04-04-2016 07:44 AM
126 123 ...
tools
    A US marshal was caught on video smashing a woman's phone:

CNET -- Woman filming law enforcement has phone smashed by federal agent (article link)

Even though it is legal to film the police as long as you are not interfering with their work, we have an instance of a federal officer destroying a woman's phone as she was recording.

Luckily, someone else was recording and caught the entire incident.
    04-23-2015 05:09 PM
    The more I see videos like this, and the more personal experiences I have with cops, the more I'm convinced that they're just outright thugs. During the Cold War, the U.S. made mention of how the Russian military would abuse its power. I can't help wonder now if we're going through the same thing now. "To protect and serve" has given way to "Intimidate and harass", apparently.
    A895 likes this.
    04-23-2015 05:29 PM
    The more I see videos like this, and the more personal experiences I have with cops, the more I'm convinced that they're just outright thugs.
    Well, Wayne LaPierre, the executive vice president of the NRA, likes to use the term, "jack-booted government thugs," to describe federal officials.
    Rim85 likes this.
    04-23-2015 05:46 PM
    Well, Wayne LaPierre, the executive vice president of the NRA, likes to use the term, "jack-booted government thugs," to describe federal officials.
    That's just because he's crazy and doesn't want restrictions or limits on guns at all. Except for where he is speaking of course. Then all of a sudden restrictions are magically okay.

As for the cops...it's clear that bad cops are getting through the hiring process. Why cities have allowed this when it is literally costing them millions of dollars in lawsuits against them is a mystery to me.
    A895 likes this.
    04-25-2015 01:36 PM
    I'm glad we live in the digital age where we can actually at least try and hold people accountable for what they do. More then anyone, law enforcement needs to be held to high standard and not let bozos who cost cities millions in lawsuits be hired.

We need to work on the vetting and training for aw enforcement pronto, country wide. Sweden makes cops take 2 years of training plus 6 months of rookie duty before they are full fledged cops. Here in the U.S. a cop can get through training in some places in as little as 9 weeks.

Posted via the Android Central App
    GadgetGator likes this.
    04-26-2015 03:20 PM
    That's just because he's crazy and doesn't want restrictions or limits on guns at all.
    I can understand that some people do not agree with Wayne LaPierre's politics with regards to the Second Amendment.

However, I find it interesting that they have come to a similar conclusion that cops and other members of law enforcement are "thugs" that have abused their power.
    04-28-2015 05:44 PM
    IWe need to work on the vetting and training for aw enforcement pronto, country wide.
    Hopefully you can get the police unions to agree to those initiatives.
    04-28-2015 05:46 PM
    I can understand that some people do not agree with Wayne LaPierre's politics with regards to the Second Amendment.

However, I find it interesting that they have come to a similar conclusion that cops and other members of law enforcement are "thugs" that have abused their power.
    Um....how many incidents do you need? How many videos? Are all cops thugs? No. But clearly we have a problem! There is rampant abuse in the system.
    04-29-2015 06:43 PM
    There is rampant abuse in the system.
    This is why you will get the same statement over and over: "The agency is currently reviewing the incident."
    04-30-2015 12:37 AM
    This is why you will get the same statement over and over: "The agency is currently reviewing the incident."
    What's actually taking place is "We're currently investigating to see if there is any footage that surfaces that would unravel our attempt to cover up our officer's actions".
    Scott7217 and A895 like this.
    04-30-2015 12:36 PM
    I was flipping through the radio stations the other day and heard a guy talk about what's taking place in Baltimore. He uttered these words in reference to what is taking place in many of our police run cities. It really resounded with me and it's sad that we have to be reminded how this country came to be, and how many in law enforcement are now the tyrants.

In CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen United States of America,
    When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
    I guess for everyone that thinks the rioters are "thugs", the founding fathers must've also been thugs.
    04-30-2015 06:08 PM
    I'm glad we live in the digital age where we can actually at least try and hold people accountable for what they do.
    When was the last time anyone in law enforcement was held accountable? We need to look at the successful cases and see what we can apply to what's going on today.
    04-30-2015 08:18 PM
    When was the last time anyone in law enforcement was held accountable? We need to look at the successful cases and see what we can apply to what's going on today.
    Some people get fired or suspended if they get caught on video. But other than that, nothing really major besides some lawsuits that don't directly affect the city.

