08-28-2015 10:52 PM
36 12
tools
    Conservatives have tiptoed and said "no comment" in regards to Bruce Jenner's transformation into Caitlyn Jenner.

Caitlyn Jenner comes out, and social conservatives take an apocalyptic view - The Washington Post

This brings up the question, if Republicans want the 2016 nom, what is going to be their stance on LGBT rights when its support and base is much bigger than it has ever been?

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-05-2015 06:24 PM
    This brings up the question, if Republicans want the 2016 nom, what is going to be their stance on LGBT rights when its support and base is much bigger than it has ever been?
    Well, here's a statement from the Log Cabin Republicans on Caitlyn (formerly Bruce) Jenner's decision to go public as a transgender person:

"As the nation’s only organization representing LGBT conservatives and straight allies, Log Cabin Republicans congratulates Bruce Jenner in the tremendous courage he demonstrated tonight, being true to himself both in terms of his personal identity as well as his political identity. There is a home for you in Log Cabin Republicans — as there is for all lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, and transgender conservatives and straight allies."

Log Cabin Republicans -- Log Cabin Republicans Welcomes Bruce Jenner as Out, Transgender Republican (press release)

As for the Republican stance on LGBT issues, you probably need to ask people like Caitlyn Jenner on why they prefer to be Republican.
    06-07-2015 04:11 AM
    Well, here's a statement from the Log Cabin Republicans on Caitlyn (formerly Bruce) Jenner's decision to go public as a transgender person:

"As the nation’s only organization representing LGBT conservatives and straight allies, Log Cabin Republicans congratulates Bruce Jenner in the tremendous courage he demonstrated tonight, being true to himself both in terms of his personal identity as well as his political identity. There is a home for you in Log Cabin Republicans — as there is for all lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, and transgender conservatives and straight allies."

Log Cabin Republicans -- Log Cabin Republicans Welcomes Bruce Jenner as Out, Transgender Republican (press release)

As for the Republican stance on LGBT issues, you probably need to ask people like Caitlyn Jenner on why they prefer to be Republican.
    That is most puzzling in itself. Why would she be Republican when they are known to be antigay? And the Log Cabin Republicans aren't Republican politicians and presidential hopefuls who are actively avoiding the issue.

06-07-2015 06:38 AM
    That is most puzzling in itself. Why would she be Republican when they are known to be antigay? And the Log Cabin Republicans aren't Republican politicians and presidential hopefuls who are actively avoiding the issue.
    That's one of the benefits of living in America. You can believe in any political party you want.

In any case, did you know that Caitlyn Jenner was a Republican before you created this forum thread?

As for Republican candidates, Lindsey Graham said the following:

"If Caitlyn Jenner wants to be a Republican, she is welcome in my party."

Maybe Graham is the Republican candidate you're looking for.
    06-09-2015 08:00 PM
    That's one of the benefits of living in America. You can believe in any political party you want.

In any case, did you know that Caitlyn Jenner was a Republican before you created this forum thread?

As for Republican candidates, Lindsey Graham said the following:

"If Caitlyn Jenner wants to be a Republican, she is welcome in my party."

Maybe Graham is the Republican candidate you're looking for.
    I knew she was Republican already, I just don't understand her reasoning for it.

06-10-2015 05:43 PM
    I knew she was Republican already, I just don't understand her reasoning for it.
    Unless Caitlyn Jenner gives an in-depth explanation of her reasoning for being a Republican, we can only speculate in general terms.

First of all, would it make sense that if the Republican party has nothing to offer to the LGBT community, we should expect no LGBT members at all within the Republican party? I think this is a good place to start.
    06-11-2015 07:02 PM
    Unless Caitlyn Jenner gives an in-depth explanation of her reasoning for being a Republican, we can only speculate in general terms.

First of all, would it make sense that if the Republican party has nothing to offer to the LGBT community, we should expect no LGBT members at all within the Republican party? I think this is a good place to start.
    That's not my point. People can choose whatever party they want. But it makes no logical sense why someone who is LGBT would support the Republicans. But that's their decision.

