08-22-2015 05:40 PM
34 12
tools
    This alone wouldn't make me want to vote for Clinton, but I do agree with her new proposal that voter registration should be automatic and to have more early voting options.

Article link

It's not clear if that would also allow registration of people that would otherwise have lost their voting rights under current laws, but that is one exception I think should be included in the proposal. I also support voting I.D. Laws, so I don't think the Republican cries of possible voter fraud would be an issue as long as you can show your government issued I.D. Perhaps combining the two would help increase participation while reducing the chance of fraud.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    06-05-2015 12:11 PM
    I agree, automatic registration is a fantastic idea! Yes, we should have to show some form of ID. However, I remember reading that Scott Walker changed legislation that made student ID's not a valid ID. This while those students are in school. My question is, why? If someone is in school, that is a valid ID. They are paying for it and will 90+% of the time be legal voters.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-05-2015 04:36 PM
    I'm a number of years out of school, so I can't speak to today's standards of student I.D. Back then, *IF* a school had them, they were about as secure as a company name tag. If the states set a standard that schools can meet to equate a government issued I.D., then perhaps it could be considered. Then again, government issued I.D.'s are typically the only identification accepted for governmental business (so a school I.D. would then become a special exception that can open another can of worms), and every adult should have a government I.D. already (drivers license, state issued I.D., military I.D., etc.).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-05-2015 05:44 PM
    I'm a number of years out of school, so I can't speak to today's standards of student I.D. Back then, *IF* a school had them, they were about as secure as a company name tag. If the states set a standard that schools can meet to equate a government issued I.D., then perhaps it could be considered. Then again, government issued I.D.'s are typically the only identification accepted for governmental business (so a school I.D. would then become a special exception that can open another can of worms), and every adult should have a government I.D. already (drivers license, state issued I.D., military I.D., etc.).
    So if you are of age and you don't have start I.D. you can't vote? Sounds a little unfair. Not everyone has a state I.D. Very few low income jobs require them. And is you only take public transportation, your don't need one to get around. Hmmm. Yeah that doesn't flow with me.

06-05-2015 06:15 PM
    Nothing unfair about being able to verify your citizen and voting status. But really, how hard is it in today's world to obtain an I.D.? If you can't afford to buy the I.D. once every couple years or more, then I'd have to ask how you're surviving. Heck, my WI license is good for 8 years at a time and a regular one is $34 (my CDL is $74, still a decent price), a non-driving regular 8 year I.D. is $28, and a voting only I.D. card can be obtained free. WI also allows open early and absentee voting, and you can even vote from your car at curbside if you have a disability keeping you from being able to enter the polling place.

I don't see how someone on even the thinnest of budgets can't afford an I.D. For WI, you'd only have to save $0.36/mo to renew a drivers license for crying out loud. I know some states may cost more, but they still last for years at a time, so they are relatively cheap (If not free like in WI's voting I.D. case). It's not like I'm asking them to spend $100 and travel each month to renew one.
    06-05-2015 07:08 PM
    Nothing unfair about being able to verify your citizen and voting status. But really, how hard is it in today's world to obtain an I.D.? If you can't afford to buy the I.D. once every couple years or more, then I'd have to ask how you're surviving. Heck, my WI license is good for 8 years at a time and a regular one is $34 (my CDL is $74, still a decent price), a non-driving regular 8 year I.D. is $28, and a voting only I.D. card can be obtained free. WI also allows open early and absentee voting, and you can even vote from your car at curbside if you have a disability keeping you from being able to enter the polling place.

I don't see how someone on even the thinnest of budgets can't afford an I.D. For WI, you'd only have to save $0.36/mo to renew a drivers license for crying out loud. I know some states may cost more, but they still last for years at a time, so they are relatively cheap (If not free like in WI's voting I.D. case). It's not like I'm asking them to spend $100 and travel each month to renew one.
    Why does there need to be a restriction on voters in the first place? It is our natural right to vote, I don't see how any type of barrier helps anything. The time and energy it takes to get an ID card may seem small to you, but to some that requires taking a day to go the DMV or whatever to wait in line, pay and wait. Some people may even think, I am just spitballing here, maybe if it takes all that to just vote for something that will make minimal difference in their life why do it?

So then that is a vote lost. And that can repeat itself among other people. There is a lot of low income people who don't have a State ID. Why does the lack of one thing all of sudden trump their constitutional right to vote?

Any restriction on any type of vote is only built for one thing and that is to limit minority and Hispanic votes as they always swing left. And with both groups accounting together close 40% of the population you can thin the herd making votes more favorable towards Republicans.

Very unfair. But that's my opinion.

06-05-2015 08:41 PM
    Again with the code talk?

First off, having to prove you're a legal resident to vote isn't a restriction, it's a step in insuring the legitimacy of the vote. While I talked well about the WI I.D.'s, I do think it's troubling that when I go vote, all they ask is for a name and address. They have no idea of I am who I say I am. I also don't buy your point about going to the DMV or whatever to get an I.D. For one, those low wage earners are not going to be a typical 9-5'er. They will be working odd schedules that include having days off during the week when government offices are open. If anything, it's the more well to do people in those more normal jobs that should be complaining about that aspect because they then have to take the day off when they should be working, or go on a Saturday when the offices are open shorter hours (if at all). It's also one freaking day every few years or more. No one's schedule is that tight that they can't schedule something, even if it means catching a ride from a friend or relative. So yes, I do think you're spit balling on that one. Like I said last time, we're not talking about going often and paying a lot for an I.D.