04-30-2015 08:29 PM
    Some people get fired or suspended if they get caught on video. But other than that, nothing really major besides some lawsuits that don't directly affect the city.
    I know Officer Laurence Powell and Sergeant Stacey Koon went to prison a long time ago. I was hoping that we would have other examples.
    04-30-2015 08:44 PM
    05-01-2015 06:49 PM
    Law enforcement is simply charged with enforcing the laws, not creating them. They wouldn't be "roughing" so many people up if there wasn't so many laws to try and enforce. Considering most of the cases where law enforcement are seen as heavy handed are happening in liberal/progressive cities, ever consider the problems lie with the people that keep electing officials that are seeking more control by government?

There's a joke that you can't walk down a NYC sidewalk without breaking several laws. Or something to that effect. The more government grows and seeks control over our lives, the more it'll become a police state. Yet people continually vote these runaway politicians into office. I guess some people won't be happy until the entire U.S. is turned into Baltimore, because that's what you get with progressive politics.
    05-01-2015 08:47 PM
    From the CNN article:

An attorney for the union, the Baltimore Fraternal Order of Police, said the officers did nothing wrong.

"No officer injured Mr. Gray, caused harm to Mr. Gray, and they are truly saddened by his death," Michael Davey told reporters.
    05-01-2015 10:07 PM
    Law enforcement is simply charged with enforcing the laws, not creating them. They wouldn't be "roughing" so many people up if there wasn't so many laws to try and enforce. Considering most of the cases where law enforcement are seen as heavy handed are happening in liberal/progressive cities, ever consider the problems lie with the people that keep electing officials that are seeking more control by government?

There's a joke that you can't walk down a NYC sidewalk without breaking several laws. Or something to that effect. The more government grows and seeks control over our lives, the more it'll become a police state. Yet people continually vote these runaway politicians into office. I guess some people won't be happy until the entire U.S. is turned into Baltimore, because that's what you get with progressive politics.
    No, not at all. Progressive politics has jack nothing to do what happened in Baltimore. What happened is that cops don't know how to enforce laws anymore and follow constitutional rights. You can't blame people for law enforcement actions. People don't get to vote on what law enforcement does.

05-02-2015 08:50 AM

Umm negative. It's external conservitism that leads to these types of environments. Conservatives only want like minded people that worship the same god, have the same skin color, the same sexual orientation, the same political views and the same fascist mindset about big business. They want resources only allocated to their kind. If any other religion tries to take root, they get offended (See NY City synagogue controversy). The reason so many conservatives are itching to go to war in the middle east is because they truly believe that it's a holy war. I have news for them, they're the same people that put Christ to death. Kind of funny that the one person most of them claim to follow is the very same person that would condemn them today for their hate-filled war mongering incompassionate attitudes towards their fellow man. This same lack of empathy is what's plaguing our police state.
    05-02-2015 09:16 AM
    So let's blame people that have had next to nothing to do with the creation of the problems in an area instead of the people running the place and the ones that keep voting them in to office. That's a good one. :sly:
    Rim85 likes this.
    05-02-2015 10:55 AM
    So let's blame people that have had next to nothing to do with the creation of the problems in an area instead of the people running the place and the ones that keep voting them in to office. That's a good one. :sly:
    Next to nothing to do? So not giving the inner cities at least EQUAL funding for their public schools, leaving them with high unemployment rates, and then providing a system that harasses them is "next to nothing to do with the creation of the problems"? You really are blind aren't you? The saddest part is that you probably believe that a certain class of people are destined for misery because they're lazy and don't work hard. Many are tired of a system that doesn't work for them no matter how hard they try. The destruction is a direct result of their frustration boiling over. Something tells me that it's beyond a level of your understanding, which is fine. Just remember that when someone doesn't give you the same level of empathy that you seek after a loss or tragedy.
    A895 likes this.
    05-02-2015 12:48 PM
    So not giving the inner cities at least EQUAL funding for their public schools...
    School funding is primarily from state and local tax bases, with the federal government only supplementing a fraction of spending. Your argument is still invalid, and that's not even considering the constitutional debate about school funding and who should run it.

