. Had the parole officers notified the local police ahead of time, the locals would have known going to the call that it's possible it's the other officers.
    05-07-2015 02:09 AM
    This is where the Department of Justice can step in. It has the authority to bring police to court for civil rights violations.
    That is exactly what the new Attorney General is going for:

In Baltimore, U.S. attorney general pledges to help police reform | Reuters
    05-07-2015 02:13 AM
    How far can the race riots go if nothing is done? Could we see martial law in the United States?
    Race Riots have been happening for years.

Greenwood (Tulsa) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whites flooded into the Greenwood district and destroyed the businesses and homes of African American residents. No one was exempt from the violence of the white mobs; men, women, and even children were killed by the mobs.The total number of deaths from the riot is unknown. African Americans were arrested and placed in detention camps. They remained detained for months. African Americans, eight years later, still hadn’t received financial reparations for the destruction of their community.
    Over 600 successful businesses were lost. An estimated eight thousand citizens were homeless. Over one thousand 1,200 homes destroyed. All black wealthy men and women lost everything. The year 1921.
    05-07-2015 02:16 AM
    Four black parole officers file civil suit
    Black parole officers file suit against white police - CNN.com

This is getting completely out of hand. The sad part is these officers are probably still on the job. I can't imagine how much worse these guys would be treated if they weren't parole officers.

Alexandre stated he was "punched" by a police lieutenant and was "forced out of his vehicle despite having identified himself as a parole officer," the documents state.

Penister said that when she attempted to show her New York State ID to a police sergeant, he "became enraged and approached her in a threatening manner with his hand held on the **** of his gun," court documents state. When all parole officers were identified, they allege they were still forcibly detained and not permitted to leave.
    Despicable. This is the type of stuff many minorities go through daily. Racial profiling is a big issue in NY. NYPD needs some reform ASAP.
    05-07-2015 02:19 AM
    You must have missed the part where the cops assaulted the parole officers and detained them for no reason. And they were unnecessarily rough. Don't excuse this please. This is a serious example of police overstepping their bounds. Also:

The parole officers state that they were all wearing their department-issued bullet proof vests with their gold badges displayed prominently around their necks. Additionally, they said their car had an official New York State placard displayed conspicuously on the dashboard, according to court documents.
    05-07-2015 02:21 AM
    You must have missed the part where the cops assaulted the parole officers and detained them for no reason.
    If that were the case, then CNN is in on it for editing out that part of the dash cam.
    05-07-2015 02:41 AM
    If that were the case, then CNN is in on it for editing out that part of the dash cam.
    Dash cam didn't catch everything. The parole officers all said this.

05-07-2015 03:03 AM
    That is exactly what the new Attorney General is going for:

In Baltimore, U.S. attorney general pledges to help police reform | Reuters
    It's refreshing to see Loretta Lynch meet with the different parties involved in Baltimore.

First, she met with the family of Freddie Gray. From the article:

"This is a flashpoint situation," Lynch told a group of officials after a private meeting with the Gray family. "We lost a young man's life and it begins to represent so many things."

She also addressed some of the police officers who were going on duty. Again, from the article:

"To all of you on the front lines, I want to thank you. You really have become the face of law enforcement," Lynch said. "We are here to help you work through these struggles."
    05-07-2015 02:02 PM
    You must have missed the part where the cops assaulted the parole officers and detained them for no reason. And they were unnecessarily rough. Don't excuse this please. This is a serious example of police overstepping their bounds. Also:
    I think some people see only what they want to see, it's called "tunnel vision".
    05-07-2015 06:58 PM
    I think some people see only what they want to see, it's called "tunnel vision".
    And it still baffles me people don't think racial profiling doesn't exist. Because not only was that police overstepping themselves they stopped for no other reason than they saw multiple black people in a car.
    05-07-2015 08:17 PM
    More whites have been killed by cops than blacks. The liberal/social justice warrior mindset absolutely cracks me up. The left has run the inner cities for decades, literally billions of dollars has been pumped into these areas since the middle part of the 20th century, and NOTHING of benefit has enured to the residents of these areas. Nothing. We have created and nurtured entire segments of our society to be totally dependent upon government. For multiple. generations. Well guess what...if it's government intervention you desire, this is the government intervention you get. This isn't a racial thing. This is a culture thing. And until that culture makes a decision to change from within, they're going to get the government they deserve.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    05-07-2015 09:02 PM
    This isn't a racial thing. This is a culture thing. And until that culture makes a decision to change from within, they're going to get the government they deserve.
    Your comment reminded me of the time Oprah Winfrey was talking about her Leadership Academy for Girls.