06-12-2015 12:45 AM
    People can choose whatever party they want. But it makes no logical sense why someone who is LGBT would support the Republicans.
    However, the facts do not support your position. Caitlyn Jenner is an LGBT person who is a Republican.

We must therefore conclude that there is a portion of the Republican platform that would appeal to LGBT people. We simply don't know which portion, especially in Jenner's case.
    06-12-2015 06:24 PM
    However, the facts do not support your position. Caitlyn Jenner is an LGBT person who is a Republican.

We must therefore conclude that there is a portion of the Republican platform that would appeal to LGBT people. We simply don't know which portion, especially in Jenner's case.
    You are not understanding what I am saying. If a party public position is antigay and you are gay, what makes you support that patty regardless if they do have portions that are appealing.

More than anything gay rights should trump anything if you are gay because they are your personal rights that affect you directly. If I wanted to be Democrat and they were still racist like they used be and didn't support civil rights, I definitely would not be Democrat regardless if they had other portions that appealed to me.

06-13-2015 10:26 AM
    You are not understanding what I am saying. If a party public position is antigay and you are gay, what makes you support that patty regardless if they do have portions that are appealing.

More than anything gay rights should trump anything if you are gay because they are your personal rights that affect you directly. If I wanted to be Democrat and they were still racist like they used be and didn't support civil rights, I definitely would not be Democrat regardless if they had other portions that appealed to me.

I cannot say for certain why one would belong to a party if he or she disagreed on one specific plank in that party's platform, such as Democrats in the 60s or Republicans nowadays, but it could be to support a candidate who really is more similar to an Independent or other party. Let's face it, one cannot get elected to a major seat without a "D" or an "R" next to his/her name on the ballot. One might be more Libertarian leaning and choose a candidate who is listed as Republican but is more like Ayn Rand than the Christian Coalition.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    06-15-2015 03:44 PM
    I cannot say for certain why one would belong to a party if he or she disagreed on one specific plank in that party's platform, such as Democrats in the 60s or Republicans nowadays, but it could be to support a candidate who really is more similar to an Independent or other party. Let's face it, one cannot get elected to a major seat without a "D" or an "R" next to his/her name on the ballot. One might be more Libertarian leaning and choose a candidate who is listed as Republican but is more like Ayn Rand than the Christian Coalition.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    I can see that. I honestly wasn't to align myself with the Green Party, but they have no major members in Georgia. They are all city employees, or school district employee and a couple are state legislators. So instead I have to vote for Democrats as they are the second choice if I actually want real high profile politicians who can do more.

I honestly wasn't to see what is get personal views on major issues to see maybe what makes her be Republican.

06-15-2015 10:28 PM
    I honestly wasn't to see what is get personal views on major issues to see maybe what makes her be Republican.
    In my previous comment, I had said that we can only speculate in general terms unless Caitlyn Jenner gives an in-depth explanation of her reasoning for being a Republican.

Perhaps she may eventually give such an explanation, but until that happens, we have to wait.

For now, any conjecture that suggests that Jenner is not a Republican is simply in denial of the facts.

In any case, it's good to know that people can be LGBT and Republican at the same time.
    06-16-2015 04:28 PM
    More than anything gay rights should trump anything if you are gay because they are your personal rights that affect you directly.
    I think when Diane Sawyer asked Caitlyn Jenner if she was gay, she said no. This was during the 20/20 interview on ABC News.

Given that Caitlyn Jenner is a Christian, it makes sense for her to be a Republican. Republicans tend to be very supportive of Christians. Perhaps Jenner's religious beliefs trump everything else.
    06-19-2015 05:28 PM
    I think when Diane Sawyer asked Caitlyn Jenner if she was gay, she said no. This was during the 20/20 interview on ABC News.