Besides, why should they be the only ones that get pitty for dealing with the long lines and poor service of the DMV?
    06-05-2015 10:29 PM
    Again with the code talk?

First off, having to prove you're a legal resident to vote isn't a restriction, it's a step in insuring the legitimacy of the vote. While I talked well about the WI I.D.'s, I do think it's troubling that when I go vote, all they ask is for a name and address. They have no idea of I am who I say I am. I also don't buy your point about going to the DMV or whatever to get an I.D. For one, those low wage earners are not going to be a typical 9-5'er. They will be working odd schedules that include having days off during the week when government offices are open. If anything, it's the more well to do people in those more normal jobs that should be complaining about that aspect because they then have to take the day off when they should be working, or go on a Saturday when the offices are open shorter hours (if at all). It's also one freaking day every few years or more. No one's schedule is that tight that they can't schedule something, even if it means catching a ride from a friend or relative. So yes, I do think you're spit balling on that one. Like I said last time, we're not talking about going often and paying a lot for an I.D.

Besides, why should they be the only ones that get pitty for dealing with the long lines and poor service of the DMV?
    You didn't answer my question why do you want to restrict people's right to vote? And I see you didn't even address the fact that Vote I.D. laws are only to lower minority votes that are majority Democrat.

I don't see how people can be for more restrictions on people's rights yet, Republicans and Conservatives love the constitution. Only when it benefits the older, white and wealthy though. And again, you haven't been in a situation where Voter I.D. laws could be more a hindrance than you think. As someone who came from a situation like those from low income, taking an entire day to get something to do something else isn't as convenient as you say.

And let's not forget that the main reason Republicans say we need voter ID laws is so there can't be any voter fraud which the Right has repeatedly failed to prove is a big enough problem to even have such laws in the first place.

06-06-2015 10:42 AM
    You didn't answer my question why do you want to restrict people's right to vote? And I see you didn't even address the fact that Vote I.D. laws are only to lower minority votes that are majority Democrat.
    I did answer your question. Proving your identity when you vote isn't a restriction, plain and simple. I also addressed your conspiracy about it being meant for lowering democratic turnout. Not everything is code talk.
    06-06-2015 10:55 AM
    I did answer your question. Proving your identity when you vote isn't a restriction, plain and simple. I also addressed your conspiracy about it being meant for lowering democratic turnout. Not everything is code talk.
    Lol, so again why do we need ID vote laws then? And let's stop playing innocent, we both known this will affect low income people the most. And this will affect Democrat votes. And those who are low income are often minorities.

06-06-2015 11:19 AM
    If someone is so lazy that they can't afford what amounts to pennies a month and don't want to put in the effort to get an ID once every few years (even when it's free), then chances are they aren't willing to take the time and effort to vote anyway. So in the long run, it's really a non-issue to me.
    06-06-2015 11:58 AM
    If someone is so lazy that they can't afford what amounts to pennies a month and don't want to put in the effort to get an ID once every few years (even when it's free), then chances are they aren't willing to take the time and effort to vote anyway. So in the long run, it's really a non-issue to me.
    Wow. You really think they wouldn't vote? So Obama getting so many minority and those of low income votes was just an illusion? And even more so how uncaring you are towards any hurdles that are further put in place for those of low income.

Republicans and conservatives always want to put down and make low income and minorities go through hurdles but always quick to say "stop complaining and bootstraps and whatnot etc.".

It isn't a secret that the current state of the United States is designed that low income people suffer the most and nowadays middle class people are starting to see some of the same hurdles the lower class faces.

Republicans do nothing for the lower income but always want tax breaks for the wealthy and bus businesses who further widen the gap between the rich and poor.

We already saw what happens when we give the rich too much leeway. The financial crisis of 2008 is proof of that.

06-06-2015 12:56 PM
    Wow. You really think they wouldn't vote? So Obama getting so many minority and those of low income votes was just an illusion? And even more so how uncaring you are towards any hurdles that are further put in place for those of low income.
    Incorrect. I think those voting now will get ID's as needed and keep voting.

Seriously, how many people do you think there are that are so cash strapped, AND so busy, AND with zero transportation, that there's no way they could spare a day (if that) every few years? And of those people, how many do you think are able to somehow find the time and transportation to go vote every year? Maybe one of those voting days they should also get their ID. Boom, two birds with one stone.

Anyway, as for the original topic, have any opinion about that?
    06-06-2015 01:59 PM
    Incorrect. I think those voting now will get ID's as needed and keep voting.

Seriously, how many people do you think there are that are so cash strapped, AND so busy, AND with zero transportation, that there's no way they could spare a day (if that) every few years? And of those people, how many do you think are able to somehow find the time and transportation to go vote every year? Maybe one of those voting days they should also get their ID. Boom, two birds with one stone.