People criticized Oprah for opening a school in South Africa. They didn't understand why she didn't open a school in the United States. This was her response:

"Say what you will about the American educational system--it does work," she says. "If you are a child in the United States, you can get an education." And she doesn't think that American students--who, unlike Africans, go to school free of charge--appreciate what they have. "I became so frustrated with visiting inner-city schools that I just stopped going. The sense that you need to learn just isn't there," she says. "If you ask the kids what they want or need, they will say an iPod or some sneakers. In South Africa, they don't ask for money or toys. They ask for uniforms so they can go to school."

Newsweek -- Oprah Goes to School (article link)

So maybe you're onto something when you say it's a cultural thing.
    05-07-2015 09:27 PM
    Your comment reminded me of the time Oprah Winfrey was talking about her Leadership Academy for Girls.

People criticized Oprah for opening a school in South Africa. They didn't understand why she didn't open a school in the United States. This was her response:

"Say what you will about the American educational system--it does work," she says. "If you are a child in the United States, you can get an education." And she doesn't think that American students--who, unlike Africans, go to school free of charge--appreciate what they have. "I became so frustrated with visiting inner-city schools that I just stopped going. The sense that you need to learn just isn't there," she says. "If you ask the kids what they want or need, they will say an iPod or some sneakers. In South Africa, they don't ask for money or toys. They ask for uniforms so they can go to school."

Newsweek -- Oprah Goes to School (article link)

So maybe you're onto something when you say it's a cultural thing.
    Maybe the inner-city children here realize that the deck is stacked against them? I've worked with many people that have told me point blank that they have racist attitudes. I know of at least 3 people that have told me that they watch Hockey EXCLUSIVELY because there aren't many people of color that play. The way I see it is if even a small portion of people are bold enough to disclose such attitudes towards me, it means that there has to be more people that have similar attitudes but are too chicken to say anything about it.

A895 likes this.
    05-07-2015 10:19 PM
    Because not only was that police overstepping themselves they stopped for no other reason than they saw multiple black people in a car.
    No. They stopped an unmarked car that was reported to 911 to have several large men wearing bullet proof vests and shields. Nothing about race was mentioned in the call. The car was going to be stopped no matter what to investigate. What should the officers have done, say, "Oh, it's a group of black people so we better not stop them and just let them go on their merry way?"

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story, though.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    05-07-2015 10:44 PM
    Maybe the inner-city children here realize that the deck is stacked against them? I've worked with many people that have told me point blank that they have racist attitudes. I know of at least 3 people that have told me that they watch Hockey EXCLUSIVELY because there aren't many people of color that play. The way I see it is if even a small portion of people are bold enough to disclose such attitudes towards me, it means that there has to be more people that have similar attitudes but are too chicken to say anything about it.

There is no deck to stack. Everyone must make their own breaks. With very few exceptions, nothing is handed to anyone. EVERYONE has to overcome challenges in their lives. You either pull up your big boy or big girl panties and soldier on, or you don't. Does anyone actually think that a child of any ethnicity in rural Arkansas has it any better than a child of any ethnicity in inner-city Chicago? Some people will sink, some will swim. It's not society's fault when entire segments of the population fail. Again, that's a cultural failure, and it needs to be fixed within that culture. It's not government's responsibility. Again, the left has DOMINATED the political and cultural landscape in the inner-cities for more than a half century. Newsflash-it's gotten worse. Creating generational dependents on the government hasn't helped. Dependency begets dependency. Again, fix the culture. Take responsibility and quit looking for a scapegoat.

As far as racist attitudes go, there can be no doubt that they exist. But it's absurd to think that such negative attitudes run in only one direction. Such attitudes exist in ALL ethnic groups. Your limited anecdotal story of someone, presumably white, watching the NHL almost exclusively because there are few blacks is as telling as blacks watching the NBA almost exclusively because it's almost entirely black. People tend to focus their TV and entertainment viewership towards sports where their interests lie and where a large percentage of the participants look like them. It's human nature. You're not saying it's ok for one segment of the population to do this but not another, are you?
    Scott7217 likes this.
    05-07-2015 11:08 PM
126 1234 ...