Given that Caitlyn Jenner is a Christian, it makes sense for her to be a Republican. Republicans tend to be very supportive of Christians. Perhaps Jenner's religious beliefs trump everything else.
    Or money. There are some misguided gay people who value wealth above their own rights. The GOP party tends to be the party the wealthy want to vote for over their promise of low taxes. And let's face it, Jenner isn't exactly poor.
    A895 likes this.
    08-03-2015 06:56 PM
    There are some misguided gay people who value wealth above their own rights. The GOP party tends to be the party the wealthy want to vote for over their promise of low taxes.
    People are allowed to support whatever political party they feel will best support their needs.

What Caitlyn Jenner's experience shows is that it is okay to be an LGBT person who is Christian and Republican.
    08-05-2015 04:38 PM
    People are allowed to support whatever political party they feel will best support their needs.

What Caitlyn Jenner's experience shows is that it is okay to be an LGBT person who is Christian and Republican.
    Okay to who? Many Republican Christians would disagree!
    08-06-2015 02:23 PM
    Okay to who? Many Republican Christians would disagree!
    It is okay to anyone who is LGBT.

It's fine for people to disagree. In America, we disagree about everything.

The bottom line is that you cannot say that there are no Republican or Christian LGBT people.
    08-06-2015 03:14 PM
    It is okay to anyone who is LGBT.

It's fine for people to disagree. In America, we disagree about everything.

The bottom line is that you cannot say that there are no Republican or Christian LGBT people.
    And who ever did? No one.
    08-06-2015 04:07 PM
    And who ever did? No one.
    It's quite the opposite, really. All you need to do is look.
    08-06-2015 04:39 PM
    It's quite the opposite, really. All you need to do is look.
    I have never heard anyone, not even in the gay community, say that there are no gay Republicans. I might question why, but I don't make the claim that there aren't any. Neither has anyone I have ever talked to. It's hard to deny when they have a booth at the gay pride festival! Same with gay Christians.
    Scott7217, Laura Knotek and A895 like this.
    08-06-2015 07:42 PM
    I have never heard anyone, not even in the gay community, say that there are no gay Republicans. I might question why, but I don't make the claim that there aren't any. Neither has anyone I have ever talked to. It's hard to deny when they have a booth at the gay pride festival! Same with gay Christians.
    Thank you for agreeing with me. I'm tired of hearing people say that there are no LGBT people who are Republican, Christian, or both. None of these are mutually exclusive! With the way some people talk, you'd think everyone who's LGBT is a non-Christian Democrat.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-06-2015 08:32 PM
    I'm a conservative and I have no problems with Jenner, or any other LGBT people. (I am tired of all the news about Jenner, but not what Jenner decided to do.)

However, I do not believe a republican has to come out in favor of the LGBT community to win. The republicans I know, who are pro-LGBT, myself included; or the few friends I have who are gay, are more worried about foreign affairs and the economy.

Just my simple opinion from the ultra conservative state of ID.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    08-12-2015 10:16 AM
    I'm a conservative and I have no problems with Jenner, or any other LGBT people. (I am tired of all the news about Jenner, but not what Jenner decided to do.)

However, I do not believe a republican has to come out in favor of the LGBT community to win. The republicans I know, who are pro-LGBT, myself included; or the few friends I have who are gay, are more worried about foreign affairs and the economy.

Just my simple opinion from the ultra conservative state of ID.
    Over time do you think an anti-gay conservative could win a general election though? I say no. It would be as likely as a KKK member winning. I just don't see that happening. Could they win 2016? Maybe, but I am not even sure about that.
    08-12-2015 07:35 PM
    It would be as likely as a KKK member winning.
    Well if the democrats could keep re-electing Robert Byrd, then it's certainly a possibility.
    08-12-2015 11:16 PM
    Well if the democrats could keep re-electing Robert Byrd, then it's certainly a possibility.
    That was then. I am comparing apples to apples, not today with the past or talking about partisan races. A KKK member could not win a general election for the White House. Here. Today.
    Now.
    A895 likes this.
    08-13-2015 01:02 PM
36 12