Anyway, as for the original topic, have any opinion about that?
    Automatic registration for voting is a good idea, no ID stuff though.

06-06-2015 04:17 PM
    This alone wouldn't make me want to vote for Clinton, but I do agree with her new proposal that voter registration should be automatic and to have more early voting options.

Article link
    The article mentions that Clinton's proposals would require approval from Congress, and that's not likely to happen in time for the 2016 elections. What Clinton is suggesting may be more suitable for long-term changes in US elections.

For now, people will have to use what's available in their state.
    06-07-2015 03:30 AM
    Why does there need to be a restriction on voters in the first place? It is our natural right to vote, I don't see how any type of barrier helps anything.
    The US Constitution defers voter eligibility requirements to the states.

For people who are having difficulties in the voting process, the local offices of the political parties (e.g. Democrats and Republicans) can help.

You simply contact a local office. They will help you because they have a vested interest in getting your vote so that their candidates win the election.
    06-11-2015 10:13 PM
    The US Constitution defers voter eligibility requirements to the states.

For people who are having difficulties in the voting process, the local offices of the political parties (e.g. Democrats and Republicans) can help.

You simply contact a local office. They will help you because they have a vested interest in getting your vote so that their candidates win the election.
    That's right. Does anyone remember Black Codes? That was when states purposely put up barriers so Black's couldn't vote. A mandatory ID thing is a barrier. Granted not on the same level, but just as unnecessary.

06-12-2015 12:38 AM
    A mandatory ID thing is a barrier.
    This is why I suggested contacting the Democrats or Republicans for help.

For example, let's say I wanted to vote for Hillary Clinton, but I don't have an ID because I don't have a convenient way to get to the government office that issues ID cards.

If I call the local chapter of the Democrats and tell them that I want to vote for Clinton, but I'm having problems with getting an ID, they might be able to arrange for a volunteer to pick me up and drive me to the government office so that I can get my ID card.

Since the election is still a few months away, it's better for people to get these issues taken care of now while there is still time.
    06-16-2015 04:45 PM
    This is why I suggested contacting the Democrats or Republicans for help.

For example, let's say I wanted to vote for Hillary Clinton, but I don't have an ID because I don't have a convenient way to get to the government office that issues ID cards.

If I call the local chapter of the Democrats and tell them that I want to vote for Clinton, but I'm having problems with getting an ID, they might be able to arrange for a volunteer to pick me up and drive me to the government office so that I can get my ID card.

Since the election is still a few months away, it's better for people to get these issues taken care of now while there is still time.
    Something like that would never happen.

06-16-2015 11:17 PM
    There was no voting fraud. No evidence of voting fraud. None. There wasn't any. There were never any numbers to support a voting fraud problem in any state that implemented "voting rights" restrictions. It cost each state that put them in place millions of dollars to do so. This isn't about voting fraud. It was and is about the republicans disenfranchising voters who don't vote for them. It's sad and pathetic really.

A895 likes this.
    06-16-2015 11:38 PM
    It was and is about the republicans disenfranchising voters who don't vote for them.
    Well, which elections were affected?

If we're talking about the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections, there would be no effect. Barack Obama won both elections.

Even if there were people who were denied their vote, if they were going to vote for Obama, the results would be the same. Obama would still be president.
    06-17-2015 12:39 AM
    Well, which elections were affected?

If we're talking about the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections, there would be no effect. Barack Obama won both elections.

Even if there were people who were denied their vote, if they were going to vote for Obama, the results would be the same. Obama would still be president.
    Are you really not getting it?

06-18-2015 11:07 AM
    Something like that would never happen.
    I suppose there would be cases where the Democrats would be unwilling to help people.

That's why in the scenario I outlined, I specifically expressed a desire to cast a vote for Hillary Clinton. I figured that would make the Democrats more willing to help people with getting ID cards, voter registration, etc.

If the Democrats aren't willing to help, perhaps that's an indication that they do not deserve anyone's support in the first place.
    06-19-2015 05:22 AM
    Are you really not getting it?
    I think we can agree that the election process must be free from tampering. If there is fraud of any sort, then the democratic process is in jeopardy.
    06-19-2015 05:39 AM

The problem you are thinking of it as cost per month bases. While 0.36 a month is not going to break someone but that is not where they feel it.
    It is that upfront cost, $34 as a one time hit can be painful. Lets not forget to add in that same group often times would have to miss work to go while the DMV is open. Base case you are talking 3-4 hours of pay is not also given up if you can do it. Now when you add that in that $34 jumps a lot faster and that is even if they would be allowed by work to do that.

I know I drag my feet going to the DMV to replace my lost DL. Cost it is cheap, time wise that is a different story. I can barely pull it off with out having to take any PTO. That time limit is 2 hours and when I say I can barely do it I mean barely. 20-30 mins drive each way. That leaves sub 1 hour at the place. Not much time at the DMV. Top it off this is one of the faster DMV in the state and I am able to fairly easily juggle my work around it to go during very low time spans.
    A895 likes this.
    08-14-2015 12:43 PM
34 12