...leaving them with high unemployment rates...
    So creating unfavorable business climates (I.e. High regulation and tax costs) and residents that have little respect for their neighborhoods have nothing to do with it?

...and then providing a system that harasses them...
    They voted those politicians in themselves for decades, so again, this is a result of decades of their own doing.

The saddest part is that you probably believe that a certain class of people are destined for misery because they're lazy and don't work hard. Many are tired of a system that doesn't work for them no matter how hard they try.
    I do believe that some people will be destined for misery because of their laziness, but I also believe many would rise up and succeed if it weren't for an oppressive government.

Just remember that when someone doesn't give you the same level of empathy that you seek after a loss or tragedy.
    There's a huge difference between having empathy for someone that is suffering through no fault of their own and someone helping burn their city down because they aren't getting their way. Sounds to me like that may beyond your level of understanding, going by your logic.
    Rim85 likes this.
    05-02-2015 01:47 PM
    School funding is primarily from state and local tax bases, with the federal government only supplementing a fraction of spending. Your argument is still invalid, and that's not even considering the constitutional debate about school funding and who should run it.

So creating unfavorable business climates (I.e. High regulation and tax costs) and residents that have little respect for their neighborhoods have nothing to do with it?

They voted those politicians in themselves for decades, so again, this is a result of decades of their own doing.

I do believe that some people will be destined for misery because of their laziness, but I also believe many would rise up and succeed if it weren't for an oppressive government.

There's a huge difference between having empathy for someone that is suffering through no fault of their own and someone helping burn their city down because they aren't getting their way. Sounds to me like that may beyond your level of understanding, going by your logic.
    You obviously don't understand jack about the situation in Baltimore. It isn't a surprise, majority of conservatives don't. I guess you're also ignoring 6 cops are responsible for killing a citizen. Or the systemic racial inequality in Baltimore. Or the fact that there was a race riot in Baltimore a couple decades ago. But nope, somehow blame always shifts to everyone else but who created those conditions.

Like people want to live in poverty. And news flash not everyone was looting. I bet money that between Ferguson and Baltimore, if more of these police brutality cases go viral, I definitely foresee more race riots.

People continually ignore systematic racism and oppression like it is myth. Baltimore proves it isn't. Ferguson proves it isn't. How many more riots foes it take to see this is beyond a politics issue this goes back decades.

05-02-2015 02:01 PM
    I certainly agree that the cops should be investigated and charged depending on the outcome of said investigation of any questionable action. I don't agree that people should jump to conclusions and start protesting and rioting straight out of the gate because of their own misconceptions.

Regardless of the circumstances, only YOU are responsible for your actions.
    05-02-2015 09:01 PM
    I certainly agree that the cops should be investigated and charged depending on the outcome of said investigation of any questionable action.
    I am serious, have you not been paying attention at all to what is happening? Cops have been doing the OPPOSITE. They are hiding each others wrongdoings and sweep stuff under the rug, and the questionable stuff is either ignored or multiple cops participate in it as we see with Baltimore.
    Have you heard about Rough Rides?

In Baltimore and other cities, police have used 'rough rides' as payback in the past - LA Times

I don't agree that people should jump to conclusions
    Seriously? A guy is wrongfully arrested on video, and is thrown in a cop van and is in police custody and his spine is broken and dies. You wouldn't think cops did it? Or you think he brought on himself?

and start protesting
    Yes people will protest when multiple black men and women are victims of police brutality. But go ahead and think otherwise.

and rioting straight out of the gate because of their own misconceptions.
    They were protesting peacefully for DAYS!! Like all of last week was peaceful protests, the riots started earlier this week and died around Thursday. And there were no misconceptions, the cops did murder that man.

Regardless of the circumstances, only YOU are responsible for your actions.
    Regardless of circumstances? So poverty, lack of education and jobs have no affect on what happens to a person? Unbelievable. Baltimore is cited to have 30% of unemployment for young men, that has no bearing on what happens to them though correct?
    05-03-2015 09:54 AM
126 123 ...