CNN -- Obama will restrict grenade launchers, military equipment from local police (article link)

President Obama has issued an executive order to restrict the type of military equipment federal agencies can give to police.

Things that are banned include:

- Tank-like armored vehicles that move on tracks
    - Certain types of camouflage uniforms
    - Bayonets
    - Firearms and ammunition of .50 caliber or higher
    - Grenade launchers
    - Weaponized aircraft

Police that insist on obtaining the restricted equipment will have to go to private sellers instead of the federal government.
    05-22-2015 04:25 AM
    To be honest, I'm fine with this. The only possible exception I would make is for the ammunition and weapons over .50 caliber.

The United States is supposed to be a free place, not a police state. I say that working for a former police officer and member of our local FOP Lodge.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-23-2015 09:45 PM
    If an ordinary citizen cannot own a particular weapon, then the police should not have them.
    A895 likes this.
    05-25-2015 06:11 PM
    If an ordinary citizen cannot own a particular weapon, then the police should not have them.
    This.

Posted via Razr M on the Android Central App
    05-26-2015 04:09 AM
    To be honest, I'm fine with this. The only possible exception I would make is for the ammunition and weapons over .50 caliber.
    The executive order carves out an exception that allows law enforcement to go to private sellers if they need a weapon that is restricted. So, it looks like if the police wants something .50 caliber or higher (for example), they just need to do a bit more shopping.
    05-26-2015 07:11 PM
    Cops are generally men, and men have a propensity to want whatever makes them seem more "manly". It's funny how we as men try to out do each other. The things our society champions will be our downfall.
    05-26-2015 11:54 PM
    YES. Police should not have the opportunity to have access to such excessive force to use on citizens in any situation. Giving them tanks and high caliber firearms is overkill, and quite scary.
    A895 likes this.
    05-31-2015 09:16 AM
    Giving them tanks and high caliber firearms is overkill, and quite scary.
    I'm not sure if any US police force has tanks. US tanks have Chobham armor, which is classified. Giving away tanks would pose a security risk.

As for high caliber firearms, I've always heard that they're used for specialized purposes, like shooting out the engine block of a moving vehicle.
    06-04-2015 05:59 PM
    I'm not sure if any US police force has tanks. US tanks have Chobham armor, which is classified. Giving away tanks would pose a security risk.

As for high caliber firearms, I've always heard that they're used for specialized purposes, like shooting out the engine block of a moving vehicle.
    Sounds like the most niche usage case ever. It sounds like a poor excuse.

06-05-2015 04:29 AM
    Sounds like the most niche usage case ever. It sounds like a poor excuse.
    That's because the high caliber weapons in question are niche weapons. It makes sense to use a niche weapon to handle a niche usage case.

I like how you say it sounds like a poor excuse. However, you haven't said that there's no excuse whatsoever to use these weapons.

Furthermore, you haven't disagreed with Obama's decision to let police purchase these weapons from private sellers. Having a 100% ban would be too restrictive.
    06-07-2015 04:01 AM
    That's because the high caliber weapons in question are niche weapons. It makes sense to use a niche weapon to handle a niche usage case.

I like how you say it sounds like a poor excuse. However, you haven't said that there's no excuse whatsoever to use these weapons.

Furthermore, you haven't disagreed with Obama's decision to let police purchase these weapons from private sellers. Having a 100% ban would be too restrictive.
    I didn't know Obama did that. I disagree with that too.

06-07-2015 06:36 AM
    I didn't know Obama did that. I disagree with that too.
    A lot of people disagree with President Obama on a variety of issues, so you're not alone.

Given that the police will now have to go to private sellers if they still want these weapons specified in the executive order, would you suspect that most of these private sellers are Democrats?

Perhaps that's where you will find your reasoning behind Obama's decision.
    06-09-2015 08:09 PM
    Well, we do have civilians who own tanks. For example, Arnold Schwarzenegger owns one:

YouTube -- Will it Crush?

I also find it interesting that per Obama's executive order, the disqualifying feature of a tank is its tracks. It's not the armor or the weapons on-board. No, it is the method of locomotion that makes a tank unsuitable for police to acquire from the federal government.

Of course, armored vehicles using wheels are just fine.
    06-16-2015 05:44 PM